Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, register to take part in our community, don't worry this is a simple FREE process that requires minimal information for you to signup.

Registered users can: 

• Start new topics and reply to others.
  • Show off your PC using our Rig Creator feature.
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get updates.
  • Get your own profile page to customize.
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.
  • Upgrade to Premium to unlock additional sites features.
IGNORED

ExtremeHW Community Folding Project

3 hours ago, Avacado said:

Couldn't help myself, bought a Radeon R9 295X2. What the heck, similar to a 1660 and GPUs on one card. Maybe it will work out. 

Nice, I had that GPU back in the day, bloody monster...also very warm haha. 

So I was looking at the M40's and looks like if I get those I will need to get some proper full height brackets with them as well, which is not a problem as I noticed the ones you linked have a different mounting method. Apparently they will ship out to the UK, but waiting to hear back from them. Just hoping they get back before stock goes.

£3000

Owned

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D
MOTHERBOARD: MSI Meg Ace X670E
RAM: Corsair Dominator Titanium 64GB (6000MT/s)
GPU: EVGA 3090 FTW Ultra Gaming
SSD/NVME: Corsair MP700 Pro Gen 5 2TB
PSU: EVGA Supernova T2 1600Watt
CASE: be quiet Dark Base Pro 900 Rev 2
FANS: Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC x 6
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: Intel Core i5 8500
RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) Kingston 2666Mhz
SSD/NVME: 256GB Samsung NVMe
NETWORK: HP 561T 10Gbe (Intel X540 T2)
MOTHERBOARD: Proprietry
GPU: Intel UHD Graphics 630
PSU: 90Watt
CASE: HP EliteDesk 800 G4 SFF
Full Rig Info

£3000

Owned

CPU: 2 x Xeon|E5-2696-V4 (44C/88T)
RAM: 128GB|16 x 8GB - DDR4 2400MHz (2Rx8)
MOTHERBOARD: HP Z840|Intel C612 Chipset
GPU: Nvidia Quadro P2200
HDD: 4x 16TB Toshiba MG08ACA16TE Enterprise
SSD/NVME: Intel 512GB 670p NVMe (Main OS)
SSD/NVME 2: Samsung 1TB 980 NVMe (VM's)
SSD/NVME 3: 2x Seagate FireCuda 1TB SSD's (Apps)
Full Rig Info

Well, I think I'll switch the turbines over to folding tonight. 

Finally got most of this sorted, but gradually will be re-done.

20210218_140609.jpg

Owned

CPU: 5600x
GPU: EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
GPU 2: EVGA RTX 3080ti FTW3 Ultra
GPU 3: EVGA RTX 3080ti XC3 Hybrid
GPU 4: EVGA RTX 3070ti FTW3 Ultra
GPU 5: MSI RTX 3070 Gaming X Trio
GPU 6: Asus RTX 2080ti ROG STRIX
GPU 7: EVGA RTX 3080ti FTW3 Ultra
Full Rig Info

On 2/20/2021 at 12:36 AM, BWG said:

Well, I think I'll switch the turbines over to folding tonight. 

Finally got most of this sorted, but gradually will be re-done.

20210218_140609.jpg

Sweet !

So I have one for you guys. At the moment on average the PPD the F@H client is telling me is around 800K (Some larger WU's). However upon checking the stats page on F@H, the credit received over 24 hours is a fraction of this as per: https://stats.foldingathome.org/donor/117182656

Over the last 3 or so days the machine has only made like 300K 

In my experience the F@H app has been correct with respect to point projection in the past, so wondering what the issue is ?

Folding on Windows right now, will switch to Linux when I can. @axipher any suggestions on a distro and the above ?

Will do a Log dump later too.

***Additionally*** 

May also look at a rig rebuild for this. Does anyone have any good Motherboard suggestions with bifurcation that will allow me to run 6x GPU's ? I am looking for something that will not cost the earth. I know I will need to get a splitter for the PCIe x 16 slots to allow me to run 2x GPU of each slot and that is fine, but need a mobo that can do bifurcation so that each GPU gets 4x lanes (Also will source a CPU with enough lanes).  I have been looking around but all suggestions welcomed at this point. 

£3000

Owned

Full Rig Info

Owned

Full Rig Info

£3000

Owned

Full Rig Info

6 hours ago, ENTERPRISE said:

Sweet !

So I have one for you guys. At the moment on average the PPD the F@H client is telling me is around 800K (Some larger WU's). However upon checking the stats page on F@H, the credit received over 24 hours is a fraction of this as per: https://stats.foldingathome.org/donor/117182656

In my experience the F@H app has been correct with respect to point projection in the past, so wondering what the issue is ?

Folding on Windows right now, will switch to Linux when I can. @axipher any suggestions on a distro and the above ?

***Additionally*** 

May also look at a rig rebuild for this. Does anyone have any good Motherboard suggestions with bifurcation that will allow me to run 6x GPU's ? I am looking for something that will not cost the earth. I know I will need to get a splitter for the PCIe x 16 slots to allow me to run 2x GPU of each slot and that is fine, but need a mobo that can do bifurcation so that each GPU gets 4x lanes (Also will source a CPU with enough lanes).  I have been looking around but all suggestions welcomed at this point. 

EOC says 0 for user enterprise for 3 weeks. I say start with a pinch and a push of the start button on f@h ?

or...

Blame Canada!

You are using a passkey? You did hit finish on your client before stopping it last? What hardware are you folding on? 

Owned

Full Rig Info

Just now, BWG said:

EOC says 0 for user enterprise for 3 weeks. I say start with a pinch and a push of the start button on f@h ?

or...

Blame Canada!

You are using a passkey? You did hit finish on your client before stopping it last? What hardware are you folding on? 

It is not folding under my name It is folding under ExtremeHWCFP :) Did not want it folding under my name otherwise its progress would get skewed if I started folding under my name lol. 

£3000

Owned

Full Rig Info

Owned

Full Rig Info

£3000

Owned

Full Rig Info

7 hours ago, ENTERPRISE said:

Sweet !

***Additionally*** 

I am sure you will find the right board. As for the ppd. I can't say. I'm sure you created a pass key? I would use hfm to validate the competed wus. 

19 minutes ago, Avacado said:

I am sure you will find the right board. As for the ppd. I can't say. I'm sure you created a pass key? I would use hfm to validate the competed wus. 

Yeah passkey is all setup for sure. Will take a look at HFM. Hopefully, I am trying to find a board that will accommodate for decent price which is proving difficult. Was thinking possibly of an older gen Xeon setup.

Also quick question with the M40's, I assume these can run under their own power and don't need babysitting by another dedicated GPU ?

I aim to use a mobo for the integrated graphics, just for system management and all the slots taken up by the M40's

£3000

Owned

Full Rig Info

Owned

Full Rig Info

£3000

Owned

Full Rig Info

1 hour ago, ENTERPRISE said:

It is not folding under my name It is folding under ExtremeHWCFP :) Did not want it folding under my name otherwise its progress would get skewed if I started folding under my name lol. 

11 work units have completed under that user name. Was the passkey new? 10 work units need completed to start earning bonus. That's why you're showing more in F&H Console, most likely. If the passkey was not new, maybe some units failed/did not finish on-time before these next 11 that caused bonus to re-set. 

Are you going to use this name as a general folding name for those who do not want to create their own name kind of like we did for OCN events?

Edit: You even linked the user name on f&h! It was too early for me apparently!

Edited by BWG

Owned

Full Rig Info

5 minutes ago, BWG said:

11 work units have completed under that user name. Was the passkey new? 10 work units need completed to start earning bonus. That's why you're showing more in F&H Console, most likely. If the passkey was not new, maybe some units failed to complete before these next 11 that caused bonus to re-set. 

Are you going to use this name as a general folding name for those who do not want to create their own name kind of like we did for OCN events?

The passkey is not new but it is very possible it has not reached the threshold to earn bonus points due to failed WU's. That is a good point.

No this name is for the CFP only and will not be shared with anything else :)

£3000

Owned

Full Rig Info

Owned

Full Rig Info

£3000

Owned

Full Rig Info

2 minutes ago, ENTERPRISE said:

The passkey is not new but it is very possible it has not reached the threshold to earn bonus points due to failed WU's. That is a good point.

No this name is for the CFP only and will not be shared with anything else :)

I would have expected unit 11 would have been more regardless. I'd keep it going if you can so we can check these next few units.

Here's the QRB specifics:

Bonus Points

The prompt completion of Work Units (WUs) is very important for the science we’re doing. In order to study the proteins we’re interested in, we need be able get the results back quickly. A faster turnaround also means that we can launch projects that are larger and more difficult than ever before. So in 2010 we introduced the Quick Return Bonus (QRB), which gives extra points to users who rapidly and reliably complete WUs. The QRB has been fairly successful in aligning points with scientific value, and we will continue to use it.

What are the qualifications for the QRB?

The bonus is applied for users who use a passkey, have successfully returned at least 10 bonus-eligible WUs, have successfully returned 80% or more of assigned WUs, and returned the unit before its Timeout (formerly Preferred Deadline). Bonus points do not apply to partial returns.

How is the QRB determined?

We have a single benchmark machine, its most important component is its processor: a Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz. The machine’s OS is Linux. Here are the steps that we use to determine points for a project:

1. Take a WU from a project and run it on the benchmark machine until it finishes.
  2. Measure the time it took to complete. Base credit awarded for the WU is then just a scaling factor multiplied by this time.
  3. The timeout and deadline values are also simple functions of the time it took to complete. These are set primarily to give a donor a reasonable amount of time to finish a WU, but short enough so that any WU that gets sent out but not processed (e.g. donor quits FAH, forgets to re-start that WU, their computer dies, etc) can be retrieved and sent out again in a reasonable amount of time. Thus these values are set depending on what kind of hardware a project is being run on (uniprocessor, SMP, GPU) and how long the WU took to finish on the benchmark machine.
  4. The k-factor, a coefficient in awarding bonus points, is currently set to a baseline value of 0.75, but may vary depending on the scientific value of a project.

The Folding@home software on your computer calculates Total Points as follows:

final_points = base_points * max(1, sqrt( k * deadline_length / elapsed_time))

Note that the max(1, …) ensures that final_points are never lower than base_points, deadline_length is the deadline aka final deadline, and elapsed _time is the length of time from when the WU was assigned, to when it was uploaded, including transit time.  Deadline_length and Elapsed_time are measured in days to one decimal point.

PPD is calculated as follows:

PPD = 14.4 * base_points * max(1, sqrt( 14.4 * k * Expiration / TPF)) / TPF

Note that TPF is in minutes, in decimal form, not time format.

Note that GPU projects are now being benchmarked on the same machine, but using that machine’s CPU. By using the same hardware, we want to preserve our goal of “equal pay for equal work”. Our GPU methods have advanced to the point such that, with GPU FAHCore 17, we can run any computation that we can do on the CPU on the GPU. Therefore we’ve unified the benchmarking scheme so that both GPU and CPU projects use the same “yardstick”, which is our i5 benchmark CPU.

What projects have the QRB?

Right now, it is mainly applied to Work Units for multi-core processors. However, they will soon be applied to WUs for GPUs. As our GPU methods have matured, our plan is to treat all WUs identically. We can now do the same calculations (including implicit and explicit solvation) on both CPUs and GPUs. In years past, these two pieces of hardware were treated differently. This is no longer the case. Our plan is to introduce the Quick Return Bonus to GPUs as we roll out our new GPU core, FAHCore 17.

• Thanks 1

Owned

Full Rig Info

48 minutes ago, ENTERPRISE said:

Yeah passkey is all setup for sure. Will take a look at HFM. Hopefully, I am trying to find a board that will accommodate for decent price which is proving difficult. Was thinking possibly of an older gen Xeon setup.

Also quick question with the M40's, I assume these can run under their own power and don't need babysitting by another dedicated GPU ?

I aim to use a mobo for the integrated graphics, just for system management and all the slots taken up by the M40's

That has been the biggest issue for me. Works good on integrated, ties up a slot on my amd. Though I bought 2 710 cards just to run display and they work on a 1x riser. They will run fine. Also, they are passively cooled, make sure they get plenty of airflow.  I bought the blower coolers off ebay and they work great, not cheap, but great.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Avacado said:

That has been the biggest issue for me. Works good on integrated, ties up a slot on my amd. Though I bought 2 710 cards just to run display and they work on a 1x riser. They will run fine. Also, they are passively cooled, make sure they get plenty of airflow.  I bought the blower coolers off ebay and they work great, not cheap, but great.

Ok thanks for confirming. Yeah I noticed they are passive and noticed your cooling method a few days ago haha. Not sure what fans I would go for on the case, may stick to the Noctua's as they can push some serious airflow when needed.

£3000

Owned

Full Rig Info

Owned

Full Rig Info

£3000

Owned

Full Rig Info

Sanity Check please. 

So I am looking at the ROG Strix X299-E Gaming II & the Intel® Core™ i7-7820X X-series Processor.

I checked the possible Bifurcation on the Asus site for this mobo as per the below image:

1133755204_AsusBifurcation.jpg.741da77f7bc945fd8edee08e4cb42a50.jpg 

On the Mobo Specs it states as per the image below:

1401085806_ExpansionSlots.thumb.jpg.bde7be3c12e033328a88a0b43c2f4ed4.jpg

The I7-7820X has 28 Lanes which so far as I am lead to believe will allow me to run 6x GPU's at 4x. (Not going to use any M.2 drives so that is no issue) 

Sucks that there is no onboard video, so will have to use a dedicated card for video

***Edit*** 

Just noticed that the 9800X is 44 lanes and not much more on Ebay.

£3000

Owned

Full Rig Info

Owned

Full Rig Info

£3000

Owned

Full Rig Info

Saw this, great deal to be honest so nabbed it while the going was good. Now finger crossed it does me justice and I can squeeze it in the intended case with the two PSU's lol. 

CFPNEW.thumb.jpg.a8374217cff04f494c88a6cb22f24349.jpg

https://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/All-series/WS-X299-SAGE/ 

Obviously will not be needing that much RAM haha. Now to find a cooler for it, Something low profile but will do the job, not exactly going to get OC'ed.

£3000

Owned

Full Rig Info

Owned

Full Rig Info

£3000

Owned

Full Rig Info

53 minutes ago, ENTERPRISE said:

Saw this, great deal to be honest so nabbed it while the going was good. Now finger crossed it does me justice and I can squeeze it in the intended case with the two PSU's lol. 

CFPNEW.thumb.jpg.a8374217cff04f494c88a6cb22f24349.jpg

https://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/All-series/WS-X299-SAGE/ 

Obviously will not be needing that much RAM haha. Now to find a cooler for it, Something low profile but will do the job, not exactly going to get OC'ed.

Oh my! One upper ?

18 hours ago, Avacado said:

Oh my! One upper ?

Fingers crossed it works out well, hoping I can fit into this mining case with the two PSU's: https://www.xcase.co.uk/collections/mining-chassis-and-cases/products/minestation-1-metal-construction-fully-enclosed-mining-chassis-for-6-gpu-easy-flatpack

Hopefully I don't need the bifurcation risers now. 

£3000

Owned

Full Rig Info

Owned

Full Rig Info

£3000

Owned

Full Rig Info

36 minutes ago, ENTERPRISE said:

Fingers crossed it works out well, hoping I can fit into this mining case with the two PSU's: https://www.xcase.co.uk/collections/mining-chassis-and-cases/products/minestation-1-metal-construction-fully-enclosed-mining-chassis-for-6-gpu-easy-flatpack

Hopefully I don't need the bifurcation risers now. 

Man that looks nice, why can't I find something like that here in the states. 

52 minutes ago, Avacado said:

Man that looks nice, why can't I find something like that here in the states. 

Considering they are sold flatpack, I would not think it would be hard from someone in the UK to forward it to the US , Though I am not sure how heavy the package is.

£3000

Owned

Full Rig Info

Owned

Full Rig Info

£3000

Owned

Full Rig Info

26 minutes ago, tictoc said:

Missed this over the weekend. 

If it's not too late, and you are interested in something like an X99-WS or an X399 Taichi, let me know.  I also have a spare Xeon that can go with the X99 board.  I'm across the pond, but if time isn't an issue...

Cheers bud, though I have already bought it, it will be a good solution I feel so I am not too butt hurt haha. All I need to do is get a bunch of PCI-e 16x Riser Cables.

£3000

Owned

Full Rig Info

Owned

Full Rig Info

£3000

Owned

Full Rig Info

7 minutes ago, ENTERPRISE said:

Cheers bud, though I have already bought it, it will be a good solution I feel so I am not too butt hurt haha. All I need to do is get a bunch of PCI-e 16x Riser Cables.

Make sure you get a few >30cm or you'll regret it. 

Just now, Avacado said:

Make sure you get a few >30cm or you'll regret it. 

Yeah I already knew it would be a 30cm job as the 20cm look way too short. I forgot how much the risers are, some of them are dumb expensive.

£3000

Owned

Full Rig Info

Owned

Full Rig Info

£3000

Owned

Full Rig Info

1 hour ago, ENTERPRISE said:

Right on.  If I had gone X299 instead of Threadripper that's the board I would be running.

9 hours ago, tictoc said:

Right on.  If I had gone X299 instead of Threadripper that's the board I would be running.

The funny thing is this will end up an overpowered machine for what it will be used for BUT as you know, where it gets you is the PCI-e lanes and generally speaking it is the higher end gear that dolls out enough of them. Plus I was trying to find a board where I would not need to use bifurcation risers, which again means you end up going for a motherboard that is somewhat more expensive than previously thought. However at least you know it will do the job.

£3000

Owned

Full Rig Info

Owned

Full Rig Info

£3000

Owned

Full Rig Info