Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, register to take part in our community, don't worry this is a simple FREE process that requires minimal information for you to signup.

Registered users can: 

• Start new topics and reply to others.
  • Show off your PC using our Rig Creator feature.
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get updates.
  • Get your own profile page to customize.
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.
  • Upgrade to Premium to unlock additional sites features.
IGNORED

AMDGPU Gets A Big Batch Of Fixes For Its New Driver Code Coming In Linux 5.10

axipher

Folding@Home Staff
729 373

In addition to the last minute AMDGPU fixes for Linux 5.9 that include work on the RDNA2 new GPU support and promoting Navi 12 out of the experimental status, an initial batch of fixes for AMDGPU were also sent in to DRM-Next on Wednesday in addressing early fallout from the new feature code slated for Linux 5.10.

With the window for merging new feature code to DRM-Next to make it in Linux 5.10 closed, the AMDGPU pull request issued on Wednesday is for the initial batch of fixes after landing various features in recent weeks.

The fixes for the AMDGPU (and AMDKFD/Radeon) driver code for DRM-Next/Linux 5.10 include correcting problems with AMDKFD compute initialization failures, backlight problems, eDP issues, memory clock handling fixes for Navi 1x, SR-IOV fixes, power fixes for Raven and Renoir APUs, and other fixes throughout.

Source

Lots of great new work for AMD GPU's happening still.

They need to work on OpenCL.  ROCm, the open source OpenCL driver, doesn't support all their GPU's and doesn't work with all applications.  The proprietary OpenCL driver that does work on all AMD GPU's and with all applications isn't installable on all distros.

It's one of the reasons why I removed my Radeon VII and reinstalled my 1070ti FTW.  I gave up some gaming performance, but gained functionality.

Edited by Diffident

ROCm is a bit of a mess.  I am actually running it on an upstream kernel, but the OpenCL implementation in ROCm is incomplete at best.  

Right now I'm not sure what AMD wants developers to do.  AMD is pushing their HIP/HCC stack, OpenCL 3.0 rolls back the clock about a decade on the standard, and Intel is pushing OneAPI.  All the while CUDA is remains the dominant platform.  Hopefully their is a future for OpenCL, but right it doesn't look great.