Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, register to take part in our community, don't worry this is a simple FREE process that requires minimal information for you to signup.

Registered users can: 

• Start new topics and reply to others.
  • Show off your PC using our Rig Creator feature.
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get updates.
  • Get your own profile page to customize.
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.
  • Upgrade to Premium to unlock additional sites features.
IGNORED

Deepfake news videos are starting to emerge

CNN's Selina Wang investigates the campaign of anti-US deepfake newscasts sent out by pro-China bot accounts on Twitter and Facebook, though their origin is unknown.

Edited by UltraMega
  • Thanks 1
  • Respect 1

Owned

CPU: 5800x
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS TUF Gaming B550-Plus
RAM: XMP 3600mhz CL16
GPU: 7900XT
SOUNDCARD: Sound Blaster Z 5.1 home theater
MONITOR: 4K 65 inch TV
Full Rig Info

Social Media Manager
1.4k 814

I wonder how many job will be replaced by those AI 😦

Owned

MOTHERBOARD: MSI MPG Z790i EDGE
CPU: Intel 13900k + Top Mounted 280mm Aio
RAM: 2x24gb Gskill 6400 cl36-48-48 1.4v
PSU: Cooler Master V850 SFX Gold White Edition
GPU: UHD ULTRA EXTREME BANANA GRAPHIC
MONITOR: [Monitor] LG CX48 OLED [VR] Samsung HMD Odyssey Plus OLED + Meta Quest 2 120hz
CASE: CoolerMaster NR200P White Mini ITX
SSD/NVME: 2TB Intel 660p 1tb sn850 1tb sn770
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: Asus Strix G15 AE 6800m 5900hx 32gb ram 1440p
RAM: MSI GT60 Dominator 870m 4800MQ
GPU: Alienware M11x R2 i7 640um Nvidia 335m 8gb Ram
MONITOR: Lenovo X270 1080p i7 7600u 16gb ram
SSD/NVME: Acer Chromebook 11.6
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: Ryzen 5560u
MOTHERBOARD: Beelink SER5 Mini PC Box
RAM: 2x32gb Sodimm
CASE: Jonsbo N1 Mini ITX
HDD: 8TB + 4TB HDD + 2 x Intel DC S3500 800GB
Full Rig Info

Social Media Manager
1.4k 814

Here we go

Edited by bonami2
  • Respect 2

Owned

MOTHERBOARD: MSI MPG Z790i EDGE
CPU: Intel 13900k + Top Mounted 280mm Aio
RAM: 2x24gb Gskill 6400 cl36-48-48 1.4v
PSU: Cooler Master V850 SFX Gold White Edition
GPU: UHD ULTRA EXTREME BANANA GRAPHIC
MONITOR: [Monitor] LG CX48 OLED [VR] Samsung HMD Odyssey Plus OLED + Meta Quest 2 120hz
CASE: CoolerMaster NR200P White Mini ITX
SSD/NVME: 2TB Intel 660p 1tb sn850 1tb sn770
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: Asus Strix G15 AE 6800m 5900hx 32gb ram 1440p
RAM: MSI GT60 Dominator 870m 4800MQ
GPU: Alienware M11x R2 i7 640um Nvidia 335m 8gb Ram
MONITOR: Lenovo X270 1080p i7 7600u 16gb ram
SSD/NVME: Acer Chromebook 11.6
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: Ryzen 5560u
MOTHERBOARD: Beelink SER5 Mini PC Box
RAM: 2x32gb Sodimm
CASE: Jonsbo N1 Mini ITX
HDD: 8TB + 4TB HDD + 2 x Intel DC S3500 800GB
Full Rig Info

1 hour ago, bonami2 said:

Here we go

...doesn't pass our moose and grizzly test (...yet).

But this is becoming seriously worrisome as this will be used by corporate and political interests to the ying-yang. The best defense would be teaching MAXIMUM analytical skills to our kids, but instead, it seems to be mostly 'multiple-choice' (or ChatGPT essays?). Many of the next generation will become cannon-fodder in the future disinformation > misinformation - 'information' battles.

• Thanks 2
  • Respect 1

Owned

CPU: CPU: ><.......7950X3D - Aorus X670E Master - 48GB DDR5 7200 (8000) TridentZ SK Hynix - Giga-G-OC/Galax RTX 4090 670W - LG 48 OLED - 4TB NVMEs >< .......5950X - Asus CH 8 Dark Hero - 32GB CL13 DDR4 4000 - AMD R 6900XT 500W - Philips BDM40 4K VA - 2TB NVME & 3TB SSDs >> - <<.......4.4 TR 2950X - MSI X399 Creation - 32 GB CL 14 3866 - Asus RTX 3090 Strix OC/KPin 520W and 2x RTX 2080 Ti Gigabyte XTR WF WB 380W - LG 55 IPS HDR - 1TB NVME & 4TB SSDs
Full Rig Info

3 hours ago, J7SC_Orion said:

...doesn't pass our moose and grizzly test (...yet).

But this is becoming seriously worrisome as this will be used by corporate and political interests to the ying-yang. The best defense would be teaching MAXIMUM analytical skills to our kids, but instead, it seems to be mostly 'multiple-choice' (or ChatGPT essays?). Many of the next generation will become cannon-fodder in the future disinformation > misinformation - 'information' battles.

These deep fakes don't change anything.  We don't have an honest media, there are no more Walter Cronkite's.  They don't report the news, they shape the news to fit their own agenda.  Even the so called "fact checkers" don't actually fact check..they seem to overlook inconvenient truths.  The media we have now are the OG deep fakes.  It's all gone downhill in the past 20 years.  Ratings, clicks and pushing a narrative are the priority, not honest journalism.

• Thanks 1
  • Respect 1

Premium Platinum - Lifetime
766 1,668
3 hours ago, J7SC_Orion said:

The best defense would be teaching MAXIMUM analytical skills to our kids, but instead, it seems to be mostly 'multiple-choice' (or ChatGPT essays?). Many of the next generation will become cannon-fodder in the future disinformation > misinformation - 'information' battles.

Good luck with that 👍

Given where we are today, I can't help but wonder if  our species  has actually been devolving for decades now (pea-brain comes to mind). If true, the only real question might be ape or lizard...?

devolution1.jpg.29df1e728aa410b02e56e61e2c12d05a.jpg

Edited by iamjanco

2 hours ago, Diffident said:

These deep fakes don't change anything.  We don't have an honest media, there are no more Walter Cronkite's.  They don't report the news, they shape the news to fit their own agenda.  Even the so called "fact checkers" don't actually fact check..they seem to overlook inconvenient truths.  The media we have now are the OG deep fakes.  It's all gone downhill in the past 20 years.  Ratings, clicks and pushing a narrative are the priority, not honest journalism.

Agree, when cable replaced broadcast and everything became a 24/7 ratings war is when we lost honest reporting. Now they just look for stories that will get/agree with the most viewers.   Take a man shooting a person in defense during a home invasion. Depending on where the story airs,it may become "An innocent homeless man was shot and killed simply for trying to get out of the cold." Today's media has become adept at the art of the spin. ☹️

• Thanks 1

Boyd's video does the mouth movement really well.  CNN's complaint of, crappy AI can't get the mouth right is just that company's version of it.  It looks like recording a real person delivering the script they want, then using open source software to change the face to whomever they want, could get pretty respectable results.

It is interesting that once you know the facial points the software is using, it's easy to look at those spots and identify if they are correctly moving with facial expressions.  it is possible to spot a deepfake, but it requires knowledge of how that program works. 

6 hours ago, Diffident said:

3 hours ago, schuck6566 said:

Agree, when cable replaced broadcast and everything became a 24/7 ratings war is when we lost honest reporting. Now they just look for stories that will get/agree with the most viewers.   Take a man shooting a person in defense during a home invasion. Depending on where the story airs,it may become "An innocent homeless man was shot and killed simply for trying to get out of the cold." Today's media has become adept at the art of the spin. ☹️

...I don't disagree, but all the more reason to provide maximum analytical skills to help spot manipulation and fake news by all involved in regular media channels. The 'click for eye-balls' business model is getting us into bigger and bigger trouble, a race to the bottom...

• Thanks 1

Owned

CPU: CPU: ><.......7950X3D - Aorus X670E Master - 48GB DDR5 7200 (8000) TridentZ SK Hynix - Giga-G-OC/Galax RTX 4090 670W - LG 48 OLED - 4TB NVMEs >< .......5950X - Asus CH 8 Dark Hero - 32GB CL13 DDR4 4000 - AMD R 6900XT 500W - Philips BDM40 4K VA - 2TB NVME & 3TB SSDs >> - <<.......4.4 TR 2950X - MSI X399 Creation - 32 GB CL 14 3866 - Asus RTX 3090 Strix OC/KPin 520W and 2x RTX 2080 Ti Gigabyte XTR WF WB 380W - LG 55 IPS HDR - 1TB NVME & 4TB SSDs
Full Rig Info

Thinking about all this AI stuff, and having early access to BingChat, it's clear we are about to enter a new information age with AI generating a lot of the content we will consume online. It does make me worry about disinformation flowing more easily, but on the other hand it will make it much easier to disprove. You can use it to generate questionable content but you can also ask it to verify things. It's going to be a hot click bait ticket to be posting all the funny and weird thing the chat AI does, but it gets things right the vast majority of the time. 

Imagine debating someone about a conspiracy theory online, you could bombard them with so much counter information so fast that they could never keep up. 

News organizations that typically thrive off conspiracy theories and hate speech are going to be complaining about AI more and more, I guarantee it. 

Edited by UltraMega

Owned

CPU: 5800x
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS TUF Gaming B550-Plus
RAM: XMP 3600mhz CL16
GPU: 7900XT
SOUNDCARD: Sound Blaster Z 5.1 home theater
MONITOR: 4K 65 inch TV
Full Rig Info

4 hours ago, J7SC_Orion said:

...I don't disagree, but all the more reason to provide maximum analytical skills to help spot manipulation and fake news by all involved in regular media channels. The 'click for eye-balls' business model is getting us into bigger and bigger trouble, a race to the bottom...

Fortunately the younger generations typically drink water and breathe air with a lot less heavy metals contamination than previous generations. I hope that unleaded brains and growing up with people online constantly trying to deceive them will lead to them being a little less gullible and less susceptible to disinformation. Laziness in verifying information before repeating it will persist.

• Thanks 1

~$3.50

Owned

CPU: i9-7940X
MOTHERBOARD: Rampage VI Extreme Omega
RAM: 128GB G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3200MHz
PSU: EVGA 1600 T2
GPU: Gigabyte 3090Ti Gaming OC
CASE: Caselabs s8 with pedestal
UPS: Cyberpower OR2200LCDRTXL2U
Full Rig Info

~$3.50