Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, register to take part in our community, don't worry this is a simple FREE process that requires minimal information for you to signup.

Registered users can: 

• Start new topics and reply to others.
  • Show off your PC using our Rig Creator feature.
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get updates.
  • Get your own profile page to customize.
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.
  • Upgrade to Premium to unlock additional sites features.
IGNORED

Silent "Granddad" computer for my FIL

This was built as a gift for my 78 year old FIL with 2 things in mind... budget and be silent.   He is still using an old Phenom system I built for him years ago... not Phenom II, the original Phenom.... when I built it budget wasn't such an issue so we went for the best of the best AMD had to offer ( he's not an Intel fan )  Now I'm finishing up this budget build for him to replace his aged Phenom rig... total price 270 USD, thanks to a few sales and some Amazon points I had.  I tried to make it where he had lots of room to upgrade should it be needed, some things like SSD space and RAM wasn't really what I wanted to do, but it's better than what he has by far.

Case: coolermaster masterbox Q300L

Motherboard: Gigabyte B450M DS3H

CPU: AMD Athlon 3000G

RAM: Gskill Aegis 2400 8GB

PSU: Aresgame AGW600 geeze I hope this is ok, never used one before

SSD: ADATA SU630 240GB

IMG_20220402_073946678.jpg

IMG_20220402_074010888_HDR.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Respect 1

Looks like a sweet little machine. I love budget builds. Just something about squeezing every penny

• Thanks 1

Owned

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X @ 4.65GHz (1T)/ 4.4GHZ (16T)
MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte Aorus X570 Pro-Wifi
RAM: Avexir Core 2 3600MHz 18-20-20-38 1T C-Die
GPU: MSI Vega 64 Wave. (Vega 64 LC) 1770/1150
PSU: CoolerMaster V1300 Platinum
SSD/NVME: Muskin Pilot-E 1TB PCI-E 3.0
SSD/NVME 2: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB
SSD/NVME 3: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB
Full Rig Info

I really like cases like that, ones that are small and cheap but still do a great job.

• Thanks 1

Owned

CPU: 5800x
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS TUF Gaming B550-Plus
RAM: XMP 3600mhz CL16
GPU: 7900XT
SOUNDCARD: Sound Blaster Z 5.1 home theater
MONITOR: 4K 65 inch TV
Full Rig Info

1 hour ago, UltraMega said:

I really like cases like that, ones that are small and cheap but still do a great job.

I started to write a review on that case... I was stunned at just how user friendly that little case was.  Best sub-$100 case I've used.

6 hours ago, Alastair said:

Looks like a sweet little machine. I love budget builds. Just something about squeezing every penny

Thanks : )  he came to pick it up today and was tickled with how it looked and how amazingly silent it was... his old one was a noisy little machine

• Thanks 1