Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, register to take part in our community, don't worry this is a simple FREE process that requires minimal information for you to signup.

Registered users can: 

• Start new topics and reply to others.
  • Show off your PC using our Rig Creator feature.
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get updates.
  • Get your own profile page to customize.
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.
  • Upgrade to Premium to unlock additional sites features.
IGNORED

PfSense + VPN Issues

Hey guys, 

I need some assistance from anyone who has configured a VPN on their PfSense firewall. To cut a long story short, I moved to a new ISP that deploys CGNAT. This makes port forwarding virtually impossible which affects my ability to broadcast Plex outside of my network. 

I have since signed up with PureVPN that offers a dedicated IP with Port forwarding. I have everything setup on PfSense and the VPN is connected, so that is all good. The issue I am having is that I want to configure firewall rules on PfSense to direct only my Plex server over the VPN WAN, but the rest of my networked devices over the standard WAN. I have followed various guides and I am 99% of the way there but with my current configuration, either all of my network ends up over the VPN, or none at all. Here is the current configs with respect to LAN Rules and Outbound Rules, I am fairly sure I have the rules in the correct order as well.

LAN Rules 

image.thumb.png.dd13ae799274bf179476b03d11a1901f.png

As the above screenshot I have set a LAN rule for my device "Valak Server Apps" & "Valak Server" which is set to use the VPNWAN Gateway as these are the only devices on my LAN that should be using the VPN.

The 3rd rule down as highlighted is the rule that is supposed to dictate that all other devices on my LAN subnet should go over standard WAN.

The rules are put in the correct order on the list as the VPN rules for "Valak Server Apps" & "Valak Server" should take first precedence over the 3rd rule down as highlighted.

Outbound Rules

image.thumb.png.88a05600b0c87a9b49585259013f1356.png

The outbound rules on the "VPNWAN" interface are duplicates of the "WAN" interface rules, other than the VPNWAN rules point to the VPN Gateway. These look to be set correctly and in the correct order, after checking a few different guides on the matter. 

..........................................................................................................................................

So far as I'm concerned the current configuration on LAN. My Plex server should go out over the VPNWAN, while anything else should go over the WAN and that is the order I have set the rules in. 

HOWEVER, note the rule I have highlighted on LAN screenshot. If I disable that rule, everything goes over the VPNWAN, if I enable it, everything goes over the WAN. I was expecting that rule to send all other traffic over WAN while Plex used the VPN WAN, but it is not behaving that way.

Not sure what I am missing but hopefully someone can help.

Thanks,

E

image.png

image.png

£3000

Owned

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D
MOTHERBOARD: MSI Meg Ace X670E
RAM: Corsair Dominator Titanium 64GB (6000MT/s)
GPU: EVGA 3090 FTW Ultra Gaming
SSD/NVME: Corsair MP700 Pro Gen 5 2TB
PSU: EVGA Supernova T2 1600Watt
CASE: be quiet Dark Base Pro 900 Rev 2
FANS: Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC x 6
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: Intel Core i5 8500
RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) Kingston 2666Mhz
SSD/NVME: 256GB Samsung NVMe
NETWORK: HP 561T 10Gbe (Intel X540 T2)
MOTHERBOARD: Proprietry
GPU: Intel UHD Graphics 630
PSU: 90Watt
CASE: HP EliteDesk 800 G4 SFF
Full Rig Info

£3000

Owned

CPU: 2 x Xeon|E5-2696-V4 (44C/88T)
RAM: 128GB|16 x 8GB - DDR4 2400MHz (2Rx8)
MOTHERBOARD: HP Z840|Intel C612 Chipset
GPU: Nvidia Quadro P2200
HDD: 4x 16TB Toshiba MG08ACA16TE Enterprise
SSD/NVME: Intel 512GB 670p NVMe (Main OS)
SSD/NVME 2: Samsung 1TB 980 NVMe (VM's)
SSD/NVME 3: 2x Seagate FireCuda 1TB SSD's (Apps)
Full Rig Info