Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, register to take part in our community, don't worry this is a simple FREE process that requires minimal information for you to signup.

Registered users can: 

• Start new topics and reply to others.
  • Show off your PC using our Rig Creator feature.
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get updates.
  • Get your own profile page to customize.
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.
  • Upgrade to Premium to unlock additional sites features.
IGNORED

Intel 13th/14th instability and degradation topic - Lets talk?

Memmento Mori

Hi Guys,

just kinda thinking if you have any experience with that.

I was intending to delid my 14900K but before i made anything i just read about the degradation problem of some of the CPUs. So there is as well a fix for it like to upgrade bios and make some settings which i did and gues what? As im on air cooler the seetign ust causing i always have the same result in cinebench and the CPU is downclocking it self based on the temp... Which means for me makes no sense to delid it now and test the Thermal grizlys heat spreader alonng with 2 separate coolers... Or am i wrong? Missing something? 

Here some media i digged in about it:

NoBodyKnow

Owned

CPU: Intel i9-10900K @ 4.9 Ghz
MOTHERBOARD: MSI MEG Z490 Godlike
RAM: 32 GB - G Skill Trident GTRS (15-15-15-30 @2050 T2)
SSD/NVME: GIGABYTE GP-AG41TB 1TB
CASE: CaseLabs SM8
GPU: Radeon RX 6900 XT - XFX Merc 319
CPU COOLER: Thermalright Frost Comander 140
Full Rig Info

I wouldn't delid it just based on the fact the CPU has a high failure rate and once delidded there is no way Intel would honour a replacement.

• Respect 1
  • Agreed 2

£3000

Owned

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D
MOTHERBOARD: MSI Meg Ace X670E
RAM: Corsair Dominator Titanium 64GB (6000MT/s)
GPU: EVGA 3090 FTW Ultra Gaming
SSD/NVME: Corsair MP700 Pro SE Gen 5 4TB
PSU: EVGA Supernova T2 1600Watt
CASE: be quiet Dark Base Pro 900 Rev 2
FANS: Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC x 6
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: Intel Core i5 8500
RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) Kingston 2666Mhz
SSD/NVME: 256GB Samsung NVMe
NETWORK: HP 561T 10Gbe (Intel X540 T2)
MOTHERBOARD: Proprietry
GPU: Intel UHD Graphics 630
PSU: 90Watt
CASE: HP EliteDesk 800 G4 SFF
Full Rig Info

£3000

Owned

CPU: 2 x Xeon|E5-2696-V4 (44C/88T)
RAM: 128GB|16 x 8GB - DDR4 2400MHz (2Rx8)
MOTHERBOARD: HP Z840|Intel C612 Chipset
GPU: Nvidia Quadro P2200
HDD: 4x 16TB Toshiba MG08ACA16TE Enterprise
SSD/NVME: Intel 512GB 670p NVMe (Main OS)
SSD/NVME 2: 2x WD RED 1TB NVMe (VM's)
SSD/NVME 3: 2x Seagate FireCuda 1TB SSD's (Apps)
Full Rig Info

Thanks E. I will probably do it as recomended, its becomming interesting...

• Respect 2

NoBodyKnow

Owned

Full Rig Info

13 hours ago, Memmento Mori said:

Thanks E. I will probably do it as recomended, its becomming interesting...

Thanks, I have actually been waiting for GN to release this video as they eluded to some theories based on insider information they received. Will have to sit back and watch this later. 

If it were me and I had a CPU from the affected series, I would be bummed out.

£3000

Owned

Full Rig Info

Owned

Full Rig Info

£3000

Owned

Full Rig Info

This is a continuation of the Unreal Engine 5 issue that was popping up with Intel processors.  So far the only thing that has been alluded to is that mobo manufactures were running the chips above power spec.  Wendell seems to think there's more to it than that.

My 13700k is unstable with C6 and C7 power states enabled.  It hard freezes quite often.  Problem is non-existent when they are disabled in the bios options.  I discovered this after playing with GNS3 virtualization software.  The instability had me reinstalling windows before I realized I'd changed the bios power states.  I had planned to under volt this chip but never got around to it, in my lazy fix, intel power profile has always been enabled. 

I'm in this weird limbo where I don't want it to be a problem because I don't want to figure out a replacement.  I'd probably switch to AMD platform, which means changing my motherboard.  There's another part of me that says I'm way better off dealing with this now than 4 years after I've purchased it when the warranty is gone. 

Well ill wait what they figure out. I was having this problems like games crashing, but thought that my undervolt and clock settings were just unstable and wated to delid it to get a better termal headroom but would be most probably a mistake… well lets see how this develops and if i get somehow my money back i would go to AMD team… would be beneficial with the pcie line spliting for the nvme pcie card :naughty_devil2: 

NoBodyKnow

Owned

Full Rig Info

• Thanks 1

£3000

Owned

Full Rig Info

Owned

Full Rig Info

£3000

Owned

Full Rig Info

45 minutes ago, ENTERPRISE said:

Thanks for sharing. Pulling this from the PR quote:

incorrect voltage requests to the processor

It would be interesting to understand this point more. The level of deviation (average) under different loads. I presume this means any voltage monitoring from software was completely incorrect? As many enthusiasts seem to have instability issues even after lowering voltages from what I've read online. 

Last GN video on the matter seemed to suggest there was possible defects in manufacturing too which if true, this wouldn't fix. Will be interested to hear what happens with that.

As for the voltage, will be interested to hear by how much they are modifying it. If the parts no longer can boost to previously advertised speeds as a result of the update, that will be problematic.

I know @Mr. Fox and @RageSet have been pushing their 13th and 14th gen i9's pretty hard from some Discord talks. Would be interested to hear if either of you have had degradation issues.

• Thanks 2

Showcase

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
GPU: Nvidia RTX 3080 Ti Founders Edition
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB DDR4-3600 (@ 3733 CL14)
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
SSD/NVME: x2 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB
SSD/NVME 2: Crucial MX500 1TB
PSU: Corsair RM1000x
MONITOR: LG 42" C4 OLED
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: E8400, i5-650, i7-870, i7-960, i5-2400, i7-4790k, i9-10900k, i3-13100, i9-13900ks
GPU: many
RAM: Corsair 32GB DDR3-2400 | Oloy Blade 16GB DDR4-3600 | Crucial 16GB DDR5-5600
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS P7P55 WS SC | ASUS Z97 Deluxe | EVGA Z490 Dark | EVGA Z790 Dark Kingpin
SSD/NVME: Samsung 870 Evo 1TB | Inland 1TB Gen 4
PSU: BeQuiet Straight Power 12 1500W
CASE: Cooler Master MasterFrame 700 - bench mode
OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 10 LTSC
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: M1 Pro
RAM: 32GB
SSD/NVME: 1TB
OPERATING SYSTEM: MacOS Sonoma
CASE: Space Grey
Full Rig Info

31 minutes ago, Sir Beregond said:

Last GN video on the matter seemed to suggest there was possible defects in manufacturing too which if true, this wouldn't fix. Will be interested to hear what happens with that.

As for the voltage, will be interested to hear by how much they are modifying it. If the parts no longer can boost to previously advertised speeds as a result of the update, that will be problematic.

I know @Mr. Fox and @RageSet have been pushing their 13th and 14th gen i9's pretty hard from some Discord talks. Would be interested to hear if either of you have had degradation issues.

Intel has unveiled that in 2023, limited production units of 13th gen CPUs were in fact impacted by oxidization issues. Doesn't exclude other factors discussed, alleged by GN's sources but interesting to see how all this pressure has finally made Intel open up. Hope they* set the course right.

Spoiler

Intel statement on via oxidation

Short answer: We can confirm there was a via Oxidation manufacturing issue (addressed back in 2023) but it is not related to the instability issue.

Long answer: We can confirm that the via Oxidation manufacturing issue affected some early Intel Core 13th Gen desktop processors. However, the issue was root caused and addressed with manufacturing improvements and screens in 2023. We have also looked at it from the instability reports on Intel Core 13th Gen desktop processors and the analysis to-date has determined that only a small number of instability reports can be connected to the manufacturing issue.

For the Instability issue, we are delivering a microcode patch which addresses exposure to elevated voltages which is a key element of the Instability issue. We are currently validating the microcode patch to ensure the instability issues for 13th/14th Gen are addressed. - Intel representative via Reddit.

Edited by Slaughtahouse
  • Thanks 1

intel meeeeh 🙄

NoBodyKnow

Owned

Full Rig Info

On 23/07/2024 at 07:53, Slaughtahouse said:

Thanks for sharing. Pulling this from the PR quote:

incorrect voltage requests to the processor

It would be interesting to understand this point more. The level of deviation (average) under different loads. I presume this means any voltage monitoring from software was completely incorrect? As many enthusiasts seem to have instability issues even after lowering voltages from what I've read online. 

Hwinfo64 shows my 13700k Vcore jumping to 1.35.  I believe this is correct.  Other users have reported theirs jumping as high as 1.4.  I looked into it when I first noticed it, but it appeared to be the standard behavior for the chip.

Premium Platinum

...close call for AMD Ryzen 9k ?

Owned

CPU: CPU: ><.......7950X3D - Aorus X670E Master - 48GB DDR5 7200 (8000) TridentZ SK Hynix - Giga-G-OC/Galax RTX 4090 670W - LG 48 OLED - 4TB NVMEs >< .......5950X - Asus CH 8 Dark Hero - 32GB CL13 DDR4 4000 - AMD R 6900XT 500W - Philips BDM40 4K VA - 2TB NVME & 3TB SSDs >> - <<.......4.4 TR 2950X - MSI X399 Creation - 32 GB CL 14 3866 - Asus RTX 3090 Strix OC/KPin 520W and 2x RTX 2080 Ti Gigabyte XTR WF WB 380W - LG 55 IPS HDR - 1TB NVME & 4TB SSDs
Full Rig Info

18 hours ago, Kaz said:

Hwinfo64 shows my 13700k Vcore jumping to 1.35.  I believe this is correct.  Other users have reported theirs jumping as high as 1.4.  I looked into it when I first noticed it, but it appeared to be the standard behavior for the chip.

I want to believe too but if it's within the microcode or deeper, I'm not so sure what the sensors are reporting and what is being read out by HWiNFO or any software, is correct. 

Hopefully when the update arrives mid August, we'll get more insights. If I were you, run some stress tests and log it in HWiNFO (export the csv) before and after the microcode update. Take those .CSVs, import it into a freeware like Google Sheets, and visualize it to see the difference. 

Using something like ASUS EC VRM VLATCH MAX is going to give you a good idea of what the chip is actually receiving, at least as accurate as you can get without plugging directly into the motherboard with external tools.

I've seen, with stock behavior on a 14900K, on Windows boot with HWINFO64 on Auto-Start, that I will have a VLATCH Max of 1.6x at times.

I highly recommend setting an IA VR Limit that is just barely above your 2-core boost. This corrected that behavior for me. With manual tuning, I did not see this behavior.

On 23/07/2024 at 07:57, Sir Beregond said:

I have no issues of any kind with my 13th and 14th Gen CPUs. Excluding the use of Atom cores (which breaks AVX functionality) they are the best processors I have ever owned, hands down. I wouldn't want to own anything else as an alternative, Intel or AMD. All three of my LGA-1700 desktops are overclocked 24/7. I think the issues people are having are due to using eTVB (or PBO if you are an AMD fan) and allowing the two preferred cores to boost to the moon with crazy voltage and using adaptive voltage that allows wild swings and spikes. I overclock the way I always have. Sync all cores and set static (manual) voltage at the value needed for stability. My VID and Vcore are close to the same and I run very high LLC so that idle and load have minimal change. The gamerboy approach to overclocking with massive undervolting and manipulating LLC has never been a good approach in my opinion.

If I were going to complain about anything with my LGA-1700 CPUs it would be the use of Atom cores instead of just adding more normal performance cores. These CPUs perform wonderfully, but they would be even more awesome with more performance cores with hyperthreading and AVX in lieu of the "efficient" (i.e. weaker) Atom cores that lack hyperthreading and AVX functionality.

I do not care for this person. His potty mouth and self-aggrandizing behavior is over the top. But, that said, more often than not I agree with him. If you haven't seen it, watch this video. It applies to Intel and AMD. In my opinion it is the only "right" way to overclock. And, it can make a degraded CPU stable again. The degraded CPU is really no different than a brand new silicon lottery loser that requires more than desirable voltage. No need to worry if you do it this way. This is one of his better "how-to" videos. If you do it from day one (sync all cores and set static voltage) you will likely never see degradation unless you go crazy with high voltage and cook the CPU with insane thermals. Doing that will kill any Intel or AMD CPU, or GPU.

Edited by Mr. Fox
  • Thanks 2
  • Respect 1
  • Great Idea 1
  • Agreed 1

Owned

CPU: Intel Core i9-14900KF - Bare Die
MOTHERBOARD: ASUSTeK ROG Maximum Z790 Apex
RAM: G.SKILL Trident Z5 48GB DDR5 @ 8600 - On Water
GPU: MSI RTX 4090 Suprim-X + Byski Block
PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower GF3 1650W
SSD/NVME: NVMe x9 (11TB), SATA SSD x1 (1TB), HDD x1 (4TB)
CPU COOLER: MO-RA 360, D5 x4, 5 Gal Reservoir, Hailea HC-500A
CASE: Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL EVO
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: Intel Core i9-13900KS - Bare Die
MOTHERBOARD: ASUSTeK ROG Maximum Z790 Apex Encore
GPU: Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC + Alphacool Block
PSU: Corsair RM1200x Shift
SSD/NVME: NVMe x8 (11.5TB), SATA SSD x2 (3TB), HDD x1 (2TB)
CPU COOLER: Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 1080 Nova, D5 x2
CASE: be quiet! Dark Base Pro 901
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: Intel Core i9-14900K - Delidded
MOTHERBOARD: MSI MPG Z790i Edge WiFi (ITX)
RAM: G.SKILL Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 @ 8000
GPU: ASROCK Arc A770 Phantom Gaming OC
PSU: GameMax 850W Gold ARGB
SSD/NVME: NVMe x3 (4TB), SATA SSD x4 (4TB)
CPU COOLER: EK Nucleus CR360 Dark AIO
CASE: ASUS Prime AP201 Micro Tower TG
Full Rig Info

Thanks for sharing, did the recomended settings and looks good so far. Have to test it a bit more but looks like a good way to as well test the coolers finally and after the deliding… thanks for sharing and if you have any other advice please share.

• Agreed 1

NoBodyKnow

Owned

Full Rig Info

On 25/07/2024 at 11:08, Mr. Fox said:

I have no issues of any kind with my 13th and 14th Gen CPUs. Excluding the use of Atom cores (which breaks AVX functionality) they are the best processors I have ever owned, hands down. I wouldn't want to own anything else as an alternative, Intel or AMD. All three of my LGA-1700 desktops are overclocked 24/7. I think the issues people are having are due to using eTVB (or PBO if you are an AMD fan) and allowing the two preferred cores to boost to the moon with crazy voltage and using adaptive voltage that allows wild swings and spikes. I overclock the way I always have. Sync all cores and set static (manual) voltage at the value needed for stability. My VID and Vcore are close to the same and I run very high LLC so that idle and load have minimal change. The gamerboy approach to overclocking with massive undervolting and manipulating LLC has never been a good approach in my opinion.

If I were going to complain about anything with my LGA-1700 CPUs it would be the use of Atom cores instead of just adding more normal performance cores. These CPUs perform wonderfully, but they would be even more awesome with more performance cores with hyperthreading and AVX in lieu of the "efficient" (i.e. weaker) Atom cores that lack hyperthreading and AVX functionality.

I do not care for this person. His potty mouth and self-aggrandizing behavior is over the top. But, that said, more often than not I agree with him. If you haven't seen it, watch this video. It applies to Intel and AMD. In my opinion it is the only "right" way to overclock. And, it can make a degraded CPU stable again. The degraded CPU is really no different than a brand new silicon lottery loser that requires more than desirable voltage. No need to worry if you do it this way. This is one of his better "how-to" videos. If you do it from day one (sync all cores and set static voltage) you will likely never see degradation unless you go crazy with high voltage and cook the CPU with insane thermals. Doing that will kill any Intel or AMD CPU, or GPU.

Thanks for sharing and I really agree with this approach as well. I do wonder sometimes about my 5900X using PBO, but seems to work fine. Static OC I almost have the same issue as P vs E core where I can easily all core 4.7Ghz on my first 6 cores (1st ccd/ccx), but the 2nd set of 6 cores does better at 4.5GHz (2nd ccd/ccx). The first ccd is definitely much better binned on my cpu. Benching I have gotten 4.8GHz all core to work on the first ccd, but it's not stable there.

As for my 13900KS, I really appreciated your advice on Discord and videos. Overclocking felt a lot simpler on say my old 4790k and to say I was overwhelmed with all the options available in my Z790 Dark for the 13900KS would be an understatement.

I look forward to playing around with it more.

As for the Atom cores, would have definitely been interesting if they did a SKU that ditched those to either be a 10 or 12 Performance core part. I wonder if that was just using too much power and was too hot.

Edited by Sir Beregond
  • Agreed 2

Showcase

Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: E8400, i5-650, i7-870, i7-960, i5-2400, i7-4790k, i9-10900k, i3-13100, i9-13900ks
RAM: Corsair 32GB DDR3-2400 | Oloy Blade 16GB DDR4-3600 | Crucial 16GB DDR5-5600
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS P7P55 WS SC | ASUS Z97 Deluxe | EVGA Z490 Dark | EVGA Z790 Dark Kingpin
Full Rig Info

Owned

Full Rig Info

On 27/07/2024 at 12:07, Sir Beregond said:

Thanks for sharing and I really agree with this approach as well. I do wonder sometimes about my 5900X using PBO, but seems to work fine. Static OC I almost have the same issue as P vs E core where I can easily all core 4.7Ghz on my first 6 cores (1st ccd/ccx), but the 2nd set of 6 cores does better at 4.5GHz (2nd ccd/ccx). The first ccd is definitely much better binned on my cpu. Benching I have gotten 4.8GHz all core to work on the first ccd, but it's not stable there.

As for my 13900KS, I really appreciated your advice on Discord and videos. Overclocking felt a lot simpler on say my old 4790k and to say I was overwhelmed with all the options available in my Z790 Dark for the 13900KS would be an understatement.

I look forward to playing around with it more.

As for the Atom cores, would have definitely been interesting if they did a SKU that ditched those to either be a 10 or 12 Performance core part. I wonder if that was just using too much power and was too hot.

I am pretty much in line with @Mr. Fox While in my reviews I allow my Asus Z690 motherboard to run crazy for an "out of box" experience, for everyday usage or overlocking, I manually set everything. With that said, I wouldn't recommend the 14900K/KS or 13900K/KS for novice PC users or gamers. These CPUs are for tinkerers with time on their hands and a whole lot of cooling. 

• Agreed 1

Owned

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5900X
MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte X570 AORUS XTREME (rev. 1.2)
RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE LPX 4000MT (4x8)
GPU: ASROCK Formula RX 6900 XT
SSD/NVME: 2TB SSD x2
OPERATING SYSTEM: Dual Boot - Windows/Linux
OTHER: Custom Loop
CASE: Lian Li 011D XL
Full Rig Info

A powerful CPU is not necessary for gaming. The GPU is more important. As long as the CPU is not so weak that it becomes a bottleneck, it really doesn't matter that much. And, if gaming at 4K isn't something that is important, you don't even need a beast GPU. You can have a decent gaming experience at 1080p or 1440p with an inexpensive midrange GPU.

Heck, I have been playing games the past couple of days on a Xeon E5-1680 V2 (8C/16T) X79 CPU overclocked to 4.7GHz with DDR3-2400 paired with a first generation Titan Black 6GB GPU and it does fine as long as I run medium to high settings (not Very High or Ultra) and keep the resolution at 1440p or less. No issues at if the game doesn't insist upon having the latest cancer OS and the newest video drivers. Very respectable experience.

Edited by Mr. Fox

Owned

CPU: Intel Core i9-14900KF - Bare Die
MOTHERBOARD: ASUSTeK ROG Maximum Z790 Apex
GPU: MSI RTX 4090 Suprim-X + Byski Block
PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower GF3 1650W
SSD/NVME: NVMe x9 (11TB), SATA SSD x1 (1TB), HDD x1 (4TB)
CPU COOLER: MO-RA 360, D5 x4, 5 Gal Reservoir, Hailea HC-500A
CASE: Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL EVO
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: Intel Core i9-13900KS - Bare Die
MOTHERBOARD: ASUSTeK ROG Maximum Z790 Apex Encore
GPU: Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC + Alphacool Block
PSU: Corsair RM1200x Shift
SSD/NVME: NVMe x8 (11.5TB), SATA SSD x2 (3TB), HDD x1 (2TB)
CPU COOLER: Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 1080 Nova, D5 x2
CASE: be quiet! Dark Base Pro 901
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: Intel Core i9-14900K - Delidded
MOTHERBOARD: MSI MPG Z790i Edge WiFi (ITX)
RAM: G.SKILL Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 @ 8000
GPU: ASROCK Arc A770 Phantom Gaming OC
PSU: GameMax 850W Gold ARGB
SSD/NVME: NVMe x3 (4TB), SATA SSD x4 (4TB)
CPU COOLER: EK Nucleus CR360 Dark AIO
CASE: ASUS Prime AP201 Micro Tower TG
Full Rig Info

3 hours ago, Mr. Fox said:

A powerful CPU is not necessary for gaming. The GPU is more important. As long as the CPU is not so weak that it becomes a bottleneck, it really doesn't matter that much. And, if gaming at 4K isn't something that is important, you don't even need a beast GPU. You can have a decent gaming experience at 1080p or 1440p with an inexpensive midrange GPU.

Heck, I have been playing games the past couple of days on a Xeon E5-1680 V2 (8C/16T) X79 CPU overclocked to 4.7GHz with DDR3-2400 paired with a first generation Titan Black 6GB GPU and it does fine as long as I run medium to high settings (not Very High or Ultra) and keep the resolution at 1440p or less. No issues at if the game doesn't insist upon having the latest cancer OS and the newest video drivers. Very respectable experience.

Absolutely. I was perfectly happy with my 4790k and GTX 980 until I upgraded off of 1080p.

• Thanks 1
  • Agreed 1

Showcase

Full Rig Info

Owned

Full Rig Info

Owned

Full Rig Info

Premium Platinum
7 minutes ago, Sir Beregond said:

Absolutely. I was perfectly happy with my 4790k and GTX 980 until I upgraded off of 1080p.

These days:

intel_degrad1b.thumb.jpg.d54a487ff7a9a9560f9938ad6081a6b5.jpg

Good ol' days 🤭

4790K_5point6_giggles.thumb.jpg.814a735c6b9bebd019ca22463fc33cac.jpg

• Respect 1

Owned

CPU: CPU: ><.......7950X3D - Aorus X670E Master - 48GB DDR5 7200 (8000) TridentZ SK Hynix - Giga-G-OC/Galax RTX 4090 670W - LG 48 OLED - 4TB NVMEs >< .......5950X - Asus CH 8 Dark Hero - 32GB CL13 DDR4 4000 - AMD R 6900XT 500W - Philips BDM40 4K VA - 2TB NVME & 3TB SSDs >> - <<.......4.4 TR 2950X - MSI X399 Creation - 32 GB CL 14 3866 - Asus RTX 3090 Strix OC/KPin 520W and 2x RTX 2080 Ti Gigabyte XTR WF WB 380W - LG 55 IPS HDR - 1TB NVME & 4TB SSDs
Full Rig Info

11 hours ago, J7SC_Orion said:

These days:

intel_degrad1b.thumb.jpg.d54a487ff7a9a9560f9938ad6081a6b5.jpg

Good ol' days 🤭

4790K_5point6_giggles.thumb.jpg.814a735c6b9bebd019ca22463fc33cac.jpg

Wow - nice OC with the chiller!

• Thanks 1

Showcase

Full Rig Info

Owned

Full Rig Info

Owned

Full Rig Info

Thought I'd give an update on the RMA processes for anyone wondering.

Initially intel requested the following information when filling out a RMA request.

• Can you describe the issue more to us?
  • Was this working before or a newly integrated system?
  • Did you make recent changes to the system?
  • Have you performed other troubleshooting steps?
  • Was the processor purchased less than 30 days ago?
  • Did you overclock the processor?
  • What power scheme are you currently running? You can find this option at Control Panel -> Power Options. The power schemes include: Balanced, Power saver, High Performance, or Ultimate Performance.
  • To expedite warranty requests, provide the serial number (ATPO) found on the processor markings and shipping box

I included all the above information in the initial request, so I didn't respond to their follow up request that requested the same information.  This resulted in them closing the case 5 (3 business) days later.  When I followed up with them by providing the information they reopened their case and directed me to this webpage.

COMMUNITY.INTEL.COM

Intel and its partners are continuing to investigate user reports regarding instability issues on Intel Core 13th and 14th generation (K/KF/KS)...

These are the recommended power specs for anyone running an intel processor.  It is recommended to adjust your motherboard settings appropriately.  Intel has said they will follow up with me in a month to see if those changes make a difference.

(Spoiler alert, it's not going to help.)  My motherboard has had Intel stock power limits enforced from the beginning.  The moment I re-enable all my c-state power settings, it's going to freeze within 20 minutes.  The extra time Intel has requested will allow me to see AMD 9000 reviews and decide what to do from there.  I'm curious how the 9900x preforms against the 7900X3D.  I'm very concerned that a 14700K replacement will only add more cores and create a bigger ring bus voltage problem.  I don't want to buy a new AMD motherboard, but I don't want a faulty processor in the next 4 years even more. 

Just a side note for anyone else dealing with this, intel replacements do not reset the warranty time.  The last time I went through intel RMA for an SSD, the SSD was replaced and the replacement died 1 1/2 years later.  If given the option between replacement and refund, always choose refund.  You can buy a replacement and get a new warranty with it. 

• Thanks 1
  • Respect 2