Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, register to take part in our community, don't worry this is a simple FREE process that requires minimal information for you to signup.

Registered users can: 

• Start new topics and reply to others.
  • Show off your PC using our Rig Creator feature.
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get updates.
  • Get your own profile page to customize.
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.
  • Upgrade to Premium to unlock additional sites features.
IGNORED

Linux 5.9 Stable Expected In Two Weeks, But For Now Is Linux 5.9-rc7

axipher
1 Attachment

Linus Torvalds just released Linux 5.9-rc7 as the newest weekly test candidate for Linux 5.9. Due to the regressions encountered this cycle and prominent issues being resolved late, he's looking at releasing Linux 5.9 in two weeks time rather than next week.

Linus began the 5.9-rc7 announcement with, "So we finally have all the issues I know about sorted out - the fix for the VM issue I mentioned in the rc6 announcement is here, as is the fix for the slab corruption issue that was separately discussed, along with another silly page locking bug one-liner fix. But while I do now know of any remaining gating issues any more, the fixes came in fairly late. So unless I feel insanely optimistic and/or a burning bush tells me that everything is bug-free, my plan right now is that I'll do another rc next Sunday rather than the final 5.9 release. And btw, please no more burning bushes. We're kind of sensitive about those on the West coast right now."

Source

AMDGPU clock controls have been broken in rc2-rc6. Same thing happened in the run up to the 5.8 kernel, but at the last rc the offending patches were all reverted before the stable kernel was released.  Just built rc7, so we'll see how it goes. ?

Hoping that it will be fixed in this rc or the final rc, since the 5.9 amd-staging kernel has been working flawlessly for me for the last three weeks.