Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, register to take part in our community, don't worry this is a simple FREE process that requires minimal information for you to signup.

Registered users can: 

• Start new topics and reply to others.
  • Show off your PC using our Rig Creator feature.
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get updates.
  • Get your own profile page to customize.
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.
  • Upgrade to Premium to unlock additional sites features.
IGNORED

AMD 6800XT Owners - Share your experiences!

GanjaSMK
2 Attachments

I am on Intel 10-series and z490 chipset with this card, the MSI Trio version. 

Was plagued with black screen/green screen and hard-freeze issues when it first installed - BUT - seems there are still some underlying issues around DP and monitors with either drivers or the card. 

Example:

3 monitors

1  24" HD IPS, 24" 1 HD LED, 1 27" HD 144/165 Gaming 

The old 24" monitors are 60hz and only have DVI/HDMI no DP connections - so using DVI to HDMI cables - work flawlessly.

The newer MSI Gaming monitor is the G27C4 variant and offers 165hz @ DP or 144 @ HDMI.  

When I use a DP cable for 165hz on the gaming monitor it's super weird.  Windows doesn't remember positions when waking from monitor sleep and the identification of monitors does not match between Windows and Radeon drivers.  Refer to monitor setup below.  When using monitor #3 with DP, windows sets that as #1 - and numbers 1 and 2 become #2 and #3 respectively via Windows, where as Radeon does not identify the same monitors as the same.  If I use all-HDMI connections, Windows and Radeon drivers identify matching monitors.  I have tested with clean driver installs, with old driver sets (back to Nov release drivers for 6000 series only) and via Radeon updates.  Seems driver/DP related but dunno why.  I've read that the DP ports on this card are 1.4 release whereas the monitor I have is 1.2a and this could be an issue somehow.  I have only tried cables that are 1.2 and unknown versions purchased at local computer recycling center.  Ordered a 1.4 cable and is on the way, so will test when it arrives but I don't think it's cable related anyhow.

***REMOVED section with missing pictures from old setup****

Please share anything you've come across!  AMD or Intel platform.  Is anyone with AMD seeing better results due to native SAM implementation?  Anyone know how Re-BAR is supposed to work on Intel z490/590 chipsets with BIOS updates?

Aha. Disregard my smoke filled brain.  Enabled in BIOS right in PCIe section, cause, you know, READ dummy (note to self).

UPDATE:

Swooped up a couple high refresh rate monitors and this is now my general setup.  Considering moving all of this to another room and setting up LARGE display (43" 4K TV into the mix).  But for now....

And yes, that is a curved monitor in portrait mode.  I LOVE IT.

Monitors.jpg

Edited by GanjaSMK
I'm dumb and used dumb words.

• 3 months later...

I see that this thread is a ghost town but I will definitely share my experience with it when i get my Powercolor Red Devil friday. I really didnt want to buy anything like this in the current market but for $1,400 used off ebay it looked like a steal compared to the other nvidia cards right now. Plus I made some money on the stock market soooo why not? lol

Owned

CPU: Ryzen 3600
MOTHERBOARD: B450 MSI Tomahawk
GPU: 6800XT
CPU COOLER: Air Cooler
PSU: EVGA 750 Supervova G2
RAM: DDR4 3200Mhz 16GB
MONITOR: LG 32" 1440p 144Hz
Full Rig Info

First time seeing this thread. My experience with the RX6800 has been pretty good. One game had a texture flickering issue that I was sort of able to fix with a mod but other than that it's been pretty solid. A few trade offs vs the Nvidia control panel settings but nothing major. 

Owned

CPU: 5800x
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS TUF Gaming B550-Plus
RAM: XMP 3600mhz CL16
GPU: 7900XT
SOUNDCARD: Sound Blaster Z 5.1 home theater
MONITOR: 4K 65 inch TV
Full Rig Info

Have you folks tried out the 'More Power Tool' (Igor's Lab) for your 6800 XT ? I added a 3x8 pin 6900 XT just over a week ago (no problems so far) and been moving up the Power Target related parameters...this of course also works on the 6800 XT, and as long as you keep an eye on temps, it's a lot of fun !

Owned

CPU: CPU: ><.......7950X3D - Aorus X670E Master - 48GB DDR5 7200 (8000) TridentZ SK Hynix - Giga-G-OC/Galax RTX 4090 670W - LG 48 OLED - 4TB NVMEs >< .......5950X - Asus CH 8 Dark Hero - 32GB CL13 DDR4 4000 - AMD R 6900XT 500W - Philips BDM40 4K VA - 2TB NVME & 3TB SSDs >> - <<.......4.4 TR 2950X - MSI X399 Creation - 32 GB CL 14 3866 - Asus RTX 3090 Strix OC/KPin 520W and 2x RTX 2080 Ti Gigabyte XTR WF WB 380W - LG 55 IPS HDR - 1TB NVME & 4TB SSDs
Full Rig Info

On 15/06/2021 at 14:06, J_RiZz said:

I see that this thread is a ghost town but I will definitely share my experience with it when i get my Powercolor Red Devil friday. I really didnt want to buy anything like this in the current market but for $1,400 used off ebay it looked like a steal compared to the other nvidia cards right now. Plus I made some money on the stock market soooo why not? lol

im trying to view this thread but the whole site is unformateed for me right now. Server error?

current view.png

• Thanks 1

Owned

Full Rig Info

Alright so I did get the card earlier than expected but I needed a few days to play around with it. The card is very nice. Stays pretty cool and fan noise isn't a problem.

I did however experience some problems upon installation like crashing and display not being detected. but its seems fine now and i have almost no issues now. very strange though.

Performance is awesome and is definitely a noticeable upgrade from my 1070. I ran Timespy with +15% power and 2400 - 2500 Mhz.

Graphics score: 18,368

https://www.3dmark.com/spy/20967168

image.thumb.png.e26b41cf4b49a65b49607f22b6754f64.png

Edited by J_RiZz

Owned

Full Rig Info

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to chime in one more time about the Powercolor Red Devil 6800XT I purchased. So the issue with display not being detected and random crashes actually continued further to the point where I could never get the display detected. I switched back to the 1070 and same thing - no display.

So at this point I'm frustrated and feeling defeated. And of course I tried clearing cmos and trying the other pcie slot.  At least i knew by this point that it could not be the 6800xt since the 1070 is not even outputting a display now.

Until I looked online and tried removing a stick of ram, i was finally able to get into bios and windows. My ram stick wasnt faulty though. I reset all my CPU and RAM overclocks, stuck the other stick back in, reinstalled the 6800XT, and everything was flawless after that. Seems it was the overclocks in my system that was causing problems with the card not displaying and crashing.

but my god this card is a 😈 alright lol.

Owned

Full Rig Info

I didn't even know people finally saw this thread!

I've had mine since January and I have had nothing but great experiences for it.  Rather, I'm actually waiting for newer more interesting games to play.

I'm curious to see if BF6 will be handled well with this card, considering they sponsored with the green team.  😛

• 3 weeks later...