Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, register to take part in our community, don't worry this is a simple FREE process that requires minimal information for you to signup.

Registered users can: 

• Start new topics and reply to others.
  • Show off your PC using our Rig Creator feature.
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get updates.
  • Get your own profile page to customize.
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.
  • Upgrade to Premium to unlock additional sites features.
IGNORED

Rumor: Nvidia planning to use Intel fab

UltraMega

All of Nvidia's current and previous generation products, such as the A100, A800, A30, H100, H800, H200, and GH200 rely on TSMC's CoWoS-S packaging process, which relies on a silicon interposer. The closest advanced packaging technology that Intel has is called Foveros, which also relies on an interposer, albeit a different one (CoWoS-S presumably uses a 65nm interposer, and Foveros uses a 22FFL interposer).  

To use Intel's Foveros, Nvidia will need to validate the technology and then qualify actual products, which will likely have slightly different characteristics (because interposers are made on different process technologies and have different bump pitches) than those packaged by TSMC, so the company's partners will probably also need to qualify them before deployment. If this is the case, it will be interesting to see whether Nvidia outsources only select products to Intel, or all of them. 

https://www.tomshardware.com/pc-components/gpus/nvidia-reportedly-selects-intel-foundry-services-for-chip-packaging-production-could-produce-over-300000-h100-gpus-per-month

• Shocked 1

Owned

CPU: 5800x
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS TUF Gaming B550-Plus
RAM: XMP 3600mhz CL16
GPU: 7900XT
SOUNDCARD: Sound Blaster Z 5.1 home theater
MONITOR: 4K 65 inch TV
Full Rig Info

Seems a good time to buy Intel stock.

I am excited for the next generation of products on the new fabs Intel is building.

~$3.50

Owned

CPU: i9-7940X
MOTHERBOARD: Rampage VI Extreme Omega
RAM: 128GB G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3200MHz
PSU: EVGA 1600 T2
GPU: Gigabyte 3090Ti Gaming OC
CASE: Caselabs s8 with pedestal
UPS: Cyberpower OR2200LCDRTXL2U
Full Rig Info

~$3.50

Owned

CPU: i9-10980xe
MOTHERBOARD: Rampage VI Extreme Encore
RAM: 128GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200MHz
PSU: EVGA 1600 G2
GPU: Nvidia FE 3090Ti (Asus 860W bios)
UPS: Eaton 5130
Full Rig Info

~$3.50

Owned

CPU: i7-5960X
MOTHERBOARD: Rampage V Extreme edition 10
RAM: 128GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200MHz
PSU: Lepa 1600W gold
GPU: Nvidia Titan X Pascal
GPU 2: Nvidia Titan X Pascal
CASE: Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL
UPS: Cyberpower OL1500rtx2u
Full Rig Info

This is interesting.  Intel may not have licensing rights on Nvidia technology, but if they are building it for them they are in a prime position to leverage Nvidia for their own gains.

Sort of like China stealing technology.  "We'll make it, just give us your designs".  Intel can't copy the product verbatim, but they can still benefit from the R&D, which is no small cost.

It's also interesting because it has similarities to Nvidia and AMD board partners.  Seems to me that EVGA dropped out because they didn't want to compete with Nvidia.  The ability to set the price they sell their components for, set the MSRP, and the ability to compete in the same market was too much to bear.

It may indeed be time to buy Intel stock.  It will be interesting to see just how many keys to their kingdom Nvidia is handing to Intel.

It's still a bit early for Intel graphics cards though.  I suspect it will take Intel 3 generations to smooth out the bumps.  That is if they stick with it.  Rumor has it their 3.5 billion investment may be axed before it can pay off.

• Thanks 1

The Intel chips that will go into defense industry stuff to be made with no foreign components will be enough to consume a lot of chips. This was a big driver to bring this manufacturing home. If Taiwan and its semiconductor manufacturing industry were to suddenly be cut off it would really hamper a lot of defense capability. Add to that the demand for AI, tech in infrastructure, etc and Intel is well positioned. Nvidia is going to be a huge partner to keep their chips towards the front of the queue. I have to imagine that with the huge investment the previous and current administrations have put into this there is a clause to put items of national security at the front of the line. The new fab in Rio Rancho NM is up and running. Not sure about the big one in Phoenix.

~$3.50

Owned

CPU: i9-7940X
MOTHERBOARD: Rampage VI Extreme Omega
RAM: 128GB G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3200MHz
PSU: EVGA 1600 T2
GPU: Gigabyte 3090Ti Gaming OC
UPS: Cyberpower OR2200LCDRTXL2U
Full Rig Info

~$3.50

Owned