Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, register to take part in our community, don't worry this is a simple FREE process that requires minimal information for you to signup.

Registered users can: 

• Start new topics and reply to others.
  • Show off your PC using our Rig Creator feature.
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get updates.
  • Get your own profile page to customize.
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.
  • Upgrade to Premium to unlock additional sites features.
IGNORED

Climate Change Has Knocked Earth Off Its Axis

The findings, published last month in Geophysical Research Letters, uses satellites that track gravity to track what researchers call “polar drift.” While we think of gravity as a constant, it’s actually a moving target based on the shape of the planet. While earthquakes and other geophysical activities can certainly play a role by pushing land around, it’s water that is responsible for the biggest shifts. The satellites used for the study, known as GRACE and GRACE-FO, were calibrated to measure Earth’s shifting mass.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/climate-change-has-knocked-earth-off-its-axis/ar-BB1fYYng?ocid=mmx&PC=EMMX20

Pretty interesting read. 

Owned

CPU: 5800x
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS TUF Gaming B550-Plus
RAM: XMP 3600mhz CL16
GPU: 7900XT
SOUNDCARD: Sound Blaster Z 5.1 home theater
MONITOR: 4K 65 inch TV
Full Rig Info

23 minutes ago, UltraMega said:

Well this is shitty news. Damn. We're toast. 

Premium Platinum - Lifetime
769 1,673
6 hours ago, UltraMega said:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/climate-change-has-knocked-earth-off-its-axis/ar-BB1fYYng?ocid=mmx&PC=EMMX20

While earthquakes and other geophysical activities can certainly play a role by pushing land around, it’s water that is responsible for the biggest shifts.

5 hours ago, Avacado said:

Well this is shitty news. Damn.

Only if you're down under where the toilets like to flush backwards.

I hope The Netherlands will shift a bit to the North, I prefer cold weather...

Oh, and the USA a bit closer would be good too. Like driving distance..

• Thanks 1

Owned

CPU: Intel Core i9 13900KF
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z690 HERO
RAM: G.SKILL Trident Z5 6400CL30-38-38-28
PSU: Corsair AX1600i
GPU: Galax 4090 Hall Of Fame OCLabs Edition
Full Rig Info

4 hours ago, Bastiaan_NL said:

I hope The Netherlands will shift a bit to the North, I prefer cold weather...

Oh, and the USA a bit closer would be good too. Like driving distance..

...or you could just move to Alert on Ellesmere Island, would be easier / quicker than waiting for The Netherlands moving North significantly... 

Alert_Canada.thumb.jpg.3d7fd769e0249133cbe41c37d8fd93e9.jpg

1 hour ago, iamjanco said:

I'd like that. I'd be able to get patat met pindasaus again.

oh, and real drop.

...see map above, think seal meat with your potato fries (but avoid becoming polar bear dinner yourself).

Edited by J7SC_Orion
  • Thanks 1

Owned

CPU: CPU: ><.......7950X3D - Aorus X670E Master - 48GB DDR5 7200 (8000) TridentZ SK Hynix - Giga-G-OC/Galax RTX 4090 670W - LG 48 OLED - 4TB NVMEs >< .......5950X - Asus CH 8 Dark Hero - 32GB CL13 DDR4 4000 - AMD R 6900XT 500W - Philips BDM40 4K VA - 2TB NVME & 3TB SSDs >> - <<.......4.4 TR 2950X - MSI X399 Creation - 32 GB CL 14 3866 - Asus RTX 3090 Strix OC/KPin 520W and 2x RTX 2080 Ti Gigabyte XTR WF WB 380W - LG 55 IPS HDR - 1TB NVME & 4TB SSDs
Full Rig Info

Premium Platinum - Lifetime
769 1,673
3 hours ago, J7SC_Orion said:

Alert on Ellesmere Island

3 hours ago, J7SC_Orion said:

avoid becoming polar bear dinner

weatherby's got the polar bears covered. it's the tuunbaq i'd be worried about living that far north...

tuunbaq.thumb.jpg.f477f26b4af7b8a5d2afbc7d312eb0bb.jpg

8 hours ago, iamjanco said:

I'd like that. I'd be able to get patat met pindasaus again.

oh, and real drop.

A patatje oorlog met ui is also pretty good :classic_biggrin:

7 hours ago, J7SC_Orion said:

...or you could just move to Alert on Ellesmere Island, would be easier / quicker than waiting for The Netherlands moving North significantly... 

...see map above, think seal meat with your potato fries (but avoid becoming polar bear dinner yourself).

That's a bit extreme, I think Iceland would be perfect. 

Owned

Full Rig Info

1 hour ago, Bastiaan_NL said:

Just stop, you are moving into the dungeon. We've already discussed this. I called dibs on you you months ago. 

9 hours ago, iamjanco said:

weatherby's got the polar bears covered. it's the tuunbaq i'd be worried about living that far north...

tuunbaq.thumb.jpg.f477f26b4af7b8a5d2afbc7d312eb0bb.jpg

...and yet - as Franklin's ill-fated expedition to find the NW Passage showed - when it gets to avoid being eaten up there, you might have more to worry about re. your crew-mates...

Owned

CPU: CPU: ><.......7950X3D - Aorus X670E Master - 48GB DDR5 7200 (8000) TridentZ SK Hynix - Giga-G-OC/Galax RTX 4090 670W - LG 48 OLED - 4TB NVMEs >< .......5950X - Asus CH 8 Dark Hero - 32GB CL13 DDR4 4000 - AMD R 6900XT 500W - Philips BDM40 4K VA - 2TB NVME & 3TB SSDs >> - <<.......4.4 TR 2950X - MSI X399 Creation - 32 GB CL 14 3866 - Asus RTX 3090 Strix OC/KPin 520W and 2x RTX 2080 Ti Gigabyte XTR WF WB 380W - LG 55 IPS HDR - 1TB NVME & 4TB SSDs
Full Rig Info

5 hours ago, Bastiaan_NL said:

...not so hasty ! Check out the average temp at Alert and think of a massive folding (and similar use cases ? ) setup re. cooling. Also, your food freezer is as big as you want and won't take away any precious Watts from your computing endeavors...on the other hand, I don't think you can get Ueber Eats deliveries up there

Alert_Canada_temps.jpg.65276fcc2f4778f7e05ae82fb3d39a58.jpg 

Owned

Full Rig Info

It is a bit hard to stay on topic :classic_laugh:

4 hours ago, Avacado said:

Just stop, you are moving into the dungeon. We've already discussed this. I called dibs on you you months ago. 

Oh I know, I'm almost done packing! Let me know when you have those solar panels set up, that'll be my cue.

24 minutes ago, J7SC_Orion said:

...not so hasty ! Check out the average temp at Alert and think of a massive folding (and similar use cases ? ) setup re. cooling. Also, your food freezer is as big as you want and won't take away any precious Watts from your computing endeavors...on the other hand, I don't think you can get Ueber Eats deliveries up there

Jeez, that's a colder average as my freezer at home! The summer days would be pretty nice, but those record low temps are a bit too much. It would be good for record benchmarks and the folding temps, but the Quick Return Bonus would be pretty low. Pretty sure they send a carrier pigeon with a letter instead of a text because there is no connection, though I'm not sure those birds will survive..

Owned

Full Rig Info

11 minutes ago, Bastiaan_NL said:

It is a bit hard to stay on topic :classic_laugh:

Oh I know, I'm almost done packing! Let me know when you have those solar panels set up, that'll be my cue.

Jeez, that's a colder average as my freezer at home! The summer days would be pretty nice, but those record low temps are a bit too much. It would be good for record benchmarks and the folding temps, but the Quick Return Bonus would be pretty low. Pretty sure they send a carrier pigeon with a letter instead of a text because there is no connection, though I'm not sure those birds will survive..

...it's a military base, with plenty of satellite connections - and big Hercules aircraft for transport. In-flight service may lack, though :classic_laugh:

alert-herc-fuel-run.jpg.d402358ac9b880e55ec10742635e46ae.jpg

• Thanks 2

Owned

Full Rig Info