Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, register to take part in our community, don't worry this is a simple FREE process that requires minimal information for you to signup.

Registered users can: 

• Start new topics and reply to others.
  • Show off your PC using our Rig Creator feature.
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get updates.
  • Get your own profile page to customize.
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.
  • Upgrade to Premium to unlock additional sites features.
IGNORED

[Microsoft]Meet the Microsoft Pluton processor – The security chip designed for the future of Window

Huzzug

Today, Microsoft alongside our biggest silicon partners are announcing a new vision for Windows security to help ensure our customers are protected today and in the future. In collaboration with leading silicon partners AMD, Intel, and Qualcomm Technologies, Inc., we are announcing the Microsoft Pluton security processor. This chip-to-cloud security technology, pioneered in Xbox and Azure Sphere, will bring even more security advancements to future Windows PCs and signals the beginning of a journey with ecosystem and OEM partners.

https://www.microsoft.com/security/blog/2020/11/17/meet-the-microsoft-pluton-processor-the-security-chip-designed-for-the-future-of-windows-pcs/

Thoughts... 

So it's a TPM or PTT chip that also communicates with the cloud, no this won't have a million bugs.  I see how it's "separate" from the TPM chip and communicates with it. I can tell you this will be a nightmare to support. TPM already is because mom and pop shops use it when they really don't need it. 

way too mu

Owned

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
GPU: ASRock 6900XT
MOTHERBOARD: ASRock X570 Steel Legend
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4-3600 PC4-28800 CL16 Dual Channel Desktop Memory Kit F4-3600C16D-32GVKC - Black
PSU: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 1000 W 80+ Gold
SSD/NVME: Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280
SSD/NVME 2: Samsung 850 evo 1TB SATA SSD
CASE: Fractal Torrent ATX Mid tower
Full Rig Info

I tell you what, that cloud platform will need to be hella secure. Considering that the cloud platform...so basically the internet has access at a hardware level to your PC would in my mind be fairly catastrophic if there was a breach of some form. That is the main drawback for me.

£3000

Owned

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D
MOTHERBOARD: MSI Meg Ace X670E
RAM: Corsair Dominator Titanium 64GB (6000MT/s)
GPU: EVGA 3090 FTW Ultra Gaming
SSD/NVME: Corsair MP700 Pro Gen 5 2TB
PSU: EVGA Supernova T2 1600Watt
CASE: be quiet Dark Base Pro 900 Rev 2
FANS: Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC x 6
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: Intel Core i5 8500
RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) Kingston 2666Mhz
SSD/NVME: 256GB Samsung NVMe
NETWORK: HP 561T 10Gbe (Intel X540 T2)
MOTHERBOARD: Proprietry
GPU: Intel UHD Graphics 630
PSU: 90Watt
CASE: HP EliteDesk 800 G4 SFF
Full Rig Info

£3000

Owned

CPU: 2 x Xeon|E5-2696-V4 (44C/88T)
RAM: 128GB|16 x 8GB - DDR4 2400MHz (2Rx8)
MOTHERBOARD: HP Z840|Intel C612 Chipset
GPU: Nvidia Quadro P2200
HDD: 4x 16TB Toshiba MG08ACA16TE Enterprise
SSD/NVME: Intel 512GB 670p NVMe (Main OS)
SSD/NVME 2: Samsung 1TB 980 NVMe (VM's)
SSD/NVME 3: 2x Seagate FireCuda 1TB SSD's (Apps)
Full Rig Info

I think the application for this chip is going to be more than just.....I can't think of anything other than DRM. I mean it's being implemented by every chip maker and with things moving towards cloud, MS could be selling it's DRM solution to streaming platforms, which seem to be popping up everywhere. 

Can't wait to have to jailbreak my x86 CPU.  Security in silicon is a great idea until exploits and/or flaws are found. SGX is a nice dumpster fire, and I think it's on like round 40 of patches to try and plug it's holes to get it mainlined in the Linux kernel. 

This looks like another black box on top of the existing PSP and Intel ME, both of which have had more than a few security holes. 

CPUs and GPUs already have some hardware level DRM-like features for things like streaming copyrighted videos. Hardware level security features is something that's been slowing growing over time. 

Owned

CPU: 5800x
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS TUF Gaming B550-Plus
RAM: XMP 3600mhz CL16
GPU: 7900XT
SOUNDCARD: Sound Blaster Z 5.1 home theater
MONITOR: 4K 65 inch TV
Full Rig Info

Why would we put specific proprietary OS functions in a CPU?  The OS should be written to leverage functions of a CPU, not the other way around...that's what OS's do. 

Will there now be a licensing fee paid to Microsoft included with the purchase of every CPU? 

Overall this sounds more like a way for Microsoft to collect telemetry with no way of turning it off. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/19/2020 at 5:44 PM, Diffident said:

Why would we put specific proprietary OS functions in a CPU?  The OS should be written to leverage functions of a CPU, not the other way around...that's what OS's do. 

Will there now be a licensing fee paid to Microsoft included with the purchase of every CPU? 

Overall this sounds more like a way for Microsoft to collect telemetry with no way of turning it off. 

Sorry I just sawt this. The reason is to force people to use two things:

#1 Your OS

#2 A registered copy of your OS

If Windows becomes subscription based this would be a good way to turn off any board that doesnt update their subscription. I've found no way to circumvent it. The chips are with ODMs and OEMs now.

way too mu

Owned

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
GPU: ASRock 6900XT
MOTHERBOARD: ASRock X570 Steel Legend
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4-3600 PC4-28800 CL16 Dual Channel Desktop Memory Kit F4-3600C16D-32GVKC - Black
PSU: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 1000 W 80+ Gold
SSD/NVME: Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280
SSD/NVME 2: Samsung 850 evo 1TB SATA SSD
CASE: Fractal Torrent ATX Mid tower
Full Rig Info

“Intel continues to partner with Microsoft to advance the security of Windows PC platforms. The introduction of Microsoft Pluton into future Intel CPUs will further enable integration between Intel hardware and the Windows operating system.” – Mike Nordquist, Sr. Director, Commercial Client Security, Intel.

^^^^^^^^^

Because we ALL know how secure Intel is with their cpu's....  "Besides Meltdown and Spectre, other transient attacks were eventually discovered during the past two years, including the likes of Foreshadow, Zombieload, RIDL, Fallout, and LazyFP."  "LVI's position in all these attacks is, technically, of a reverse-Meltdown. While the original Meltdown bug allowed attackers to read an app's data from inside a CPU's memory while in a transient state, LVI allows the attacker to inject code inside the CPU and have it executed as a transient "temporary" operation, giving attackers more control over what happens."  3 Patches and counting in less than 1 years time.?https://www.engadget.com/2020-01-27-intel-third-mds-patch.html

Not to mention the old processors they threw under the bus because it was too much trouble for too little return.https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/intel-not-patching-spectre-older-cpu/

I trust MS partnering with the cpu makers for security about as much as I trust those "free" money emails I keep getting along with the girls who want to meet me.?