Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, register to take part in our community, don't worry this is a simple FREE process that requires minimal information for you to signup.

Registered users can: 

• Start new topics and reply to others.
  • Show off your PC using our Rig Creator feature.
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get updates.
  • Get your own profile page to customize.
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.
  • Upgrade to Premium to unlock additional sites features.
IGNORED

Latest GPU Market Sales Indicate that NVIDIA Indeed Halted RTX 30 Series Production

Earlier this month, it was reported that NVIDIA would be halting (or reducing) the production of its Ampere graphics cards to prevent a sudden price recession in the market. Well, fifteen days have passed since that post was published and it looks like MLID’s sources were on point. NVIDIA’s RTX 30 series cards, most notably the higher-end RTX 3080 and 3090 have pretty much disappeared from most online retailers.

Source

• Thanks 1

£3000

Owned

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D
MOTHERBOARD: MSI Meg Ace X670E
RAM: Corsair Dominator Titanium 64GB (6000MT/s)
GPU: EVGA 3090 FTW Ultra Gaming
SSD/NVME: Corsair MP700 Pro Gen 5 2TB
PSU: EVGA Supernova T2 1600Watt
CASE: be quiet Dark Base Pro 900 Rev 2
FANS: Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC x 6
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: Intel Core i5 8500
RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) Kingston 2666Mhz
SSD/NVME: 256GB Samsung NVMe
NETWORK: HP 561T 10Gbe (Intel X540 T2)
MOTHERBOARD: Proprietry
GPU: Intel UHD Graphics 630
PSU: 90Watt
CASE: HP EliteDesk 800 G4 SFF
Full Rig Info

£3000

Owned

CPU: 2 x Xeon|E5-2696-V4 (44C/88T)
RAM: 128GB|16 x 8GB - DDR4 2400MHz (2Rx8)
MOTHERBOARD: HP Z840|Intel C612 Chipset
GPU: Nvidia Quadro P2200
HDD: 4x 16TB Toshiba MG08ACA16TE Enterprise
SSD/NVME: Intel 512GB 670p NVMe (Main OS)
SSD/NVME 2: Samsung 1TB 980 NVMe (VM's)
SSD/NVME 3: 2x Seagate FireCuda 1TB SSD's (Apps)
Full Rig Info

Doesn't Nvidia sell them at MSRP? How would this help Nvidia? 

After reading through the article and the article that is the source for it, it definitely sounds like something Nvidia would do but it doesn't make sense to me that Nvidia would need to artificially keep prices high and supply low now when that's already the case. 

The GPU price crash that happened before that the articles keep saying Nvidia is worried about happened because of a big drop in Bitcoin value at the time. I don't think anyone is expecting that to happen again now.

While this kind of behavior seems like the kind of thing Nvidia wouldn't think twice about, this seems pretty speculative and I'm skeptical that Nvidia really is price fixing when the price is already so high while they have an EU anti trust investigation looking to block their purchase of ARM. I'd think Nvidia would be smart enough to be on it's best behavior. 

I can't find any other news sources for this and following the sources in the articles eventually leads to a YouTube channel. 

Edited by UltraMega

Owned

CPU: 5800x
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS TUF Gaming B550-Plus
RAM: XMP 3600mhz CL16
GPU: 7900XT
SOUNDCARD: Sound Blaster Z 5.1 home theater
MONITOR: 4K 65 inch TV
Full Rig Info

27 minutes ago, UltraMega said:

Because they only have the cards on 1 site where they are ALWAYS sold out, so the gpu's that would be going to companies like ASUS,MSI,EVGA,Gigabyte,just to name a few for WHO knows what price won't even be available now.(I'm sure they don't sell to the 3rd party vendors at cost....) This way when the NEW cards come out,there will still be a demand because people weren't able to fill their backlog from last year,thus allowing Nvidia to set the MSRP even higher on the new cards like AMD did. 

WWW.PCMAG.COM

Founders Edition models are instead being sold via Best Buy in the US now, with no designated seller in Europe.

Edited by schuck6566
added link to story about nvidia nolonger selling cards from their site but from bestbuy

50 minutes ago, schuck6566 said:

Because they only have the cards on 1 site where they are ALWAYS sold out, so the gpu's that would be going to companies like ASUS,MSI,EVGA,Gigabyte,just to name a few for WHO knows what price won't even be available now.(I'm sure they don't sell to the 3rd party vendors at cost....) This way when the NEW cards come out,there will still be a demand because people weren't able to fill their backlog from last year,thus allowing Nvidia to set the MSRP even higher on the new cards like AMD did.

I don't think Nvidia needs an excuse to sell their next cards for more given how things are going. If they want to increase the price, they can just do that. With chip shortage and manufacturing setbacks, a lot of other companies have increased their prices. 

If it's true that a super refresh is right around the corner, I'd guess they are just gearing up to switch production over to that. 

If their worried about people buying the 3000 cards used from miners later on... Idk how they could really hope to prevent that. No matter what their next card are, it seems safe to assume they will be faster and better for mining therefore mines will upgrade to them and sell their older GPUs. If the newer cards are even more expensive, that will just make people want to buy older cards even more. 

Assuming it's true that Nvidia halted production of the high end GPUs, the reasons this article comes up with are 100% speculative, though definitely believable for Nvidia. 

Edit: the article you added is just about Nvidia's website being ineffective at slowing down bots so they stopped selling the more valuable cards on their site since it seems all the card Nvidia.com sold went straight to scalpers.

Edited by UltraMega

Owned

Full Rig Info

48 minutes ago, Diffident said:

So the proof they are claiming is that cards are sold out.  Hasn't that been the case since day one?  Best Buy just had a big drop 2 days ago.

Not quite, they are claiming a few "inside sources" have confirmed that Nvidia stopped manufacturing the 3080 and 3090, but the article also points out that Nvidia is probably launching a "super" refresh soon so why they would speculate that Nvidia is trying to rig the market to prevent the sale of used GPU instead of just switching over to manufacturing the refresh instead is a mystery to me. 

It seems contradictory that Nvidia would try to prevent the sale of used GPUs by creating a situation that would make their next GPUs even more expensive, thus just making used GPUs a more viable option. 

IMO the real news here is that Nvidia is probably doing a refresh soon. 

Edited by UltraMega

Owned

Full Rig Info

On 31/10/2021 at 10:04, UltraMega said:

That's too narrow a thought. Take Founder's Editions cards out of the equation as "direct sales". You telling me Nvidia is not raking in profits from AIB cards too? Also let's be honest, the going street prices for hard to get cards enabled Nvidia to raise their MSRP of the 3080 Ti at launch from the rumored $999 to $1199. All in all any of this works out in their favor.

Edited by Sir Beregond
  • Thanks 1

Showcase

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
GPU: Nvidia RTX 3080 Ti Founders Edition
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB DDR4-3600 (@ 3733 14-8-14-14-21-35 1T GDM)
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
SSD/NVME: x2 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB
SSD/NVME 2: Crucial MX500 1TB
PSU: Corsair RM1000x
MONITOR: LG 48" C1
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K, Core i9-10900K, Core i3-13100, Core i9-13900KS
GPU: various
RAM: Corsair 32GB DDR3-2400 | Oloy Blade 16GB DDR4-3600 | Crucial 16GB DDR5-5600
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Deluxe | EVGA Z490 Dark | EVGA Z790 Dark Kingpin
SSD/NVME: Samsung 870 Evo 1TB | Inland 1TB Gen 4
PSU: BeQuiet Straight Power 12 1500W
CASE: Cooler Master MasterFrame 700 - bench mode
OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 10 LTSC
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: M1 Pro
RAM: 32GB
SSD/NVME: 1TB
OPERATING SYSTEM: MacOS Ventura
CASE: Space Grey