Jump to content

Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, register to take part in our community, don't worry this is a simple FREE process that requires minimal information for you to signup.

 

Registered users can: 

  • Start new topics and reply to others.
  • Show off your PC using our Rig Creator feature.
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get updates.
  • Get your own profile page to customize.
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.
  • Upgrade to Premium to unlock additional sites features.
IGNORED

The Final Days of EVGA's GPU Division - Building the Last Video Card


Sir Beregond

Recommended Posts

 

Talk about such a major loss to the industry. Love just watching the talent in this video as they cobbled together a working 4090 to get world records one last time on EVGA hardware, and it was genuinely interesting to watch how the repair center worked to salvage working GPUs.

  • Thanks 1
  • Respect 2

Showcase

 Share

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
GPU: Nvidia RTX 3080 Ti Founders Edition
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB DDR4-3600 (@ 3733 14-8-14-14-21-35 1T GDM)
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
SSD/NVME: x2 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB
SSD/NVME 2: Crucial MX500 1TB
PSU: Corsair RM1000x
MONITOR: LG 48" C1 OLED
Full Rig Info

Owned

 Share

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K, Core i9-10900K, Core i3-13100, Core i9-13900KS
GPU: various
RAM: Corsair 32GB DDR3-2400 | Oloy Blade 16GB DDR4-3600 | Crucial 16GB DDR5-5600
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Deluxe | EVGA Z490 Dark | EVGA Z790 Dark Kingpin
SSD/NVME: Samsung 870 Evo 1TB | Inland 1TB Gen 4
PSU: BeQuiet Straight Power 12 1500W
CASE: Cooler Master MasterFrame 700 - bench mode
OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 10 LTSC
Full Rig Info

Owned

 Share

CPU: M1 Pro
RAM: 32GB
SSD/NVME: 1TB
OPERATING SYSTEM: MacOS Sonoma
CASE: Space Grey
Full Rig Info
Link to comment
Share on other sites

...too lazy to retype what I wrote on another forum re. this vid, so...

"......very, very sad to see EVGA go. Since vbios and NVidia approval are becoming ever more important, it also raises the question again how Galax HoF gets away with it, and even Asus for that matter. Galax though belongs to the Palit Microsystems group which includes Palit, Daytona, Gainward, Yuan, Vivkoo, KFA2 (Galax) and XpertVision. In addition, it does a fair amount of contract manufacturing...bottom line, it is the largest supplier of GPUs worldwide, so that must pull some weight with NVidia when asking for extra leeway...

The above vid also gives me some additional respect for Krisfix.de who does similar repairs and 'core re/mounting' but as part of a much smaller team - comes down to both immense skills and the right equipment on hand. Then there is the 'secret-revealed' GPU core lapping technique which had already been shown by DerBauer and Luumi (on KPE cards, btw) on YT a year+ ago...Finally, I do have a Speedway run which 3DM tagged as 'valid' and which would beat the world record shown in the vid. Of course, it had 'some artefacts'🤪 and I did not sub that...in fact, I have subbed far less at 3DM and other places as of late even with clean new runs because it is so polluted now.

I do think that the exit of EVGA is a sad turn of events for us enthusiasts - they were leaders in oc'ing but also shared their stuff relatively freely (see EVBot flashing, custom KPE bios et al)."

  • Thanks 1
  • Respect 1

Owned

 Share

CPU: CPU: ><.......7950X3D - Aorus X670E Master - 48GB DDR5 7200 (8000) TridentZ SK Hynix - Giga-G-OC/Galax RTX 4090 670W - LG 48 OLED - 4TB NVMEs >< .......5950X - Asus CH 8 Dark Hero - 32GB CL13 DDR4 4000 - AMD R 6900XT 500W - Philips BDM40 4K VA - 2TB NVME & 3TB SSDs >> - <<.......4.4 TR 2950X - MSI X399 Creation - 32 GB CL 14 3866 - Asus RTX 3090 Strix OC/KPin 520W and 2x RTX 2080 Ti Gigabyte XTR WF WB 380W - LG 55 IPS HDR - 1TB NVME & 4TB SSDs
Full Rig Info
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Really great video. I’m a little annoyed GN is putting good content behind paywalls. If he means to tell me that YouTube revenue, merch sales, and the tons of patreon subs they already have isn’t enough..

 

also curious if you bought merch if you get patreon with that..

Edited by acoustic
  • Respect 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 15/01/2023 at 19:17, Sir Beregond said:

 

Talk about such a major loss to the industry. Love just watching the talent in this video as they cobbled together a working 4090 to get world records one last time on EVGA hardware, and it was genuinely interesting to watch how the repair center worked to salvage working GPUs.

 

I really enjoyed that watch, to get some insight into the behind the scenes was really cool, and to see the team pull together one last time to thrash a 4090. It is a tremendous loss that EVGA is stepping out of the GPU game. I really wished that the relationship between EVGA and Nvidia could have been a better one, or smoothed out. However from what I know, Nvidia was being uncompromising. Huge loss for consumers and at the end of the day, this is a loss for Nvidia. They kind of shot themselves in the foot with this one.

 

On 17/01/2023 at 01:30, acoustic said:

Really great video. I’m a little annoyed GN is putting good content behind paywalls. If he means to tell me that YouTube revenue, merch sales, and the tons of patreon subs they already have isn’t enough..

 

also curious if you bought merch if you get patreon with that..

 

To be fair, I think it makes perfect sense. While it would be great to give everything away, the real world does not work that way 😞 I think people seem to believe that YT Revenue, Merch and Patreon alone brings in all the revenue needed for a team. However when you consider their office/lab space, the staff, component purchases for independent reviews, costs for journalism related trips, camera's lighting etc etc. That all mounts up QUICK and they need some way to fund it. 

 

If an outlet of any description provides good quality content that I enjoy on a frequent basis, I have always believed in supporting that continued effort. That is why I have a GN Mouse mat 😛

  • Thanks 1
  • Respect 1

£3000

Owned

 Share

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D
MOTHERBOARD: MSI Meg Ace X670E
RAM: Corsair Dominator Titanium 64GB (6000MT/s)
GPU: EVGA 3090 FTW Ultra Gaming
SSD/NVME: Corsair MP700 Pro Gen 5 2TB
PSU: EVGA Supernova T2 1600Watt
CASE: be quiet Dark Base Pro 900 Rev 2
FANS: Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC x 6
Full Rig Info

Owned

 Share

CPU: Intel Core i5 8500
RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) Kingston 2666Mhz
SSD/NVME: 256GB Samsung NVMe
NETWORK: HP 561T 10Gbe (Intel X540 T2)
MOTHERBOARD: Proprietry
GPU: Intel UHD Graphics 630
PSU: 90Watt
CASE: HP EliteDesk 800 G4 SFF
Full Rig Info

£3000

Owned

 Share

CPU: 2 x Xeon|E5-2696-V4 (44C/88T)
RAM: 128GB|16 x 8GB - DDR4 2400MHz (2Rx8)
MOTHERBOARD: HP Z840|Intel C612 Chipset
GPU: Nvidia Quadro P2200
HDD: 4x 16TB Toshiba MG08ACA16TE Enterprise
SSD/NVME: Intel 512GB 670p NVMe (Main OS)
SSD/NVME 2: Samsung 1TB 980 NVMe (VM's)
SSD/NVME 3: 2x Seagate FireCuda 1TB SSD's (Apps)
Full Rig Info
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I watched that video right after Steve released it. It was an excellent video and I am very sad that we have lost EVGA in the graphics card space.

 

With a couple of rare exceptions, every desktop graphics card that I have purchased since the time ATi was acquired by AMD has been made by EVGA. I feel lost without them as my go-to GPU provider. I have low confidence in the  product quality and warranty with other brands. Whenever possible, I choose EVGA for my components because their warranty and customer service is unmatched. Their competitors almost universally have a lousy warranty / RMA process. Their chief competitor in the enthusiast space has an atrocious and painful warranty support program that takes weeks to run its course and sometimes with unacceptable outcomes. That has never been my experience with EVGA.

  • Respect 2

Owned

 Share

CPU: Intel Core i9-14900KF - Bare Die
MOTHERBOARD: ASUSTeK ROG Maximum Z790 Apex
RAM: G.SKILL Trident Z5 48GB DDR5 @ 8600 - On Water
GPU: MSI RTX 4090 Suprim-X + Byski Block
PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower GF3 1650W
SSD/NVME: NVMe x9 (11TB), SATA SSD x1 (1TB), HDD x1 (4TB)
CPU COOLER: MO-RA 360, D5 x4, 5 Gal Reservoir, Hailea HC-500A
CASE: Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL EVO
Full Rig Info

Owned

 Share

CPU: Intel Core i9-13900KS - Bare Die
MOTHERBOARD: ASUSTeK ROG Maximum Z790 Apex Encore
RAM: G.SKILL Trident Z5 48GB DDR5 @ 8600 - On Water
GPU: Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC + Alphacool Block
PSU: Corsair RM1200x Shift
SSD/NVME: NVMe x8 (11.5TB), SATA SSD x2 (3TB), HDD x1 (2TB)
CPU COOLER: Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 1080 Nova, D5 x2
CASE: be quiet! Dark Base Pro 901
Full Rig Info

Owned

 Share

CPU: Intel Core i9-14900K - Delidded
MOTHERBOARD: MSI MPG Z790i Edge WiFi (ITX)
RAM: G.SKILL Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 @ 8000
GPU: ASROCK Arc A770 Phantom Gaming OC
PSU: GameMax 850W Gold ARGB
SSD/NVME: NVMe x3 (4TB), SATA SSD x4 (4TB)
CPU COOLER: EK Nucleus CR360 Dark AIO
CASE: ASUS Prime AP201 Micro Tower TG
Full Rig Info
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 21/01/2023 at 12:40, ENTERPRISE said:

To be fair, I think it makes perfect sense. While it would be great to give everything away, the real world does not work that way 😞 I think people seem to believe that YT Revenue, Merch and Patreon alone brings in all the revenue needed for a team. However when you consider their office/lab space, the staff, component purchases for independent reviews, costs for journalism related trips, camera's lighting etc etc. That all mounts up QUICK and they need some way to fund it. 

 

If an outlet of any description provides good quality content that I enjoy on a frequent basis, I have always believed in supporting that continued effort. That is why I have a GN Mouse mat 😛


My only issue is that patreon and things like the GN Mouse mat are unfortunately not linked. I’ve supported GN by purchasing their merch, but that does not get me patreon access. I think it’s unfair to limit content behind patreon despite supporting their channel through merch purchases. I understand supporting their channel, and I’m not advocating for everything to be free. I just dislike the segregation of content based off patreon support, since it’s not linked with merch purchases.

 

 

  • Respect 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, acoustic said:


My only issue is that patreon and things like the GN Mouse mat are unfortunately not linked. I’ve supported GN by purchasing their merch, but that does not get me patreon access. I think it’s unfair to limit content behind patreon despite supporting their channel through merch purchases. I understand supporting their channel, and I’m not advocating for everything to be free. I just dislike the segregation of content based off patreon support, since it’s not linked with merch purchases.

 

 

I think that is a fair point. I have never thought about it like that before. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, acoustic said:


My only issue is that patreon and things like the GN Mouse mat are unfortunately not linked. I’ve supported GN by purchasing their merch, but that does not get me patreon access. I think it’s unfair to limit content behind patreon despite supporting their channel through merch purchases. I understand supporting their channel, and I’m not advocating for everything to be free. I just dislike the segregation of content based off patreon support, since it’s not linked with merch purchases.

 

 

Yeah I agree with this. I have bought merchandise before too when they were a lot smaller than they are now.

Showcase

 Share

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
GPU: Nvidia RTX 3080 Ti Founders Edition
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB DDR4-3600 (@ 3733 14-8-14-14-21-35 1T GDM)
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
SSD/NVME: x2 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB
SSD/NVME 2: Crucial MX500 1TB
PSU: Corsair RM1000x
MONITOR: LG 48" C1 OLED
Full Rig Info

Owned

 Share

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K, Core i9-10900K, Core i3-13100, Core i9-13900KS
GPU: various
RAM: Corsair 32GB DDR3-2400 | Oloy Blade 16GB DDR4-3600 | Crucial 16GB DDR5-5600
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Deluxe | EVGA Z490 Dark | EVGA Z790 Dark Kingpin
SSD/NVME: Samsung 870 Evo 1TB | Inland 1TB Gen 4
PSU: BeQuiet Straight Power 12 1500W
CASE: Cooler Master MasterFrame 700 - bench mode
OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 10 LTSC
Full Rig Info

Owned

 Share

CPU: M1 Pro
RAM: 32GB
SSD/NVME: 1TB
OPERATING SYSTEM: MacOS Sonoma
CASE: Space Grey
Full Rig Info
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The issue is the additional administration involved in manually adding people to Patreon platform that have purchased from the store.  No small task to keep on top of. Automation is also tricky unless there is an API to do that. 

 

It is worth noting that buying merchandise from them and Patreon are VERY different things. 

 

They are two different revenue streams. One is continual (Patreon) and the othe is a one off or infrequent (Store). Why would you give away a Patreon spot worth say $5 PER MONTH, for a SINGLE purchase of an item worth...well virtually any amount on their store. 

 

Their patreon is a reliable and continual income. Compromising that would be ill advised. So keeping Patreon and the Store separate is just good business sense. While GN is very community focused, they are a business and to stay afloat doing what they do, they need to operate that way.

  • Respect 1

£3000

Owned

 Share

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D
MOTHERBOARD: MSI Meg Ace X670E
RAM: Corsair Dominator Titanium 64GB (6000MT/s)
GPU: EVGA 3090 FTW Ultra Gaming
SSD/NVME: Corsair MP700 Pro Gen 5 2TB
PSU: EVGA Supernova T2 1600Watt
CASE: be quiet Dark Base Pro 900 Rev 2
FANS: Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC x 6
Full Rig Info

Owned

 Share

CPU: Intel Core i5 8500
RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) Kingston 2666Mhz
SSD/NVME: 256GB Samsung NVMe
NETWORK: HP 561T 10Gbe (Intel X540 T2)
MOTHERBOARD: Proprietry
GPU: Intel UHD Graphics 630
PSU: 90Watt
CASE: HP EliteDesk 800 G4 SFF
Full Rig Info

£3000

Owned

 Share

CPU: 2 x Xeon|E5-2696-V4 (44C/88T)
RAM: 128GB|16 x 8GB - DDR4 2400MHz (2Rx8)
MOTHERBOARD: HP Z840|Intel C612 Chipset
GPU: Nvidia Quadro P2200
HDD: 4x 16TB Toshiba MG08ACA16TE Enterprise
SSD/NVME: Intel 512GB 670p NVMe (Main OS)
SSD/NVME 2: Samsung 1TB 980 NVMe (VM's)
SSD/NVME 3: 2x Seagate FireCuda 1TB SSD's (Apps)
Full Rig Info
Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, ENTERPRISE said:

The issue is the additional administration involved in manually adding people to Patreon platform that have purchased from the store.  No small task to keep on top of. Automation is also tricky unless there is an API to do that. 

 

It is worth noting that buying merchandise from them and Patreon are VERY different things. 

 

They are two different revenue streams. One is continual (Patreon) and the othe is a one off or infrequent (Store). Why would you give away a Patreon spot worth say $5 PER MONTH, for a SINGLE purchase of an item worth...well virtually any amount on their store. 

 

Their patreon is a reliable and continual income. Compromising that would be ill advised. So keeping Patreon and the Store separate is just good business sense. While GN is very community focused, they are a business and to stay afloat doing what they do, they need to operate that way.

I think that is fair too. I certainly understand having to make a business viable and profitable and I also understand customer desire to obtain things with the least amount of financial commitment. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Additional context?

 

GRAPHTREON.COM

gamersnexus Patreon earnings, statistics, graphs, and popularity rank updated daily

 

 

 

WWW.NETWORTHSPOT.COM

Gamers Nexus is a YouTuber with 1.71 million subsribers. Find out Gamers Nexus's net worth and earnings.

 

 

WWW.TRACKALYTICS.COM

Check out the number of Gamers nexus Subscribers and Views on this Youtube User and other interesting statistics.

 

  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

This Website may place and access certain Cookies on your computer. ExtremeHW uses Cookies to improve your experience of using the Website and to improve our range of products and services. ExtremeHW has carefully chosen these Cookies and has taken steps to ensure that your privacy is protected and respected at all times. All Cookies used by this Website are used in accordance with current UK and EU Cookie Law. For more information please see our Privacy Policy