Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, register to take part in our community, don't worry this is a simple FREE process that requires minimal information for you to signup.

Registered users can: 

• Start new topics and reply to others.
  • Show off your PC using our Rig Creator feature.
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get updates.
  • Get your own profile page to customize.
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.
  • Upgrade to Premium to unlock additional sites features.
IGNORED

PS3 IHS Thermal Compound Replacement by NSC Modz

ENTERPRISE

Hello all.

So I wanted to share a recent experience I had with NCS Modz. First a little history........

My PS3 Slim was running incredibly hot and loud, so loud I could barely hear the game over the fan noise. Due to my inexperience with PS3 over heating issues, I figured it required new thermal compound between the IHS and the heatsink, WRONG. Upon realising that my PS3 was no better off, I did some research and found that the thermal compound Sony uses between the CPU/GPU die and the IHS is rubbish (lets face it though, most stock things are :p).

In fact it was so bad that the thermal compound had all but disintegrated into nothing ! No wonder the PS3 was in dire shape.

So I decided it was time to remove the IHS and attempt a re-paste. I went looking for a guide, this is where I came across NSC Modz. I found the below IHS removal video which you can watch below, honestly this is the most thorough video I found on the topic.

After watching the video, it was time to attempt my own IHS removal. All went so well with the GPU, but not so great with the CPU IHS which is actually the much harder one to be removed due to spacing. Unfortunately during my attempt, my tool (now better perfected) dug into the CPU traces...ultimately turning the board into a brick...bugger. This is no reflection on the guide, but shows that my tool was not quite right when I attempted this. You can see the shame below.

37ab465d87f1.jpg

It was at this point...it was time for a new PS3. The only issue is that my PS3 was jailbroken with a custom firmware (Rebug) that unlocked so many other possibilities for the console. No way was I going back to stock. Fortunately NSC Modz lists a contact number on his YouTube page, so gave it a shot.

After some conversation, he had a PS3 that was already jailbroken and had already had the thermal compound replaced between the IHS and die, brilliant !. He was very accommodating in all my needs and kept me up to date all the way ! He was even able to go to his local store and pick up the 1TB SSD I wanted for the PS3. I could not have asked for a better or smoother experience. Due to his fantastic service, I felt compelled to create this experience thread promoting his services.

I created a few videos showing my experience after receiving the PS3 from NSC Modz. Apologies in advance as these videos were taken on my phone in not fantastic light conditions.

The Unboxing

PS3 Non Load Temps

[video=youtube_share;_wLWXdn6w-0]

PS3 Load Temps (Gameplay)

[video=youtube_share;3e6gqR0gL-g]

In closing, NSC Modz provides a quick,thorough and friendly service. I would encourage you to take a look at his YouTube Channel that has a wealth of informative and How To videos. If you want to purchase any services from NSC Modz, note that while he resides in Germany that he ships internationally.

All the best,

E

Edited by ENTERPRISE

£3000

Owned

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D
MOTHERBOARD: MSI Meg Ace X670E
RAM: Corsair Dominator Titanium 64GB (6000MT/s)
GPU: EVGA 3090 FTW Ultra Gaming
SSD/NVME: Corsair MP700 Pro Gen 5 2TB
PSU: EVGA Supernova T2 1600Watt
CASE: be quiet Dark Base Pro 900 Rev 2
FANS: Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC x 6
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: Intel Core i5 8500
RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) Kingston 2666Mhz
SSD/NVME: 256GB Samsung NVMe
NETWORK: HP 561T 10Gbe (Intel X540 T2)
MOTHERBOARD: Proprietry
GPU: Intel UHD Graphics 630
PSU: 90Watt
CASE: HP EliteDesk 800 G4 SFF
Full Rig Info

£3000

Owned

CPU: 2 x Xeon|E5-2696-V4 (44C/88T)
RAM: 128GB|16 x 8GB - DDR4 2400MHz (2Rx8)
MOTHERBOARD: HP Z840|Intel C612 Chipset
GPU: Nvidia Quadro P2200
HDD: 4x 16TB Toshiba MG08ACA16TE Enterprise
SSD/NVME: Intel 512GB 670p NVMe (Main OS)
SSD/NVME 2: Samsung 1TB 980 NVMe (VM's)
SSD/NVME 3: 2x Seagate FireCuda 1TB SSD's (Apps)
Full Rig Info

Released.

£3000

Owned

Full Rig Info

Owned

Full Rig Info

£3000

Owned

Full Rig Info

Forum Moderators
1.1k 495

It's a shame these PS3s don't have the backwards compatibility of the first few PS3s. Those had actual PS2 hardware in, I believe they could play PS1 games as well because of it. The newer PS3s only had backwards compatibility with the PS1 through software emulation.

Owned

CPU: i7 9570H
GPU: AMD 5300m
RAM: 16GB
SSD/NVME: 512GB
OPERATING SYSTEM: macOS Sonoma
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: 5800X
GPU: RTX 2070
RAM: 32GB
SSD/NVME: 500GB 960 Evo
SSD/NVME 2: 1TB 860 Evo
SSD/NVME 3: 1TB 860 Evo
PSU: EVGA 650w Modular
OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 11
Full Rig Info

It's a shame these PS3s don't have the backwards compatibility of the first few PS3s. Those had actual PS2 hardware in, I believe they could play PS1 games as well because of it. The newer PS3s only had backwards compatibility with the PS1 through software emulation.

Actually the PS3 Slim can play PS2 Games. Some have official support and run very well, some do not have official support and can run so so, so far I have not run into any ugly emulation issues with the PS2 games thus far. I do believe that the jailbreak adds better emulation support for the PS2 titles over the official firmware, in fact as I write this I can see that it does :

Software (SW) Emulation:Support for PS2 ISOs in non BC consoles was removed in Cobra 4.30 (usb), due tops2_softemu missing. It has been re-enabled now by hacking of ps2_netemu. You can use it in the same way as before, just load an ISO and launch from disc icon, Cobra core takes care of rest. No need for encrypted isos, isos patched with limg sectors, etc. Just your normal PS2 isos dumped from discs. However, there is NO SUPPORT for Optical Discs in PS2_NETEMU.

Note 1: Don’t forget to set the memory cards in XMB, in the old memory card utility for PS/PS2, as ps2_netemu won’t let you assign them in game.

as long as you use the new ps2 launcher.Note 2: Decrypted Config can now be used , place the CONFIG file in the same game path. An example below :

dev_hdd0/PS2ISO/God of WAR2.ISO

dev_hdd0/PS2ISO/God of WAR2.ISO.CONFIG

Decrypted CONFIG files are available via PSDEVWIKI

Source: https://rebug.me/official-rebug-4-85...oct-27th-2019/

This will explain why I have no issues as I ripped the ISO's of my games to the internal SSD

Honestly a PS3 with the Rebug firmware (Read up on it) is amazing to be honest. I am fond of the old classics, so I am still keen on the PS3 as I can play all my classic games up to PS3 where if I am honest, that's where some of my favorites kind of stopped lol.

£3000

Owned

Full Rig Info

Owned

Full Rig Info

£3000

Owned

Full Rig Info

Forum Moderators
1.1k 495

Oh, that wasn't a thing when I had my PS3 Slim. Putting in a PS2 disc just gave an error. But either way, I do think getting aftermarket TIM would be a good idea for any PS3. Even when my PS3 Slim was brand new, it ran really hot.

Owned

Full Rig Info

Owned

Full Rig Info

Oh, that wasn't a thing when I had my PS3 Slim. Putting in a PS2 disc just gave an error. But either way, I do think getting aftermarket TIM would be a good idea for any PS3. Even when my PS3 Slim was brand new, it ran really hot.

Yeah those were the dark days when the Sony overlords limited the potential of the console, these days the sky is the limit really. Yeah aftermarket TIM is a must on any PS3 if you want to prevent the YLOD or a super loud console.

£3000

Owned

Full Rig Info

Owned

Full Rig Info

£3000

Owned

Full Rig Info

Ahh I didn't know you still played with PS3s. I still bang on my PS3s with rebug almost every night.. I've done the IHS removal quite a few times -- I use a painters knife kit I bought years ago specifically to delid CECHA01-E01 phats, which was pretty much the "official" way of doing it. Maybe one of these days I'll record my process after having done it so many times. I have destroyed a few myself, it's a tough delid...

For OG phats with the PS2 emotion engine on board, it's an absolute must for their survival. They'll just plain cook until YLOD without a delidding.. I cringe at people paying $100-200 for them on ebay knowing full well those systems won't live long.. definitely recommend buying like E did if you don't want to risk the delid.

I too use later model systems with rebug & PS2 ISOs... Really NO need for the OG phats anymore.. Much easier to just buy a PS2 at that point (FCMB + ISOs on those are super easy now, and 1080P upscaling is available ON REAL PS2s!!!)

I hate early 90nm systems minus the few bucks they make me from time to time delidding them so the fan doesn't run at 600%.. if you want PS3 phats just for the look of them, get a CECHL01

mmmmmm console rants

Nice tats E :p

Forum Moderators
1.1k 495
Ahh I didn't know you still played with PS3s. I still bang on my PS3s with rebug almost every night.. I've done the IHS removal quite a few times -- I use a painters knife kit I bought years ago specifically to delid CECHA01-E01 phats, which was pretty much the "official" way of doing it. Maybe one of these days I'll record my process after having done it so many times. I have destroyed a few myself, it's a tough delid...

For OG phats with the PS2 emotion engine on board, it's an absolute must for their survival. They'll just plain cook until YLOD without a delidding.. I cringe at people paying $100-200 for them on ebay knowing full well those systems won't live long.. definitely recommend buying like E did if you don't want to risk the delid.

I too use later model systems with rebug & PS2 ISOs... Really NO need for the OG phats anymore.. Much easier to just buy a PS2 at that point (FCMB + ISOs on those are super easy now, and 1080P upscaling is available ON REAL PS2s!!!)

I hate early 90nm systems minus the few bucks they make me from time to time delidding them so the fan doesn't run at 600%.. if you want PS3 phats just for the look of them, get a CECHL01

mmmmmm console rants

The issue with the OG PS3s is the terrible solder that would melt, they were manufactured at a time when the EU said no more lead solder, it's not an issue specifically for the PS3, I believe the OG 360 RROD issues were also caused by this. It's not just game consoles either, any electronics that ran hot back then had the same issue. If you're good with a soldering iron and you use modern solder, you can fix them pretty easily.

Owned

Full Rig Info

Owned

Full Rig Info

mmmmmm console rants

Haha cheers, The Tats keep me STRONG lol.

Yeah the old Phats while fantastic so far as the hardware support were a bomb waiting to...well...melt. I remember my original PS3 Phat, that thing no word of a lie, when Folding (Back when PS3's were the best thing since sliced bread for F@H) would run like an oven. Honestly in winter you could just switch off the heating and let that thing whir away.

Aside from the heat and the fact that Sony used a really poo TIM, the solder as @Andrew eluded to was soo poor back then so YLOD's were almost expected. Though I will say that the Xbox 360 while using the same solder (most likely) in my opinion had it worse, but I think that was possible due to the design of the mounting/retention mechanism.

As you say though, with the emulation being pretty decent these days from Rebug, there is no need to get a Phat, just get yourself a Slim, a model with the newest node. Sony reduced those babies as the PS3 matured from 90/90nm to 45/40nm (CPU/GPU). Though the horrible super slims managed to take it to 45/28nm

I have the 45/40nm build which makes controlling the heat much easier, especially with a TIM replacement.

£3000

Owned

Full Rig Info

Owned

Full Rig Info

£3000

Owned

Full Rig Info

Ah good ole lead free solder and oven reflowing tactics.. I've heard lots of good things about more modern lead free solders though, so that type of crap will hopefully be a thing from the past unless some cheap newfangled soldering technique results in cold joints all over newer consoles..

I'm curious to know what some of your favorite PS3 games are..? Uncharted 2 and Demon's Souls are my prime excuses for never doing away with my PS3..

Ah good ole lead free solder and oven reflowing tactics.. I've heard lots of good things about more modern lead free solders though, so that type of crap will hopefully be a thing from the past unless some cheap newfangled soldering technique results in cold joints all over newer consoles..

I'm curious to know what some of your favorite PS3 games are..? Uncharted 2 and Demon's Souls are my prime excuses for never doing away with my PS3..

The funny thing is that I did not play an awful lot of PS3 games specifically. I actually got the console originally for Metal Gear Solid 4 (being an MGS Fan), I know I did play some of the other Final Fantasy series which I enjoyed. However moreover I got the PS3 for playing some of the old skool classics as well.

£3000

Owned

Full Rig Info

Owned

Full Rig Info

£3000

Owned

Full Rig Info

The funny thing is that I did not play an awful lot of PS3 games specifically. I actually got the console originally for Metal Gear Solid 4 (being an MGS Fan), I know I did play some of the other Final Fantasy series which I enjoyed. However moreover I got the PS3 for playing some of the old skool classics as well.

I also bought the MGS bundle PS3 lol. Wish I had saved the box. Also a huge Metal Gear fan. I need scissors! 61!

I need to play MGS4 again, I haven't played it since before they added trophies.. one of these days I'll go ham and get the platinum in that game... unless there's online trophies which shouldn't be doable anymore.

I also bought the MGS bundle PS3 lol. Wish I had saved the box. Also a huge Metal Gear fan. I need scissors! 61!

I need to play MGS4 again, I haven't played it since before they added trophies.. one of these days I'll go ham and get the platinum in that game... unless there's online trophies which shouldn't be doable anymore.

Yeah I have MGS PS3 Bundle as well, I need to play through the series again from start to finish, but in chronological order of the storyline.

£3000

Owned

Full Rig Info

Owned

Full Rig Info

£3000

Owned

Full Rig Info

Yeah I have MGS PS3 Bundle as well, I need to play through the series again from start to finish, but in chronological order of the storyline.

Speak of the devil himself. I broke out the CECHE-01 MG metal gear PS3 to mess around with and it has yellow lighted.. and to make matters worse, it was so brittle from heat and age that I managed to completely break off the front panel ribbon connector (power on / off / eject) by barely touching it.. That's the end of that sucker, it's had a nice life but it's got so many failure points that it's just not worth touching anymore.

I always wanted to gut it out of the ps3 chassis and put it in an ATX case with some big fans on it to make it last longer, but never got around to it.

Here's a funny one -- I can sell the Blu Ray drive + power supply for the model E01 on ebay for more than enough money to buy a PS3 slim.. LOL

I have a few CECHEL01 phats but I'm going to try to get one of the later 45/40nm slims for the long haul, before they end up becoming collectors items. I don't like the super slims either.

sigh

Speak of the devil himself. I broke out the CECHE-01 MG metal gear PS3 to mess around with and it has yellow lighted.. and to make matters worse, it was so brittle from heat and age that I managed to completely break off the front panel ribbon connector (power on / off / eject) by barely touching it.. That's the end of that sucker, it's had a nice life but it's got so many failure points that it's just not worth touching anymore.

I always wanted to gut it out of the ps3 chassis and put it in an ATX case with some big fans on it to make it last longer, but never got around to it.

Here's a funny one -- I can sell the Blu Ray drive + power supply for the model E01 on ebay for more than enough money to buy a PS3 slim.. LOL

I have a few CECHEL01 phats but I'm going to try to get one of the later 45/40nm slims for the long haul, before they end up becoming collectors items. I don't like the super slims either.

sigh

Man you should so do that, get a 45/40nm Slims and put it in a PC case with silent but awesome airflow. That would make for a fantastic rig mod !

£3000

Owned

Full Rig Info

Owned

Full Rig Info

£3000

Owned

Full Rig Info