Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, register to take part in our community, don't worry this is a simple FREE process that requires minimal information for you to signup.

Registered users can: 

• Start new topics and reply to others.
  • Show off your PC using our Rig Creator feature.
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get updates.
  • Get your own profile page to customize.
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.
  • Upgrade to Premium to unlock additional sites features.
IGNORED

Valve Might Be Trying To Get Xbox Game Pass On Steam

According to industry insider Tyler McVicker, Valve is trying to get Xbox Game Pass on its platform. This comes from a recent podcast where McVicker answered a number of questions from his fans, including one that pondered if Valve was trying to set up its own competing subscription service.

"Valve is trying to get Game Pass on Steam," McVicker corrected. "Boom."

WWW.THEGAMER.COM

Valve is trying to get Xbox Game Pass on Steam according to industry insider Tyler McVicker.

I heard this mentioned in a Digital Foundry podcast so I looked it up and there does seem to be some evidence to support this, though I haven't found anything beyond this one quote so far. It does stand to reason that Microsoft would want game pass to be more ubiquitous but I doubt they would want to support steamOS with it so who knows. I wonder if this does end up happening if it will only be for the windows version of steam. 

Owned

CPU: 5800x
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS TUF Gaming B550-Plus
RAM: XMP 3600mhz CL16
GPU: 7900XT
SOUNDCARD: Sound Blaster Z 5.1 home theater
MONITOR: 4K 65 inch TV
Full Rig Info

Forum Moderators
1.1k 501

iRacing is on Steam, so I don't see why not.

Owned

CPU: i7 9570H
GPU: AMD 5300m
RAM: 16GB
SSD/NVME: 512GB
OPERATING SYSTEM: macOS Sonoma
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: 5800X
GPU: RTX 2070
RAM: 32GB
SSD/NVME: 500GB 960 Evo
SSD/NVME 2: 1TB 860 Evo
SSD/NVME 3: 1TB 860 Evo
PSU: EVGA 650w Modular
OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 11
Full Rig Info

9 minutes ago, Andrew said:

iRacing is on Steam, so I don't see why not.

That, and EA's monthly subscription service is on steam as well. 

Owned

Full Rig Info

If it happens for SteamOS, combined with Valve's current plan to have every Windows game on Steam playable on SteamOS by the release of the Steam Deck...there's little reason for gamers to continue to cling to Windows with Microsoft's data mining, windows "updates" and other proprietary nonsense.

spacer.png

39 minutes ago, Diffident said:

If it happens for SteamOS, combined with Valve's current plan to have every Windows game on Steam playable on SteamOS by the release of the Steam Deck...there's little reason for gamers to continue to cling to Windows with Microsoft's data mining, windows "updates" and other proprietary nonsense.

spacer.png

And that's probably why it wont come to steamOS. 

Owned

Full Rig Info

Forum Moderators
1.1k 501

It might do. I don't think Microsoft makes that much money from regular consumers these days. This is why Windows 8 was 1/4 of the price of pervious versions of Windows, 10 was a free update for 7/8 users and 11 is going to be a free update to 10 users. Most of the money that Microsoft gets these days is from OEMs, enterprise environments and Xbox sales.

Owned

Full Rig Info

Owned

Full Rig Info

42 minutes ago, Andrew said:

It might do. I don't think Microsoft makes that much money from regular consumers these days. This is why Windows 8 was 1/4 of the price of pervious versions of Windows, 10 was a free update for 7/8 users and 11 is going to be a free update to 10 users. Most of the money that Microsoft gets these days is from OEMs, enterprise environments and Xbox sales.

10 introduced the store (or did 8 do that?) so getting people on win10 at least gives them the potential to spend money with Microsoft on something other than Windows. I don't think Microsoft could keep charging people the same way for windows because over time there are better and better alternatives. Microsoft made the first consumer OS so they definitely had a monopoly on the market if only just from being first for a long time. If they charged the same for it now, people would be more likely to try some kind of alternative even if that means they end up playing different games. 

Annual Office subscriptions and Game Pass, soon they will also have the option to just pay a sub fee for a virtual PC via streaming. They've pivoted pretty well I think in terms of making money from people using windows without relying as much on the up front cost of windows itself. Microsoft is also just a way bigger company today and has been growing steadily. Windows is a smaller chunk of their revenue even adding in things like Office subscriptions in no small part because they're making a lot of money from other sources as well these days. Ever since Balmer left, their stock pretty much only moves in one direction because they just keep growing. 

Owned

Full Rig Info

Forum Moderators
1.1k 501

Microsoft have straight up given up with the App Store. All Microsoft games that are on there are now on Steam as well. As far as Office goes, you can just get access to that on a web browser, at least for most of the Office applications. There is at least one exception to this that I can think of which is Microsoft Access which does require installing on Windows, but the rest of it as far as I know is available on Mac and also web browsers similar to Google Docs.

Owned

Full Rig Info

Owned

Full Rig Info

1 minute ago, Andrew said:

Microsoft have straight up given up with the App Store. All Microsoft games that are on there are now on Steam as well. As far as Office goes, you can just get access to that on a web browser, at least for most of the Office applications. There is at least one exception to this that I can think of which is Microsoft Access which does require installing on Windows, but the rest of it as far as I know is available on Mac and also web browsers similar to Google Docs.

Yea, all true but still I think they still sell a lot of office licenses, probably mostly in bulk to businesses. And yea their games are on Steam, and they still make money when they sell on there but I think game pass is also a pretty big deal, even if it hasn't blown up a lot yet which I don't really have any idea if it has or hasn't, but I think eventually there will be enough really good first party games on there that it will just make sense for most PC gamers to sign up. 

Microsoft is like a dealer who used to just sell weed, but now sells all kinds of stuff, and often sells to other dealers now too. They still sell a lot of weed but it's not they're main focus anymore. 

Owned

Full Rig Info

Microsoft is more concerned now with their products that are services Such as Office 365 and Xbox Game Pass. Those are 2 money making areas for them, and Game Pass is already available on Xbox,PC,Android,and iOS,so I can see them being available on the Steam OS.

https://support.xbox.com/en-US/help/subscriptions-billing/manage-subscriptions/xbox-game-pass-mobile-intro

And THIS from Steams page says it's likely to allow it...

Screenshot_523.jpg

Edited by schuck6566
added more info & screenshot