Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, register to take part in our community, don't worry this is a simple FREE process that requires minimal information for you to signup.

Registered users can: 

• Start new topics and reply to others.
  • Show off your PC using our Rig Creator feature.
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get updates.
  • Get your own profile page to customize.
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.
  • Upgrade to Premium to unlock additional sites features.
IGNORED

2950x Core Configuration

Avacado

Personally I like to keep one core / two threads free for each GPU. You can play around with that to see if a single thread per GPU will limit it's performance, but every checkpoint in a work unit uses a lot more CPU power so a bit of extra headroom is not a bad thing. 

Besides that it's important that you avoid large prime numbers. 2 3 4 6 8 9 12 16 18 24 and 27 are good numbers, you might get lucky with a few others but some units will stop working. 

So if you are working with a 16c32t CPU and 5 GPU's I would suggest running 18 or 24 threads depending on the impact on the GPU folding.

Edited by Bastiaan_NL

Owned

CPU: Intel Core i9 13900KF
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z690 HERO
RAM: G.SKILL Trident Z5 6400CL30-38-38-28
PSU: Corsair AX1600i
GPU: Galax 4090 Hall Of Fame OCLabs Edition
Full Rig Info

8 minutes ago, Bastiaan_NL said:

Personally I like to keep one core / two threads free for each GPU. You can play around with that to see if a single thread per GPU will limit it's performance, but every checkpoint in a work unit uses a lot more CPU power so a bit of extra headroom is not a bad thing. 

Besides that it's important that you avoid large prime numbers. 2 3 4 6 8 9 12 16 18 24 and 27 are good numbers, you might get lucky with a few others but some units will stop working. 

So if you are working with a 16c32t CPU and 5 GPU's I would suggest running 18 or 24 threads depending on the impact on the GPU folding.

Right, but how do I do that. 

Go to the Advanced Control, Configure, Slots, click on the CPU slot, Edit (bottom right corner), and type in/select the number of Threads you want in the white box that most likely shows '-1' (that means the client controls the number of threads).

Edited by Bastiaan_NL
  • Thanks 1

Owned

Full Rig Info

7 minutes ago, Bastiaan_NL said:

Go to the Advanced Control, Configure, Slots, click on the CPU slot, Edit (bottom right corner), and type in/select the number of Threads you want.

Ah ok, perfect, I haven't folded on a CPU since 2007, so that's why I had no idea that was an option. LOL

Edited by Avacado

Haha, I had to figure out a lot of things too after not folding for 9 years :classic_laugh:

Owned

Full Rig Info

2 minutes ago, Bastiaan_NL said:

Haha, I had to figure out a lot of things too after not folding for 9 years :classic_laugh:

Don't know if i'll be able to fold on it on air. Might have to wait until she is under water. I mean, even without folding on it, the 2950x is at 60c. 

2950x.png

That chart is a bit strange, those numbers were not the same as I saw on my CPU (also, removing one core does not make an exact percentage change like in this case 3.125%).
I found a 3950x review that explained a lot about the folding on a 16c/32t CPU, which came pretty close to my 3950x depending on work units. There is also a part 2 and 3 if you are interested, he did fold with a few of those "numbers to avoid" but after giving that a try myself I have had a few errors where I had to delete the core and unit to get it working again.

Do you have temperature spikes too, or is it a constant temperature? Under water my 3950x is fine, but I see spikes that are 10°C higher than the max temperature I see when running prime95 until the CPU reaches it's max temp. On air you'll have to find out, might be a bit too hot for comfort.

Edited by Bastiaan_NL
  • Thanks 1

Owned

Full Rig Info

1 hour ago, Avacado said:

Can someone walk me through the process of folding on a specific number of cores, I.E. leaving a certain amount free for GPU usage?

...not sure it makes a difference w/ GPU folding, but on my MSI / 2950X setup, there's an option in the Bios for 'Creator' vs 'Game' - it changes UMA to NUMA...NUMA still potentially uses most cores and threads (unless to make other changes on that per above posts), but w/ 2950X, it focuses more and first on a given CCX and its memory access and it can lower latencies and increases RAM throughput. It helps with certain GPU applications (though not all)...NUMA is worth about 400 - 500 points in 3DM Port Royal w/ dual 2080 Ti setup

Addition / edit: another way UMA / NUMA can be toggled is via Bios / CPU features / Cinebench (UMA) vs AIDA (NUMA). Ryzen Master also has options for that, but I prefer to do it in Bios. BTW, with my 3950X, Game vs Creator setting are different in that they simply choose between one or two chiplets...

Edited by J7SC_Orion
  • Thanks 2

Owned

CPU: CPU: ><.......7950X3D - Aorus X670E Master - 48GB DDR5 7200 (8000) TridentZ SK Hynix - Giga-G-OC/Galax RTX 4090 670W - LG 48 OLED - 4TB NVMEs >< .......5950X - Asus CH 8 Dark Hero - 32GB CL13 DDR4 4000 - AMD R 6900XT 500W - Philips BDM40 4K VA - 2TB NVME & 3TB SSDs >> - <<.......4.4 TR 2950X - MSI X399 Creation - 32 GB CL 14 3866 - Asus RTX 3090 Strix OC/KPin 520W and 2x RTX 2080 Ti Gigabyte XTR WF WB 380W - LG 55 IPS HDR - 1TB NVME & 4TB SSDs
Full Rig Info

Folding on the CPU, even with a slight overclock, on air, is going to be a tall order unless you have a pretty good cooler.  Pretty much all of the new CPU tasks are primarily using AVX instructions, and you are likely to see temps and wattage roughly in the neighborhood of Prime95 "blend" or even a bit higher.  

• Thanks 3

58 minutes ago, tictoc said:

Folding on the CPU, even with a slight overclock, on air, is going to be a tall order unless you have a pretty good cooler.  Pretty much all of the new CPU tasks are primarily using AVX instructions, and you are likely to see temps and wattage roughly in the neighborhood of Prime95 "blend" or even a bit higher.  

Very good point, though you can throttle a 2950X to low speeds and corresponding voltage if you like, at least in my mobo's bios and to a certain minimum level (don't know what that minimum level is though, as I usually overclock, not underclock ? ). Also, my 2950X is on a dedicated CPU loop with a Heatkiller IV Pro TR  and 2x 360x55 rads with GTs, and dual D5s. Cinebench loops etc usually are in the 60s C (may be low 70s C in mid-summer).

Owned

CPU: CPU: ><.......7950X3D - Aorus X670E Master - 48GB DDR5 7200 (8000) TridentZ SK Hynix - Giga-G-OC/Galax RTX 4090 670W - LG 48 OLED - 4TB NVMEs >< .......5950X - Asus CH 8 Dark Hero - 32GB CL13 DDR4 4000 - AMD R 6900XT 500W - Philips BDM40 4K VA - 2TB NVME & 3TB SSDs >> - <<.......4.4 TR 2950X - MSI X399 Creation - 32 GB CL 14 3866 - Asus RTX 3090 Strix OC/KPin 520W and 2x RTX 2080 Ti Gigabyte XTR WF WB 380W - LG 55 IPS HDR - 1TB NVME & 4TB SSDs
Full Rig Info

Folding@Home Staff - Team Lead

Let me get you on the short list for the ProSiphon Elite. This will be the perfect experiment. You down to be next after the fellow in NY state finishes up?

Owned

CPU: Ryzen 9 5950x
MOTHERBOARD: B550 PG Velocita
RAM: 4x8GB Ballistix
GPU: RX 6900 XT
PSU: LEADEX V Platinum 1KW
CASE: QUBE 500
SSD/NVME: T-FORCE CARDEA A440 PRO
Full Rig Info

Cheap

Owned

CPU: Ryzen 5 5500
MOTHERBOARD: X470 TAICHI
RAM: Crucial Ballistix MAX 2x8GB
PSU: EVGA SUPERNOVA P5
SSD/NVME: Silicon Power A60 256GB
GPU: Quadro M4000
GPU 2: Quadro M4000
GPU 3: Quadro M2000
Full Rig Info

29 minutes ago, damric said:

Let me get you on the short list for the ProSiphon Elite. This will be the perfect experiment. You down to be next after the fellow in NY state finishes up?

...'moi' ? Thank you but, no...that 2950X is a work-play hybrid I haven't modified for two years because of its productivity role, not least as it has a complex watercooling system that also involves copper hard lines in part of the loop. However, I would be glad to consider the ProSiphon Elite for a future HEDT build project 

Owned

Full Rig Info