Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, register to take part in our community, don't worry this is a simple FREE process that requires minimal information for you to signup.

Registered users can: 

• Start new topics and reply to others.
  • Show off your PC using our Rig Creator feature.
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get updates.
  • Get your own profile page to customize.
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.
  • Upgrade to Premium to unlock additional sites features.
IGNORED

Cryptocurrency miners are now bulk buying gaming laptops to mine Ethereum

Cryptocurrency miners are after your graphics cards, so much so that even the gaming laptop market is not safe from their desires to mine Etherium. According to reports gathered by Videocardz, Chinese cryptocurrency miners have started to bulk buy RTX 30 series powered gaming laptops to Ethereum mining.

Source

£3000

Owned

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D
MOTHERBOARD: MSI Meg Ace X670E
RAM: Corsair Dominator Titanium 64GB (6000MT/s)
GPU: EVGA 3090 FTW Ultra Gaming
SSD/NVME: Corsair MP700 Pro Gen 5 2TB
PSU: EVGA Supernova T2 1600Watt
CASE: be quiet Dark Base Pro 900 Rev 2
FANS: Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC x 6
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: Intel Core i5 8500
RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) Kingston 2666Mhz
SSD/NVME: 256GB Samsung NVMe
NETWORK: HP 561T 10Gbe (Intel X540 T2)
MOTHERBOARD: Proprietry
GPU: Intel UHD Graphics 630
PSU: 90Watt
CASE: HP EliteDesk 800 G4 SFF
Full Rig Info

£3000

Owned

CPU: 2 x Xeon|E5-2696-V4 (44C/88T)
RAM: 128GB|16 x 8GB - DDR4 2400MHz (2Rx8)
MOTHERBOARD: HP Z840|Intel C612 Chipset
GPU: Nvidia Quadro P2200
HDD: 4x 16TB Toshiba MG08ACA16TE Enterprise
SSD/NVME: Intel 512GB 670p NVMe (Main OS)
SSD/NVME 2: Samsung 1TB 980 NVMe (VM's)
SSD/NVME 3: 2x Seagate FireCuda 1TB SSD's (Apps)
Full Rig Info

And Elon Musk bought $1.5B worth of bitcoin. Man this thing is going to keep getting worse before it gets better.

• Thanks 1

Showcase

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
GPU: Nvidia RTX 3080 Ti Founders Edition
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB DDR4-3600 (@ 3733 14-8-14-14-21-35 1T GDM)
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
SSD/NVME: x2 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB
SSD/NVME 2: Crucial MX500 1TB
PSU: Corsair RM1000x
MONITOR: LG 48" C1
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K, Core i9-10900K, Core i3-13100, Core i9-13900KS
GPU: various
RAM: Corsair 32GB DDR3-2400 | Oloy Blade 16GB DDR4-3600 | Crucial 16GB DDR5-5600
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Deluxe | EVGA Z490 Dark | EVGA Z790 Dark Kingpin
SSD/NVME: Samsung 870 Evo 1TB | Inland 1TB Gen 4
PSU: BeQuiet Straight Power 12 1500W
CASE: Cooler Master MasterFrame 700 - bench mode
OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 10 LTSC
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: M1 Pro
RAM: 32GB
SSD/NVME: 1TB
OPERATING SYSTEM: MacOS Sonoma
CASE: Space Grey
Full Rig Info

Won't be long before they come for the prebuilds now.

While mining seems interesting I've been slowly learning more and more about stocks during this covid era. Stocks have been working really well for me so far overall. Up $700 just today alone. Most days my stocks go up about $2-$300 lately.

Edited by UltraMega

Owned

CPU: 5800x
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS TUF Gaming B550-Plus
RAM: XMP 3600mhz CL16
GPU: 7900XT
SOUNDCARD: Sound Blaster Z 5.1 home theater
MONITOR: 4K 65 inch TV
Full Rig Info

One day I will get around to looking at stocks etc !

£3000

Owned

Full Rig Info

Owned

Full Rig Info

£3000

Owned

Full Rig Info

22 minutes ago, ENTERPRISE said:

One day I will get around to looking at stocks etc !

If you don't know anything about stocks just put say 1k into a stock account, spend half on apple and half on microsoft and just watch it grow until you feel like investing more seriously. 

Owned

Full Rig Info

I bought some Palantir when it first launched. Wish I had added a 0 to the amount I invested as it has almost 4X'd since.

Showcase

Full Rig Info

Owned

RAM: Corsair 32GB DDR3-2400 | Oloy Blade 16GB DDR4-3600 | Crucial 16GB DDR5-5600
Full Rig Info

Owned

Full Rig Info

11 minutes ago, Sir Beregond said:

I bought some Palantir when it first launched. Wish I had added a 0 to the amount I invested as it has almost 4X'd since.

Back before I was old enough to have money and invest and amd was at $2 I tried to convince my dad to buy some and he didn't listen. I only got into stocks a couple years ago and started small with amd, ms, and intel and amd was at like 30 at th time IIRC. Now it's getting close to 100. Microsoft has doubled for me since I started with it. 

Eventually I put some real money in and spread it around about 15 companies that personally make sense to me. 

Owned

Full Rig Info

1 minute ago, UltraMega said:

Back before I was old enough to have money and invest and amd was at $2 I tried to convince my dad to buy some and he didn't listen. I only got into stocks a couple years ago and started small with amd, ms, and intel and amd was at like 30 at th time IIRC. Now it's getting close to 100. Microsoft has doubled for me since I started with it. 

Eventually I put some real money in and spread it around about 15 companies that personally make sense to me. 

Oh yeah, I am just starting small as I only really started understanding how to do stocks this year. Previously most of my effort was with my 401k which is doing nicely.

Showcase

Full Rig Info

Owned

Full Rig Info

Owned

Full Rig Info

I actually had bed bath and beyond stock long before the reddit thing. Bought it at 11 and it went up to 54 at its peak like two weeks ago, and the next day was when robinhood and others stopped the trading for bed bath and beyond as well as others like gamestop and the stock fell fast. I sold it at 30 and then it went down further to 26. Made money on that but man it was a wild ride. Wish I had sold at ~50 but who could have known. 

When I sold the bed bath stock I spread it around into some medical companies and that's been doing really well for me since so it worked out in the end. 

I don't know anything special about stocks other than they go up a lot more than they go down so might as well invest in something. I just read about stocks online and make sense out of what I can and so far that strategy is really working. 

Edited by UltraMega

Owned

Full Rig Info

Buy stocks that pay quarterly dividends.  AMD is only good for a pump and dump, they've never paid a dividend.  Don't buy stocks based on emotion.  Mix in stocks of "Consumer Staples" and buy a stock of a cigarette company (I have Altria Group Inc ).  No matter how bad the economy gets, people don't stop smoking.

I haven't looked at my stocks since last March.  The market tanked so I doubled down.  I usually only look at it when I do my yearly IRA contribution.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, UltraMega said:

I actually had bed bath and beyond stock long before the reddit thing. Bought it at 11 and it went up to 54 at its peak like two weeks ago, and the next day was when robinhood and others stopped the trading for bed bath and beyond as well as others like gamestop and the stock fell fast. I sold it at 30 and then it went down further to 26. Made money on that but man it was a wild ride. Wish I had sold at ~50 but who could have known. 

When I sold the bed bath stock I spread it around into some medical companies and that's been doing really well for me since so it worked out in the end. 

I don't know anything special about stocks other than they go up a lot more than they go down so might as well invest in something. I just read about stocks online and make sense out of what I can and so far that strategy is really working. 

You can't get too bogged down on the what if scenarios, especially with a stock that was part of the retail meme stock movement a couple of weeks ago. You might not have quintupled your money, but you did almost triple it, and you certainly didn't lose like most people who jumped on the bandwagon late did.

I have to tell myself this or have a friend remind me every time I think of when I had a stop loss that triggered on Shopify in 2019 and I passed on a couple of opportunities to buy back in. I originally bought at around $100 a share in 2017 and the stock got up to around $380 in late 2019. At that time, I set a stop loss at $320 thinking it would be safe, but it triggered one morning and I continued to sit it out for another year. I really never should have set that stop loss. I was worried about a short-driven downtrend triggered by the infamous Andrew Left of Citron Research, but I really didn't need the money at any point between then and now.

I still didn't re-buy Shopify at the start of the pandemic when it dipped back under $400. I finally bought back in at $992, but I missed a large chunk of growth. I did triple my original investment in them and now they're up to $1300+ so I'm decently ahead on Shopify again after buying back in. I do lament missing out on that growth in the mid and upper-hundreds that would have made it the biggest holding in my portfolio now, but at least I still made money on it.

The other way I keep myself grounded about missing opportunities is by telling myself that I could otherwise have all my non-retirement account investments in a high-yield savings account instead, where a pathetic 0.5% APY counts as high-yield these days.

Seeing the performance of AMD throughout 2016 was also what got me into investing, but I didn't buy AMD. As much as I'd like to believe that Ryzen's success was predictable, they were getting trounced by Intel and Nvidia on different fronts at the time. I bought Nvidia instead because their moat is bigger with their hands in datacenters, AI, autonomous driving, graphics cards, and now CPUs with ARM.

My portfolio is heavy in semiconductors and half of FAANG+M in large part due to years of familiarity with computer hardware and software, but my biggest and most successful holdings by far right now are Enphase Energy and PayPal.

Edited by Snakecharmed

Owned

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7900X
MOTHERBOARD: Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming WiFi
RAM: 64 GB (2x32 GB) G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 CL30
GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming
SSD/NVME: 1 TB WD_BLACK SN850X PCIe 4.0 NVMe
SSD/NVME 2: 2 TB WD_BLACK SN770 PCIe 4.0 NVMe
MONITOR: 38" LG UltraGear 38GN950-B 3840x1600 144 Hz
MONITOR 2: 55" Samsung Neo QLED QN85A 4K 120 Hz 4:4:4
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
MOTHERBOARD: ASRock X300M-STM
RAM: 16 GB (2x8 GB) ADATA DDR4-3200 CL22
SSD/NVME: 500 GB Gigabyte Gen3 2500E PCIe 3.0 NVMe
SSD/NVME 2: 3.84 TB Samsung PM863a Enterprise SATA 6 Gbps
CASE: ASRock DeskMini X300W
CPU COOLER: Thermalright AXP90-X36
CPU COOLER 2: [Fan] Noctua NF-A9x14 92mm PWM 2.52 W
Full Rig Info

3 minutes ago, Snakecharmed said:

You can't get too bogged down on the what if scenarios, especially on a stock that was part of the retail meme movement a couple of weeks ago. You might not have quintupled your money, but you did almost triple it, and you certainly didn't lose like most people who jumped on the bandwagon late did.

I have to tell myself this or have a friend remind me every time I think of when I had a stop loss that triggered on Shopify in 2019 and I passed on a couple of opportunities to buy back in. I originally bought at around $100 a share in 2017 and the stock got up to around $380 in late 2019. At that time, I set a stop loss at $320 thinking it would be safe, but it triggered one morning and I continued to sit it out for another year. I really never should have set that stop loss. I was worried about a short-driven downtrend triggered by the infamous Andrew Left of Citron Research, but I really didn't need the money at any point between then and now.

I still didn't re-buy Shopify at the start of the pandemic when it dipped back down to $400. I finally bought back in at $992, but I missed a large chunk of growth. I did triple my original investment in them and now they're up to $1300+ so I'm decently ahead on Shopify again after buying back in. I do lament missing out on that growth in the mid and upper-hundreds that would have made it the biggest holding in my portfolio now, but at least I still made money on it.

The other way I keep myself grounded about missing opportunities is by telling myself that I could otherwise have all my money in a high-yield savings account instead, where a pathetic 0.5% APY counts as high-yield these days.

Seeing the performance of AMD throughout 2016 was also what got me into investing, but I didn't buy AMD. As much as I'd like to believe that Ryzen's success was predictable, they were getting trounced by Intel and Nvidia on different fronts at the time. I bought Nvidia instead because their moat is bigger with their hands in datacenters, AI, autonomous driving, graphics cards, and now CPUs with ARM.

My portfolio is heavy in semiconductors and half of FAANG+M in large part due to years of familiarity with computer hardware and software, but my biggest and most successful holdings by far right now are Enphase Energy and PayPal.

I've seen paypal come up a lot lately with them planning to implement e-coin transactions. I wish I had bought into that for sure but by the time I learned about it paypal had already shot up a ton so I figured I may have missed the boat. Such great stock to have bought anytime before the last 3 months or so though. Congrats on that. 

Owned

Full Rig Info

1 minute ago, UltraMega said:

I've seen paypal come up a lot lately with them planning to implement e-coin transactions. I wish I had bought into that for sure but by the time I learned about it paypal had already shot up a ton so I figured I may have missed the boat. Such great stock to have bought anytime before the last 3 months or so though. Congrats on that. 

Thanks. I got PayPal back in 2017 when it was still $43. My thought at the time was Venmo was going to be a huge driver of their future growth especially with the Gen Z crowd. Meanwhile, PayPal was still growing with e-commerce, even if they were going to eventually part ways with eBay. Every online checkout other than Amazon has PayPal as an option right next to the credit cards. Their move into crypto payments was always a possibility, but I hadn't imagined it having the impact it did.

Square occupies a similar space as PayPal and Shopify in consumer payments, but they're all a bit overbought at this point. Even at their current prices though, I think those three are not bad buys in smaller quantities over the next year, but they won't have the explosive growth and returns they've had for the past 3-4 years.

Owned

Full Rig Info

Owned

Full Rig Info

10 minutes ago, Snakecharmed said:

Thanks. I got PayPal back in 2017 when it was still $43. My thought at the time was Venmo was going to be a huge driver of their future growth especially with the Gen Z crowd. Meanwhile, PayPal was still growing with e-commerce, even if they were going to eventually part ways with eBay. Every online checkout other than Amazon has PayPal as an option right next to the credit cards. Their move into crypto payments was always a possibility, but I hadn't imagined it having the impact it did.

Square occupies a similar space as PayPal and Shopify in consumer payments, but they're all a bit overbought at this point. Even at their current prices though, I think those three are not bad buys in smaller quantities over the next year, but they won't have the explosive growth and returns they've had for the past 3-4 years.

I've been waiting to get into the electric vehicle scene sometime in the future as my next big move. If there is a dip sometime in that space I'll buy in, right now EV stocks seem like they're at the end of a rally, perhaps similar to paypal. Instead I bought into some companies that make the components used to make batteries and such for the EV industry. 

Owned

Full Rig Info

Folding@Home Staff
1.3k 660

BTC is going nuts today too. 

Get a Mach-E!

Owned

CPU: 5600x
GPU: EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
GPU 2: EVGA RTX 3080ti FTW3 Ultra
GPU 3: EVGA RTX 3080ti XC3 Hybrid
GPU 4: EVGA RTX 3070ti FTW3 Ultra
GPU 5: MSI RTX 3070 Gaming X Trio
GPU 6: Asus RTX 2080ti ROG STRIX
GPU 7: EVGA RTX 3080ti FTW3 Ultra
Full Rig Info

1 hour ago, UltraMega said:

I've been waiting to get into the electric vehicle scene sometime in the future as my next big move. If there is a dip sometime in that space I'll buy in, right now EV stocks seem like they're at the end of a rally, perhaps similar to paypal. Instead I bought into some companies that make the components used to make batteries and such for the EV industry. 

In terms of sectors, beyond just battery technology, I think there are growth opportunities in green energy in general. I went with Enphase Energy as a solar play last April.

Without having done a whole lot of research at the moment that I'm typing this, I'd look into green energy ETFs and look at what their top holdings are. That could be a starting point for researching the individual stocks, or I might simply buy the ETF itself.

I'm not an investing expert and my risk tolerance is probably higher than a lot of people (even though it's nowhere near the YOLO insanity of wallstreetbets), but I do feel like green energy has more growth potential than the entire market for the foreseeable future.

I'd also be game to try to invest up to $1K per crypto (the minuscule amount of BTC I put into a crypto wallet at $8K USD/BTC for playing around two years ago doesn't count), but if I were making a move right now, I wouldn't like seeing them at all-time highs.

Edited by Snakecharmed
  • Thanks 1

Owned

Full Rig Info

Owned

Full Rig Info

1 hour ago, BWG said:

BTC is going nuts today too. 

Get a Mach-E!

Bitcoin definitely had a good day, but so did the stock market. My top three stocks today went up 18%, 17% and 10%. Bitcoin went up ~20-25% today which is great for bitcoin but a lot of stocks are not far behind by any means. 

Edited by UltraMega

Owned

Full Rig Info

Folding@Home Staff
1.3k 660

I've been playing around with exchanging btc quite a bit lately. I sold it at 37k last week, and then bought back in at 32k and now less than a week later, we're heading to the moon it appears.

• Thanks 2

Owned

CPU: 5600x
GPU: EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
GPU 2: EVGA RTX 3080ti FTW3 Ultra
GPU 3: EVGA RTX 3080ti XC3 Hybrid
GPU 4: EVGA RTX 3070ti FTW3 Ultra
GPU 5: MSI RTX 3070 Gaming X Trio
GPU 6: Asus RTX 2080ti ROG STRIX
GPU 7: EVGA RTX 3080ti FTW3 Ultra
Full Rig Info

I really need to learn where to even get started with stocks, who I should use as a broker etc. I know you get managed and unmanaged portfolios. Either way I need to find the entrance haha. So snowed under it is hard to get time to dig into it.

£3000

Owned

Full Rig Info

Owned

Full Rig Info

£3000

Owned

Full Rig Info

5 minutes ago, ENTERPRISE said:

I really need to learn where to even get started with stocks, who I should use as a broker etc. I know you get managed and unmanaged portfolios. Either way I need to find the entrance haha. So snowed under it is hard to get time to dig into it.

...buy low, sell high is my tip ?

• Thanks 1

Owned

CPU: CPU: ><.......7950X3D - Aorus X670E Master - 48GB DDR5 7200 (8000) TridentZ SK Hynix - Giga-G-OC/Galax RTX 4090 670W - LG 48 OLED - 4TB NVMEs >< .......5950X - Asus CH 8 Dark Hero - 32GB CL13 DDR4 4000 - AMD R 6900XT 500W - Philips BDM40 4K VA - 2TB NVME & 3TB SSDs >> - <<.......4.4 TR 2950X - MSI X399 Creation - 32 GB CL 14 3866 - Asus RTX 3090 Strix OC/KPin 520W and 2x RTX 2080 Ti Gigabyte XTR WF WB 380W - LG 55 IPS HDR - 1TB NVME & 4TB SSDs
Full Rig Info

9 minutes ago, J7SC_Orion said:

...buy low, sell high is my tip ?

Well that much I do know haha. I will get into stocks and use the cash made and put it into EHW eh !

£3000

Owned

Full Rig Info

Owned

Full Rig Info

£3000

Owned

Full Rig Info

5 hours ago, ENTERPRISE said:

Well that much I do know haha. I will get into stocks and use the cash made and put it into EHW eh !

Personally I use charles schwab which is I think less user friendly than something like robinhood, but the fee structure is pretty fair. That said I think the fees are probably pretty negligible for basically any firm you can choose. 

https://topratedfirms.com/brokers/brokerage-firm-reviews.aspx

Like I said earlier one good way to start is to just buy some shares in really stable tech companies like apple and Microsoft. They tend to grow faster than the market overall while still being really safe stocks. You can also just invest in an index fund like Vanguard Information Technology index fund, or "VGT". 

Edited by UltraMega
  • Thanks 1

Owned

Full Rig Info

I can recommend both Fidelity and Vanguard. Sure, their UIs aren't as simple and easy like Robinhood, but honestly, Robinhood is a terrible brokerage on many levels. It took a kid committing suicide for them to get their heads out of their asses and stop dishing out margin accounts like subprime mortgage-backed securities in 2007. They've had inexplicable service outages. Their app is buggy and exploitable. They ran out of liquidity during the recent GameStop fiasco and their CEO looked like a complete idiot trying to talk his way out of the mess they got themselves into by being as disingenuous as possible on TV.

Maybe I'm being a bit old school and elitist, but I see Robinhood as a toy for trading. I need multiple browser tabs and windows open to handle my investing and research, not a tiny phone screen. No serious investor uses Robinhood and they further tanked their own business with their recent self-inflicted PR wounds. The only real change they brought to the industry was making trades free and forcing traditional brokerages to adapt to the same model. Everything else about them has been a circus since day one.

Like I said earlier one good way to start is to just buy some shares in really stable tech companies like apple and Microsoft. They tend to grow faster than the market overall while still being really safe stocks. You can also just invest in an index fund like Vanguard Information Technology index fund or VGT. 

You know, that has me thinking, even though it flies in the face of every piece of traditional investing advice, I can't really argue against someone treating AAPL as their bank account and going all in on it. There are quite a few people who have done that. I can't recommend it as a strategy, but it works if you have the stomach for it.

Edited by Snakecharmed
  • Thanks 2

Owned

Full Rig Info

Owned

Full Rig Info

20 minutes ago, Snakecharmed said:

You know, that has me thinking, even though it flies in the face of every piece of traditional investing advice, I can't really argue against someone treating AAPL as their bank account and going all in on it. There are quite a few people who have done that. I can't recommend it as a strategy, but it works if you have the stomach for it.

That's definitely not what I'm suggesting either, to be clear, though I agree that it's not a terrible idea. 

Owned

Full Rig Info

10 minutes ago, UltraMega said:

That's definitely not what I'm suggesting either, to be clear, though I agree that it's not a terrible idea. 

Oh for sure, definitely just a tangential thought I had and not what you were suggesting. I do recommend getting some shares in AAPL for any new investor though, and it's also a fine choice for the times when you want to buy into a stock and don't know which one to buy. It's funny because it's not an exciting pick and it's not a pure growth stock, but it still behaves like one thanks to Apple being so damn big and a market leader in a outperforming sector. I wish I had simply bought more AAPL instead of making some of the dumb experimental picks I've made over the past few years.

Owned

Full Rig Info

Owned