Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, register to take part in our community, don't worry this is a simple FREE process that requires minimal information for you to signup.

Registered users can: 

• Start new topics and reply to others.
  • Show off your PC using our Rig Creator feature.
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get updates.
  • Get your own profile page to customize.
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.
  • Upgrade to Premium to unlock additional sites features.
IGNORED

Frankenstein Upgrade/Build

schuck6566
1 Attachment

A friend who is hard headed & NOT knowledgeable about computers asked for some help replacing his old gateway that had the old i5-650 in it. He wanted to get another used machine that would last quite a while(I wanted to just build new but he was afraid of cost)so we found an HP Z420 without the OS for about $225 with shipping. see here for most similar details--> https://www.cnet.com/products/hp-workstation-z420-cmt-xeon-e5-1650v2-3-5-ghz-8-gb-500-gb-g3e87usaba/

For the OS,We simply transferred his 500Gb drive from the gateway to the HP machine and made the blank 500Gb drive a secondary drive with the Music & Photos files being moved to it now.

We ALSO went on ebay and found a refurbished Gtx 1060 6Gb from Zotacs site, and an additional 24Gb of ram for about $200 after taxes and shipping.

My only issue is that I have a problem either with 1 stick of ram or 1 memory slot,so we just left 2 slots empty and he's running 24Gb of ram. ;)

On Cinebench R20 it seems to hold it's own rather nicely with the 3rd & 4th generation i-7 cpu's in the comparison list, and in the heaven bench mark it blew my i7-2600/gtx 970 scores away.

I've plugged the parts in on game debates site & they say it can actually run most of the games out & coming out in medium to high with no issues. :)

lol, He mostly web browses but now is considering getting a controller and trying some games. ?  This from a man who calls me to walk him through updating CCleaner every time. The thrill of watching the frames speed by wins another convert from their phone. ;) Oh,I also transferred the wireless card we had in his old gateway so the system is running on his wifi. If I get the chance,I'll run some test with it & put the results on a usb so I can post them here for every one. :)

It's always fun to build a pc with used parts! I hope he'll enjoy that system, nice work ?

Also, welcome to EHW @Salty_Pepperpot :classic_biggrin:

Edited by Bastiaan_NL

Owned

CPU: Intel Core i9 13900KF
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z690 HERO
RAM: G.SKILL Trident Z5 6400CL30-38-38-28
PSU: Corsair AX1600i
GPU: Galax 4090 Hall Of Fame OCLabs Edition
Full Rig Info