Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, register to take part in our community, don't worry this is a simple FREE process that requires minimal information for you to signup.

Registered users can: 

• Start new topics and reply to others.
  • Show off your PC using our Rig Creator feature.
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get updates.
  • Get your own profile page to customize.
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.
  • Upgrade to Premium to unlock additional sites features.
IGNORED

Spotify is finally getting into high-end audio. The streaming music giant on Monday during its onlin

Spotify is finally getting into high-end audio. The streaming music giant on Monday during its online “Stream On” event announced a new subscription offering catering specifically to audio enthusiasts. Spotify HiFi will deliver music in a CD-quality, lossless audio format to devices and Spotify Connect-enabled speakers.

Source: https://www.techspot.com/news/88708-spotify-announces-hifi-lossless-streaming-tier-premium-add.html

Freaking finally! As an audiophile, this is very good news. Really can't even believe this has taken so long. 

Edited by UltraMega
  • Thanks 1

Owned

CPU: 5800x
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS TUF Gaming B550-Plus
RAM: XMP 3600mhz CL16
GPU: 7900XT
SOUNDCARD: Sound Blaster Z 5.1 home theater
MONITOR: 4K 65 inch TV
Full Rig Info

Folding@Home Staff
1.3k 660

What's Apple Music streaming at?

Owned

CPU: 5600x
GPU: EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
GPU 2: EVGA RTX 3080ti FTW3 Ultra
GPU 3: EVGA RTX 3080ti XC3 Hybrid
GPU 4: EVGA RTX 3070ti FTW3 Ultra
GPU 5: MSI RTX 3070 Gaming X Trio
GPU 6: Asus RTX 2080ti ROG STRIX
GPU 7: EVGA RTX 3080ti FTW3 Ultra
Full Rig Info

Folding@Home Staff
1.3k 660

I guess I'll tell everyone my little story since someone mentioned FLAC which is my trigger word.

I have, as of today, 48,361 FLAC files. The decades worth of time spent on this library is just unreal. From all sorts of apps to get tagging right and album art to just getting them to play on certain devices. Even have them on Plex and streamed them to cars. I've had a few usb flash drives and even went to a portable SSD case with a Samsung Evo 860 SSD. One day, it took 9 hours just for 1 of my cars to index the tracks! Oh yeah, I couldn't pick which tracks to leave off the drive to help with that. I'm that guy who closes the car door with a calibrated mic and pink noise playing inside while I tweak the eq from outside.

But, I threw in the towel in December and used the free Apple Music subscription that came with my phone plan and have not touched the library since. I have re-claimed a good bit of my life now that I'm not dealing with all of that anymore. My older ears can't notice the decrease in quality as much as they used too.

• Thanks 1

Owned

CPU: 5600x
GPU: EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
GPU 2: EVGA RTX 3080ti FTW3 Ultra
GPU 3: EVGA RTX 3080ti XC3 Hybrid
GPU 4: EVGA RTX 3070ti FTW3 Ultra
GPU 5: MSI RTX 3070 Gaming X Trio
GPU 6: Asus RTX 2080ti ROG STRIX
GPU 7: EVGA RTX 3080ti FTW3 Ultra
Full Rig Info

Interesting, I'll be keeping an eye on this. I'm especially curious about how much music will be available in a higher quality than they have now and how much it will cost.

Owned

CPU: [AMD] Ryzen 9 3900X
CPU COOLER: [Cooler Master] MasterLiquid ML360R
MOTHERBOARD: [Asus] ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Wifi
RAM: [G.Skill] Trident Z 4x8 GB DDR4 3600
SSD/NVME: [Western Digital] Black 512 GB NVMe SSD
SSD/NVME 2: [Team] 4x 1 TB 2.5" SSD
HDD: [Western Digital] Black Series 3 TB HDD
GPU: [EVGA] RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: [AMD] Ryzen 7 3700X
CPU COOLER: [Cooler Master] MasterLiquid ML240L
MOTHERBOARD: [MSI] MAG B550M Mortar Wifi
RAM: [G.Skill] Trident Z 4x8 GB DDR4 3200
SSD/NVME: [Crucial] P2 500 GB NVMe SSD
HDD: [Western Digital] Black Series 2 TB HDD
HDD 2: [Western Digital] Caviar Green 3 TB HDD
GPU: [EVGA] RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Hybrid Gaming
Full Rig Info

9 hours ago, BWG said:

I guess I'll tell everyone my little story since someone mentioned FLAC which is my trigger word.

I have, as of today, 48,361 FLAC files. The decades worth of time spent on this library is just unreal. From all sorts of apps to get tagging right and album art to just getting them to play on certain devices. Even have them on Plex and streamed them to cars. I've had a few usb flash drives and even went to a portable SSD case with a Samsung Evo 860 SSD. One day, it took 9 hours just for 1 of my cars to index the tracks! Oh yeah, I couldn't pick which tracks to leave off the drive to help with that. I'm that guy who closes the car door with a calibrated mic and pink noise playing inside while I tweak the eq from outside.

But, I threw in the towel in December and used the free Apple Music subscription that came with my phone plan and have not touched the library since. I have re-claimed a good bit of my life now that I'm not dealing with all of that anymore. My older ears can't notice the decrease in quality as much as they used too.

That's a lot of songs.  I only have 6,195.

If you want to get the tagging and album art right, use MusicBrainz Picard.

20 hours ago, Diffident said:

I used to rip everything to FLAC and MP3.  FLAC for home and MP3 in the truck, but now I have a head unit that reads FLAC..so no more MP3's.  I just need a USB stick big enough.  I only have a 128GB stick, which is way too small for everything.

I still do this. One of my cars' head units can play FLAC, but the reason I don't load it with FLAC is because I know I can't hear the difference between 320 Kbps MP3 and FLAC while driving—if at all, to be honest. Also, the head unit's interface for its USB ports and SDXC card slot is USB 2.0. Indexing all FLAC files would take forever. If the head unit were USB 3.0, then maybe.

Owned

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7900X
MOTHERBOARD: Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming WiFi
RAM: 64 GB (2x32 GB) G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 CL30
GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming
SSD/NVME: 1 TB WD_BLACK SN850X PCIe 4.0 NVMe
SSD/NVME 2: 2 TB WD_BLACK SN770 PCIe 4.0 NVMe
MONITOR: 38" LG UltraGear 38GN950-B 3840x1600 144 Hz
MONITOR 2: 55" Samsung Neo QLED QN85A 4K 120 Hz 4:4:4
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
MOTHERBOARD: ASRock X300M-STM
RAM: 16 GB (2x8 GB) ADATA DDR4-3200 CL22
SSD/NVME: 500 GB Gigabyte Gen3 2500E PCIe 3.0 NVMe
SSD/NVME 2: 3.84 TB Samsung PM863a Enterprise SATA 6 Gbps
CASE: ASRock DeskMini X300W
CPU COOLER: Thermalright AXP90-X36
CPU COOLER 2: [Fan] Noctua NF-A9x14 92mm PWM 2.52 W
Full Rig Info

1 hour ago, Snakecharmed said:

I still do this. One of my cars' head units can play FLAC, but the reason I don't load it with FLAC is because I know I can't hear the difference between 320 Kbps MP3 and FLAC while driving—if at all, to be honest. Also, the head unit's interface for its USB ports and SDXC card slot is USB 2.0. Indexing all FLAC files would take forever. If the head unit were USB 3.0, then maybe.

I don't know what version of USB mine uses....it's a 2019 model unit. I am using a USB3 stick.  By the time I click agree to the stupid warning screen about driving and playing video, it's playing.

Edited by Diffident

4 hours ago, Diffident said:

I don't know what version of USB mine uses....it's a 2019 model unit. I am using a USB3 stick.  By the time I click agree to the stupid warning screen about driving and playing video, it's playing.

I have a Pioneer AVIC-W8500NEX which was their flagship 2019 model. The indexing isn't that big of a deal since it only happens when you insert an SD card or USB, but it's there. Once indexed, it's cached until the head unit detects a change in the file listing which would only happen if I removed the SD/USB, added/removed files on it from my PC, and put it back in the head unit.

When it does have to refresh though, it's slow with a 45 MB/s SD card full of MP3s and AACs. Even if I get a faster SDXC card, it's still getting capped at a theoretical 60 MB/s over USB 2.0.

Owned

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7900X
MOTHERBOARD: Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming WiFi
RAM: 64 GB (2x32 GB) G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 CL30
GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming
SSD/NVME: 1 TB WD_BLACK SN850X PCIe 4.0 NVMe
SSD/NVME 2: 2 TB WD_BLACK SN770 PCIe 4.0 NVMe
MONITOR: 38" LG UltraGear 38GN950-B 3840x1600 144 Hz
MONITOR 2: 55" Samsung Neo QLED QN85A 4K 120 Hz 4:4:4
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G