Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, register to take part in our community, don't worry this is a simple FREE process that requires minimal information for you to signup.

Registered users can: 

• Start new topics and reply to others.
  • Show off your PC using our Rig Creator feature.
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get updates.
  • Get your own profile page to customize.
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.
  • Upgrade to Premium to unlock additional sites features.
IGNORED

Impulse Buy Should I return (7900X3D)?

VoidTheWarranty

More fuel to the fire: https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-confirms-ryzen-7000x3d-will-remain-top-gaming-performer-ahead-of-9000-series-launch

As we suspected, 9000 series will be a skip if you’re a gamer. OP, you’re better off waiting for 9000 X3D or a later gen if you want to feel the upgrade.

Still, knowing Canadian prices, 390$ CAD ($280 USD) isn’t terrible for the wonky 7900X3D but in my heart of hearts, I can’t recommend a component that has too many caveats. Even if they are minimal impacts to your gameplay, it’s the principle of the matter.

For context, I may jump into AM5 towards the tail end. Has to be at least two gens for me to consider an upgrade and Id recommend the same.

Wait for 9000 X3D. Even if you don’t end up getting it due to pricing, it will put pressure sure on 7800X3D prices. 5000 series to 7000X3D is at least the bare min. in terms of noticeable improvements. Especially noticeable if you play at 1080p and competitive, low render cost games.

• Agreed 2

2 hours ago, Slaughtahouse said:

More fuel to the fire: https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-confirms-ryzen-7000x3d-will-remain-top-gaming-performer-ahead-of-9000-series-launch

As we suspected, 9000 series will be a skip if you’re a gamer. OP, you’re better off waiting for 9000 X3D or a later gen if you want to feel the upgrade.

Still, knowing Canadian prices, 390$ CAD ($280 USD) isn’t terrible for the wonky 7900X3D but in my heart of hearts, I can’t recommend a component that has too many caveats. Even if they are minimal impacts to your gameplay, it’s the principle of the matter.

For context, I may jump into AM5 towards the tail end. Has to be at least two gens for me to consider an upgrade and Id recommend the same.

Wait for 9000 X3D. Even if you don’t end up getting it due to pricing, it will put pressure sure on 7800X3D prices. 5000 series to 7000X3D is at least the bare min. in terms of noticeable improvements. Especially noticeable if you play at 1080p and competitive, low render cost games.

Honestly might wait for Zen 6 at this point.

• Thanks 2

Showcase

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
GPU: Nvidia RTX 3080 Ti Founders Edition
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB DDR4-3600 (@ 3733 14-8-14-14-21-35 1T GDM)
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
SSD/NVME: x2 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB
SSD/NVME 2: Crucial MX500 1TB
PSU: Corsair RM1000x
MONITOR: LG 42" C4 OLED
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K, Core i9-10900K, Core i3-13100, Core i9-13900KS
GPU: various
RAM: Corsair 32GB DDR3-2400 | Oloy Blade 16GB DDR4-3600 | Crucial 16GB DDR5-5600
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Deluxe | EVGA Z490 Dark | EVGA Z790 Dark Kingpin
SSD/NVME: Samsung 870 Evo 1TB | Inland 1TB Gen 4
PSU: BeQuiet Straight Power 12 1500W
CASE: Cooler Master MasterFrame 700 - bench mode
OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 10 LTSC
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: M1 Pro
RAM: 32GB
SSD/NVME: 1TB
OPERATING SYSTEM: MacOS Sonoma
CASE: Space Grey
Full Rig Info

17 hours ago, VoidTheWarranty said:

Well I canceled it. We'll see if I regret it. While that 9000X3D would be nice I'll be waiting another couple years to upgrade to one of them. If the 7800X3D does drop in price I'll snag one I'll be watching. I'm going to be surprised if the 9600X is that amazing but I feel like I'm either missing something or I'm just not buying into the fanboi hype. I'm not sure why there's so much hype over a chip that's single core performance in CPU-Z is on par with a i7-12700K.  

But the 7900X3D at $389 when it's generally $500+ and a 7800X3D is $488 well the 7900X3D to me still seemed like a good option but I agree not the best. Most importantly I'm not paying $500 for either of them I just don't think a 7800X3D or 9000X3D is worth $488-500 to me. I actually won't pay over $400 for a chip again it just wasn't worth it. I rather opt for the $400 deal I just saw pop up for a 7600X + Mobo combo.

Anyone go from a 5600X to 7600X to X3D chip for actual real life comparison? 

Thanks everyone for the AM4 advice. It is probably the best advice for someone interested in keeping with AM4 however I have 0 interest in a 5700X3D or 5800X3D I'm sick of AM4. I spent more hours tweaking this thing probably than all the other PC's I've had combined (20+ years of building PC's) and honestly AM4 never felt satisfying. 

I think you would have enjoyed tweaking AM4 more with a different motherboard. As a repair guy, I have more issued with MSI boards than any other brand. 

Dollar for dollar, you best upgrade is to move to a an AM4 X3D CPU. 

Edited by UltraMega

Owned

CPU: 5800x
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS TUF Gaming B550-Plus
RAM: XMP 3600mhz CL16
GPU: 7900XT
SOUNDCARD: Sound Blaster Z 5.1 home theater
MONITOR: 4K 65 inch TV
Full Rig Info

10 hours ago, Sir Beregond said:

Honestly might wait for Zen 6 at this point.

Im not a fan of jumping in early gen / beta tester. I know I lose the benefits of CPU upgrades jumping in late but usually the gen has matured and prices are settled.

Im still super impressed by my 5800X3D anyway and will only jump when my go-to games are suffering.

• Respect 1

7 hours ago, UltraMega said:

I think you would have enjoyed tweaking AM4 more with a different motherboard. As a repair guy, I have more issued with MSI boards than any other brand. 

Dollar for dollar, you best upgrade is to move to a an AM4 X3D CPU. 

The board was okay but MSI has redundancies, some wonkiness, but I would say it was better than my last Gigabyte that would randomly change from UFEI to standard BIOS at random it left a bad taste in my mouth. When I sold it I tossed in a free cooler just to get it out of my home faster. Asus QC/Warranty these days is pretty questionable. Overall I'm still having a hard time knowing that Asrock is one of the better options although I have no experience with their BIOS. But you are correct I don't think I'll be going for another MSI unless it's one crazy deal. Which boards are you seeing are actually quality/ not stupid bios?

13 hours ago, Slaughtahouse said:

The fanboi echo chamber is really something else not to mention all the performance any of these companies promise is always bs. I commented earlier about how the CPU-Z single core performance wasn't anything impressive (although a leak so who knows). But if it the leak was accurate and so is the Videocardz article I would not surprised at all. 7800X3D sounds like the most appealing, maybe an intel rig if they get cleared out hard seeing as I still have DDR4. 

I had to go from single rank to dual rank cause AMD's controller couldn't handle the ram upgrade which was a fun waste of a week troubleshooting that and the return. Is AM5 any better for memory or is it still sketchy? Something I'll also consider. 

Owned

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
MOTHERBOARD: MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 4x8GB 32GB DDR4 3600MHZ
SSD/NVME: KINGSTON KC3000 1TB
GPU: ASUS Dual AMD Radeon RX 6750 XT OC Edition 12GB
SOUNDCARD: Sound Blaster Z SE
GPU 2: XPG CORE REACTOR 650W GOLD
CASE: NZXT H510i
Full Rig Info

3 hours ago, VoidTheWarranty said:

The fanboi echo chamber is really something else not to mention all the performance any of these companies promise is always bs. I commented earlier about how the CPU-Z single core performance wasn't anything impressive (although a leak so who knows). But if it the leak was accurate and so is the Videocardz article I would not surprised at all. 7800X3D sounds like the most appealing, maybe an intel rig if they get cleared out hard seeing as I still have DDR4. 

I had to go from single rank to dual rank cause AMD's controller couldn't handle the ram upgrade which was a fun waste of a week troubleshooting that and the return. Is AM5 any better for memory or is it still sketchy? Something I'll also consider. 

Can't speak about the leak or AM5. So not really sure how I can help 🙂 

All I can say is that you'll be better off with an X3D part either way, as the extra cache really helps absorb what all the RAM tweaking was compensating for (reducing system latency). CPU cache is the higher priority in other words. In order of L1, L2, L3. L3 to my understanding is the cache dump. Its slower than L1, L2, but holds the most info and is way faster than the fastest system memory out there. It's the last line of defense before your system goes to system memory (RAM) in my simpleton brain.

I personally see it at as a moot point to spend more on higher quality RAM (speed / timings) when the yield is similar to that $ spent on the extra cache 3D parts which require little to no effort. 

To summarize my thoughts for you OP, I see 3 options today:

1. Best value approach today: Sell 5600X, plug in 5700X3D. It's a single gen jump without platform upgrades.
  2. Best performance approach today: Sell AM4 system, upgrade to AM5, buy sweet spot memory, buy 7800X3D
  3. Best long term strategy: Wait for 9000X3D. Decide on 7800X3D (hopefully on sale) or go all in on 9800X3D (probably the better choice). 
  • Agreed 2

Premium Platinum - Lifetime

It should be noted also that I believe raising the fclk helps improve L3 Cache speed and latency. It's a small gain, but it's there.

$5500

Owned

CPU: Ryzen 9 7900X3D 2100MHz fclk
RAM: G.skill TridentZ5 7600MHz 36-45-45-45 1.425v
GPU: MSI RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 3.135GHz/12.152GHz
MOTHERBOARD: Asus ROG Strix X670E-E Gaming Wifi
SSD/NVME: Crucial T700 1TB Gen 5 M.2
MONITOR: Acer Ultrawide Curved 3440x1440 144Hz HDR400 FreeSync
CASE: anidees Ai Crystal AR3 Midtower
CPU COOLER: EK Nucleus AIO CR360 Dark w/ PTM7950
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: i5-7600 4.5GHz
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Strix Z270H Gaming
RAM: G.skill DDR4-3000 15-16-16
CASE: Silverstone Grandia series GD09
GPU: GT 710
SSD/NVME: Samsung 850 Evo
MONITOR: Asus V239H 1080p 60Hz IPS
CPU COOLER: Thermalright AXP-120-X67
Full Rig Info

I wouldn't say MSI is bad, but they make more cheap low quality boards than any other main brand. Your MSI board isn't a low quality one though, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. There's not usually much tweaking to do on AMD CPUs since they usually barely have any OC headroom. What kind of tweaks were you having issues with? The X3D chips are not made for overclocking at all, so if you do get an X3D chip you will have even less tweaking to think about. 

IMO, a good 16 thread CPU is ideal until a new console gen comes out. The difference between a CPU like the 5700X3D anything faster is very small, and with virtually all major games being cross platform now, they are always going to target console CPUs, so just having a CPU with the same number of threads is a good idea. Your CPU only has 12 threads, so you're a little behind where your CPU should be just for good PC performance in current gen games. A 5700X3D could easily last you until a new console with a more powerful CPU comes out and games start targeting higher CPU requirements. 

Owned

CPU: 5800x
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS TUF Gaming B550-Plus
RAM: XMP 3600mhz CL16
GPU: 7900XT
SOUNDCARD: Sound Blaster Z 5.1 home theater
MONITOR: 4K 65 inch TV
Full Rig Info