Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, register to take part in our community, don't worry this is a simple FREE process that requires minimal information for you to signup.

Registered users can: 

• Start new topics and reply to others.
  • Show off your PC using our Rig Creator feature.
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get updates.
  • Get your own profile page to customize.
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.
  • Upgrade to Premium to unlock additional sites features.
IGNORED

Boy do I feel dumb...I hope it's over (6900xt killed!?, maybe not)

Minotaurtoo

This is a bit long and convoluted, but I'll try to keep it concise

You may have seen my post in the 1 million post thread showing my new light bar with "MINOTAUR" carved in it with a laser.  I started out with white LED's inside and swapped out to blues a couple days ago. 

While swapping out the LED's the PC cut on to do it's DVR job... instead of cutting it off and sacrificing whatever show it was recording or waiting till later I thought "it's just a molex connector, I'll plug the lights in while it's running".   I fed the wires into the case, still through the side panel as I haven't had time to create the permanent wiring harness yet.... as I pulled the molex plug out to reach my wire, all monitors went black just after I made contact to the lights plug...

I thought "maybe there was a voltage ripple caused by plugging them in that triggered some protection in the GPU".... finished plugging in the wires and put the side panel back on... powered off, and restart... all screens came back... all's well... not

Yesterday I got up and began my usual morning routine... shortly after... monitors cut off... hmmm... restarted and all came back... now I'm worried... no time to play had to go to work.  After work, woke PC up from sleep... all seemed fine... watched some video and poof all screens off... sound from video still playing... UH OH... now I'm in pure panic mode... almost as bad as when I thought I blew my engine up in my truck... seriously, heart pounding OH 💩 OH 💩 OH 💩 OH 💩 full panic...

Proceeded to do what any person my position would do... Google... found some possible solutions... tried them all at once... full nuclear attack problem solution... now keep in mind I was panicked and wasn't thinking... normally I would never do that...

I DDU'd, I reinstalled drivers, I disabled hardware acceleration in my web browser and even stopped my wallpaper engine...  Rebooted, started to play a game... all screens off... OK, now I'm thinking, maybe my lights are faulty, I unplug the lights and hear a windows disconnect sound, yes I was dumb and panicked enough to do this BEFORE shutting off the PC again... SMH... but that did hint to me that there was in fact a wire issue here.... but also made me think I may have killed my GPU... I shutdown, full power off and....

Powered up the PC to a wonderful diagnostic alarm on the motherboard with no VGA indicated.  OH 💩 OH 💩 OH 💩 OH 💩 OH 💩 OH 💩

Now a bit of sanity has came back to me... I thought, well at least I still have my old 5700xt while I get this sorted... so my mind now clearing a bit, I think, ok if it is wiring, maybe there's a lose connection... I push on the 2 8pin connections on the GPU.. didn't really feel anything, but thought what the heck... tried for a reboot...

It worked, windows was now concerned about my PC's health and was offering their repair solution screen, I just went for full boot... I gamed, I played around in windows, no issues.... OK then... Shut down and powered off, pulled all wires out, blew them out with an air duster and re-seated the plugs...

I now have ran 2 complete stress tests on it and as of typing this all seems well...  I sure hope so.... guess what else I learned... my PC's side panel now drags across my GPU's 8 pin wires as it opens and closes... guess this one is wider than my old 5700xt... I'd be lying if I said I'm not still scared though.

Thanks for reading, I hope this is over, it seems to be... here's a link to my stress test pass

Clicky

Edited by Minotaurtoo
  • Thanks 7
  • Respect 1

5 hours ago, Minotaurtoo said:

This is a bit long and convoluted, but I'll try to keep it concise

You may have seen my post in the 1 million post thread showing my new light bar with "MINOTAUR" carved in it with a laser.  I started out with white LED's inside and swapped out to blues a couple days ago. 

While swapping out the LED's the PC cut on to do it's DVR job... instead of cutting it off and sacrificing whatever show it was recording or waiting till later I thought "it's just a molex connector, I'll plug the lights in while it's running".   I fed the wires into the case, still through the side panel as I haven't had time to create the permanent wiring harness yet.... as I pulled the molex plug out to reach my wire, all monitors went black just after I made contact to the lights plug...

I thought "maybe there was a voltage ripple caused by plugging them in that triggered some protection in the GPU".... finished plugging in the wires and put the side panel back on... powered off, and restart... all screens came back... all's well... not

Yesterday I got up and began my usual morning routine... shortly after... monitors cut off... hmmm... restarted and all came back... now I'm worried... no time to play had to go to work.  After work, woke PC up from sleep... all seemed fine... watched some video and poof all screens off... sound from video still playing... UH OH... now I'm in pure panic mode... almost as bad as when I thought I blew my engine up in my truck... seriously, heart pounding OH 💩 OH 💩 OH 💩 OH 💩 full panic...

Proceeded to do what any person my position would do... Google... found some possible solutions... tried them all at once... full nuclear attack problem solution... now keep in mind I was panicked and wasn't thinking... normally I would never do that...

I DDU'd, I reinstalled drivers, I disabled hardware acceleration in my web browser and even stopped my wallpaper engine...  Rebooted, started to play a game... all screens off... OK, now I'm thinking, maybe my lights are faulty, I unplug the lights and hear a windows disconnect sound, yes I was dumb and panicked enough to do this BEFORE shutting off the PC again... SMH... but that did hint to me that there was in fact a wire issue here.... but also made me think I may have killed my GPU... I shutdown, full power off and....

Powered up the PC to a wonderful diagnostic alarm on the motherboard with no VGA indicated.  OH 💩 OH 💩 OH 💩 OH 💩 OH 💩 OH 💩

Now a bit of sanity has came back to me... I thought, well at least I still have my old 5700xt while I get this sorted... so my mind now clearing a bit, I think, ok if it is wiring, maybe there's a lose connection... I push on the 2 8pin connections on the GPU.. didn't really feel anything, but thought what the heck... tried for a reboot...

It worked, windows was now concerned about my PC's health and was offering their repair solution screen, I just went for full boot... I gamed, I played around in windows, no issues.... OK then... Shut down and powered off, pulled all wires out, blew them out with an air duster and re-seated the plugs...

I now have ran 2 complete stress tests on it and as of typing this all seems well...  I sure hope so.... guess what else I learned... my PC's side panel now drags across my GPU's 8 pin wires as it opens and closes... guess this one is wider than my old 5700xt... I'd be lying if I said I'm not still scared though.

Thanks for reading, I hope this is over, it seems to be... here's a link to my stress test pass

Clicky

I can relate to the oh 💩 moments. I had one last night streaming HWbot with bastiaan when I ran 1.4v through the GTX 770 Classy and it had artifacts, went black and made the windows unplug sound. 

I was laughing pretty hard while reading your thread. It's exactly how we think in the moment. 

Edited by Avacado
  • Thanks 1

Premium Platinum - Lifetime

I assume you had a pretty good case of the "shakes" while all this was happening?  I think my heart rate was elevated just from reading it.

• Thanks 2

TDM

Owned

CPU: 5950x
MOTHERBOARD: Dark Hero
GPU: Aorus 6900XT Extreme WF
RAM: G. Skill Ripjaws V 64GB 3600 14-14-14-34
WC CPU BLOCK: Watercool Heatkiller IV
WC PUMP: XTOP Revo / FLT 120 + 3 D5's
SSD/NVME: Samsung 980 Pro
CASE: Gutted Enthoo Pro 2
Full Rig Info

I think it's fair to say we've all had these kind of moments.

• Thanks 1

Showcase

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
GPU: Nvidia RTX 3080 Ti Founders Edition
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB DDR4-3600 (@ 3733 14-8-14-14-21-35 1T GDM)
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
SSD/NVME: x2 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB
SSD/NVME 2: Crucial MX500 1TB
PSU: Corsair RM1000x
MONITOR: LG 48" C1
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K, Core i9-10900K, Core i3-13100, Core i9-13900KS
GPU: various
RAM: Corsair 32GB DDR3-2400 | Oloy Blade 16GB DDR4-3600 | Crucial 16GB DDR5-5600
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Deluxe | EVGA Z490 Dark | EVGA Z790 Dark Kingpin
SSD/NVME: Samsung 870 Evo 1TB | Inland 1TB Gen 4
PSU: BeQuiet Straight Power 12 1500W
CASE: Cooler Master MasterFrame 700 - bench mode
OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 10 LTSC
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: M1 Pro
RAM: 32GB
SSD/NVME: 1TB
OPERATING SYSTEM: MacOS Ventura
CASE: Space Grey
Full Rig Info

1 hour ago, ArchStanton said:

I assume you had a pretty good case of the "shakes" while all this was happening?  I think my heart rate was elevated just from reading it.

Yes I did and my stomach was in turmoil, I'm still hoping it's all good now, so far all seems well

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Avacado said:

I can relate to the oh 💩 moments. I had one last night streaming HWbot with bastiaan when I ran 1.4v through the GTX 770 Classy and it had artifacts, went black and made the windows unplug sound. 

I was laughing pretty hard while reading your thread. It's exactly how we think in the moment. 

I'm glad you got a good laugh out of it, once I'm sure it's over and all's well I'll have a good laugh about it too.  For some reason this even shook my confidence so hard I'm still not sure it's fixed, but so far so good since re-seating the power cables... Holy crap though, I over reacted so bad... I couldn't hardly sleep at all that night even after I was pretty sure I found the problem... I assume your GTX 770 is still ok, as I recall those were pretty tough.  Anyway, sorry for the delay, I wanted to wait till I got home and could type on my PC, that phone I have is crap and hard to work with... need to trade up badly.

50 minutes ago, Minotaurtoo said:

I'm glad you got a good laugh out of it, once I'm sure it's over and all's well I'll have a good laugh about it too.  For some reason this even shook my confidence so hard I'm still not sure it's fixed, but so far so good since re-seating the power cables... Holy crap though, I over reacted so bad... I couldn't hardly sleep at all that night even after I was pretty sure I found the problem... I assume your GTX 770 is still ok, as I recall those were pretty tough.  Anyway, sorry for the delay, I wanted to wait till I got home and could type on my PC, that phone I have is crap and hard to work with... need to trade up badly.

Well, it is most certainly not funny if you indeed killed your card. Sorry, was not trying to imply that. It's just the way you wrote it.

1 minute ago, Avacado said:

Well, it is most certainly not funny if you indeed killed your card. Sorry, was not trying to imply that. It's just the way you wrote it.

oh, no, I didn't think you were laughing at me killing the card... I know you better than that, and I'm genuinely glad you got a laugh out of the story.  I was attempting to use humor to improve my mood about the situation... and I'm sure I'll  have a good laugh when it proves out that the cards ok... it seems to be good, no black screens as of yet and it's been nearly 24 hrs now... even played Forza 5 at 4k extreme preset earlier with no issues.

• Thanks 1

Social Media Manager
1.4k 805

I killed a mobo once. Did not screw the gpu and moved the power cable that was hitting the fan. Gpu moved in the slot and bam shutdown.

Last week i had an heart attack. Plug everything try to boot nothing happen pressing the power button.

Then i realised i forgot to plug the 24 pin 😆

I bent a pin in my old lga 2011 once too. No idea how i did it i just switched cpu and no boot. Then i unbent 4 pin and it worked like new 😆

Ahh and my last laptop. Instal new ssd on a brand new laptop run f@h on the new install. Come back 9h later laptop dead 😔

Edited by bonami2
  • Respect 1

Owned

MOTHERBOARD: MSI MPG Z790i EDGE
CPU: Intel 13900k + Top Mounted 280mm Aio
RAM: 2x24gb Gskill 6400 cl36-48-48 1.4v
PSU: Cooler Master V850 SFX Gold White Edition
GPU: UHD ULTRA EXTREME BANANA GRAPHIC
MONITOR: [Monitor] LG CX48 OLED [VR] Samsung HMD Odyssey Plus OLED + Meta Quest 2 120hz
CASE: CoolerMaster NR200P White Mini ITX
SSD/NVME: 2TB Intel 660p 1tb sn850 1tb sn770
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: Asus Strix G15 AE 6800m 5900hx 32gb ram 1440p
RAM: MSI GT60 Dominator 870m 4800MQ
GPU: Alienware M11x R2 i7 640um Nvidia 335m 8gb Ram
MONITOR: Lenovo X270 1080p i7 7600u 16gb ram
SSD/NVME: Acer Chromebook 11.6
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: Ryzen 5560u
MOTHERBOARD: Beelink SER5 Mini PC Box
RAM: 2x32gb Sodimm
CASE: Jonsbo N1 Mini ITX
HDD: 8TB + 4TB HDD + 2 x Intel DC S3500 800GB
Full Rig Info

Lol love the "throw every trick google has to offer and hope something sticks" approach to troubleshooting. 

Glad it turned out to be a simple fix and not a dead card!

• Thanks 1

Owned

CPU: 5900X + Optimus block
MOTHERBOARD: MSI X570 Ace
GPU: EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra + Optimus block
RAM: 32GB Oloy Blade 3600CL14
SSD/NVME: 1TB SN750 Black
SSD/NVME 2: 1TB SN750 Black
SSD/NVME 3: 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus
CASE: LD PC-V7
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: 7800X3D
MOTHERBOARD: B650E-I Strix
RAM: G.Skill Flare X5
GPU: Reference 6950 XT
CASE: InWin D-Frame Mini
WC RADIATOR: MO-RA3 with 4x180mm Silverstone fans
FAN CONTROLLER: Aquaero
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: 12600KF
MOTHERBOARD: Z790I Strix
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo
GPU: RTX 2080
CASE: Sliger SM580
WC RESEVOIR: Phanteks R160C
WC RADIATOR: XSPC TX240 Ultrathin
FANS: Phanteks T30
Full Rig Info

On 28/02/2022 at 22:16, Fluxmaven said:

Lol love the "throw every trick google has to offer and hope something sticks" approach to troubleshooting. 

Glad it turned out to be a simple fix and not a dead card!

Thanks 😄

On 25/02/2022 at 00:22, bonami2 said:

I killed a mobo once. Did not screw the gpu and moved the power cable that was hitting the fan. Gpu moved in the slot and bam shutdown.

Last week i had an heart attack. Plug everything try to boot nothing happen pressing the power button.

Then i realised i forgot to plug the 24 pin 😆

I bent a pin in my old lga 2011 once too. No idea how i did it i just switched cpu and no boot. Then i unbent 4 pin and it worked like new 😆

Ahh and my last laptop. Instal new ssd on a brand new laptop run f@h on the new install. Come back 9h later laptop dead 😔

I had this fear that f@h would kill a pc of mine... I had pretty much got over it... now it's back lol...  It does make me feel better to know I'm not the only one who's had a panic attack, but genuinely sorry you lost that mobo... I lost once once to a power hungry FX processor, poor vrm's just couldn't handle it.

• Respect 1