Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, register to take part in our community, don't worry this is a simple FREE process that requires minimal information for you to signup.

Registered users can: 

• Start new topics and reply to others.
  • Show off your PC using our Rig Creator feature.
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get updates.
  • Get your own profile page to customize.
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.
  • Upgrade to Premium to unlock additional sites features.
IGNORED

NVIDIA Allegedly Moving Ampere to 7nm TSMC in 2021

The news reached the web today though DigiTimes. And if true that means that NVIDIA likely will slip towards 7nm wafer die production, as expected for a long time in the first place. What also is possible it that the 'update' product like an RTX 3080 with 20GB or other products like the RTX 3050/3060 in the lineup that has not been released just yet move to that TSMC 7nm node.

DigiTimes states Nvidia has already booked high volume production capacity on TSMC’s 7 nm nodes for 2021. TSMC recently lowered the prices on the 7nm wafers and also mentions the choice is made to spread risk that is yield related.

Source: https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/nvidia-allegedly-moving-ampere-to-7-nm-tsmc-in-2021.html

Wonder if this means the super or Ti versions of the 3000 series will be even better. 

Edited by UltraMega

Owned

CPU: 5800x
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS TUF Gaming B550-Plus
RAM: XMP 3600mhz CL16
GPU: 7900XT
SOUNDCARD: Sound Blaster Z 5.1 home theater
MONITOR: 4K 65 inch TV
Full Rig Info

• UltraMega changed the title to NVIDIA Allegedly Moving Ampere to 7nm TSMC in 2021

Interesting. That would mean it was in development for a long time in parallel with the Samsung 8nm development though. 8nm was really just a refinement of Samsung 10nm so was not like they could just port it over to TSMC 7nm.

If true, it really does feel like Samsung 8nm was a stopgap measure to get to market first even if no one could actually buy one.

Showcase

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
GPU: Nvidia RTX 3080 Ti Founders Edition
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB DDR4-3600 (@ 3733 14-8-14-14-21-35 1T GDM)
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
SSD/NVME: x2 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB
SSD/NVME 2: Crucial MX500 1TB
PSU: Corsair RM1000x
MONITOR: LG 48" C1
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K, Core i9-10900K, Core i3-13100, Core i9-13900KS
GPU: various
RAM: Corsair 32GB DDR3-2400 | Oloy Blade 16GB DDR4-3600 | Crucial 16GB DDR5-5600
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Deluxe | EVGA Z490 Dark | EVGA Z790 Dark Kingpin
SSD/NVME: Samsung 870 Evo 1TB | Inland 1TB Gen 4
PSU: BeQuiet Straight Power 12 1500W
CASE: Cooler Master MasterFrame 700 - bench mode
OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 10 LTSC
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: M1 Pro
RAM: 32GB
SSD/NVME: 1TB
OPERATING SYSTEM: MacOS Sonoma
CASE: Space Grey
Full Rig Info

Samsung 8nm was certainly a stop gap measure just so Nvidia could get the 3000 series out with a view to falling back to TSMC once availability opened up in their schedules. For a few reasons now, certainly seems like you are better off buying a 3000 series card later in the lifecycle once it has matured like a fine wine.

• Thanks 1

£3000

Owned

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D
MOTHERBOARD: MSI Meg Ace X670E
RAM: Corsair Dominator Titanium 64GB (6000MT/s)
GPU: EVGA 3090 FTW Ultra Gaming
SSD/NVME: Corsair MP700 Pro Gen 5 2TB
PSU: EVGA Supernova T2 1600Watt
CASE: be quiet Dark Base Pro 900 Rev 2
FANS: Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC x 6
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: Intel Core i5 8500
RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) Kingston 2666Mhz
SSD/NVME: 256GB Samsung NVMe
NETWORK: HP 561T 10Gbe (Intel X540 T2)
MOTHERBOARD: Proprietry
GPU: Intel UHD Graphics 630
PSU: 90Watt
CASE: HP EliteDesk 800 G4 SFF
Full Rig Info

£3000

Owned

CPU: 2 x Xeon|E5-2696-V4 (44C/88T)
RAM: 128GB|16 x 8GB - DDR4 2400MHz (2Rx8)
MOTHERBOARD: HP Z840|Intel C612 Chipset
GPU: Nvidia Quadro P2200
HDD: 4x 16TB Toshiba MG08ACA16TE Enterprise
SSD/NVME: Intel 512GB 670p NVMe (Main OS)
SSD/NVME 2: Samsung 1TB 980 NVMe (VM's)
SSD/NVME 3: 2x Seagate FireCuda 1TB SSD's (Apps)
Full Rig Info

It may have cost them more than they made in the long run. I have not seen consumers as bitter about video card releases as they were with this one. If AMD comes anywhere close and has availability it won't matter what Nvidia releases in 2021. They'll lose a chunk of market share. 

way too mu

Owned

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
GPU: ASRock 6900XT
MOTHERBOARD: ASRock X570 Steel Legend
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4-3600 PC4-28800 CL16 Dual Channel Desktop Memory Kit F4-3600C16D-32GVKC - Black
PSU: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 1000 W 80+ Gold
SSD/NVME: Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280
SSD/NVME 2: Samsung 850 evo 1TB SATA SSD
CASE: Fractal Torrent ATX Mid tower
Full Rig Info

Interesting. 
I wonder if additional changes will take place because the cards are truly on the limit. 

Not everyone can use water cooling with ice and blow cold air on them with an aircon to keep a stable 2GHz clock. I have a feeling they will also iron out the famous circuitry layout under the GPU. 

With age comes wisdom and I learned the hard way not to buy things as soon as they launch. Today's industry is based on pushing products out and fixing them after. I no longer buy anything unless a few months pass and gremlins are sorted.  I tested too many times on my own money. 

Remember companies had armies of people helping with quality control and assurance, now we do it for them. 

• Thanks 1

€ Press F

Owned

CPU: Rocket Lake 11900K
MOTHERBOARD: MAXIMUS XIII EXTREME GLACIAL
RAM: G-SKILL ROYAL
PSU: DARK POWER PRO 12 - 1200W
GPU: NVIDIA RTX 3080 TI Founder's Edition
SSD/NVME: Samsung 980 PRO (PCIE 4)
SSD/NVME 2: Samsung 980 PRO (PCIE 4)
SSD/NVME 3: WD Black (Courtesy of TicToc!)
Full Rig Info

57 minutes ago, Mistio said:

Interesting. 
I wonder if additional changes will take place because the cards are truly on the limit. 

Not everyone can use water cooling with ice and blow cold air on them with an aircon to keep a stable 2GHz clock. I have a feeling they will also iron out the famous circuitry layout under the GPU. 

With age comes wisdom and I learned the hard way not to buy things as soon as they launch. Today's industry is based on pushing products out and fixing them after. I no longer buy anything unless a few months pass and gremlins are sorted.  I tested too many times on my own money. 

Remember companies had armies of people helping with quality control and assurance, now we do it for them. 

This exactly. Other than my very first GPU, I've always purchased used or on clearance, and these days I find myself buying 70% or so used PC parts, usually when the next generation comes out. Saves lots of money and most of the bugs are ironed out by then. Of course that means I don't get to be at the bleeding edge of technology, but I'm more than willing to accept that as long as my stuff works.

I've taken the same approach to games too. Wait 6+ months for them to go on sale and for major issues on launch to be resolved.

Owned

CPU: [AMD] Ryzen 9 3900X
CPU COOLER: [Cooler Master] MasterLiquid ML360R
MOTHERBOARD: [Asus] ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Wifi
RAM: [G.Skill] Trident Z 4x8 GB DDR4 3600
SSD/NVME: [Western Digital] Black 512 GB NVMe SSD
SSD/NVME 2: [Team] 4x 1 TB 2.5" SSD
HDD: [Western Digital] Black Series 3 TB HDD
GPU: [EVGA] RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: [AMD] Ryzen 7 3700X
CPU COOLER: [Cooler Master] MasterLiquid ML240L
MOTHERBOARD: [MSI] MAG B550M Mortar Wifi
RAM: [G.Skill] Trident Z 4x8 GB DDR4 3200
SSD/NVME: [Crucial] P2 500 GB NVMe SSD
HDD: [Western Digital] Black Series 2 TB HDD
HDD 2: [Western Digital] Caviar Green 3 TB HDD
GPU: [EVGA] RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Hybrid Gaming
Full Rig Info

3 hours ago, Darkpriest667 said:

It may have cost them more than they made in the long run. I have not seen consumers as bitter about video card releases as they were with this one. If AMD comes anywhere close and has availability it won't matter what Nvidia releases in 2021. They'll lose a chunk of market share. 

The only problem I see AMD having is whether or not their software suite will have a DLSS competitor, and do we know if the teaser we saw the other day had ray tracing running? I just care about rasterization performance personally, but these will be things Nvidia can still market to consumers over AMD unless AMD has something comparable.

AMD will need to bring a competitive software/features along with the cards general performance.

1 hour ago, Mistio said:

Interesting. 

Couldn't agree more. At this stage, not looking to build anything new till March probably. Depending on how things do progress with RDNA2/Ampere though, maybe that will push out even longer. Guess we'll see.

Edited by Sir Beregond

Showcase

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
GPU: Nvidia RTX 3080 Ti Founders Edition
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB DDR4-3600 (@ 3733 14-8-14-14-21-35 1T GDM)
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
SSD/NVME: x2 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB
SSD/NVME 2: Crucial MX500 1TB
PSU: Corsair RM1000x
MONITOR: LG 48" C1
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K, Core i9-10900K, Core i3-13100, Core i9-13900KS
GPU: various
RAM: Corsair 32GB DDR3-2400 | Oloy Blade 16GB DDR4-3600 | Crucial 16GB DDR5-5600
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Deluxe | EVGA Z490 Dark | EVGA Z790 Dark Kingpin
SSD/NVME: Samsung 870 Evo 1TB | Inland 1TB Gen 4
PSU: BeQuiet Straight Power 12 1500W
CASE: Cooler Master MasterFrame 700 - bench mode
OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 10 LTSC
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: M1 Pro
RAM: 32GB
SSD/NVME: 1TB
OPERATING SYSTEM: MacOS Sonoma
CASE: Space Grey