Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, register to take part in our community, don't worry this is a simple FREE process that requires minimal information for you to signup.

Registered users can: 

• Start new topics and reply to others.
  • Show off your PC using our Rig Creator feature.
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get updates.
  • Get your own profile page to customize.
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.
  • Upgrade to Premium to unlock additional sites features.
IGNORED

[TECHRADAR] PC gamers rejoice: PlayStation 5 won't be as powerful as an Nvidia RTX 2080

Not surprising, but it does seem that the PS5 will be a good step up from the previous gen. Perhaps this will mean better ports from console to PC. Then again we have been saying that for a fair few generations now and some of the ports are still appauling.

PC gamers rejoice: PlayStation 5 won't be as powerful as an Nvidia RTX 2080 | TechRadar

£3000

Owned

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D
MOTHERBOARD: MSI Meg Ace X670E
RAM: Corsair Dominator Titanium 64GB (6000MT/s)
GPU: EVGA 3090 FTW Ultra Gaming
SSD/NVME: Corsair MP700 Pro SE Gen 5 4TB
PSU: EVGA Supernova T2 1600Watt
CASE: be quiet Dark Base Pro 900 Rev 2
FANS: Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC x 6
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: Intel Core i5 8500
RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) Kingston 2666Mhz
SSD/NVME: 256GB Samsung NVMe
NETWORK: HP 561T 10Gbe (Intel X540 T2)
MOTHERBOARD: Proprietry
GPU: Intel UHD Graphics 630
PSU: 90Watt
CASE: HP EliteDesk 800 G4 SFF
Full Rig Info

£3000

Owned

CPU: 2 x Xeon|E5-2696-V4 (44C/88T)
RAM: 128GB|16 x 8GB - DDR4 2400MHz (2Rx8)
MOTHERBOARD: HP Z840|Intel C612 Chipset
GPU: Nvidia Quadro P2200
HDD: 4x 16TB Toshiba MG08ACA16TE Enterprise
SSD/NVME: Intel 512GB 670p NVMe (Main OS)
SSD/NVME 2: 2x WD RED 1TB NVMe (VM's)
SSD/NVME 3: 2x Seagate FireCuda 1TB SSD's (Apps)
Full Rig Info

Premium Platinum - Lifetime

Kind of expected. I don't ever see Sony going with the same model as the PS3 ever again. Having an affordable console that's as powerful as some of the most powerful PC hardware of the time is definitely nice, but it doesn't make sense business-wise. It took Sony 5 years to break even with the PS3. I'm sure it was a similar story with the Xbox 360 for Microsoft. Not forgetting the nightmare that was RROD due to overheating.

At the same time I do see the hardware being a step up this time around. The PS4 (and Xbox One) were very weak at launch. AFAIK, this generation is the first time there's ever been a new version of the same console released with more powerful hardware from two different companies just to keep up with the better graphics demand. Now VR is starting to become more mainstream as well with the recent launch of the Valve Index, Oculus Rift S and soon to be launched Vive Cosmos. I'm sure there'll be a VR demand from the console gamers, especially considering the success of the PSVR.

I'm expecting the successor of both the PS4 and Xbox One to have hardware around that's about as powerful as an AMD R5 3600 for the CPU and RTX 2060 Super for the GPU.

Owned

CPU: i7 9570H
GPU: AMD 5300m
RAM: 16GB
SSD/NVME: 512GB
OPERATING SYSTEM: macOS Sonoma
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: 5800X
GPU: RTX 2070
RAM: 32GB
SSD/NVME: 500GB 960 Evo
SSD/NVME 2: 1TB 860 Evo
SSD/NVME 3: 1TB 860 Evo
PSU: EVGA 650w Modular
OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 11
Full Rig Info

That sounds reasonable to me. I would imagine that the PS5/Xbox Scarlett would have the power of the RTX 2060, though it would be AMD,s equivalent as both the next gen consoles are confirmed to be sporting AMD's Navi GPU.

In order to keep production costs down, I reckon they will not go too high of a spec overall, that being said though, they may choose to shoot for the stars a little this gen. I only say that due to the fact (and as you stated) Sony and MS both launched newer improved versions of the PS4 and Xbox one in order to keep up. We all know the additional R&D to do that will have cost them. So why not give the next console an extra leap of power ? This would at least mean that for each gen of console we go back to 1 version each cycle which frankly is more cost effective and leads to less product fragmentation.

Having a generation of consoles with differing specs will not please game developers, so it makes even more sense to stick to one spec set.

Ultimately this is why I think the next gen will have a much beefier spec than usual, not quite a gamer PC, but not a million miles away.

£3000

Owned

Full Rig Info

Owned

Full Rig Info

£3000

Owned

Full Rig Info

Gee, the new $400-500 Console does not have the same graphics horsepower as a $550-750 Desktop GPU.

Yeah not fond of this article. It has been an industry standard that hardware performance is sacrificed in order to lower the console price to an acceptable level, in order to get the console into more people's homes. Not really a whole lot more to say about that lol.

$3818.71

Owned

CPU: i7-10700
CPU COOLER: be quiet! Pure Rock Slim
MOTHERBOARD: Asus ROG STRIX B460-I GAMING
RAM: Kingston Fury 2x8GB 15-16-16-32
SSD/NVME: Samsung 950 Pro 512GB
SSD/NVME 2: Samsung 970 Evo 1TB
GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2070 Mini ITX
CASE: Lian Li PC-TU100 (Modded)
Full Rig Info

Not surprising, but it does seem that the PS5 will be a good step up from the previous gen. Perhaps this will mean better ports from console to PC. Then again we have been saying that for a fair few generations now and some of the ports are still appauling.

Lol yeah I've been hearing news sites 'report' this since the dawn of times. At the end of the day, as long as computers continue to be way more powerful than they 'need' to be to run their game, they'll just laze it around. No point in investing resources optimising something when it'll work anyway.

Lol yeah I've been hearing news sites 'report' this since the dawn of times. At the end of the day, as long as computers continue to be way more powerful than they 'need' to be to run their game, they'll just laze it around. No point in investing resources optimising something when it'll work anyway.

Yeah I think we will be living with that type of fragmentation for a long while :(

£3000

Owned

Full Rig Info

Owned

Full Rig Info

£3000

Owned

Full Rig Info