Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, register to take part in our community, don't worry this is a simple FREE process that requires minimal information for you to signup.

Registered users can: 

• Start new topics and reply to others.
  • Show off your PC using our Rig Creator feature.
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get updates.
  • Get your own profile page to customize.
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.
  • Upgrade to Premium to unlock additional sites features.
IGNORED

ETF Lounge

Folding@Home Staff
259 380

I now have the Folding in the Dark Chrome extension running against that Linux box with the Quadros.

I stopped folding on a Windows computer, then from the Windows computer, I ssh into the Linux box with some port forwarding configured.  When the Windows computer tries to access the local folding web client, it is really connecting to the Linux box via ssh.  It looks like this will work, so I'll see if it gets the lars database reporting some Linux work for these cards.

image.png.1f69610fd2df1e220838c730edcef783.png

• Thanks 4

Review Manager
2.6k 2,585
9 minutes ago, firedfly said:

I now have the Folding in the Dark Chrome extension running against that Linux box with the Quadros.

I stopped folding on a Windows computer, then from the Windows computer, I ssh into the Linux box with some port forwarding configured.  When the Windows computer tries to access the local folding web client, it is really connecting to the Linux box via ssh.  It looks like this will work, so I'll see if it gets the lars database reporting some Linux work for these cards.

Clap.gif.cd1e1c3e7f6c1752fb1879845dd6200d.gif

Fantastic!

Folding@Home Staff
259 380
5 minutes ago, Avacado said:

Clap.gif.cd1e1c3e7f6c1752fb1879845dd6200d.gif

Fantastic!

The only downside I can see right now is that the CPU that is folding in the Linux box is identified as the CPU in the Windows computer.  I guess the web client is somehow determining the CPU instead of querying FAHClient for that info.  So, I expect lars to get results for a i7-4770 recorded for an i7-7700k.  I guess I'll need to pause that CPU so it doesn't continue reporting the wrong stats.  Going to lose ~40k ppd by not folding on that CPU! ?

Actually, the fact that the CPU is being identified wrong makes me question if the stats for the quadro cards will even be recorded under Linux.  If the web client determines the OS, then it will think it is running on Windows.  I guess I'll find out when these units finish.

Review Manager
2.6k 2,585
59 minutes ago, firedfly said:

The only downside I can see right now is that the CPU that is folding in the Linux box is identified as the CPU in the Windows computer.  I guess the web client is somehow determining the CPU instead of querying FAHClient for that info.  So, I expect lars to get results for a i7-4770 recorded for an i7-7700k.  I guess I'll need to pause that CPU so it doesn't continue reporting the wrong stats.  Going to lose ~40k ppd by not folding on that CPU! ?

Actually, the fact that the CPU is being identified wrong makes me question if the stats for the quadro cards will even be recorded under Linux.  If the web client determines the OS, then it will think it is running on Windows.  I guess I'll find out when these units finish.

Interesting. Still, ANY knowledge gained is not wasted time in tech terms. 

It must be nice to understand what you are doing. You could have written that in Chinese and it wouldn't have made a difference to me :classic_laugh:

But great that you've got it working, let's hope it'll report the stats under Linux on the LARS database!

• Thanks 1

Owned

CPU: Intel Core i9 13900KF
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z690 HERO
RAM: G.SKILL Trident Z5 6400CL30-38-38-28
PSU: Corsair AX1600i
GPU: Galax 4090 Hall Of Fame OCLabs Edition
Full Rig Info

Folding@Home Staff
259 380
1 minute ago, Bastiaan_NL said:

It must be nice to understand what you are doing. You could have written that in Chinese and it wouldn't have made a difference to me :classic_laugh:

But great that you've got it working, let's hope it'll report the stats under Linux on the LARS database!

I ended up installing Ubuntu in a VM that can do the port forwarding to the linux box with the quadro cards.  Folding in the Dark was reporting the quadros as running in Windows when I was connecting from a windows computer.  Now that I have the Ubuntu VM running the Folding in the Dark extension, it sends back properly as being run under Linux.  I haven't seen the public site update yet, but every 30 minutes, folding stats are uploaded to lars by the extension.

• Thanks 1

Ah, that makes more sense to me. I just checked the LARS database and both the p400 and the p620 stats were still under Windows. Let's hope it works, we'll soon find out.

Owned

Full Rig Info

Folding@Home Staff
1.3k 660

Not bad. Gotta do more testing. I did have to increase my virtual memory finally.

20210603_145444.jpg

Owned

CPU: 5600x
GPU: EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
GPU 2: EVGA RTX 3080ti FTW3 Ultra
GPU 3: EVGA RTX 3080ti XC3 Hybrid
GPU 4: EVGA RTX 3070ti FTW3 Ultra
GPU 5: MSI RTX 3070 Gaming X Trio
GPU 6: Asus RTX 2080ti ROG STRIX
GPU 7: EVGA RTX 3080ti FTW3 Ultra
Full Rig Info

Folding@Home Staff
259 380
11 minutes ago, Bastiaan_NL said:

Ah, that makes more sense to me. I just checked the LARS database and both the p400 and the p620 stats were still under Windows. Let's hope it works, we'll soon find out.

In preparation for reporting to lars, I reset my folding settings to the default (any cause, removed the advanced flag).  That is a HUGE ppd difference.  I'm now getting less than half the ppd I was with customized settings.  That is largely due to the fact that on these WUs, it takes too long to complete, so I don't get a QRB on the work.

I expect later today we'll see some Linux stats appear for these cards.  It doesn't appear that extension reports final wu stats.  It reports current ppd stats every 30 minutes--which is good since these WUs will take another 1-2 days to complete.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, firedfly said:

It's easier if you just edit the config.xml to allow remote access to the folding client. 

<!-- Web Server -->
	<web-allow v='127.0.0.1 192.168.1.0/24'/>

This would allow access from all machines on your network, assuming your subnet is 192.168.1.  In your browser, you just enter the ip of the machine you want to access the same as you would on the local machine.

Folding@Home Staff
259 380
32 minutes ago, Diffident said:

It's easier if you just edit the config.xml to allow remote access to the folding client. 

<!-- Web Server -->
	<web-allow v='127.0.0.1 192.168.1.0/24'/>

This would allow access from all machines on your network, assuming your subnet is 192.168.1.  In your browser, you just enter the ip of the machine you want to access the same as you would on the local machine.

Thanks for the suggestion.  Unfortunately, that doesn't appear to work for the web client (or the folding in the dark extension).  I had tried that earlier and was receiving a 401 error trying to access the web client remotely (http://ip:7396).  Before modifying the web-allow setting I was receiving a different error (403, I believe).

Your suggestion works great for access remotely via FAHControl or HFM.  I've been doing that for a while.

23 minutes ago, firedfly said:

Thanks for the suggestion.  Unfortunately, that doesn't appear to work for the web client (or the folding in the dark extension).  I had tried that earlier and was receiving a 401 error trying to access the web client remotely (http://ip:7396).  Before modifying the web-allow setting I was receiving a different error (403, I believe).

Your suggestion works great for access remotely via FAHControl or HFM.  I've been doing that for a while.

Change the ip range to just the ip of the machine and try again.  Remember to restart the service after editing the config.xml.

Folding@Home Staff
259 380
3 minutes ago, Diffident said:

Change the ip range to just the ip of the machine and try again.  Remember to restart the service after editing the config.xml.

I realize that I was only setting the remote options in the FAHControl UI and that differs from the option you recommended.  Unfortunately, manually setting that option (either with an IP range or specific address) results in a 403 error.  I might be able to get this option working with more trial and error.  However, the ssh port forwarding just works :)

Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Folding@Home Staff
259 380
6 hours ago, Bastiaan_NL said:

Linux stats have been reported for both cards.  The Linux stats only show on the overview page (https://folding.lar.systems/gpu_ppd/brands/nvidia/) and not on the card detail pages.  I assume that will change sometime in the next day.

• Thanks 1

Review Manager
2.6k 2,585
12 hours ago, firedfly said:

Linux stats have been reported for both cards.  The Linux stats only show on the overview page (https://folding.lar.systems/gpu_ppd/brands/nvidia/) and not on the card detail pages.  I assume that will change sometime in the next day.

Looks like the stats have hit the detailed page, you are golden. 

• 1 month later...
Folding@Home Staff
1.3k 660
On 04/06/2021 at 10:22, Avacado said:

Looks like the stats have hit the detailed page, you are golden. 

Your stats are golden!

Owned

Full Rig Info

Folding@Home Staff
1.3k 660
6 minutes ago, Avacado said:

Lies No GIF

Untitled.png

Owned

Full Rig Info

Folding@Home Staff
1.3k 660

I saw some posts about wanting LARS to be refreshed monthly instead of quarterly. Lets talk about that.

Owned

Full Rig Info

It might be hard to figure out, but it would be good to compare the PPD average to the month before for cards that are not common as it would be easy to manipulate the stats for them without anyone noticing. 
Not that I don't trust you all, but it is pretty easy to manipulate the stats for a card so it will do really good the next month and it might be tempting (already discussed this with @firedfly).

One downside might be that after a reset a not so common card is not used with the LARS Extention for a month so you'll have to use the extention to make it eligible for the next month. 

Owned

Full Rig Info

Folding@Home Staff - Team Lead
1.1k 977
10 minutes ago, Bastiaan_NL said:

It might be hard to figure out, but it would be good to compare the PPD average to the month before for cards that are not common as it would be easy to manipulate the stats for them without anyone noticing. 
Not that I don't trust you all, but it is pretty easy to manipulate the stats for a card so it will do really good the next month and it might be tempting (already discussed this with @firedfly).

One downside might be that after a reset a not so common card is not used with the LARS Extention for a month so you'll have to use the extention to make it eligible for the next month. 

Or there is the case of my HD 7850 where I kind of screwed myself overclocking hard before the official start of the competition.

I'm thinking I'm going to change my ETF card next month, and fold my HD 7850 at stock for a few months or until whenever it corrects itself.

I ordered a GTX 750 (non-Ti) for next month's ETF. As soon as it gets here I'm going to fold it at stock to create a baseline. I don't think it has voltage control so I doubt I'll have another epic overclock percentage but it's something.

You guys got me addicted to folding now.

Owned

CPU: Ryzen 9 5950x
MOTHERBOARD: B550 PG Velocita
RAM: 4x8GB Ballistix
GPU: RX 6900 XT
PSU: LEADEX V Platinum 1KW
CASE: QUBE 500
SSD/NVME: T-FORCE CARDEA A440 PRO
Full Rig Info

Cheap

Owned

CPU: Ryzen 5 5500
MOTHERBOARD: X470 TAICHI
RAM: Crucial Ballistix MAX 2x8GB
PSU: EVGA SUPERNOVA P5
SSD/NVME: Silicon Power A60 256GB
GPU: Quadro M4000
GPU 2: Quadro M4000
GPU 3: Quadro M2000
Full Rig Info

It could be like @BWG has a 960 that has put out 43 work units in just a few short days.  Hmmmmm.....  something wrong here.  

Screenshot_20210809-152456_Chrome.jpg

Owned

CPU: Intel I9-10850k
GPU: Gigabyte Arous 1080ti
GPU 2: EVGA 1080
MOTHERBOARD: MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Edge wifi
RAM: 23 gigs G-skill Trident Z
PSU: Corsair HX1050
CASE: Cougar Darkblader
SSD/NVME: WD Black 1tb NVME
Full Rig Info

Folding@Home Staff
1.3k 660

Covid-19 Moonshot Projects are really small and big PPD. Make sure you guys have your project picked in the client to get some.

Owned

Full Rig Info

Folding@Home Staff
1.3k 660
30 minutes ago, damric said:

Or there is the case of my HD 7850 where I kind of screwed myself overclocking hard before the official start of the competition.

I'm thinking I'm going to change my ETF card next month, and fold my HD 7850 at stock for a few months or until whenever it corrects itself.

I ordered a GTX 750 (non-Ti) for next month's ETF. As soon as it gets here I'm going to fold it at stock to create a baseline. I don't think it has voltage control so I doubt I'll have another epic overclock percentage but it's something.

You guys got me addicted to folding now.

I folded my 960 right with ya oc'd. You're still smashing everyone.

Owned

Full Rig Info