Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, register to take part in our community, don't worry this is a simple FREE process that requires minimal information for you to signup.

Registered users can: 

• Start new topics and reply to others.
  • Show off your PC using our Rig Creator feature.
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get updates.
  • Get your own profile page to customize.
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.
  • Upgrade to Premium to unlock additional sites features.
IGNORED

New TC stats system & progress

Folding@Home Staff
1.3k 660

Here's my notes. @Avacado

Looks like the PPD estimates change on LARS, so that's another wrench in the plan. Edit: We'll likely do a quarterly lock on LARS. I'll end up grabbing a copy of the page, posting it, and then doing the math before the event starts a month. Adjust all of the multipliers for everyone. Lock it in for 3 months. Redo after 3rd month. Repeat. 

I'm going to take the existing stats, plug in some new multipliers for basing everything on a 3090, and then show everyone the difference between existing, basing each categories multipliers on the top card actively folding in the category, vs everything being based on the 3090. We will discuss with the Team Captains, and then decide which method to use. ;) 

20210422_093455.jpg

Edited by BWG

Owned

CPU: 5600x
GPU: EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
GPU 2: EVGA RTX 3080ti FTW3 Ultra
GPU 3: EVGA RTX 3080ti XC3 Hybrid
GPU 4: EVGA RTX 3070ti FTW3 Ultra
GPU 5: MSI RTX 3070 Gaming X Trio
GPU 6: Asus RTX 2080ti ROG STRIX
GPU 7: EVGA RTX 3080ti FTW3 Ultra
Full Rig Info

Folding@Home Staff - Team Lead
1.1k 983

If this is indeed going to be monthly, I would like to experiment some CPU folding in the future since I have an interesting overclocking chip on my test rig, a 1600 AF.

Owned

CPU: Ryzen 9 5950x
MOTHERBOARD: B550 PG Velocita
RAM: 4x8GB Ballistix
GPU: RX 6900 XT
PSU: LEADEX V Platinum 1KW
CASE: QUBE 500
SSD/NVME: T-FORCE CARDEA A440 PRO
Full Rig Info

Cheap

Owned

CPU: Ryzen 5 5500
MOTHERBOARD: X470 TAICHI
RAM: Crucial Ballistix MAX 2x8GB
PSU: EVGA SUPERNOVA P5
SSD/NVME: Silicon Power A60 256GB
GPU: Quadro M4000
GPU 2: Quadro M4000
GPU 3: Quadro M2000
Full Rig Info

47 minutes ago, BWG said:

Here's my notes. @Avacado

Looks like the PPD estimates change on LARS, so that's another wrench in the plan.

20210422_093455.jpg

TY. Ok, so the math is computated against the highest performing card average in the category vs LARS averages, got it.

Now the real problem, assuming that the above is true, there are 2 different revisions of the Ti with vastly different averages. Is Bastiaans Ti a non-rev A for certain? I'm sure you validated this, so i'll assume it is. 

Problem #1- We have no way of knowing if the averages on LARS are with Or without OC's. I would assume that on newer cards they most likely will be and to a lesser extent the older the card becomes.

Problem #2- The disparity in overclockability between newer and older cards. I'll use my best Ti as an example. Currently folding at 94% load, stock it's at 1830 core, OC it gets +200 core to 2030. This fluctuates a lot, but for arguments sake, bear with me just to get a percentage.  That is an 11% increase in perf. I don't think there will be any way to squeeze that kind of OC out of a Tesla, but I have yet to experiment. Will be cool to see. 

I fully expect the advantage to lie with newer gen cards. I WILL test this and get back to you. 

Edited by Avacado

Hey guys.

I'm running into trouble reworking the DB tables and still keeping the existing stats running. I'm going to have to shut down for a little bit and do some testing. I do have the initial stats for all users for this month, so I should be able to get a valid monthly total for everyone (I can do it manually if I have to), and hope that I'll be back up over the weekend. But I underestimated how much stuff would need to move around.

I'm probably gonna bring it down in the next hour or two.

• Thanks 2

Folding@Home Staff
1.3k 660
35 minutes ago, Avacado said:

TY. Ok, so the math is computated against the highest performing card average in the category vs LARS averages, got it.

Now the real problem, assuming that the above is true, there are 2 different revisions of the Ti with vastly different averages. Is Bastiaans Ti a non-rev A for certain? I'm sure you validated this, so i'll assume it is. 

Problem #1- We have no way of knowing if the averages on LARS are with Or without OC's. I would assume that on newer cards they most likely will be and to a lesser extent the older the card becomes.

Problem #2- The disparity in overclockability between newer and older cards. I'll use my best Ti as an example. Currently folding at 94% load, stock it's at 1830 core, OC it gets +200 core to 2030. This fluctuates a lot, but for arguments sake, bear with me just to get a percentage.  That is an 11% increase in perf. I don't think there will be any way to squeeze that kind of OC out of a Tesla, but I have yet to experiment. Will be cool to see. 

I fully expect the advantage to lie with newer gen cards. I WILL test this and get back to you. 

Yep, everything we ever do will have all sorts of issues, but I think the issues above a far less vs the old way we used to run the event where your m40 would be against gpu's it stood no chance at all of beating, and the gap in points was insurmountable. For the people who used to compete in the old TC, this system is so refreshing! 

I will say this though, every piece of hardware I have folding is overclocked and is beating the LARS DB by a good amount. It's a decently wide range, 9xx, 1xxx and 3xxx. Yeah, your Tesla's not going to be great since it can't OC easily, but you are competitive against a 2080ti right now, and the points are so very close between the teams.

Owned

Full Rig Info

25 minutes ago, zodac said:

Hey guys.

I'm running into trouble reworking the DB tables and still keeping the existing stats running. I'm going to have to shut down for a little bit and do some testing. I do have the initial stats for all users for this month, so I should be able to get a valid monthly total for everyone (I can do it manually if I have to), and hope that I'll be back up over the weekend. But I underestimated how much stuff would need to move around.

I'm probably gonna bring it down in the next hour or two.

Last stats for a few days. We can compare against this when things are running again:

image.png.5c4f413d4a53ae78b7eb91739aea043b.png

• Thanks 2

Folding@Home Staff
1.3k 660
34 minutes ago, zodac said:

Last stats for a few days. We can compare against this when things are running again:

image.png.5c4f413d4a53ae78b7eb91739aea043b.png

Cool, Damric got one into verify he's working!

• Thanks 1

Owned

Full Rig Info

Liking all of the above.  There will always be some outliers with any handicapping system, but I dig the overall plan. 

For what it's worth the db baseline numbers are almost certainly mostly cards running at stock with whatever version of GPU boost the card has.  Everything that I've ran recently and in the past always exceeded whatever averages were out there, whether it was LARS or the old wu database on OCN.

@Avacado I've got some tricks for your Teslas that we can test out over the next month, and it should be smoking by the time the comp starts on June 1st. :)

Edited by tictoc
  • Thanks 3

Just now, tictoc said:

Liking all of the above.  There will always be some outliers with any handicapping system, but I dig the overall plan. 

For what it's worth the db baseline numbers are almost certainly mostly cards running at stock with whatever version of GPU boost the card has.  Everything that I've ran recently and in the past always exceeded whatever averages were out there, whether it was LARS or the old wu database on OCN.

@Avacado I've got some tricks for your Teslas that we can test out over the next month, and it should be smoking by the time the comp starts on June 1st. :)

You know, while it's not exposed on the UI, I do also keep the non-multiplied points for each user. You could always keep going with the non-multiplied points for a month or so until you learn to tweak the multipliers to be more valid? Just spitballing, don't know if it's worth bringing in manual multipliers, or just trying to leverage the LARS DB.

• Thanks 1

Folding@Home Staff
1.3k 660
51 minutes ago, zodac said:

You know, while it's not exposed on the UI, I do also keep the non-multiplied points for each user. You could always keep going with the non-multiplied points for a month or so until you learn to tweak the multipliers to be more valid? Just spitballing, don't know if it's worth bringing in manual multipliers, or just trying to leverage the LARS DB.

I think tictoc already had that run through his mind when he asked me if he should be folding at stock. lol

Owned

Full Rig Info

2 hours ago, Avacado said:

My card is a Rev A. 

45 minutes ago, tictoc said:

Same for me, it's not hard to beat the database averages with any of the cards I own. 
Can I share in the M40 knowledge? I'm not going to share it with anyone, just interested.

• Thanks 1

Owned

CPU: Intel Core i9 13900KF
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z690 HERO
RAM: G.SKILL Trident Z5 6400CL30-38-38-28
PSU: Corsair AX1600i
GPU: Galax 4090 Hall Of Fame OCLabs Edition
Full Rig Info

Folding@Home Staff
1.3k 660

Oh I'm sure it involves extracting the bios, hitting it with the editor, and then flashing it.?

Owned

Full Rig Info

1 hour ago, tictoc said:

Aye Aye captain! Look forward to it!

1 hour ago, zodac said:

Thank you for all the hard work on the back end. Nothing I say is a critique of anything you or BWG are doing, just digging for a better understanding. 

7 minutes ago, Bastiaan_NL said:

My card is a Rev A. 

Same for me, it's not hard to beat the database averages with any of the cards I own. 
Can I share in the M40 knowledge? I'm not going to share it with anyone, just interested.

M40 knowledge is open source Teddy Broosevelt. You can have all you can handle. 

Edited by Avacado
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, BWG said:

Yep, everything we ever do will have all sorts of issues, but I think the issues above a far less vs the old way we used to run the event where your m40 would be against gpu's it stood no chance at all of beating, and the gap in points was insurmountable. For the people who used to compete in the old TC, this system is so refreshing! 

I will say this though, every piece of hardware I have folding is overclocked and is beating the LARS DB by a good amount. It's a decently wide range, 9xx, 1xxx and 3xxx. Yeah, your Tesla's not going to be great since it can't OC easily, but you are competitive against a 2080ti right now, and the points are so very close between the teams.

142275380_TeslaPPDs.thumb.png.ebb2a3ccc2a8d68480ea763094aa25ea.png

Fair points, If you looks at the figures, I would wager that the "Best PPD" stats are literally coming from my Teslas. That is the exact PPD I am getting with them, beating the average by 200k PPD, they are also submitting WU's <4 Hours making them great for the 4 hour update window. I guarantee that the only reason I am getting the best PPD stats are solely due to the cooling solution. The stock passive with high flow CFM still see the cards thermal throttle. They rarely get above 60c now. 

With 266 "Windows Samples" returned, I would also wager that I am the only person in the world folding M40's right now. Just a hunch ? Hurry up with the build @ENTERPRISE ? 

Edited by Avacado

Folding@Home Staff
1.3k 660

Yeah, that's the variable you get to take advantage of, as do I. You're exceeding, and it showed in your stats. 

Owned

Full Rig Info

I just wanted to say a huge well done to everyone:)

£3000

Owned

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D
MOTHERBOARD: MSI Meg Ace X670E
RAM: Corsair Dominator Titanium 64GB (6000MT/s)
GPU: EVGA 3090 FTW Ultra Gaming
SSD/NVME: Corsair MP700 Pro Gen 5 2TB
PSU: EVGA Supernova T2 1600Watt
CASE: be quiet Dark Base Pro 900 Rev 2
FANS: Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC x 6
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: Intel Core i5 8500
RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) Kingston 2666Mhz
SSD/NVME: 256GB Samsung NVMe
NETWORK: HP 561T 10Gbe (Intel X540 T2)
MOTHERBOARD: Proprietry
GPU: Intel UHD Graphics 630
PSU: 90Watt
CASE: HP EliteDesk 800 G4 SFF
Full Rig Info

£3000

Owned

CPU: 2 x Xeon|E5-2696-V4 (44C/88T)
RAM: 128GB|16 x 8GB - DDR4 2400MHz (2Rx8)
MOTHERBOARD: HP Z840|Intel C612 Chipset
GPU: Nvidia Quadro P2200
HDD: 4x 16TB Toshiba MG08ACA16TE Enterprise
SSD/NVME: Intel 512GB 670p NVMe (Main OS)
SSD/NVME 2: Samsung 1TB 980 NVMe (VM's)
SSD/NVME 3: 2x Seagate FireCuda 1TB SSD's (Apps)
Full Rig Info

3 minutes ago, zodac said:

I assume this is a joke, but if not, I am prepared to give @BWG -2mil points, just to be sure.

The -2M should probably be given, but for now I'm prepared to let him be happy at the top of the leaderboard as a reward for getting things fired up.

All jokes aside, I don't see any issues, and thanks for taking the time to help. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, tictoc said:

The -2M should probably be given, but for now I'm prepared to let him be happy at the top of the leaderboard as a reward for getting things fired up.

All jokes aside, I don't see any issues, and thanks for taking the time to help. 

For real, let him have his fun, Lets get that Titan X BIOS going for the teslas and turn up the heat. Will be switching to a WB'd card when I get that rig going. 

Edited by Avacado

Folding@Home Staff
1.3k 660

@zodacwhere's your team thread? ;) 

Owned

Full Rig Info

Hey everyone. I've updated the system to no longer filter on the Stanford team you Fold on, after we discussed it probably wasn't necessary. So as long as you continue to abide by the 1 H/W for 1 user+passkey, you should be able to switch between OCN, EHW or anywhere else whenever you want. ?

• Thanks 2