Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, register to take part in our community, don't worry this is a simple FREE process that requires minimal information for you to signup.

Registered users can: 

• Start new topics and reply to others.
  • Show off your PC using our Rig Creator feature.
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get updates.
  • Get your own profile page to customize.
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.
  • Upgrade to Premium to unlock additional sites features.
IGNORED

ExtremeHW Folding@Home Competition, May 27th - 29th, 1 AM UTC

21 minutes ago, BWG said:

How does 2nd place feel? Why do people doubt me? ?

How does 3rd place feel? We doubt you because we know better. You just got to the top levels of competing, we've been battling up here for months. 

Folding@Home Staff
17 minutes ago, Avacado said:

How does 3rd place feel? We doubt you because we know better. You just got to the top levels of competing, we've been battling up here for months. 

When did I ever say 'I' was going to beat him?

Owned

CPU: 5600x
GPU: EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
GPU 2: EVGA RTX 3080ti FTW3 Ultra
GPU 3: EVGA RTX 3080ti XC3 Hybrid
GPU 4: EVGA RTX 3070ti FTW3 Ultra
GPU 5: MSI RTX 3070 Gaming X Trio
GPU 6: Asus RTX 2080ti ROG STRIX
GPU 7: EVGA RTX 3080ti FTW3 Ultra
Full Rig Info

29 minutes ago, BWG said:

When did I ever say 'I' was going to beat him?

Using statements like "He's going down" implies you fully intend on being the one to do so.  Otherwise you should put who the person is other than yourself to make it clearer who will be doing the thrashing. 

Edited by Avacado

Folding@Home Staff - Team Lead

Do you guys ever have to wait seemingly forever for one piece of hardware to download a Work Unit? I find that my CPUs especially get stuck in the download queue.

Owned

CPU: Ryzen 9 5950x
MOTHERBOARD: B550 PG Velocita
RAM: 4x8GB Ballistix
GPU: RX 6900 XT
PSU: LEADEX V Platinum 1KW
CASE: QUBE 500
SSD/NVME: T-FORCE CARDEA A440 PRO
Full Rig Info

Cheap

Owned

CPU: Ryzen 5 5500
MOTHERBOARD: X470 TAICHI
RAM: Crucial Ballistix MAX 2x8GB
PSU: EVGA SUPERNOVA P5
SSD/NVME: Silicon Power A60 256GB
GPU: Quadro M4000
GPU 2: Quadro M4000
GPU 3: Quadro M2000
Full Rig Info

9 minutes ago, damric said:

Do you guys ever have to wait seemingly forever for one piece of hardware to download a Work Unit? I find that my CPUs especially get stuck in the download queue.

You can have them try to start downloading the next WU sooner using the advanced string "next-unit-percentage" "90", this means it will attempt to download the next WU when your current one is at 90% completion. You can change the range anywhere from 90-100%. Try that and see if it helps.

Do note however that the next unit will begin to lose points as soon as it is downloaded, so the earlier you choose to DL it the more points you will lose waiting for the current WU to complete before switching to the new one.  

Edited by Avacado
  • Thanks 1

Folding@Home Staff
50 minutes ago, Avacado said:

Using statements like "He's going down" implies you fully intend on being the one to do so.  Otherwise you should put who the person is other than yourself to make it clearer who will be doing the thrashing. 

That's an interesting take on those words, but it's not what they mean. How could I be the one to do that when I'm only putting up 16 million PPD? How can something really think that's what I meant knowing that? 

Owned

Full Rig Info

13 minutes ago, damric said:

They had server outages recently with servers that assign the CPU work units.  Any lack of work or slow downloads may be related to the server issues.

• Thanks 1

Folding@Home Staff

Moms PPD FTW!!!!

Edited by BWG

Owned

Full Rig Info

3 minutes ago, BWG said:

That's an interesting take on those words, but it's not what they mean. How could I be the one to do that when I'm only putting up 16 million PPD? How can something really think that's what I meant knowing that? 

Well, if you didn't mean you were going to do it and you didn't say the name of the person who would, then how is he going down exactly?

Folding@Home Staff
1 minute ago, Avacado said:

Well, if you didn't mean you were going to do it and you didn't say the name of the person who would, then how is he going down exactly?

@firedflyduh, how do you think he knows to mention his Moms 3080 lol

Owned

Full Rig Info

Just now, BWG said:

@firedflyduh, how do you think he knows to mention his Moms 3080 lol

You made that post 10 hours ago. 1 hour into the competition. It's easy to see that now, but it wasn't then. 

7 minutes ago, firedfly said:

They had server outages recently with servers that assign the CPU work units.  Any lack of work or slow downloads may be related to the server issues.

Make's sense. I'm only having the CPU units time out. I have reset lot's of times and sometimes that helps but mostly it doesn't ><

Owned

Full Rig Info

Cheap

Owned

Full Rig Info

2 minutes ago, damric said:

Make's sense. I'm only having the CPU units time out. I have reset lot's of times and sometimes that helps but mostly it doesn't ><

Thats why until you figure it out, you should try the 90% setting, it will refresh the timer for you until completion of the unit. At least that way, you won't have to start manually pausing it until the CPU is idle. How long has this been an issue? 

• Thanks 1

Folding@Home Staff
9 minutes ago, Avacado said:

You made that post 10 hours ago. 1 hour into the competition. It's easy to see that now, but it wasn't then. 

You really underestimate me. We talk all of the time, and I knew he was going to smoke him earlier this week. Why are you so anti-BWG? I feel like all we do is argue like Brothers lol.

Owned

Full Rig Info

1 minute ago, BWG said:

You really underestimate me. We talk all of the time, and I knew he was going to smoke him earlier this week. Why are you so anti-BWG? I feel like all we do is argue like Brothers lol.

Well duh. I'm not anti-you, you are just the only one who enjoys * talking as much as I do. I just call you out on all of it. Didn't know you spoke with Fired. Tell him to list what he has, it's bad form to perform well and not let everyone know what he has under the hood. 

Edited by Avacado
  • Thanks 1

Folding@Home Staff
1 minute ago, Avacado said:

Well duh. I'm not anti-you, you are just the only one who enjoys * talking as much as I do. I just call you out on all of it. Didn't know you spoke with Fired. Tell him to list what he has, it's bad form to perform well and not let everyone know what he has under the hood. 

His Moms 3080. It's water cooled lol

Owned

Full Rig Info

3 minutes ago, Avacado said:

Thats why until you figure it out, you should try the 90% setting, it will refresh the timer for you until completion of the unit. At least that way, you won't have to start manually pausing it until the CPU is idle. How long has this been an issue? 

Seems like I only noticed it when I activated all my CPUs for this folding event. I'm running my computer (CPU+GPU), Ethan's (CPU+GPU), and Rachel's (integrated+GPU), and my test bench (CPU+GPU).

I noticed it yesterday when I was setting them all up that sometimes it takes forever for CPU in the DL queue to get started or fetch a new unit. I'm folding only 8/12 of the CPU cores to leave some headroom.

Owned

Full Rig Info

Cheap

Owned

Full Rig Info

1 minute ago, damric said:

Seems like I only noticed it when I activated all my CPUs for this folding event. I'm running my computer (CPU+GPU), Ethan's (CPU+GPU), and Rachel's (integrated+GPU), and my test bench (CPU+GPU).

I noticed it yesterday when I was setting them all up that sometimes it takes forever for CPU in the DL queue to get started or fetch a new unit. I'm folding only 8/12 of the CPU cores to leave some headroom.

Oh, ok. Is this happening on all of them or just your rig?

3 minutes ago, Avacado said:

Oh, ok. Is this happening on all of them or just your rig?

All of them. I'm guessing the CPU WU server is crowded. Eventually they do fetch a WU, but not consistently quick like my GPU WUs.

Owned

Full Rig Info

Cheap

Owned

Full Rig Info

Folding@Home Staff
12 minutes ago, Avacado said:

Uh-huh. Fine, I won't share any of my settings next year when I finally get everything working. Just kidding, I will. 

He's been helping us with the ETF stats site. Hey, you should Discord more. We could chat live on there about super secret things that are cool. Your pool handled yet?

Owned

Full Rig Info

2 minutes ago, BWG said:

He's been helping us with the ETF stats site. Hey, you should Discord more. We could chat live on there about super secret things that are cool. Your pool handled yet?

I would love to, but I post in between patient's and phone calls here. I only telework on Mondays to be able to discord. Will try to get on more. Pool guy coming tomorrow, we shall see. Family will be at my house lounging on my couch before I even pick up my daughter and get home. 

• Thanks 1