Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, register to take part in our community, don't worry this is a simple FREE process that requires minimal information for you to signup.

Registered users can: 

• Start new topics and reply to others.
  • Show off your PC using our Rig Creator feature.
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get updates.
  • Get your own profile page to customize.
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.
  • Upgrade to Premium to unlock additional sites features.
IGNORED

Microsoft: You Can't Get Around Windows 11 Requirements

Microsoft is sticking to its guns with Windows 11’s minimum requirements, with Microsoft Program Manager Aria Carley saying in a recent AMA webcast that your PC won’t even allow itself to download the upgrade if it doesn’t meet Microsoft’s standards.

Windows 11’s minimum requirements have caused a bit of an uproar ever since they were first announced alongside the OS earlier this June. Key points of concern were the need for TPM 2.0, an up-to-now obscure security feature that’s so niche that most standalone motherboards automatically disable it in their BIOS, as well as a strict CPU compatibility list. 

Source

Personally, I do not agree with the Windows 11 requirements. That being said, Microsoft surely knows that even once Win 11 has gone RTM, some clever clogs will be able to create a version to bypass these new requirements. 

The only thing MS can do to "punish" those who use a bypassed version would be to restrict windows update functions or to prevent activation among other things. However, again, these can be worked around.

I guess you have to weigh up messing around to get Win 11 functional on your PC vs sucking it up and making hardware alterations to be fully compliant.

£3000

Owned

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D
MOTHERBOARD: MSI Meg Ace X670E
RAM: Corsair Dominator Titanium 64GB (6000MT/s)
GPU: EVGA 3090 FTW Ultra Gaming
SSD/NVME: Corsair MP700 Pro Gen 5 2TB
PSU: EVGA Supernova T2 1600Watt
CASE: be quiet Dark Base Pro 900 Rev 2
FANS: Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC x 6
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: Intel Core i5 8500
RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) Kingston 2666Mhz
SSD/NVME: 256GB Samsung NVMe
NETWORK: HP 561T 10Gbe (Intel X540 T2)
MOTHERBOARD: Proprietry
GPU: Intel UHD Graphics 630
PSU: 90Watt
CASE: HP EliteDesk 800 G4 SFF
Full Rig Info

£3000

Owned

CPU: 2 x Xeon|E5-2696-V4 (44C/88T)
RAM: 128GB|16 x 8GB - DDR4 2400MHz (2Rx8)
MOTHERBOARD: HP Z840|Intel C612 Chipset
GPU: Nvidia Quadro P2200
HDD: 4x 16TB Toshiba MG08ACA16TE Enterprise
SSD/NVME: Intel 512GB 670p NVMe (Main OS)
SSD/NVME 2: Samsung 1TB 980 NVMe (VM's)
SSD/NVME 3: 2x Seagate FireCuda 1TB SSD's (Apps)
Full Rig Info

Not ideal but it doesn't bother me too much. The cut off is basically ddr3 and PCs that don't have 4k copywriting hardware. Doesn't sound like 11 really does anything new except run on arm so I don't see it as an issue for people with legacy hardware.

Owned

CPU: 5800x
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS TUF Gaming B550-Plus
RAM: XMP 3600mhz CL16
GPU: 7900XT
SOUNDCARD: Sound Blaster Z 5.1 home theater
MONITOR: 4K 65 inch TV
Full Rig Info

While Microsoft has since said that it’s testing Intel 7th gen CPUs with Windows 11, the first Windows 11 system requirements list said that you’d need to have at least an 8th gen Intel CPU or 2nd gen Ryzen CPU to upgrade to the new OS. For some context, Intel’s 8th generation launched as recently as 2017.

Just install Linux, no need for TPM 2.0 or Secureboot.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Diffident said:

Unless you want it, and then you're free to roll your own keys and encryption.

The AMA from the source is more or less worthless unless you were looking for an advertisement for Windows "cloud" services.

It will be interesting to see how this evolves.  Looks like jailbreaking Windows will be a thing in the future. 🙂 It will also be interesting to see how in place upgrades work. I guess mbr2gpt will now be a part of the Windows installer.

Outside of this being the first step for more intrusive and restrictive DRM, I don't really see the point of secure boot and TPM being a requirement.  If anyone has it, I'd love to see a link to the non-marketing, actual engineering reasons behind these requirements.  "It makes your device more secure" has zero substance. 

The minimum CPU requirements are even more absurd.  If there is so much focus on helping me secure my device, then why is Microsoft even letting me run an 8700k?  What kind of "testing" are they doing that would make such an arbitrary minimum CPU requirement?

Edited by tictoc
typos, formatting

On 27/07/2021 at 14:14, Diffident said:

This is what I did for my desktop that supposedly would not support windows 11

It's almost like they want to kill Windows to push Windows 365

Edited by cscoder4ever
  • Thanks 1

$$$

Owned

CPU: [AMD] 5900X
MOTHERBOARD: [Asus] ROG Strix b550-F GAMING
RAM: [G.Skill] Ripjaws V 64GB (2x32GB) DDR4 3600 CL16
GPU: [MSI] RTX 3080 VENTUS 3X PLUS
PSU: [EVGA] SuperNOVA 750 GT Full Modular
SSD/NVME: [Samsung] 980 pro 500GB
OPERATING SYSTEM: Arch Linux x86_64 w/ AwesomeWM
CASE: [Fractal] Meshify C
Full Rig Info

$380

Owned

CPU: [Intel] i7 6600U
CASE: [Lenovo] Thinkpad x260
RAM: [SK Hynix] 16GB DDR4 2133 (single channel boo!)
SSD/NVME: [Samsung] 850 evo 250GB
OPERATING SYSTEM: Arch Linux x86_64 w/ AwesomeWM
MONITOR: [Generic] 1080p IPS after-market Panel
Full Rig Info

Premium Platinum - Lifetime
On 28/07/2021 at 07:51, tictoc said:

Unless you want it, and then you're free to roll your own keys and encryption.

The AMA from the source is more or less worthless unless you were looking for an advertisement for Windows "cloud" services.

It will be interesting to see how this evolves.  Looks like jailbreaking Windows will be a thing in the future. 🙂 It will also be interesting to see how in place upgrades work. I guess mbr2gpt will now be a part of the Windows installer.

Outside of this being the first step for more intrusive and restrictive DRM, I don't really see the point of secure boot and TPM being a requirement.  If anyone has it, I'd love to see a link to the non-marketing, actual engineering reasons behind these requirements.  "It makes your device more secure" has zero substance. 

The minimum CPU requirements are even more absurd.  If there is so much focus on helping me secure my device, then why is Microsoft even letting me run an 8700k?  What kind of "testing" are they doing that would make such an arbitrary minimum CPU requirement?

Agree, TPM doesn't make sense at all. Does it protect rootkit, ransomware, spyware or malware? At best it blocks malware on UEFI level.

3 hours ago, steakikan said:

Agree, TPM doesn't make sense at all. Does it protect rootkit, ransomware, spyware or malware? At best it blocks malware on UEFI level.

That is all it does the be honest. It is certainly not the holy grail of security.

£3000

Owned

Full Rig Info

Owned

Full Rig Info

£3000

Owned

Full Rig Info

TPM will do nothing for security.  More and more games are moving to Ring 0 (rookits) forms of anti-cheat...so I don't think TPM stops rootkits.  Ring 0 is a higher privilege level than device drivers.  Nothing that a general user runs should ever have that level of access.

It only seems like yesterday when people were up in arms about Sony music CD's installing a rootkit as a form of DRM and Gator spyware packaged with just about any shareware package...now everyone wilfully uses an OS and installs games that do the exact same thing.

• Thanks 1

I think the real issue is that lower level security is increasingly important. As unfortunate as that may be I don't think there is any getting around that. This trend will continue for as long as computer security is an issue. 

Is these any downside to using TMP other than older hardware not having it? 

Edited by UltraMega

Owned

CPU: 5800x
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS TUF Gaming B550-Plus
RAM: XMP 3600mhz CL16
GPU: 7900XT
SOUNDCARD: Sound Blaster Z 5.1 home theater
MONITOR: 4K 65 inch TV
Full Rig Info

2 hours ago, UltraMega said:

I think the real issue is that lower level security is increasingly important. As unfortunate as that may be I don't think there is any getting around that. This trend will continue for as long as computer security is an issue. 

Is these any downside to using TMP other than older hardware not having it? 

So far as I know, TPM is simply a security handshake upon boot. There is nothing to inherently run or be processed. So there will not be a performance hit. So realistically, no downside other than if you have no TPM lol.

£3000

Owned

Full Rig Info

Owned

Full Rig Info

£3000

Owned

Full Rig Info

Shortly after October 14, 2025 this meme will start hitting the internet again. When it does multitudes will be saying "I have to get 1 of those for MY computer" their friends will ask if they mean the penguin and the guys will respond "There was a penguin in that meme?"🤣

don't be windows.png