Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, register to take part in our community, don't worry this is a simple FREE process that requires minimal information for you to signup.

Registered users can: 

• Start new topics and reply to others.
  • Show off your PC using our Rig Creator feature.
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get updates.
  • Get your own profile page to customize.
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.
  • Upgrade to Premium to unlock additional sites features.
IGNORED

New TC stats system & progress

19 minutes ago, BWG said:

Likely the team # since there's a wu count but no points. Should be fixed when he switches for EHW FAT.

Remind me of this case (or add it as an issue on github). I think with the new DB should be able to exclude units with no points a bit easier. But will need someone to test with, so let's try it after the monthly reset. 

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, damric said:

I don't know. I've been folding for 239902. I guess I didn't set something right?

Nothing to set.  The EHW FAT is just the monthly folding competition. To enter for prizes and/or individual stats tracking during the competition, you just have to post in the thread with "IN" followed by your folding username.

Edited by tictoc

Folding@Home Staff
1.3k 660
15 minutes ago, Avacado said:

How does the 960 on Windows get a 1.12 multiplier and the 960 on Linux get a 6.85 multiplier??? It seems a bit EXTREME, not in a good way though. 

Currently, it depends on the top card folding in the category. He's in nVidia against you, and I'm in Wildcard against Axipher. The Windows points base line on LARS for your card is divided by the Linux points baseline on LARS for his 960 which = the multiplier.

Owned

CPU: 5600x
GPU: EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
GPU 2: EVGA RTX 3080ti FTW3 Ultra
GPU 3: EVGA RTX 3080ti XC3 Hybrid
GPU 4: EVGA RTX 3070ti FTW3 Ultra
GPU 5: MSI RTX 3070 Gaming X Trio
GPU 6: Asus RTX 2080ti ROG STRIX
GPU 7: EVGA RTX 3080ti FTW3 Ultra
Full Rig Info

Folding@Home Staff - Team Lead
1.1k 977
9 minutes ago, tictoc said:

Nothing to set.  The EHW FAT is just the monthly folding competition. To enter for prizes and/or individual stats tracking during the competition, you just have to post in the thread with "IN" followed by your folding username.

Cool so though I was invited in, and told to fold, apparently I wasn't actually in, lol.

I need to tear that rig back down for maintenance again anyway so I'll go ahead and finish my W/U.

Owned

CPU: Ryzen 9 5950x
MOTHERBOARD: B550 PG Velocita
RAM: 4x8GB Ballistix
GPU: RX 6900 XT
PSU: LEADEX V Platinum 1KW
CASE: QUBE 500
SSD/NVME: T-FORCE CARDEA A440 PRO
Full Rig Info

Cheap

Owned

CPU: Ryzen 5 5500
MOTHERBOARD: X470 TAICHI
RAM: Crucial Ballistix MAX 2x8GB
PSU: EVGA SUPERNOVA P5
SSD/NVME: Silicon Power A60 256GB
GPU: Quadro M4000
GPU 2: Quadro M4000
GPU 3: Quadro M2000
Full Rig Info

Folding@Home Staff
1.3k 660

Yeah, I just forgot to give him the info after you switched hardware. We'll get you put in for when you're back up.

Edited by BWG

Owned

Full Rig Info

Folding@Home Staff - Team Lead
1.1k 977
4 minutes ago, BWG said:

Yeah, I just forgot to give him the info after you switched hardware. We'll get you put in for when you're back up.

No big deal. This was kind of a practice run anyway right? 

Owned

CPU: Ryzen 9 5950x
MOTHERBOARD: B550 PG Velocita
RAM: 4x8GB Ballistix
GPU: RX 6900 XT
PSU: LEADEX V Platinum 1KW
CASE: QUBE 500
SSD/NVME: T-FORCE CARDEA A440 PRO
Full Rig Info

Cheap

Owned

CPU: Ryzen 5 5500
MOTHERBOARD: X470 TAICHI
RAM: Crucial Ballistix MAX 2x8GB
PSU: EVGA SUPERNOVA P5
SSD/NVME: Silicon Power A60 256GB
GPU: Quadro M4000
GPU 2: Quadro M4000
GPU 3: Quadro M2000
Full Rig Info

Folding@Home Staff
1.3k 660

Yep, demo to test functionality. Take your time, we have 2 teams, but the stats will be reset a few times too to even it back out.

Owned

Full Rig Info

1 hour ago, BWG said:

Currently, it depends on the top card folding in the category. He's in nVidia against you, and I'm in Wildcard against Axipher. The Windows points base line on LARS for your card is divided by the Linux points baseline on LARS for his 960 which = the multiplier.

So this means if he decides to fold on Linux he will get 6x the points compared to him folding on Windows? I am mathematically challenged. It doesn't make sense. 

960.thumb.png.7621b401f8877cb6ee57f0c3ec81a677.png

913505810_9602.thumb.png.a3545a3b4f2666e994f4a7ea9a55609c.png

Tesla.thumb.png.ddadc7932d6e0e7e04adeef558e101c1.png

2137920130_Tesla2.thumb.png.7b719a254e0e2548e40cab040564727c.png

Ok, so what are we dividing here? At quick glance I don't see any divisible numbers that would yield 6x as opposed to 1x. 

The TC is supposed to reward Overclocking right? I will have to see, but unless I can find a work around, I am not able to add any voltage to the M40. Not complaining, but might need an overclockable card. Get ready for my GT710 to enter the competition. 

Edited by Avacado
  • Thanks 1

Folding@Home Staff
1.3k 660

I use this page. It's in The ETF Manual. If it still doesn't make sense, let me know. It's going to be interesting to see how this all shakes out. Another huge part of the demo. 

Sorry, this page actually is the one you need.

I really need to know when you all see issues, and down time if you could. It will give us all a look at how this points system will look going forward. It's still way better than not having any adjustments the way we used to run it. I agree though, if you cannot oc, it might hurt you a bit, so it's something you can play around with when evaluating the hardware you have. 

Me for example, I'm watching my HFM Logs for all of my cards I constantly fold for 24 hours. Gives me data to see which card could be the most competitive. I'm certain adjustments could be made down the line too.

All I know is this last reset and a series of clock increases has me finally ahead of @axipher

Also, we have a wide variety of hardware between 2 full teams, and the points are almost dead even, so I do believe it's looking promising.

image.thumb.png.2238921cd5f784a9afa45cf619993658.png

Edited by BWG

Owned

Full Rig Info

Folding@Home Staff
1.3k 660

There has been a Lead Change! FPN takes #1 from Foldaholics on the last update.

image.thumb.png.fcef1ad7353fa8d1083520ac96ce6f41.png

Owned

Full Rig Info

8 hours ago, BWG said:

Was the final? Or did you want me to reset the points and trial a different multiplier? Like basing the multipliers on the best available nVidia/Windows, nVidia/Linux, AMD/Windows, AMD/Linux, full stop? Rather than based on who has that hardware?

I'm planning to reset the points again after the weekend (should have the new DB tables ready then), so I could redo the multipliers and we could see how that runs for a few days?

• Thanks 1

Folding@Home Staff
1.3k 660

Let's run this for a bit more.

But, for everyone else, we have the multipliers setup to the best hardware folding in the category and per each category.

What's being considered is to base all point multipliers off the 3090 for the whole event. So, give us your thoughts on that everyone.

It allows a static multiplier for each piece of hardware that could be automated down the line.

Owned

Full Rig Info

1 hour ago, BWG said:

Let's run this for a bit more.

But, for everyone else, we have the multipliers setup to the best hardware folding in the category and per each category.

What's being considered is to base all point multipliers off the 3090 for the whole event. So, give us your thoughts on that everyone.

It allows a static multiplier for each piece of hardware that could be automated down the line.

No issue with the multiplier being based off of the 3090. But the problem remains, as I mentioned awhile back. There is often a large discrepancy between windows vs linux points (Either win or lin advantage). I would still like to know just what the divisible (Exactly WHICH stats are the multi's being generated from) factors are here so I can formulate better questions for you and Zodac. 

• Thanks 1

Folding@Home Staff
1.3k 660
20 minutes ago, Avacado said:

No issue with the multiplier being based off of the 3090. But the problem remains, as I mentioned awhile back. There is often a large discrepancy between windows vs linux points (Either win or lin advantage). I would still like to know just what the divisible (Exactly WHICH stats are the multi's being generated from) factors are here so I can formulate better questions for you and Zodac. 

We ask for the O/S, and use the PPD estimate for the O/S the user is folding on specifically. That change was made because of you saying that a while back.

Owned

Full Rig Info

I think the multiplier should be based on the highest ppd GPU. 

Also,  you can get some pretty whacky results when you handicap by OS.  For example, the R9 200/300(aka 290, 390, etc) would get nearly a 2x multiplier if you ran it in Linux.  I can say with 100% confidence that Windows is not twice as fast as Linux.  In reality it is pretty much a wash between the two OS's.  There are similar results with newer GPUs as well.  A 2080S is for sure not 27% better when run in Linux.  With the CUDA tasks it is maybe a few percent better.  You can see this on the newer GPUs like the 3090 which is actually better on Windows according to the LARS db.

I'm not sure how we account for those types of inconsistencies without just totally eliminating the OS as a variable in the handicapping. 

Edited by tictoc
  • Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, Avacado said:

formulate better questions for you and Zodac. 

I'll hold my hands up and say I'm just the code monkey here. I just do what gets decided here. ;)

Also, you got my name wrong. It's not a big deal the first time... but probably best it doesn't happen again. ? Not threatening anything... but we did just discuss adding the ability to "fine" TC users points if necessary. :D

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, zodac said:

I'll hold my hands up and say I'm just the code monkey here. I just do what gets decided here. ;)

Also, you got my name wrong. It's not a big deal the first time... but probably best it doesn't happen again. ? Not threatening anything... but we did just discuss adding the ability to "fine" TC users points if necessary. :D

Sorry, I forgot about the capital Z. ?‍♂️

Edited by Avacado

8 minutes ago, tictoc said:

I think the multiplier should be based on the highest ppd GPU. 

I'm not sure how we account for those types of inconsistencies without just totally eliminating the OS as a variable in the handicapping. 

This. In a nutshell. Speaking of Nutshell, enjoy. 

• Thanks 1

Folding@Home Staff
1.3k 660

1 minute ago, Avacado said:

Sorry, I forgot about the capital Z. ?‍♂️

Hey, this is the page we use: https://folding.lar.systems/gpu_ppd/overall_ranks

Owned

Full Rig Info

Folding@Home Staff
1.3k 660
Just now, Avacado said:

S***.

Someone's 'doomed'.

e3 2015 GIF

• Thanks 1

Owned

Full Rig Info

12 hours ago, BWG said:

My whole string of comments stemmed from this comment. It was confusing. I DO happen to know about the lars sys page BWG, how do you think I decided on M40s?

There isn't much difference in the Win/Lin average for either my M40 OR the 960, which is why I couldn't figure out the 1x/6x computation. 

Edited by Avacado

Folding@Home Staff
1.3k 660
4 minutes ago, Avacado said:

My whole string of comments stemmed from this comment. It was confusing. I DO happen to know about the lars sys page BWG, how do you think I decided on M40s?

nervous season 3 GIF

Edit: I'll outline the math later today.

Edited by BWG
  • Thanks 1

Owned

Full Rig Info