Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, register to take part in our community, don't worry this is a simple FREE process that requires minimal information for you to signup.

Registered users can: 

• Start new topics and reply to others.
  • Show off your PC using our Rig Creator feature.
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get updates.
  • Get your own profile page to customize.
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.
  • Upgrade to Premium to unlock additional sites features.
IGNORED

Hello!

Member at OCN, but a buddy (GanjaSMK) talked me into coming over here.   So thought I'd check it out.  Have been building custom pc's since my first case mod (tandy3200).  Cut and added a lexite window, cold cathode lighting and I custom built a liquid cooling system out of a block of machined brass and a motorcycle radiator.  So this isn't my first go around lol  Lately I've been building some custom headset stands for random things to do.  I'm a mechanical engineer/master fabricator by trade and have been working in the prototype power train (automotive) for 20+ years.  So I like to keep busy.  Gaming is definitely part of that lol  

• Thanks 5

Owned

CPU: I9-9900K
MOTHERBOARD: Asus Z390-E
RAM: 64Gb Trident DDR4 3200
GPU: GB 1070GTX Gaming
SOUNDCARD: Soundblaster G6 / Phillips SHP9600
SSD/NVME: WD Black NVMe 1Tb
SSD/NVME 2: Samsung 1Tb
SSD/NVME 3: Hitachi NVMe 500Gb
Full Rig Info

LOL Thanks, honestly since getting back into building again I didn't even know this existed until GanjaSMK told me about it.  Pretty much spent my time hanging out at OCN reading through articles that caught my eye, or looking at new tech.  So figured it couldn't hurt to check everything out here and see what's new, etc. 

• Thanks 1

Owned

Full Rig Info

Hey, quick question...  What does the "tip me" button actually do? 

Owned

Full Rig Info

6 minutes ago, Soulpatch said:

Hey, quick question...  What does the "tip me" button actually do? 

It was designed so that you could literally send money to people who have helped you via the forums if you so felt inclined. The feature is a bit before it's time, but will gain traction as the site grows. 

Ex: You get a build, a forum member dedicates time helping you pick parts, then helps you achieve OC's, etc... You may feel inclined to monetarily thank them for services rendered. 

You can create your button too if you link your paypal to this site. I forget where, but it can be found in the user CP. 

Edited by Avacado
  • Thanks 1

Ahhhh, that's actually a pretty good idea.  I've helped quite a few people pick components, draw/cad designs for cases, reservoirs, etc.  Would be kind of cool to get a little cash for the effort now and again lol  I've been an engineer/fabricator for so long I don't really think about services when helping people.  Just offer the help freely, so ya a tip now and again is a pretty cool way to show your appreciation. 

btw, if you are drilling out rivets, use a center drill.  they're carbide and will cut through the center shaft and the outer counter sink will shave the head off.  Once that's done, they are easy to remove and you don't end up creating larger holes.  Saw your post on the water cooler board.  I replied to the original post (knowing the project was already done), but figured anybody who reads it later will pickup on the unibit/deburring tool as a better way to go than hole saws.  I used to design/fabricate and test prototype components/engines for about 1500 different automotive companies, from harley davidson to caterpillar.  So every now and again it's nice to share something I learned along the way knowing it'll make somebody elses life easier lol 

• Thanks 1

Owned

Full Rig Info

3 minutes ago, Soulpatch said:

Ahhhh, that's actually a pretty good idea.  I've helped quite a few people pick components, draw/cad designs for cases, reservoirs, etc.  Would be kind of cool to get a little cash for the effort now and again lol  I've been an engineer/fabricator for so long I don't really think about services when helping people.  Just offer the help freely, so ya a tip now and again is a pretty cool way to show your appreciation. 

btw, if you are drilling out rivets, use a center drill.  they're carbide and will cut through the center shaft and the outer counter sink will shave the head off.  Once that's done, they are easy to remove and you don't end up creating larger holes.  Saw your post on the water cooler board.  I replied to the original post (knowing the project was already done), but figured anybody who reads it later will pickup on the unibit/deburring tool as a better way to go than hole saws.  I used to design/fabricate and test prototype components/engines for about 1500 different automotive companies, from harley davidson to caterpillar.  So every now and again it's nice to share something I learned along the way knowing it'll make somebody elses life easier lol 

Yea, I saw that, I don't plan on doing it ever again though. I am not much of a machinist. 

• Thanks 1

I forget sometimes how easy it is for me to do things because I've already got the experience as well as the tools.  But it definitely helps to know the right shortcuts, because ya, not many people have the experience/tooling.  Currently looking at CNC routers because I've designed half a dozen distribution plates I'd eventually like to machine.  One of them is a waterfall design with a baffle plate (keeps air bubbles from circulating) and has external fill/drain ports for easy maintenance.  But ya, not everybody is used to that.  When I started custom building all of this stuff was unheard of.  So I was building boxes (you know...the old cream colored ones that weighed a ton LOL) for people around my area.  Custom sandblasting designs on glass, vinyl cut logos, stickers, etc.  Even lighting was all cathode or every once in awhile we'd monkey with neon for external displays.  Machining our own copper cooling blocks, etc.  But that was back a long time ago when I first got out of the military and was engineering school at night/fabrication during the day.  So had an entire shop to weld/machine or whatever I wanted.  You should have seen the custom paintball markers I used to crank out for guys on the team lol   So ya, I tend to take much of it for granted, especially since not many people really do any hardcore scratch builds anymore.  Most everything you can buy now.

Owned

Full Rig Info

14 minutes ago, Soulpatch said:

I forget sometimes how easy it is for me to do things because I've already got the experience as well as the tools.  But it definitely helps to know the right shortcuts, because ya, not many people have the experience/tooling.  Currently looking at CNC routers because I've designed half a dozen distribution plates I'd eventually like to machine.  One of them is a waterfall design with a baffle plate (keeps air bubbles from circulating) and has external fill/drain ports for easy maintenance.  But ya, not everybody is used to that.  When I started custom building all of this stuff was unheard of.  So I was building boxes (you know...the old cream colored ones that weighed a ton LOL) for people around my area.  Custom sandblasting designs on glass, vinyl cut logos, stickers, etc.  Even lighting was all cathode or every once in awhile we'd monkey with neon for external displays.  Machining our own copper cooling blocks, etc.  But that was back a long time ago when I first got out of the military and was engineering school at night/fabrication during the day.  So had an entire shop to weld/machine or whatever I wanted.  You should have seen the custom paintball markers I used to crank out for guys on the team lol   So ya, I tend to take much of it for granted, especially since not many people really do any hardcore scratch builds anymore.  Most everything you can buy now.

Yes, that is true. What branch of the service did you serve? What years?

Folding@Home Staff
46 minutes ago, Avacado said:

It was designed so that you could literally send money to people who have helped you via the forums if you so felt inclined. The feature is a bit before it's time, but will gain traction as the site grows. 

Ex: You get a build, a forum member dedicates time helping you pick parts, then helps you achieve OC's, etc... You may feel inclined to monetarily thank them for services rendered. 

You can create your button too if you link your paypal to this site. I forget where, but it can be found in the user CP. 

Or, just randomly send them 2 cents.

Owned

CPU: 5600x
GPU: EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
GPU 2: EVGA RTX 3080ti FTW3 Ultra
GPU 3: EVGA RTX 3080ti XC3 Hybrid
GPU 4: EVGA RTX 3070ti FTW3 Ultra
GPU 5: MSI RTX 3070 Gaming X Trio
GPU 6: Asus RTX 2080ti ROG STRIX
GPU 7: EVGA RTX 3080ti FTW3 Ultra
Full Rig Info

On 14/10/2021 at 18:53, Soulpatch said:

Member at OCN, but a buddy (GanjaSMK) talked me into coming over here.   So thought I'd check it out.  Have been building custom pc's since my first case mod (tandy3200).  Cut and added a lexite window, cold cathode lighting and I custom built a liquid cooling system out of a block of machined brass and a motorcycle radiator.  So this isn't my first go around lol  Lately I've been building some custom headset stands for random things to do.  I'm a mechanical engineer/master fabricator by trade and have been working in the prototype power train (automotive) for 20+ years.  So I like to keep busy.  Gaming is definitely part of that lol  

Welcome to the forums! 😄 

• Thanks 1

On 14/10/2021 at 17:53, Soulpatch said:

Welcome ! Glad to see @GanjaSMK is spreading the word.  For some of the more important site features, check out our Site Guide & Features thread.

I hope you enjoy your time here at EHW 🙂

Rhyming Leonardo Dicaprio GIF

£3000

Owned

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D
MOTHERBOARD: MSI Meg Ace X670E
RAM: Corsair Dominator Titanium 64GB (6000MT/s)
GPU: EVGA 3090 FTW Ultra Gaming
SSD/NVME: Corsair MP700 Pro SE Gen 5 4TB
PSU: EVGA Supernova T2 1600Watt
CASE: be quiet Dark Base Pro 900 Rev 2
FANS: Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC x 6
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: Intel Core i5 8500
RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) Kingston 2666Mhz
SSD/NVME: 256GB Samsung NVMe
NETWORK: HP 561T 10Gbe (Intel X540 T2)
MOTHERBOARD: Proprietry
GPU: Intel UHD Graphics 630
PSU: 90Watt
CASE: HP EliteDesk 800 G4 SFF
Full Rig Info

£3000

Owned

CPU: 2 x Xeon|E5-2696-V4 (44C/88T)
RAM: 128GB|16 x 8GB - DDR4 2400MHz (2Rx8)
MOTHERBOARD: HP Z840|Intel C612 Chipset
GPU: Nvidia Quadro P2200
HDD: 4x 16TB Toshiba MG08ACA16TE Enterprise
SSD/NVME: Intel 512GB 670p NVMe (Main OS)
SSD/NVME 2: 2x WD RED 1TB NVMe (VM's)
SSD/NVME 3: 2x Seagate FireCuda 1TB SSD's (Apps)
Full Rig Info

Thanks, so far I'm finding this forum much more in relation to what I'm looking for!  I love to build, especially custom one-off's and there seems to be many on here to like to do similar. 

Owned

Full Rig Info

5 hours ago, GanjaSMK said:

EHW FTW!  @Soulpatch super talented you are, indeed.  I'm still pushing for side gig. 🙂  

I'll help where I can!

LOL thanks, definitely more like minded around here.  Found some good reading on hardware/builds and even overclocking.  Oddly enough, even a few people who are willing to learn from 20+ years of custom building pc's lol  Actually had a kid on the other forum ask me what cold cathode was and when I tried to explain it was pre-led lighting I can only imagine by the response, his look was definitely "you're ancient!" LOL 

• Thanks 1

Owned

Full Rig Info

On 14/10/2021 at 14:41, Avacado said:

Yes, that is true. What branch of the service did you serve? What years?

Was in the navy, followed in my grandfathers foot steps.  He was a navy frogman/EOD and was a navy seal instructor after they were created, until he retired.  Was in from 1990-1992, unfortunately only a few years before my egg got scrambled.  Had all the paperwork ready for OCS (old man of the boat was prior enlisted and liked me).  So after talking to him one duty night and explained what my intentions were (going to do life and work on my degree to become an officer), he dropped the paperwork in.  Couple weeks later and 'pop goes the weasel'.  Worst of it was, it didn't even happen in combat.  Was back on the boat and it was an idiot mistake.  Somebody didn't secure a huge piece of steel, ship listed and it swung just as I was walking by. 

Owned

Full Rig Info

35 minutes ago, Soulpatch said:

Was in the navy, followed in my grandfathers foot steps.  He was a navy frogman/EOD and was a navy seal instructor after they were created, until he retired.  Was in from 1990-1992, unfortunately only a few years before my egg got scrambled.  Had all the paperwork ready for OCS (old man of the boat was prior enlisted and liked me).  So after talking to him one duty night and explained what my intentions were (going to do life and work on my degree to become an officer), he dropped the paperwork in.  Couple weeks later and 'pop goes the weasel'.  Worst of it was, it didn't even happen in combat.  Was back on the boat and it was an idiot mistake.  Somebody didn't secure a huge piece of steel, ship listed and it swung just as I was walking by. 

Damn, thats rough. I joined up in 03', Army, after 9/11. Medic, then Army nurse corps. The service always has a way of taking something from you, for me it was my back. 3 surgeries and a med board in 2012. 

• Thanks 1

Yikes @Avacado & @Soulpatch to the both of ya.  It goes without saying, your service is owed gratitude, so thank you both.

Hope that the VA is able to provide for both of yous. 

(EDIT)

Soulpatch lmao....  "ancient"     Talking about cold cathode and such, I wish neon was more prevalent still. God I love neon.

Edited by GanjaSMK
kinda funny ;p
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Avacado said:

Damn, thats rough. I joined up in 03', Army, after 9/11. Medic, then Army nurse corps. The service always has a way of taking something from you, for me it was my back. 3 surgeries and a med board in 2012. 

Thanks for the service, glad you missed out on desert storm.  But guessing you did afghanistan?  My brother did 2 tours there with a flight squadron (Ravens).  Told him to only walk on the walkways around the base...damn russians mined the hell out of that country with ap's.  You'd hear boom's in the middle of the night when some small animal hit one.  Ya, the back is damn common...  Too many guys suffered from humping all that gear, etc.  A buddy of mine has had a couple back surgeries and a steel rod, my cousin was a paratrooper and his shoulders are completely blown from all of the jumps.  Has had 4 or 5 surgeries now and so far one artificial.  My hands were pretty messed up and head (lol), but what's funny is I almost died in basic before it I made it out to the fleet.  Because of another stupid dumbass who couldn't follow directions.  Cleaning the head, my "shipmate" decided to mix the chemicals backwards and then left the room.  I walked into a cloud that shut down my lungs.  Fortunately one of my bunkmates pulled me out and got me to the ER.  Ironically that same bunkmate was heading to medic school.  So he apparently was already a trained paramedic and knew what to do.  Bastard saved my life and I still keep in touch with him to this day.  Unfortunately there are too many military coming back with major issues in some form or another.  I go in for an MRI on my lungs because there are large nodules that relate to the damage from basic.  Scar tissue has been building up for years and now I can barely run a mile without feeling like dropping dead.  Last surgery my ox was registering at 80% so they are worried it's getting worse.  

Owned

Full Rig Info

24 minutes ago, GanjaSMK said:

Yikes @Avacado & @Soulpatch to the both of ya.  It goes without saying, your service is owed gratitude, so thank you both.

Hope that the VA is able to provide for both of yous. 

(EDIT)

Soulpatch lmao....  "ancient"     Talking about cold cathode and such, I wish neon was more prevalent still. God I love neon.

Not likely, after my last surgery almost lost my hand due to a VA surgeon.  He didn't cut me in the right place, so when they placed the clamps he did huge amounts of arterial and nerve/tendon damage.  The ulnar artery literally collapsed (crushed) and my hand was only being fed by capillaries.  After it started turning brown and I couldn't feel/move my fingers due to the other damage, finally went to a civilian surgeon.  One MRI the NEXT DAY and he had me on the table 2 days later.  Fortunately I kept my hand, but have 75% use now.  That's when I found out the VA can hire doctors who have lost their licenses due to malpractice or whatever.  I read about a surgeon who was doing spinal surgeries on guys getting out and 6 surgeries in, there was 1 death, 3 paralyzed and the other 2 had to undergo surgery through a civilian to correct the bone/muscle damage.  Apparently this guy lost his practice due to killing/maiming a few patients and the VA offered him a position.  It's funny, because in michigan I had a fantastic VA.  Most of the doctors/surgeons also taught at the two medical schools (UofM and Mich State).  Moved to montgomery alabama and every civilian doctor I've told this story too immediately apologizes to me.  My surgeon apparently had suffered a heart attack 2 weeks prior and should NEVER had been in the operating room, let alone had his license.  I wasn't the first guy he did that to.  What's sad is he didn't even perform the surgery, the civilian surgeon told me it looked like he cut me open, hit me with a blender and then stitched me back up. 

Owned

Full Rig Info

8 hours ago, Soulpatch said:

Thanks for the service, glad you missed out on desert storm.  But guessing you did afghanistan?  My brother did 2 tours there with a flight squadron (Ravens).  Told him to only walk on the walkways around the base...damn russians mined the hell out of that country with ap's.  You'd hear boom's in the middle of the night when some small animal hit one.  Ya, the back is damn common...  Too many guys suffered from humping all that gear, etc.  A buddy of mine has had a couple back surgeries and a steel rod, my cousin was a paratrooper and his shoulders are completely blown from all of the jumps.  Has had 4 or 5 surgeries now and so far one artificial.  My hands were pretty messed up and head (lol), but what's funny is I almost died in basic before it I made it out to the fleet.  Because of another stupid dumbass who couldn't follow directions.  Cleaning the head, my "shipmate" decided to mix the chemicals backwards and then left the room.  I walked into a cloud that shut down my lungs.  Fortunately one of my bunkmates pulled me out and got me to the ER.  Ironically that same bunkmate was heading to medic school.  So he apparently was already a trained paramedic and knew what to do.  Bastard saved my life and I still keep in touch with him to this day.  Unfortunately there are too many military coming back with major issues in some form or another.  I go in for an MRI on my lungs because there are large nodules that relate to the damage from basic.  Scar tissue has been building up for years and now I can barely run a mile without feeling like dropping dead.  Last surgery my ox was registering at 80% so they are worried it's getting worse.  

If you ever find yourself near the Asheville VA, hit me up. Still serving. 

41 minutes ago, Avacado said:

If you ever find yourself near the Asheville VA, hit me up. Still serving. 

Don't know if I'll ever make it over there, but you never know.  Have friends still stationed on the coast that way.  Glad you are still able to still serve.  I know a couple guys who were 14-18 years in and ended up medical discharged.  Being able to at least get your full twenty makes a big difference in pay/benefits afterward.  My buddy here was in the marines and he got his full twenty, but just barely made it.  Brother has 23 years in now and is a sr. chief going on masterchief (I talked him into the full 30 THEN retire).  Of course I've also heard the stories that it's no longer the military we knew.  Boots getting yellow cards to pull out when they feel "stressed", etc.  Can only imagine just how PC it's really gotten.  My buddy here that did the full twenty, both his son's went in and only did a hitch because they got tired of just how bad it really is now.  Hopefully it's not like that where you are. 

Owned

Full Rig Info