Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, register to take part in our community, don't worry this is a simple FREE process that requires minimal information for you to signup.

Registered users can: 

• Start new topics and reply to others.
  • Show off your PC using our Rig Creator feature.
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get updates.
  • Get your own profile page to customize.
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.
  • Upgrade to Premium to unlock additional sites features.
IGNORED

Microsoft takes a not-so-subtle dig at Apple and Google, lays out new Windows Store principles

UltraMega

The Redmond giant says it will always allow competing app stores to operate on Windows alongside the Windows Store. Developers are free to choose their business model and in-app payments system, including cases where content is streamed from the cloud. Apple is notorious for making this very difficult on the App Store, where game streaming services such as xCloud and Stadia would have to go through the trouble of submitting individual games for review and use Apple's in-app payment system.

Source: https://www.techspot.com/news/87036-microsoft-takes-not-subtle-dig-apple-google-lays.html

Shots fired.

On a real note, even though Microsoft has a much smaller app store, I think they're seen today as a much more mature company than apple or Google and they still enjoy the luxury of being able to set the example and define the rules for certain market practices. Hoping this turns into one of those situations.

Owned

CPU: 5800x
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS TUF Gaming B550-Plus
RAM: XMP 3600mhz CL16
GPU: 7900XT
SOUNDCARD: Sound Blaster Z 5.1 home theater
MONITOR: 4K 65 inch TV
Full Rig Info

The Redmond giant says it will always allow competing app stores to operate on Windows alongside the Windows Store.

That's kind of irrelevant as far as MacOS goes anyway.

Microsoft don't have a mobile OS anymore. You can still use third party app stores on MacOS and that's not going to change when Apple has moved 100% over to ARM based hardware. At that point, it's down to the app store developers to make it work. Not sure about ChromeOS though. I've never used it and I don't plan on using it.

When Microsoft did have a mobile OS, it didn't even have an app store, at least not from what I could see. All the apps I had on my windows phone, I downloaded directly from the developers/publishers.

Owned

CPU: i7 9570H
GPU: AMD 5300m
RAM: 16GB
SSD/NVME: 512GB
OPERATING SYSTEM: macOS Sonoma
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: 5800X
GPU: RTX 2070
RAM: 32GB
SSD/NVME: 500GB 960 Evo
SSD/NVME 2: 1TB 860 Evo
SSD/NVME 3: 1TB 860 Evo
PSU: EVGA 650w Modular
OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 11
Full Rig Info

1 hour ago, Andrew said:

That's kind of irrelevant as far as MacOS goes anyway.

Microsoft don't have a mobile OS anymore. You can still use third party app stores on MacOS and that's not going to change when Apple has moved 100% over to ARM based hardware. At that point, it's down to the app store developers to make it work. Not sure about ChromeOS though. I've never used it and I don't plan on using it.

When Microsoft did have a mobile OS, it didn't even have an app store, at least not from what I could see. All the apps I had on my windows phone, I downloaded directly from the developers/publishers.

I had several windows phones and they definitely had an app store. By the end of windows phone, it had all the apps anyone would need, just without the droves of other random apps. It was certainly much smaller than the competition, but it existed and worked well.

Also, technically I think Microsoft does have a mobile OS today on the sense that windows 10 runs on arm now. The new Surface pro x is an arm device IIRC. I'm sure Microsoft will put a sim card reader and a phone app on a device that runs full windows on arm sometime in the next few years. They are already right on the edge of doing that IMO.

Edited by UltraMega

Owned

CPU: 5800x
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS TUF Gaming B550-Plus
RAM: XMP 3600mhz CL16
GPU: 7900XT
SOUNDCARD: Sound Blaster Z 5.1 home theater
MONITOR: 4K 65 inch TV
Full Rig Info