Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, register to take part in our community, don't worry this is a simple FREE process that requires minimal information for you to signup.

Registered users can: 

• Start new topics and reply to others.
  • Show off your PC using our Rig Creator feature.
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get updates.
  • Get your own profile page to customize.
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.
  • Upgrade to Premium to unlock additional sites features.
IGNORED

ETF Lounge

BWG

Folding@Home Staff - Team Lead
1.1k 976
10 minutes ago, BWG said:

I folded my 960 right with ya oc'd. You're still smashing everyone.

Do you think those moonshot projects would help Michele?

Your GTX 960 is sick and your team is rapidly catching up to mine. I'm constantly looking over my shoulder at you.

• Thanks 1

Owned

CPU: Ryzen 9 5950x
MOTHERBOARD: B550 PG Velocita
RAM: 4x8GB Ballistix
GPU: RX 6900 XT
PSU: LEADEX V Platinum 1KW
CASE: QUBE 500
SSD/NVME: T-FORCE CARDEA A440 PRO
Full Rig Info

Cheap

Owned

CPU: Ryzen 5 5500
MOTHERBOARD: X470 TAICHI
RAM: Crucial Ballistix MAX 2x8GB
PSU: EVGA SUPERNOVA P5
SSD/NVME: Silicon Power A60 256GB
GPU: Quadro M4000
GPU 2: Quadro M4000
GPU 3: Quadro M2000
Full Rig Info

Folding@Home Staff
256 376
1 hour ago, Ducrider said:

It could be like @BWG has a 960 that has put out 43 work units in just a few short days.  Hmmmmm.....  something wrong here.  

My 960 is currently doing about 35 work units a day with the covid moonshot projects.  That likely explains the larger number of work units.

1 hour ago, firedfly said:

My 960 is currently doing about 35 work units a day with the covid moonshot projects.  That likely explains the larger number of work units.

Tell me how to get those. 

Owned

CPU: Intel I9-10850k
GPU: Gigabyte Arous 1080ti
GPU 2: EVGA 1080
MOTHERBOARD: MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Edge wifi
RAM: 23 gigs G-skill Trident Z
PSU: Corsair HX1050
CASE: Cougar Darkblader
SSD/NVME: WD Black 1tb NVME
Full Rig Info

That's the P13456 which is doing so good? Cause on my 2080Ti it ruins the PPD..

Owned

CPU: Intel Core i9 13900KF
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z690 HERO
RAM: G.SKILL Trident Z5 6400CL30-38-38-28
PSU: Corsair AX1600i
GPU: Galax 4090 Hall Of Fame OCLabs Edition
Full Rig Info

58 minutes ago, Bastiaan_NL said:

That's the P13456 which is doing so good? Cause on my 2080Ti it ruins the PPD..

The wee little units are not good for more powerful GPUs.  There is some development going on for the next client that is looking to give more fine grained controls to the work server when distributing WUs.

21 minutes ago, tictoc said:

The wee little units are not good for more powerful GPUs.  There is some development going on for the next client that is looking to give more fine grained controls to the work server when distributing WUs.

Yeah, I heard something about that. I hope they find a way to make everything work 🙂
Besides that, there is not much to complain about. The cards pick up pretty good units most of the time, my EOC stats are from the 2080Ti and a 3090 24/7 and a 3070Ti was online for 24 hours the past 7 days.

Owned

Full Rig Info

Funny, I haven't seen that one on my better cards either. Might fire up the laptop and configure it for covid too, record for the GTX 850M 😂

Owned

Full Rig Info

Folding@Home Staff
1.3k 660

Multiple users are experiencing failed work units that appear to be a bad batch of work units. The problem appears to be fixed by restarting the client. You may want to check your etf rigs.

• Thanks 1

Owned

CPU: 5600x
GPU: EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
GPU 2: EVGA RTX 3080ti FTW3 Ultra
GPU 3: EVGA RTX 3080ti XC3 Hybrid
GPU 4: EVGA RTX 3070ti FTW3 Ultra
GPU 5: MSI RTX 3070 Gaming X Trio
GPU 6: Asus RTX 2080ti ROG STRIX
GPU 7: EVGA RTX 3080ti FTW3 Ultra
Full Rig Info

1.1k 976

OMG. I think I fixed it.

Ok so I noticed I lost some coolant from my reservoir on my ETF rig when I also noticed it was OFF. I pulled it apart last night and this morning. After looking it over it appeared that it leaked from a loose hose right on the CPU block (probably because I adjusted the frame's feet on Thursday and shook it around). I cleaned up the board but it still wouldn't act right. I suspected it leaked directly into the CPU socket, though it was hard to tell because it must have been a tiny amount of coolant and it must have evaporated quickly. The coolant I use is mostly distilled water, but it's most definitely conductive because of the metal additives I mixed. The titanium dioxide left a little white residue on the plastic socket cover where it dried. I knew I had to get that AM4 socket guard off so I could inspect and clean any residue. I've never been able to remove one of those without breaking it, but at this point I figured I already broke the mobo and maybe the CPU so what the hell might as well try. I watched a video or two on youtube where this little girl carefully takes a precision screwdriver to remove the plastic socket cover, and she made it look so easy. 5 minutes later I'm looking at plastic fragments of what used to be my socket cover 😭 but yes, there was some coolant stain on the metal socket connections. I cleaned them off with a fancy toothpick brush and some 91% isopropyl alcohol. I also cleaned the CPU pins. Next I took that CPU and what was left of the plastic pieces of socket cover and just kind of mashed it all together hoping for the best. I stuck the aluminum piece of a wraith stealth (I took all the fans off and use these for other stuff) on there, connected the power cables, keyboard and monitor, and jump started it with a screwdriver and bam into the BIOS we go. I dodged another bullet I think. I need to go ahead and assemble the rest of it, but while it's still mostly apart I'm going to clean my radiators really good.

• Thanks 2

Owned

Full Rig Info

Cheap

Owned

Full Rig Info

Though it sucks that there was a leak in the system and the cover broke, it is a kinda funny story to read. I'm glad you could get it into bios again and I hope for the best when you have it up and running again 🙂

• Thanks 1

Owned

Full Rig Info

1.1k 976
7 minutes ago, Bastiaan_NL said:

Though it sucks that there was a leak in the system and the cover broke, it is a kinda funny story to read. I'm glad you could get it into bios again and I hope for the best when you have it up and running again 🙂

Trust me I laugh at all of it, because there are funny parts everywhere. Poor Michele. She felt so bad that she went and bought me a new work light since my old one got lost. I think she went and bought me like 3 or 4 small presents today when she went out shopping. That light came in handy for inspecting the PCB.

When I went to look at my radiators, man they were caked with dust, another hose fitting slipped out. I guess I'm lucky I didn't have disaster sooner with these cheap vinyl hoses. I just pulled the whole loop apart since it already drained on the floor 😅

I'm going to wash and flush everything and I threw out all of that trash vinyl hose. I'm going to get something a bit sturdier.

• Thanks 1

Owned

Full Rig Info

Cheap

Owned

Full Rig Info

That's so sweet of her, and those work lights are really nice when working on hardware! 
I have one with a C-clamp, I just clamp it to whatever works best and I upgraded the bulb for a LED one which makes it even better 🙂

Now I know the fittings I use are really expensive, but I'm so glad I've done that if I hear about leaks and hoses slipping. I need to knock on wood but I've never had a single leak.

As for the dust, you might want to look into some dust filters for those rads. Yes they restrict the airflow a bit, but they are really easy to clean. My ETF system has filters on every intake which I clean once every 2 weeks, and I can't see any dust inside.

Good luck with all the work you have left 💪

Edited by Bastiaan_NL
  • Thanks 1

Owned

Full Rig Info

If you want to keep it on the inexpensive side, just use barb fittings with clamps, or even zip ties, with how low the pressure is on PC water cooling loops.  Many modern day water cooling components are just pretty garbage that's priced high, since it's a "premium" hobby.

Personally, I like monsoon free center  fittings, since I have found the barb side to be slightly overbore and/or the collar to be underbore.  They also have a double barb which helps to ensure that the tube is properly compressed against the fitting.  This makes them harder to snug all the way down on most EPDM or ZMT tubing, but in the many fittings I've installed (many hundreds at this stage) I've never had one leak.

• Thanks 2

1.1k 976
1 hour ago, tictoc said:

If you want to keep it on the inexpensive side, just use barb fittings with clamps, or even zip ties, with how low the pressure is on PC water cooling loops.  Many modern day water cooling components are just pretty garbage that's priced high, since it's a "premium" hobby.

Personally, I like monsoon free center  fittings, since I have found the barb side to be slightly overbore and/or the collar to be underbore.  They also have a double barb which helps to ensure that the tube is properly compressed against the fitting.  This makes them harder to snug all the way down on most EPDM or ZMT tubing, but in the many fittings I've installed (many hundreds at this stage) I've never had one leak.

Yeah I never have had problems with good old barbs with zip ties. I'm probably going to go back to using those. The cheap vinyl seems to have become too soft, though it's never been overheated or anything. I'm going to check out better materials when I rebuild.

Owned

Full Rig Info

Cheap

Owned

Full Rig Info

Folding@Home Staff
1.3k 660
On 21/08/2021 at 19:47, tictoc said:

If you make a Monsoon FanBoys club, they will come...

Owned

Full Rig Info

1.1k 976

When your ACX fans disintegrate, you got to pull out the Wraith Stealth fans.

IMG_20210826_094607779.thumb.jpg.26f73fe9713e73fae89bca6250149978.jpg

• Thanks 4

Owned

Full Rig Info

Cheap

Owned

Full Rig Info

Folding@Home Staff
1.3k 660

Now we know your inner deepest darkest desire is to be on team rat's!

• Thanks 1

Owned

Full Rig Info

1.1k 976
14 minutes ago, BWG said:

Now we know your inner deepest darkest desire is to be on team rat's!

Hah, I was going to post it in EVGA FTW fanboys.

• Thanks 1

Owned

Full Rig Info

Cheap

Owned

Full Rig Info

1.1k 976

@BWG @zodac @Supercrumpet @firedfly @tictoc 

Question on the ETF manual rules for hardware swapping, 1x with hardware failures.

If your hardware fails and you switch to a back-up card, can you switch back to the original card once you get it in working order? Would that charge you any hardware swaps or would you still be able to do one more swap?

Example:

My HD 7850 rig exploded last month so I switched over to my Vega 64. That was a freebie swap, right? What if I cleaned up the mess and want to switch back to the HD 7850? Does that charge a swap or would I still have 1 more swap not due to hardware failures?

Owned

Full Rig Info

Cheap

Owned

Full Rig Info

Folding@Home Staff
1.3k 660
1 hour ago, damric said:

@BWG @zodac @Supercrumpet @firedfly @tictoc 

Question on the ETF manual rules for hardware swapping, 1x with hardware failures.

If your hardware fails and you switch to a back-up card, can you switch back to the original card once you get it in working order? Would that charge you any hardware swaps or would you still be able to do one more swap?

Example:

My HD 7850 rig exploded last month so I switched over to my Vega 64. That was a freebie swap, right? What if I cleaned up the mess and want to switch back to the HD 7850? Does that charge a swap or would I still have 1 more swap not due to hardware failures?

Yes. The 1x swap from working hardware to new hardware is the only limitation. Defective hardware swapping would not be included in the 1x provision, and would be unlimited, but multiple times within a month might require proof of it being defective.

Owned

Full Rig Info

On 07/09/2021 at 20:37, tictoc said:

Is anyone folding on the same GPUs they were using back in the day on OCN?  I can't get my 980 stable at the same clocks, but I think it might just be the newer CUDA WUs are a bit more demanding and less tolerant of the clocks I was running on it before.

Still have my 9600gso in the parts closet. Would need to diy a cooler for it though.

$1,334.62

Owned

CPU: Ryzen 3600x
MOTHERBOARD: MSI a520-m
GPU: Power Color RX 6700 xt
CASE: CoolerMaster TD500
RAM: Crucial DDR4 2x8GB
CPU COOLER: CoolerMaster AIO 240mm
KEYBOARD: CoolerMaster CK721
MOUSE: Corsair Dark Core RGB Pro
Full Rig Info