Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, register to take part in our community, don't worry this is a simple FREE process that requires minimal information for you to signup.

Registered users can: 

• Start new topics and reply to others.
  • Show off your PC using our Rig Creator feature.
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get updates.
  • Get your own profile page to customize.
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.
  • Upgrade to Premium to unlock additional sites features.
IGNORED

Nvidia now most valuable company in the world

Team Green's market cap had surpassed the $3 trillion mark earlier this month but after a stock split and subsequent increases on its price, it's now valued at over $3.34 trillion, putting it just above Microsoft and Apple.

Nvidia's shares are up another 3.5% today, closing at $135.58. The company's share price has increased by more than 3,400% over the past five years and 181% this year alone.

https://www.techspot.com/news/103281-nvidia-surpasses-3-trillion-market-cap-outshining-apple.html

How much higher can they go? 

Owned

CPU: 5800x
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS TUF Gaming B550-Plus
RAM: XMP 3600mhz CL16
GPU: 7900XT
SOUNDCARD: Sound Blaster Z 5.1 home theater
MONITOR: 4K 65 inch TV
Full Rig Info

Administrators
6k 3,088

Absolutely nuts how in the past two years they have just carried on climbing that ladder. However they correctly capitalized on AI and diversifying their product range so they deserve the success. Even if it sucks they have no competition and for us standard consumers means we will still be paying over the odds for GPU's 😞 

£3000

Owned

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D
MOTHERBOARD: MSI Meg Ace X670E
RAM: Corsair Dominator Titanium 64GB (6000MT/s)
GPU: EVGA 3090 FTW Ultra Gaming
SSD/NVME: Corsair MP700 Pro Gen 5 2TB
PSU: EVGA Supernova T2 1600Watt
CASE: be quiet Dark Base Pro 900 Rev 2
FANS: Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC x 6
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: Intel Core i5 8500
RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) Kingston 2666Mhz
SSD/NVME: 256GB Samsung NVMe
NETWORK: HP 561T 10Gbe (Intel X540 T2)
MOTHERBOARD: Proprietry
GPU: Intel UHD Graphics 630
PSU: 90Watt
CASE: HP EliteDesk 800 G4 SFF
Full Rig Info

£3000

Owned

CPU: 2 x Xeon|E5-2696-V4 (44C/88T)
RAM: 128GB|16 x 8GB - DDR4 2400MHz (2Rx8)
MOTHERBOARD: HP Z840|Intel C612 Chipset
GPU: Nvidia Quadro P2200
HDD: 4x 16TB Toshiba MG08ACA16TE Enterprise
SSD/NVME: Intel 512GB 670p NVMe (Main OS)
SSD/NVME 2: Samsung 1TB 980 NVMe (VM's)
SSD/NVME 3: 2x Seagate FireCuda 1TB SSD's (Apps)
Full Rig Info

5 hours ago, ENTERPRISE said:

Absolutely nuts how in the past two years they have just carried on climbing that ladder. However they correctly capitalized on AI and diversifying their product range so they deserve the success. Even if it sucks they have no competition and for us standard consumers means we will still be paying over the odds for GPU's 😞 

Totally agree.

I spend a lot of time thinking about where this all is headed. Did you know; from the time the Wright Brothers completed the first flight to the first man on the moon was only 66 years. That's crazy, that someone who was 10 years old when the Wright Brother flight happened in 1903 could easily have lived to see the lunar landing and not even be 80 years old. Now, we are about to enter an era of autonomous humanoid robots, and that could start taking off this decade. 

Minecarts were invented sometime in the 1500s. If we assume that by year 2100 humans will be building very capable general-purpose robots in ample supply, then the entire era of human advancement in which we as a species go from working coal mines with minecarts - to building robots that can do the same work so we don't have to - is less than 600 years. If we just go from the first processor (4004) to year 2100, that's less than 140 years. using the year 2100 as a placeholder for the sake of discussion makes these advancements sound quick, but I don't think anyone familiar with this thinks it will take nearly that long. If I had to guess, less than 5 years until serious general-purpose robots are on the market and in 15 years, they will be somewhat common. Even if I am way off, one thing that is for certain; we are truly living in the midst of possibly the fastest technological advancement that may ever take place in human history, and for sure the fastest that has ever occurred thus far. 

It all makes me feel very uncertain about the future. Not in a bad way, just that I really have no idea what the world will be like in 10, 20, 30 years. It seems that within my lifetime, assuming I live to be at least 70, things will most likely be very different from today. What happens when robots that can do most of the labor are affordable and abundant? Do people still work? Do we still pay taxes? Do we still have wars? Does this all go horribly wrong and cause some new disaster? That last one seems unlikely, but still possible. 

And with all that said, where does that leave Nvidia right now? I think a good analogy is: Nvidia's market position today is as if there were a company that had a natural monopoly on coal during the industrial revolution. They have the tools to build the next tech revolution. Other companies like Intel and AMD may someday offer competition, but can they ever catch up? Does having the best AI/NPU hardware enable Nvidia to iterate harder, better, faster, stronger than anyone else? Does this all turn into an exponential curve of growth that feeds back into itself, speeding up further growth? 

There is just so much to think about. The fact that Nvidia has risen so far so quickly already is very clear evidence of something new and major happening in the tech world at the very least. 

• Agreed 1

Owned

CPU: 5800x
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS TUF Gaming B550-Plus
RAM: XMP 3600mhz CL16
GPU: 7900XT
SOUNDCARD: Sound Blaster Z 5.1 home theater
MONITOR: 4K 65 inch TV
Full Rig Info

Administrators
6k 3,088
17 hours ago, UltraMega said:

Totally agree.

I spend a lot of time thinking about where this all is headed. Did you know; from the time the Wright Brothers completed the first flight to the first man on the moon was only 66 years. That's crazy, that someone who was 10 years old when the Wright Brother flight happened in 1903 could easily have lived to see the lunar landing and not even be 80 years old. Now, we are about to enter an era of autonomous humanoid robots, and that could start taking off this decade. 

Minecarts were invented sometime in the 1500s. If we assume that by year 2100 humans will be building very capable general-purpose robots in ample supply, then the entire era of human advancement in which we as a species go from working coal mines with minecarts - to building robots that can do the same work so we don't have to - is less than 600 years. If we just go from the first processor (4004) to year 2100, that's less than 140 years. using the year 2100 as a placeholder for the sake of discussion makes these advancements sound quick, but I don't think anyone familiar with this thinks it will take nearly that long. If I had to guess, less than 5 years until serious general-purpose robots are on the market and in 15 years, they will be somewhat common. Even if I am way off, one thing that is for certain; we are truly living in the midst of possibly the fastest technological advancement that may ever take place in human history, and for sure the fastest that has ever occurred thus far. 

It all makes me feel very uncertain about the future. Not in a bad way, just that I really have no idea what the world will be like in 10, 20, 30 years. It seems that within my lifetime, assuming I live to be at least 70, things will most likely be very different from today. What happens when robots that can do most of the labor are affordable and abundant? Do people still work? Do we still pay taxes? Do we still have wars? Does this all go horribly wrong and cause some new disaster? That last one seems unlikely, but still possible. 

And with all that said, where does that leave Nvidia right now? I think a good analogy is: Nvidia's market position today is as if there were a company that had a natural monopoly on coal during the industrial revolution. They have the tools to build the next tech revolution. Other companies like Intel and AMD may someday offer competition, but can they ever catch up? Does having the best AI/NPU hardware enable Nvidia to iterate harder, better, faster, stronger than anyone else? Does this all turn into an exponential curve of growth that feeds back into itself, speeding up further growth? 

There is just so much to think about. The fact that Nvidia has risen so far so quickly already is very clear evidence of something new and major happening in the tech world at the very least. 

All good questions. It goes without saying that we are experiencing advancements at an alarming rate. I use alarming as while technological advancements on the surface are excellent, we are experiencing them at an ever quicker pace which begs the question, are we going to fast without really realising the negative effects? Are we doing things now my just because we can, while blindly heading into an abyss. Only history can be the judge of that. 

The word in 20 years technology wise will be leaps ahead of what we have now and whilst we can speculate where we will be and what we will have, its still hard to imagine living it. Time will tell. 

Ironically Microsoft took back the title of most valuable company.

£3000

Owned

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D
MOTHERBOARD: MSI Meg Ace X670E
RAM: Corsair Dominator Titanium 64GB (6000MT/s)
GPU: EVGA 3090 FTW Ultra Gaming
SSD/NVME: Corsair MP700 Pro Gen 5 2TB
PSU: EVGA Supernova T2 1600Watt
CASE: be quiet Dark Base Pro 900 Rev 2
FANS: Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC x 6
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: Intel Core i5 8500
RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) Kingston 2666Mhz
SSD/NVME: 256GB Samsung NVMe
NETWORK: HP 561T 10Gbe (Intel X540 T2)
MOTHERBOARD: Proprietry
GPU: Intel UHD Graphics 630
PSU: 90Watt
CASE: HP EliteDesk 800 G4 SFF
Full Rig Info

£3000

Owned

CPU: 2 x Xeon|E5-2696-V4 (44C/88T)
RAM: 128GB|16 x 8GB - DDR4 2400MHz (2Rx8)
MOTHERBOARD: HP Z840|Intel C612 Chipset
GPU: Nvidia Quadro P2200
HDD: 4x 16TB Toshiba MG08ACA16TE Enterprise
SSD/NVME: Intel 512GB 670p NVMe (Main OS)
SSD/NVME 2: Samsung 1TB 980 NVMe (VM's)
SSD/NVME 3: 2x Seagate FireCuda 1TB SSD's (Apps)
Full Rig Info