Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, register to take part in our community, don't worry this is a simple FREE process that requires minimal information for you to signup.

Registered users can: 

• Start new topics and reply to others.
  • Show off your PC using our Rig Creator feature.
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get updates.
  • Get your own profile page to customize.
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.
  • Upgrade to Premium to unlock additional sites features.
IGNORED

AMD Radeon RX 6000 – The real power consumption of Navi21 XT and Navi21 XL, the used memory and the

In AMD’s Graphics Power ONLY the supply voltages of the GPU for the GFX controller (VDDCR_GFX) and SOC controller (VDDCR_SOC) are included as the most important component, as well as the supply voltages for the memory as VDDMEM and VDDCI (controller and bus). AMD thus summarizes, in short, the pure GPU power consumption (“socket power”) and that of the memory. However, this value does not contain more than this! Furthermore, according to AMD’s Thermal Design Guide, as a TGP it refers only to the thermal load, i.e. the power dissipation to be cooled in these areas of the GPU and memory surface.

To get a fair comparison with NVIDIA now, you have to look at the whole thing in its entirety. I had already done the math for the GeForce RTX 3090 and was almost right on the watt. With the actual GPU power (according to NVIDIA’s Thermal Design Guide) of 228 watts for the GeForce RTX 3090, I ended up with only 2 watts difference. I transfer now the former calculation once to the GeForce RTX 3080 for better comparability:

image.png.70d516ae4286ecee064da613a887c265.png

Source

Premium Platinum - Lifetime
38 16

Just so we are in the clear, he is basing this entirely off of one twitter post, and ignores that the 3080 has 10-40% more active transistors than a theoretical doubled 5700XT on a lesser node?

And then for some reason doubles the Fan/Other power for AMD over nVidia because... reasons... and states plainly that they're making assumptions about the VRM lineup.

I'm not calling him a liar, but that's... not really convincing.

Not to mention that the thus far teased Big Navi chip has dual 8-pin, which would put PCI-e power at 300w. Not that AMD hasn't bypassed PCI power spec before, but just because one guy on twitter used an incorrect term does not mean the reported number is off by 50%.

Seems like an apples to oranges comparison, I understand what he is trying to do, but I am not 100% sure the results are accurate time will tell though as it is not too long before we know for fact.

£3000

Owned

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D
MOTHERBOARD: MSI Meg Ace X670E
RAM: Corsair Dominator Titanium 64GB (6000MT/s)
GPU: EVGA 3090 FTW Ultra Gaming
SSD/NVME: Corsair MP700 Pro Gen 5 2TB
PSU: EVGA Supernova T2 1600Watt
CASE: be quiet Dark Base Pro 900 Rev 2
FANS: Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC x 6
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: Intel Core i5 8500
RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) Kingston 2666Mhz
SSD/NVME: 256GB Samsung NVMe
NETWORK: HP 561T 10Gbe (Intel X540 T2)
MOTHERBOARD: Proprietry
GPU: Intel UHD Graphics 630
PSU: 90Watt
CASE: HP EliteDesk 800 G4 SFF
Full Rig Info

£3000

Owned

CPU: 2 x Xeon|E5-2696-V4 (44C/88T)
RAM: 128GB|16 x 8GB - DDR4 2400MHz (2Rx8)
MOTHERBOARD: HP Z840|Intel C612 Chipset
GPU: Nvidia Quadro P2200
HDD: 4x 16TB Toshiba MG08ACA16TE Enterprise
SSD/NVME: Intel 512GB 670p NVMe (Main OS)
SSD/NVME 2: Samsung 1TB 980 NVMe (VM's)
SSD/NVME 3: 2x Seagate FireCuda 1TB SSD's (Apps)
Full Rig Info

A rough estimate at best.

Owned

CPU: 5800x
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS TUF Gaming B550-Plus
RAM: XMP 3600mhz CL16
GPU: 7900XT
SOUNDCARD: Sound Blaster Z 5.1 home theater
MONITOR: 4K 65 inch TV
Full Rig Info

Premium Platinum - Lifetime
767 1,670

Note to self: canx any orders we get from Huang for custom leather jackets, but continue our typically excellent service to Lisa Su. If Huang asks for a reason for the cancellation, tell him demand outstripped supply.

Edited by iamjanco
minor edits