Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, register to take part in our community, don't worry this is a simple FREE process that requires minimal information for you to signup.

Registered users can: 

• Start new topics and reply to others.
  • Show off your PC using our Rig Creator feature.
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get updates.
  • Get your own profile page to customize.
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.
  • Upgrade to Premium to unlock additional sites features.
IGNORED

Firestrike & Timespy Benchmarking Megathread

NavJack27

6 hours ago, Mr. Fox said:

Well the 4090 Suprim stopped working yesterday. It's going back to Amazon for a refund. They don't have any stock available for exchange. I was working yesterday (using my work PC) and had it running with Outlook open so I could check my personal email throughout the day (my normal routine). I looked over and the screen was black as if I had the power profile set wrong to let the screen go dark. I normally disable that. I jiggled the mouse and tapped some keys on the keyboard and nothing. So, powered it back on and the motherboard starts beeping with D6 Q-code (no display device detected).  With the 3060 Ti installed in the primary slot and the 4090 in the second PCIe 16x slot, no 4090 detected. I stuck it into my work computer and same thing.

f6c.jpg.13b5a9da07e2276011749247538b7b01.jpg

Well, that's messed up...
Time for a Strix?

• Thanks 1

Owned

CPU: Intel Core i9 13900KF
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z690 HERO
RAM: G.SKILL Trident Z5 6400CL30-38-38-28
PSU: Corsair AX1600i
GPU: Galax 4090 Hall Of Fame OCLabs Edition
Full Rig Info

7 hours ago, Mr. Fox said:

Well the 4090 Suprim stopped working yesterday. It's going back to Amazon for a refund. They don't have any stock available for exchange. I was working yesterday (using my work PC) and had it running with Outlook open so I could check my personal email throughout the day (my normal routine). I looked over and the screen was black as if I had the power profile set wrong to let the screen go dark. I normally disable that. I jiggled the mouse and tapped some keys on the keyboard and nothing. So, powered it back on and the motherboard starts beeping with D6 Q-code (no display device detected).  With the 3060 Ti installed in the primary slot and the 4090 in the second PCIe 16x slot, no 4090 detected. I stuck it into my work computer and same thing.

f6c.jpg.13b5a9da07e2276011749247538b7b01.jpg

Wow 😒 ...too bad that Amazon doesn't have any for exchange. There are multiple 4090 Suprim / X for sale in stores near here (W.Canada) given recent increased shipments, though they still move relatively quickly off the shelves.

• Thanks 1

Owned

CPU: CPU: ><.......7950X3D - Aorus X670E Master - 48GB DDR5 7200 (8000) TridentZ SK Hynix - Giga-G-OC/Galax RTX 4090 670W - LG 48 OLED - 4TB NVMEs >< .......5950X - Asus CH 8 Dark Hero - 32GB CL13 DDR4 4000 - AMD R 6900XT 500W - Philips BDM40 4K VA - 2TB NVME & 3TB SSDs >> - <<.......4.4 TR 2950X - MSI X399 Creation - 32 GB CL 14 3866 - Asus RTX 3090 Strix OC/KPin 520W and 2x RTX 2080 Ti Gigabyte XTR WF WB 380W - LG 55 IPS HDR - 1TB NVME & 4TB SSDs
Full Rig Info

16 minutes ago, acoustic said:

Hmm.. no chance that pushing all that super cold air with the A/C unit, with the GPU getting warm under heavy benching, caused condensation on the PCB and eventual water damage?

Good assumption, It's possible. Hard to know without ambient, humidity and dew point data during the bench runs. Fox has been benching for quite sometime, doubtful he was not specifically tracking that possibility during the runs. 

WWW.DPCALC.ORG

Dew Point Calculator is a web resource created by the Image Permanence Institute to help express and visualize the relationship between temperature, relative humidity and dew point.

Edited by Avacado

Premium Platinum - Lifetime
HWBOT.ORG

The GeForce RTX 4090 @ 3075/1519MHzscores getScoreFormatted in the 3DMark -...

https://hwbot.org/submission/5161454_

• Respect 1

$5500

Owned

CPU: Ryzen 9 7900X3D 2100MHz fclk
RAM: G.skill TridentZ5 7600MHz 36-45-45-45 1.425v
GPU: MSI RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 3.135GHz/12.152GHz
MOTHERBOARD: Asus ROG Strix X670E-E Gaming Wifi
SSD/NVME: Crucial T700 1TB Gen 5 M.2
MONITOR: Acer Ultrawide Curved 3440x1440 144Hz HDR400 FreeSync
CASE: anidees Ai Crystal AR3 Midtower
CPU COOLER: EK Nucleus AIO CR360 Dark w/ PTM7950
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900x PBO 4.95GHz
GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Ventus
RAM: G.skill Flare X DDR4 3733MHz 16-16-16-32-50 1T GDM on
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero
CASE: anidees Ai Crystal Cube
PSU: OCZ ModXStream 550w
SSD/NVME: Samsung 850 Evo 256GB
CPU COOLER: Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: i5-7600 4.5GHz
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Strix Z270H Gaming
RAM: G.skill DDR4-3000 15-16-16
CASE: Silverstone Grandia series GD09
GPU: GT 710
SSD/NVME: Samsung 850 Evo
MONITOR: Asus V239H 1080p 60Hz IPS
CPU COOLER: Thermalright AXP-120-X67
Full Rig Info

On 17/02/2023 at 10:58, Bastiaan_NL said:

Well, that's messed up...
Time for a Strix?

Absolutely not. ASUS is my last choice most of the time. Their QC is probably the worst and their warranty/support is totally unacceptable. I never say never most of the time, but I am inclined to because my experience with their enthusiast products has always ended badly. Oddly enough, their mid-range and low-budget product line has always been reliable for me. The Strix is also grossly overpriced and inferior to the Suprim X. RTX 4090 VRM meta-analysis and FE/AIB comparison so even if it were priced correctly the Suprim X would be the preferred option. If I were going to waste $2400 on a GPU it would be the Galax HOF 4090, even though it is pretty ugly to look at.

On 17/02/2023 at 11:19, J7SC_Orion said:

Wow 😒 ...too bad that Amazon doesn't have any for exchange. There are multiple 4090 Suprim / X for sale in stores near here (W.Canada) given recent increased shipments, though they still move relatively quickly off the shelves.

I know, right? No way I am paying more than the $1799 for the "sold and shipped by Amazon" option. I will only purchase "sold and shipped by" product from Amazon and NewEgg when they are major (expensive) components like CPUs, GPUs and motherboards. Their marketplace sellers are often shady and not very customer-centric.

On 17/02/2023 at 11:39, acoustic said:

Hmm.. no chance that pushing all that super cold air with the A/C unit, with the GPU getting warm under heavy benching, caused condensation on the PCB and eventual water damage?

Nope, none whatsoever. I've been benching using cold air and cold water for roughly 15 years and monitor temperatures and dewpoint very closely. I have 2 digital thermometers with humidity readers near my case and one inside of the case, and a flow/temperature meter on the loop.

Living in a desert since 2015 (Southern Arizona) it is even less of an issue. ESD is the much bigger problem here due to the lack of humidity. ESD here is actually insane. I have had LEDs blown out on keyboards and mice due to ESD.

In this case I did not remove the radiator from the loop, so it was impossible for the water to get cold enough for condensation, and the GPU was using the AIO with only cold air (not cold water).

My impression is that one of the fuses on the PCB is blown. I probably could have repaired it, but that would have been silly since it was still within the Amazon return window. Had it been outside of that window, I probably would have fixed it myself rather than sending it to MSI. The GPU is not detected in any PCIe slot. I tested it on both desktops. Booting into Windows using the 3090 KPE or 3060 Ti GPU the 3090 is not even present in Device Manager. It is as if it does not exist.

Edited by Mr. Fox
  • Thanks 1
  • Respect 1

Owned

CPU: Intel Core i9-14900KF - Bare Die
MOTHERBOARD: ASUSTeK ROG Maximum Z790 Apex
RAM: G.SKILL Trident Z5 48GB DDR5 @ 8600 - On Water
GPU: MSI RTX 4090 Suprim-X + Byski Block
PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower GF3 1650W
SSD/NVME: NVMe x9 (11TB), SATA SSD x1 (1TB), HDD x1 (4TB)
CPU COOLER: MO-RA 360, D5 x4, 5 Gal Reservoir, Hailea HC-500A
CASE: Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL EVO
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: Intel Core i9-13900KS - Bare Die
MOTHERBOARD: ASUSTeK ROG Maximum Z790 Apex Encore
GPU: Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC + Alphacool Block
PSU: Corsair RM1200x Shift
SSD/NVME: NVMe x8 (11.5TB), SATA SSD x2 (3TB), HDD x1 (2TB)
CPU COOLER: Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 1080 Nova, D5 x2
CASE: be quiet! Dark Base Pro 901
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: Intel Core i9-14900K - Delidded
MOTHERBOARD: MSI MPG Z790i Edge WiFi (ITX)
RAM: G.SKILL Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 @ 8000
GPU: ASROCK Arc A770 Phantom Gaming OC
PSU: GameMax 850W Gold ARGB
SSD/NVME: NVMe x3 (4TB), SATA SSD x4 (4TB)
CPU COOLER: EK Nucleus CR360 Dark AIO
CASE: ASUS Prime AP201 Micro Tower TG
Full Rig Info

16 hours ago, Mr. Fox said:

Absolutely not. ASUS is my last choice most of the time. Their QC is probably the worst and their warranty/support is totally unacceptable. I never say never most of the time, but I am inclined to because my experience with their enthusiast products has always ended badly. Oddly enough, their mid-range and low-budget product line has always been reliable for me. The Strix is also grossly overpriced and inferior to the Suprim X. RTX 4090 VRM meta-analysis and FE/AIB comparison so even if it were priced correctly the Suprim X would be the preferred option. If I were going to waste $2400 on a GPU it would be the Galax HOF 4090, even though it is pretty ugly to look at.

I know, right? No way I am paying more than the $1799 for the "sold and shipped by Amazon" option. I will only purchase "sold and shipped by" product from Amazon and NewEgg when they are major (expensive) components like CPUs, GPUs and motherboards. Their marketplace sellers are often shady and not very customer-centric.

Nope, none whatsoever. I've been benching using cold air and cold water for roughly 15 years and monitor temperatures and dewpoint very closely. I have 2 digital thermometers with humidity readers near my case and one inside of the case, and a flow/temperature meter on the loop.

Living in a desert since 2015 (Southern Arizona) it is even less of an issue. ESD is the much bigger problem here due to the lack of humidity. ESD here is actually insane. I have had LEDs blown out on keyboards and mice due to ESD.

In this case I did not remove the radiator from the loop, so it was impossible for the water to get cold enough for condensation, and the GPU was using the AIO with only cold air (not cold water).

My impression is that one of the fuses on the PCB is blown. I probably could have repaired it, but that would have been silly since it was still within the Amazon return window. Had it been outside of that window, I probably would have fixed it myself rather than sending it to MSI. The GPU is not detected in any PCIe slot. I tested it on both desktops. Booting into Windows using the 3090 KPE or 3060 Ti GPU the 3090 is not even present in Device Manager. It is as if it does not exist.

I guess I had more luck with Asus, but I just said that with my fingers crossed 😂

Also, a quick run with a single 1080Ti on the Apex Z790.
For some reason the Physics test dropped 2k after the first 2 runs, but I didn't have time to do it all over again.

HWBOT.ORG

The GeForce GTX 1080 Ti @ 2088/1501MHzscores getScoreFormatted in the 3DMark - Fire Strike benchmark. Bastiaan_NLranks #null worldwide and #20 in the hardware class. Find out more at HWBOT.

Edited by Bastiaan_NL
  • Thanks 1
  • Respect 1

Owned

Full Rig Info

On 19/02/2023 at 13:06, Bastiaan_NL said:

I guess I had more luck with Asus, but I just said that with my fingers crossed 😂

I generally try to avoid saying 'never' and in this case I am doing just that. 

As I was waiting for Amazon to process my refund, I thought about the way the Suprim just died for no reason I could identify, and I remembered that my first Unify-X mobo lasted less than a day. I decided that was not better than the bad luck I have had with ASUS. I no longer have much confidence in reliability from either brand now. So, I figured that  I might as well get the Strix since it seems reliability for both brands is questionable. I almost pulled the trigger on a MSI Trio from Best Buy for $1600 and ready for pickup today, but decided that chances of me being happy with it are probably very slim. It's pretty wimpy in terms of power delivery, unlike the Strix and Suprim. The Strix and Suprim and HOF are the only 4090 GPUs built better than the FE. All others are weaker than the FE.

I ended up getting a Strix OC 4090 for about the same price as the Suprim. It should be delivered tomorrow. I just hope it holds up as well as my Strix mobos have all held up. All of the reliability issues I have had with ASUS products involve their most expensive top-tier enthusiast stuff that should be the best they offer. Rampage, Maximus, Apex and Hero mobo have all been horribly unreliable for me... 100% failure rate.

If I don't have to deal with their horrid warranty/support process everything will be peachy.

Edited by Mr. Fox
  • Respect 2

Owned

Full Rig Info

Owned

Full Rig Info

Owned

Full Rig Info

Fingers crossed Fox, I sure hope you'll have more luck with the ASUS. 
And congrats with the new card, I'm jealous they are that 'cheap' over there. Over here I would pay about €2350 for one, that's $2480 🙈

Owned

Full Rig Info

On 30/01/2023 at 00:52, Mr. Fox said:

I use that for my daily driver OS. I just remove Winduhz Defender completely using a script (I use Panda so Defender is worthless other than for stealing CPU clock cycles) and run Chris Titus' debloat script and remove all worthless services (like Intel ME garbage - not an issue on Ryzen, Windoze Touch/Tablet services, etc.) and it has no impact on functionality and performance other than improving both. Even services that are necessary for some things like Micro$lop Office (click-to-run crap) I temporarily turn off with a single mouse-click using ESO. This is a really nifty utility. You can create 4 profiles with varying levels of garbage disablement.

WWW.SORDUM.ORG

Easy service optimizer (Eso) is a portable freeware to optimize Windows services , By disabling unnecessary services, the performance can be improved

Hmm will have to check this out, thanks. In RAM tuning I have been really struggling to get lower than 60ns latency (according to AIDA64). That's down from 62 after doing other optimizations, but man, cannot seem to find that 55ns people are saying you should get with tuned b-die and Ryzen on this W11 box.

• Thanks 1

Showcase

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
GPU: Nvidia RTX 3080 Ti Founders Edition
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB DDR4-3600 (@ 3733 14-8-14-14-21-35 1T GDM)
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
SSD/NVME: x2 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB
SSD/NVME 2: Crucial MX500 1TB
PSU: Corsair RM1000x
MONITOR: LG 48" C1
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K, Core i9-10900K, Core i3-13100, Core i9-13900KS
GPU: various
RAM: Corsair 32GB DDR3-2400 | Oloy Blade 16GB DDR4-3600 | Crucial 16GB DDR5-5600
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Deluxe | EVGA Z490 Dark | EVGA Z790 Dark Kingpin
SSD/NVME: Samsung 870 Evo 1TB | Inland 1TB Gen 4
PSU: BeQuiet Straight Power 12 1500W
CASE: Cooler Master MasterFrame 700 - bench mode
OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 10 LTSC
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: M1 Pro
RAM: 32GB
SSD/NVME: 1TB
OPERATING SYSTEM: MacOS Ventura
CASE: Space Grey
Full Rig Info

1 hour ago, Bastiaan_NL said:

And congrats with the new card, I'm jealous they are that 'cheap' over there. Over here I would pay about €2350 for one, that's $2480 🙈

...your posted prices in Europe have to include the VAT, unlike posted prices in N-America. Still, 4090s had a big increase in supply and prices are steady-if-not-down. According to a big retailer I spoke to last week, they still move off the shelves, but it takes 2 -3 days compared to the 2 - 3 hours before... 

Without VAT, my 4090 came in at EURO 1535 back in late October 2022 at today's exchange rate, with 21% VAT, that would be EURO ~1858...still a decent price for its 3240 MHz top bench speed at room-ambient-temps, though.  I wonder how long it will take @Mr. Fox to slap that Asus XOC 1000 W vbios on there (I have it for mine but am 'making do' with the Galax 667 W vbios as the Asus XOC has all the safeties removed).

• Respect 1

Owned

CPU: CPU: ><.......7950X3D - Aorus X670E Master - 48GB DDR5 7200 (8000) TridentZ SK Hynix - Giga-G-OC/Galax RTX 4090 670W - LG 48 OLED - 4TB NVMEs >< .......5950X - Asus CH 8 Dark Hero - 32GB CL13 DDR4 4000 - AMD R 6900XT 500W - Philips BDM40 4K VA - 2TB NVME & 3TB SSDs >> - <<.......4.4 TR 2950X - MSI X399 Creation - 32 GB CL 14 3866 - Asus RTX 3090 Strix OC/KPin 520W and 2x RTX 2080 Ti Gigabyte XTR WF WB 380W - LG 55 IPS HDR - 1TB NVME & 4TB SSDs
Full Rig Info

On 19/02/2023 at 13:06, Bastiaan_NL said:

Same. After horrendous experiences with MSI and Gigabyte motherboards in 2007-2008ish, I've pretty much been exclusively Asus ever since and have yet to have any issues with them. I have heard the horror stories of their warranty support though, so I do wonder when I'll eventually get hit with an issue. For now, everything is solid, knock on wood.

Only Asus GPU I've ever gotten was the 980 Strix which still works fine, though was not OCing on air as good as some other models. Under water will have to play around with it again if I can find the block I had for it. Otherwise I was always more of an EVGA/Sapphire guy back in the day.

Edited by Sir Beregond

Showcase

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
GPU: Nvidia RTX 3080 Ti Founders Edition
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB DDR4-3600 (@ 3733 14-8-14-14-21-35 1T GDM)
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
SSD/NVME: x2 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB
SSD/NVME 2: Crucial MX500 1TB
PSU: Corsair RM1000x
MONITOR: LG 48" C1
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K, Core i9-10900K, Core i3-13100, Core i9-13900KS
GPU: various
RAM: Corsair 32GB DDR3-2400 | Oloy Blade 16GB DDR4-3600 | Crucial 16GB DDR5-5600
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Deluxe | EVGA Z490 Dark | EVGA Z790 Dark Kingpin
SSD/NVME: Samsung 870 Evo 1TB | Inland 1TB Gen 4
PSU: BeQuiet Straight Power 12 1500W
CASE: Cooler Master MasterFrame 700 - bench mode
OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 10 LTSC
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: M1 Pro
RAM: 32GB
SSD/NVME: 1TB
OPERATING SYSTEM: MacOS Ventura
CASE: Space Grey
Full Rig Info

On 24/02/2023 at 07:58, Bastiaan_NL said:

The Strix 4090 OC is an absolute turd and I am trying to get NewEgg to give me a refund. If not, I guess I will have to roll the dice on an exchange. The MSI Suprim utterly destroys it in benchmarks because the memory overclocking on the Strix is horrible.  The Suprim was able to handle +1600 with ECC enabled and the Strix maxes out between +1300 and +1350 with ECC enabled. It was $200 more and a regrettable buy. I should have known better and just waited for another Suprim X to become available.

I wish I would have seen this before I ordered the Strix. Maximum Overclock Comparison. Seems they have a reputation for sucky memory. 4090s that sell for $500-$700 less do better. 

image.png.07151db32b69f7412d97d08402cb283c.png

On 24/02/2023 at 10:12, Sir Beregond said:

Same. After horrendous experiences with MSI and Gigabyte motherboards in 2007-2008ish, I've pretty much been exclusively Asus ever since and have yet to have any issues with them. I have heard the horror stories of their warranty support though, so I do wonder when I'll eventually get hit with an issue. For now, everything is solid, knock on wood.

Only Asus GPU I've ever gotten was the 980 Strix which still works fine, though was not OCing on air as good as some other models. Under water will have to play around with it again if I can find the block I had for it. Otherwise I was always more of an EVGA/Sapphire guy back in the day.

Literally every high-end component I have purchased from ASUS has failed and required an RMA. The only products I have purchased from ASUS that have been reliable are economy (Prime) and mid-range gamerboy (Strix) mobos. They have never given me any trouble.

What makes it especially miserable is their warranty process. They take 3 to 6 weeks to process, you have to pay out of pocket to send the defective product, and then they look for every excuse under the sun (including stupid stuff, like signs off normal wear) to deny the warranty. My experience with them has been deplorable. I also have two friends that have been denied warranty with Rampage motherboard claiming CPU socket pins were bent. They took photos and had proof they were not bent when it shipped and had long drawn-out arguments with them over it. One guy it happened twice to, and his first replacement was a refurb that arrived with bent pins.  One of my failed motherboards caught on fire and the last one, Z490 Apex, killed a golden bin 10900KF when it failed. When I called about the one that caught on fire, the support rep told me it is not covered under warranty and I had to demand to speak to a Supervisor to even get them to agree to look at it. I got a replacement 6 weeks later. The CPU that was killed was "not their problem" and fortunately Intel replaced it (but with a crappy silicon sample).

Edited by Mr. Fox
  • Thanks 1
  • Respect 1

Owned

Full Rig Info

Owned

Full Rig Info

Owned

Full Rig Info

19 minutes ago, Mr. Fox said:

The Strix 4090 OC is an absolute turd and I am trying to get NewEgg to give me a refund. If not, I guess I will have to roll the dice on an exchange. The MSI Suprim utterly destroys it in benchmarks because the memory overclocking on the Strix is horrible.  The Suprim was able to handle +1600 with ECC enabled and the Strix maxes out between +1300 and +1350 with ECC enabled. It was $200 more and a regrettable buy. I should have known better and just waited for another Suprim X to become available.

I wish I would have seen this before I ordered the Strix. Maximum Overclock Comparison. Seems they have a reputation for sucky memory. 4090s that sell for $500-$700 less do better. 

image.png.07151db32b69f7412d97d08402cb283c.png

Literally every high-end component I have purchased from ASUS has failed and required an RMA. The only products I have purchased from ASUS that have been reliable are economy (Prime) and mid-range gamerboy (Strix) mobos. They have never given me any trouble.

What makes it especially miserable is their warranty process. They take 3 to 6 weeks to process, you have to pay out of pocket to send the defective product, and then they look for every excuse under the sun (including stupid stuff, like signs off normal wear) to deny the warranty. My experience with them has been deplorable. I also have two friends that have been denied warranty with Rampage motherboard claiming CPU socket pins were bent. They took photos and had proof they were not bent when it shipped and had long drawn-out arguments with them over it. One guy it happened twice to, and his first replacement was a refurb that arrived with bent pins.  One of my failed motherboards caught on fire and the last one, Z490 Apex, killed a golden bin 10900KF when it failed. When I called about the one that caught on fire, the support rep told me it is not covered under warranty and I had to demand to speak to a Supervisor to even get them to agree to look at it. I got a replacement 6 weeks later. The CPU that was killed was "not their problem" and fortunately Intel replaced it (but with a crappy silicon sample).

What is the core oc'ing like on your 4090 Strix OC ? I know someone else who just got a new Strix a few days ago (store-bought afaik) and his core-oc is 'decent' but not special, though VRAM oc is among the best I have ever seen (close to +2000). I wonder if the one you got was older stock. 

Don't get me wrong re. the table above, TPU is among my fav trusted sources - but they won't have more than a few samples to work with, and early 4090s were all over the place. My water-cooled Giga-G-OC for example benches at up to 3.24 G core at ambient temps. VRAM at +1540 as long as it is warmed up, and some weird memory holes above that (+1702 works, but not less or more). I do think though that Micron GDDR6X 2GB chip VRAM has been getting better with more recent samples which is why I wonder about the production date of your card.

FYI, overall, my experience with Asus has been mostly positive with top-end mobos and GPUs, exception being the X99 gen which had some wild early bios voltages for VCCSA that liked to kill CPUs (they fixed that later on). I had one major GPU RMA experience with Asus which they handled really well, ditto for MSI.

• Respect 1

Owned

Full Rig Info

7 hours ago, J7SC_Orion said:

What is the core oc'ing like on your 4090 Strix OC ? I know someone else who just got a new Strix a few days ago (store-bought afaik) and his core-oc is 'decent' but not special, though VRAM oc is among the best I have ever seen (close to +2000). I wonder if the one you got was older stock. 

Don't get me wrong re. the table above, TPU is among my fav trusted sources - but they won't have more than a few samples to work with, and early 4090s were all over the place. My water-cooled Giga-G-OC for example benches at up to 3.24 G core at ambient temps. VRAM at +1540 as long as it is warmed up, and some weird memory holes above that (+1702 works, but not less or more). I do think though that Micron GDDR6X 2GB chip VRAM has been getting better with more recent samples which is why I wonder about the production date of your card.

FYI, overall, my experience with Asus has been mostly positive with top-end mobos and GPUs, exception being the X99 gen which had some wild early bios voltages for VCCSA that liked to kill CPUs (they fixed that later on). I had one major GPU RMA experience with Asus which they handled really well, ditto for MSI.

Core overclocking is decent enough. About the same as the Suprim. Holds 3000 in benchmarks with ambient cooling, so it's only the crappy memory overclocking. If it is old stock, it spent time somewhere else before it got to NewEgg. I can't see anything that tells me when it was made. The vBIOS release date is 10/12/2022, but that only tells us how old the firmware is.

It is really unfortunate that the GPU AIB partners are charging exhoribitant prices for subpar garbage wearing a flagship label. If the Strix was $1500-$1600 like a Cracker Jack gamer-wuss GPU there would be no basis to complain. Considering it is only outpriced by the Galax HOF OC Lab (that we can't even buy in the US) they should be binning and cherry-picking core and memory to justify the asinine price. Had it matched or beat the Sumprim, I would not have complained about getting screwed. I'd be content. With the RGB turned off it looks nice and it is built like a flagship in terms of construction.

With the RGB turned on it looks like it belongs at a circus or carnival. But, ugly is the new modern. The Galax HOF OC Lab 4090 is among the ugliest I have seen, except for those extra-ugly and ridiculous Yeston GPUs... those take the cake on disgusting aesthetics.

Edited by Mr. Fox
  • Respect 2

Owned

Full Rig Info

Owned

Full Rig Info

Owned

Full Rig Info

46 minutes ago, Mr. Fox said:

Core overclocking is decent enough. About the same as the Suprim. Holds 3000 in benchmarks with ambient cooling, so it's only the crappy memory overclocking. If it is old stock, it spent time somewhere else before it got to NewEgg. I can't see anything that tells me when it was made. The vBIOS release date is 10/12/2022, but that only tells us how old the firmware is.

It is really unfortunate that the GPU AIB partners are charging exhoribitant prices for subpar garbage wearing a flagship label. If the Strix was $1500-$1600 like a Cracker Jack gamer-wuss GPU there would be no basis to complain. Considering it is only outpriced by the Galax HOF OC Lab (that we can't even buy in the US) they should be binning and cherry-picking core and memory to justify the asinine price. Had it matched or beat the Sumprim, I would not have complained about getting screwed. I'd be content. With the RGB turned off it looks nice and it is built like a flagship in terms of construction.

With the RGB turned on it looks like it belongs at a circus or carnival. But, ugly is the new modern. The Galax HOF OC Lab 4090 is among the ugliest I have seen, except for those extra-ugly and ridiculous Yeston GPUs... those take the cake on disgusting aesthetics.

...your GPU's serial number should unkey to the production date, but your would need Asus customer service assistance to do it...

...Yeston GPUs are so far beyond weird-looking that they almost qualify for cute (if you're 11 years old...). The Galax HOF OCL actually have the nicest-looking and performing PCB, but their oddly ornamented cooler and accessories with crowns everywhere look like graffiti (IMO) on it. The special Galax HOF OCL versions hold most of the Firestrike and Timespy HWBot records, though. I know someone in the US who always gets the latest Galax HOF, but he mods them anyway, so the RMA 'process' is mostly irrelevant to him. He just ordered the Bykski block for the Galax 4090 HOF (afaik, the only Galax 4090 HOF waterblock) and that cleans up the appearance.  

...have you ever heard of Kudan ? They make the others, including Galax and Asus Strix, look cheap (see inserted prices for previous versions, 4090 was just announced recently)...

Kudan1600u.thumb.jpg.04bf220956b26bedd9ecca275477df3c.jpg

• Thanks 1

Owned

Full Rig Info

11 hours ago, J7SC_Orion said:

...your GPU's serial number should unkey to the production date, but your would need Asus customer service assistance to do it...

...Yeston GPUs are so far beyond weird-looking that they almost qualify for cute (if you're 11 years old...). The Galax HOF OCL actually have the nicest-looking and performing PCB, but their oddly ornamented cooler and accessories with crowns everywhere look like graffiti (IMO) on it. The special Galax HOF OCL versions hold most of the Firestrike and Timespy HWBot records, though. I know someone in the US who always gets the latest Galax HOF, but he mods them anyway, so the RMA 'process' is mostly irrelevant to him. He just ordered the Bykski block for the Galax 4090 HOF (afaik, the only Galax 4090 HOF waterblock) and that cleans up the appearance.  

...have you ever heard of Kudan ? They make the others, including Galax and Asus Strix, look cheap (see inserted prices for previous versions, 4090 was just announced recently)...

Kudan1600u.thumb.jpg.04bf220956b26bedd9ecca275477df3c.jpg

I have heard of Colorful, of course, but not their "Kudan" product line. Those are some very sweet-looking steampunk designs they have. If they are of equal caliber to the Kingpin and Galax HOF OCL GPUs in terms of extreme overclocking capabilities, I am surprised that I have not heard of them. Perhaps it is because they are very limited availability and primarily focused on striking aesthetics?? Those design visuals would perfectly compliment the latest@iamjancoproject.

I really cannot relate to the extreme tackiness that has become so popular. That is probably both cultural and generational, but those Kundan GPUs are proof that good taste still exists. I will probably never have the privilege of owning a Galax HOF OCL video card. I would love to have one, but I have always thought their products were aesthetically hideous and tacky-looking.

• Respect 1

Owned

Full Rig Info

Owned

Full Rig Info

Owned

Full Rig Info

Premium Platinum - Lifetime

Colorful's Kudan, eh? That's a first for me. It does look interesting, but $5000+ would buy a lot of real steampunk.

I do agree with Mr. Fox about all the tacky stuff being pawned off these days. Like him, I'm also not a fan of it.

Btw, Kudan in Japanese seems to imply some kind of worshipped cow. Not quite the way it's worshipped in India (the Japanese are sensible and still eat beef), but still worshipped.

EN.WIKIPEDIA.ORG

Edited by iamjanco
  • Thanks 1
  • Respect 1

55 minutes ago, Mr. Fox said:

I have heard of Colorful, of course, but not their "Kudan" product line. Those are some very sweet-looking steampunk designs they have. If they are of equal caliber to the Kingpin and Galax HOF OCL GPUs in terms of extreme overclocking capabilities, I am surprised that I have not heard of them. Perhaps it is because they are very limited availability and primarily focused on striking aesthetics?? Those design visuals would perfectly compliment the latest@iamjancoproject.

I really cannot relate to the extreme tackiness that has become so popular. That is probably both cultural and generational, but those Kundan GPUs are proof that good taste still exists. I will probably never have the privilege of owning a Galax HOF OCL video card. I would love to have one, but I have always thought their products were aesthetically hideous and tacky-looking.

41 minutes ago, iamjanco said:

Colorful's Kudan, eh? That's a first for me. It does look interesting, but $5000+ would buy a lot of real steampunk.

I do agree with Mr. Fox about all the tacky stuff being pawned off these days. Like him, I'm also not a fan of it.

Btw, Kudan in Japanese seems to imply some kind of worshipped cow. Not quite the way it's worshipped in India (the Japanese are sensible and still eat beef), but still worshipped.

EN.WIKIPEDIA.ORG

...using an automotive example, the $5K Kudan is not just a top-line Mercedes, not even 'just' an AMG, but an AMG Black Series. What I really do like about the Kudan in terms of functionality is that it is set up simultaneously for:

a.) air-cooling, AND
b.) AIO cooling, AND
c.) custom water-cooling w/o having to ever take it apart...but then, for $5K (for the 3090) it is the least they can do !

The 4090 Kudan is supposed to look very similar to the 3090 in the video below....Kudan has a big chunk of the big Chinese market so they should have enough volume buying from NVidia to get the well-binned Ada L cores  - apparently, you have to buy a given volume of 'so so' bins from NVidia before you get a few good ones. That is why Galax are always late to the party with their HOF OCL (same for KingPin)...Galax belongs to the Palit group, which is the largest GPU producer (and thus NVidia buyer) by volume.  This time around with 4090s, it probably paid to be an early buyer though regarding core speeds around initial review time that followed the mining collapse.  Later 4090 purchases should generally have better VRAM though (obviously, there are exceptions) as Micron is ramping up GDDR6X 2GB module production (prior, only the low-volume 3090 Ti had those; the 3090 had 1 GB modules). That is why I asked what production date your Strix was. As the market for this gen 'compartmentalizes', chances of getting a fast-core / lower-$ cost 4090 are slimming, IMO.  I also find it interesting that the rather expensive Strix comes in 'OC' and regular flavours. It could be just a money grab, or there may still be that group of sub-zero OCers that are looking for higher leakage GPUs. It scares me though to think what is going on at over 1300 W (Galax OCL) in an N4 die with 76.3 billion transistors during HWBot runs...

Regarding looks, even my formerly heavily RGBed and ornamented big > 4090 cleaned up nicely once water-cooled, not to mention shrink a lot in several dimensions. While I typically keep peak Watts well below the maximum 671+W I have seen in ROG Furmark Vulkan with the 'regular' Galax HOF vbios I am running, even at that wattage, temps are fine - and there simply is no noise. I have yet to try that Strix 1000 W XOC vbios I downloaded, but with all the safeties that has removed, no rush... 

Still, when it gets to bare PCBs, the 4090 Galax HOF gets my vote (also note the 2x 12Vhpwr in the pics below the Kudan 3090 vid)

spacer.pngspacer.png

• Thanks 1

Owned

Full Rig Info

Problem solved... no Strix 4090 replacement available, so it was refunded. No ASUS QC roulette required. Equal and better options are available for $200-$300 dollars less. At this point, I might just wait for 4090 Ti to drop and reassess the options at that point.

• Respect 2

Owned

Full Rig Info

Owned

Full Rig Info

Owned

Full Rig Info

Well, my shunt-modded 3060 Ti FTW3 on chilled water just took 3rd place from buildzoid's 3060 Ti on LN2.

image.png.f7239849af5c69475cc75fb8704a2872.png

https://hwbot.org/submission/5216196_ | https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/90137564#

image_id_2874914.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Respect 2

Owned

Full Rig Info

Owned

Full Rig Info

Owned

Full Rig Info

• Respect 2

Owned

Full Rig Info

Owned

Full Rig Info

Owned

Full Rig Info

Nice work @Mr. Fox 😄
Now that I have a cascade I might just revisit some of those 🤔

• Thanks 1

Owned

Full Rig Info

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/90902010

HWBOT.ORG

The Radeon RX 6900 XT @ 2850/2200MHzscores getScoreFormatted in the 3DMark - Fire Strike benchmark. MrFoxranks #null worldwide and #8 in the hardware class. Find out more at HWBOT.

image_id_2882925.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Owned

Full Rig Info

Owned

Full Rig Info

Owned

Full Rig Info

• 2 weeks later...