Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sim Racing Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (0 members and 2 guests)
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Sim Racing Discussion Thread

    Rather than making 10+ threads for the individual racing sims, I've decided to create a thread for all of them, both PC and console. This thread is racing simulators including, but not limited to:
    • Assetto Corsa series
    • Automobilista series
    • Dirt series
    • Forza Motorsport series
    • Gran Turismo series
    • iRacing
    • Live For Speed
    • Project CARS series
    • Race series
    • Raceroom
    • rFactor series

    Personally, I play Assetto Corsa, Forza Motorsport 6 and 7 and iRacing. I used to play Race: WTCC, Race 07, Live For Speed and the entire Gran Turismo series except Sport. I am thinking of picking up a PS4 for Gran Turismo Sport though.
    CPU: AMD R5 1600 Motherboard: Asus Prime B350 PLUS GPU: EVGA 2070 Black RAM: 16GB Corsair (2x8GB) Storage 1: Samsung 960 Evo 500GB Storage 2: Samsung 860 Evo 1TB PSU: EVGA Supernova 650 G2 Case: Fractal Design Meshify C White OS: Windows 10 Pro Montior 1: LG 32LD450 Monitor 2: Dell E207WFP VR: Valve Index Keyboard: Ducky One2 Midnight MX Blue Mouse: Steelseries Rival 310

  • #2
    Where's Rocket League

    Looking forward to content in here. I've been getting an itch lately to check out racing sims.

    Comment


    • #3
      The Forza Motorsport series is probably a good start. It doesn't have the most realistic physics, but they're good enough and it's playable with a controller. You can also try out a demo (built on Forza Motorsport 6) with Forza 6: Apex on PC.
      CPU: AMD R5 1600 Motherboard: Asus Prime B350 PLUS GPU: EVGA 2070 Black RAM: 16GB Corsair (2x8GB) Storage 1: Samsung 960 Evo 500GB Storage 2: Samsung 860 Evo 1TB PSU: EVGA Supernova 650 G2 Case: Fractal Design Meshify C White OS: Windows 10 Pro Montior 1: LG 32LD450 Monitor 2: Dell E207WFP VR: Valve Index Keyboard: Ducky One2 Midnight MX Blue Mouse: Steelseries Rival 310

      Comment


      • #4
        Sounds good to me!

        Comment


        • #5
          Seconding Forza games. They're about as arcadey as I'm willing to go, and they're also quite controller-friendly. Only thing is they tend to be relatively expensive.
          AMD Ryzen R5 1600X | Gigabyte Z370 Gaming K5 | 2x EVGA 1070 Ti FTW2 | 4x8 GB GSkill 3200 MHz Trident Z RGB | WD Blue NVME 500 GB SSD | 2x WD Black 3 TB HDD | Corsair Air 540 | Windows 10 Pro | 2x BenQ GW2765 1440p 27" | Oculus Rift | Vortex Tab90 | Logitech G502

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Supercrumpet View Post
            Seconding Forza games. They're about as arcadey as I'm willing to go, and they're also quite controller-friendly. Only thing is they tend to be relatively expensive.
            CPU: AMD R5 1600 Motherboard: Asus Prime B350 PLUS GPU: EVGA 2070 Black RAM: 16GB Corsair (2x8GB) Storage 1: Samsung 960 Evo 500GB Storage 2: Samsung 860 Evo 1TB PSU: EVGA Supernova 650 G2 Case: Fractal Design Meshify C White OS: Windows 10 Pro Montior 1: LG 32LD450 Monitor 2: Dell E207WFP VR: Valve Index Keyboard: Ducky One2 Midnight MX Blue Mouse: Steelseries Rival 310

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by andrews2547 View Post
              SPOILER


              Yep, okay, iRacing wins that one. I'll give you that.
              Last edited by Supercrumpet; 27-08-2019, 10:27 PM.
              AMD Ryzen R5 1600X | Gigabyte Z370 Gaming K5 | 2x EVGA 1070 Ti FTW2 | 4x8 GB GSkill 3200 MHz Trident Z RGB | WD Blue NVME 500 GB SSD | 2x WD Black 3 TB HDD | Corsair Air 540 | Windows 10 Pro | 2x BenQ GW2765 1440p 27" | Oculus Rift | Vortex Tab90 | Logitech G502

              Comment


              • #8
                automotive fast cars GIF by Nissan USA
                Welcome to EHW
                Site Guide & Features
                Check out the EHW Facebook & Twitter
                Site projects supported by your donations

                Enjoying the site with no Ads ? Helps us keep EHW Ad and bloat free by purchasing a Premium Account

                Comment


                • #9
                  Need to get back into iRacing...
                  -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Come join us for the ExtremeHW Podcast

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    CPU: AMD R5 1600 Motherboard: Asus Prime B350 PLUS GPU: EVGA 2070 Black RAM: 16GB Corsair (2x8GB) Storage 1: Samsung 960 Evo 500GB Storage 2: Samsung 860 Evo 1TB PSU: EVGA Supernova 650 G2 Case: Fractal Design Meshify C White OS: Windows 10 Pro Montior 1: LG 32LD450 Monitor 2: Dell E207WFP VR: Valve Index Keyboard: Ducky One2 Midnight MX Blue Mouse: Steelseries Rival 310

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Are we talking just downloadable content ? That is a lot of cash!
                      Welcome to EHW
                      Site Guide & Features
                      Check out the EHW Facebook & Twitter
                      Site projects supported by your donations

                      Enjoying the site with no Ads ? Helps us keep EHW Ad and bloat free by purchasing a Premium Account

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by ENTERPRISE View Post

                        Are we talking just downloadable content ? That is a lot of cash!
                        Yes, that doesn't include the subscription either. iRacing is by far the most expensive racing sim out there. All prices here are in USD excluding local VAT here, I can't be bothered to convert it and they only show USD on their website. When you do get a subscription ($13/month, $33/3 months, $110/year or $199/2 year, 40% discount for new memberships for all of them) you get 18 cars and 18 tracks included. Those cars and tracks are only really useful if you only want to do the Rookie races which I wouldn't recommend. The people who do Rookie races are generally really, really bad. I've seen people crash the slowest cars in the game on a straight with no one around them.

                        Once you get your D license, you pretty much have to buy more content and this is where you give them your wallet. Each car is $11.95 and each track is $11.95 or $14.95 each, most of which are $14.95. You don't need to buy all content, you just buy what you want. Of course, the more you buy the bigger of a discount you get as a "bulk buy" bonus. Total price of everything including that discount but excluding local taxes would cost over $1500.

                        iRacing do have a monopoly on this type of sim racing though. There's only online racing, no AI at all and there's no competition for this type of game, at least on PC. The closest sim to iRacing as far as gameplay goes is Gran Turismo Sport which is only on PS4.
                        CPU: AMD R5 1600 Motherboard: Asus Prime B350 PLUS GPU: EVGA 2070 Black RAM: 16GB Corsair (2x8GB) Storage 1: Samsung 960 Evo 500GB Storage 2: Samsung 860 Evo 1TB PSU: EVGA Supernova 650 G2 Case: Fractal Design Meshify C White OS: Windows 10 Pro Montior 1: LG 32LD450 Monitor 2: Dell E207WFP VR: Valve Index Keyboard: Ducky One2 Midnight MX Blue Mouse: Steelseries Rival 310

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I will consider myself educated on the subject, I am not much of a racing sim/game kinda guy but I had heard of iRacing. Certainly an expensive thing to be involved in, especially if you are very keen on it.
                          Welcome to EHW
                          Site Guide & Features
                          Check out the EHW Facebook & Twitter
                          Site projects supported by your donations

                          Enjoying the site with no Ads ? Helps us keep EHW Ad and bloat free by purchasing a Premium Account

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Andrew View Post

                            Yes, that doesn't include the subscription either. iRacing is by far the most expensive racing sim out there. All prices here are in USD excluding local VAT here, I can't be bothered to convert it and they only show USD on their website. When you do get a subscription ($13/month, $33/3 months, $110/year or $199/2 year, 40% discount for new memberships for all of them) you get 18 cars and 18 tracks included. Those cars and tracks are only really useful if you only want to do the Rookie races which I wouldn't recommend. The people who do Rookie races are generally really, really bad. I've seen people crash the slowest cars in the game on a straight with no one around them.

                            Once you get your D license, you pretty much have to buy more content and this is where you give them your wallet. Each car is $11.95 and each track is $11.95 or $14.95 each, most of which are $14.95. You don't need to buy all content, you just buy what you want. Of course, the more you buy the bigger of a discount you get as a "bulk buy" bonus. Total price of everything including that discount but excluding local taxes would cost over $1500.

                            iRacing do have a monopoly on this type of sim racing though. There's only online racing, no AI at all and there's no competition for this type of game, at least on PC. The closest sim to iRacing as far as gameplay goes is Gran Turismo Sport which is only on PS4.
                            Competition-wise, ACC seemed/seems like they want to compete with iRacing for that online sim market, but last time I checked, they have a ways to go.
                            Last edited by Supercrumpet; 28-08-2019, 10:38 PM.
                            AMD Ryzen R5 1600X | Gigabyte Z370 Gaming K5 | 2x EVGA 1070 Ti FTW2 | 4x8 GB GSkill 3200 MHz Trident Z RGB | WD Blue NVME 500 GB SSD | 2x WD Black 3 TB HDD | Corsair Air 540 | Windows 10 Pro | 2x BenQ GW2765 1440p 27" | Oculus Rift | Vortex Tab90 | Logitech G502

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Supercrumpet View Post

                              Competition-wise, ACC seemed/seems like the want to compete with iRacing for that online sim market, but last time I checked, they have a ways to go.
                              They are trying, but it's not working. ACC is missing so much content, on top of that it's currrently broken.
                              CPU: AMD R5 1600 Motherboard: Asus Prime B350 PLUS GPU: EVGA 2070 Black RAM: 16GB Corsair (2x8GB) Storage 1: Samsung 960 Evo 500GB Storage 2: Samsung 860 Evo 1TB PSU: EVGA Supernova 650 G2 Case: Fractal Design Meshify C White OS: Windows 10 Pro Montior 1: LG 32LD450 Monitor 2: Dell E207WFP VR: Valve Index Keyboard: Ducky One2 Midnight MX Blue Mouse: Steelseries Rival 310

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X