Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, register to take part in our community, don't worry this is a simple FREE process that requires minimal information for you to signup.

Registered users can: 

• Start new topics and reply to others.
  • Show off your PC using our Rig Creator feature.
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get updates.
  • Get your own profile page to customize.
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.
  • Upgrade to Premium to unlock additional sites features.
IGNORED

EVGA FTW Fanboys

6 hours ago, Bastiaan_NL said:

Sucks to hear @Soulpatch, I guess there is some difference between the XC3 and the FTW3 afterall 😞

@firedfly Added 👍

Sad part is the board layout/chip placements are EXACTLY the same.  It's just the single mounting point that's just slightly off.  So they didn't lie to me entirely.  But we just moved 900 miles a couple weeks ago and I have far too much on the burner at the moment.  Adapting that single mount isn't going to happen when I can get a new waterblock in a couple days that I know fits exactly.  But it is what it is.  Figured I'd give it away if somebody wants to pay shipping.  Otherwise I'll end up maybe saving and modifying, or just trashing it.  Technically it was paid for long ago, so no real loss on the money, just more frustration than anything else since I had set aside enough time yesterday to dis-assemble the new card, assemble with the new waterblock and get it into the system.  So it'll be another week before I can set aside the time to complete it.  Which is fine, new block shows up on tuesday. 

Owned

CPU: I9-9900K
MOTHERBOARD: Asus Z390-E
RAM: 64Gb Trident DDR4 3200
GPU: GB 1070GTX Gaming
SOUNDCARD: Soundblaster G6 / Phillips SHP9600
SSD/NVME: WD Black NVMe 1Tb
SSD/NVME 2: Samsung 1Tb
SSD/NVME 3: Hitachi NVMe 500Gb
Full Rig Info

• 2 weeks later...

Can somebody help?  Apparently I was due for another kick in the nuts.  Installed the new 3080ti and now my video doesn't work.  Well, it partially works.  I can boot up, get to uefi, login screen and then the screen goes black and I get a no signal/monitor goes down.  I've been reading up on it but nobody has found a fix???  I've tried different cables, deleting drivers, went into uefi and disabled csm (which just rebooted back into uefi).  Removed the card and running it off of onboard graphics.  Even tried running it off of HDMI instead of the DP, but it doesn't make a difference.  What the f*ck was the point in waiting all this time to drop so much coin on a card that's worthless???  Apparently this is an issue but I have no idea at this point on how to fix it.  Even booted into safe mode just to delete everything and start over.  Booted with the card unplugged because somebody tried it, etc etc etc.  Everything is up to date.  Running 1000W power supply, so it's not lacking.  Any answers, thoughts, random ideas?  I'd rather not have to RMA, since I took the board apart to attach the water block.  That and I know it works just fine in any port when it initially boots up. 

I9-9900k

Z390-e

Owned

Full Rig Info

Sorry to hear this @Soulpatch... The only thing I can suggest besides all you've tried is trying the card in a different system and see what it does there.
So outside of Windows it works, and even the login screen/safe mode is fine but inside Windows itself it's not working?

Edited by Bastiaan_NL

Owned

CPU: Intel Core i9 13900KF
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z690 HERO
RAM: G.SKILL Trident Z5 6400CL30-38-38-28
PSU: Corsair AX1600i
GPU: Galax 4090 Hall Of Fame OCLabs Edition
Full Rig Info

17 hours ago, Soulpatch said:

Can somebody help?  Apparently I was due for another kick in the nuts.  Installed the new 3080ti and now my video doesn't work.  Well, it partially works.  I can boot up, get to uefi, login screen and then the screen goes black and I get a no signal/monitor goes down.  I've been reading up on it but nobody has found a fix???  I've tried different cables, deleting drivers, went into uefi and disabled csm (which just rebooted back into uefi).  Removed the card and running it off of onboard graphics.  Even tried running it off of HDMI instead of the DP, but it doesn't make a difference.  What the f*ck was the point in waiting all this time to drop so much coin on a card that's worthless???  Apparently this is an issue but I have no idea at this point on how to fix it.  Even booted into safe mode just to delete everything and start over.  Booted with the card unplugged because somebody tried it, etc etc etc.  Everything is up to date.  Running 1000W power supply, so it's not lacking.  Any answers, thoughts, random ideas?  I'd rather not have to RMA, since I took the board apart to attach the water block.  That and I know it works just fine in any port when it initially boots up. 

I9-9900k

Z390-e

Did you use DDU when you cleaned out the drivers? This does sound driver related. I would honestly do a fresh install of windows. Save the newest driver to a thumb drive for the GPU. 

9 hours ago, Bastiaan_NL said:

Sorry to hear this @Soulpatch... The only thing I can suggest besides all you've tried is trying the card in a different system and see what it does there.
So outside of Windows it works, and even the login screen/safe mode is fine but inside Windows itself it's not working?

If I disable the card, then flash the bios, the whole system will boot using the video card and will actually load everything correctly.  The resolution is absolutely horrible, since it's running something really low level.  BUT as soon as I enable the card it will jump to it's natural resolution (much higher quality) and then crashes within seconds.   Then I have to shut it all down, plug back into the onboard gpu and re-boot the system. 

Edited by Soulpatch

Owned

Full Rig Info

7 hours ago, Soulpatch said:

If I disable the card, then flash the bios, the whole system will boot using the video card and will actually load everything correctly.  The resolution is absolutely horrible, since it's running something really low level.  BUT as soon as I enable the card it will jump to it's natural resolution (much higher quality) and then crashes within seconds.   Then I have to shut it all down, plug back into the onboard gpu and re-boot the system. 

Then it sounds like someone possibly flashed a bad bios on the card? I don't have very many suggestions soul. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Avacado said:

Then it sounds like someone possibly flashed a bad bios on the card? I don't have very many suggestions soul. 

Ya, don't know.  If it had bad bios, then it came with them.  I flashed the bios with the rom long after this mess started.  It's alright, I've run the gambit and nothing has worked.  Really wish EVGA was actually open on the weekend when people could use them the most, but I'll be calling them on monday.  So it'll either get fixed or RMA'd.  Really be nice if they can fix it, since I've gone through all the wait/expense and time to fix this...but get the feeling it'll be a return.  Guess it'll be just a matter of how many more days/months or years it may take to get a replacement.   Obviously I posted this mess on a couple other forum boards (EVGA included), the people on there seemed to be the least help...which is oddly ironic since they seemed to have the most problem with it. 

Edited by Soulpatch

Owned

Full Rig Info

1 hour ago, Soulpatch said:

Ya, don't know.  If it had bad bios, then it came with them.  I flashed the bios with the rom long after this mess started.  It's alright, I've run the gambit and nothing has worked.  Really wish EVGA was actually open on the weekend when people could use them the most, but I'll be calling them on monday.  So it'll either get fixed or RMA'd.  Really be nice if they can fix it, since I've gone through all the wait/expense and time to fix this...but get the feeling it'll be a return.  Guess it'll be just a matter of how many more days/months or years it may take to get a replacement.   Obviously I posted this mess on a couple other forum boards (EVGA included), the people on there seemed to be the least help...which is oddly ironic since they seemed to have the most problem with it. 

Well, the good news is that EVGA has lots of cards in stock on their website. So you shouldn't have any issues getting a replacement. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/04/2022 at 09:00, Avacado said:

Well, the good news is that EVGA has lots of cards in stock on their website. So you shouldn't have any issues getting a replacement. 

That's what I thought...  Still took over 2 weeks to get a new one in.  Just got it yesterday, sent the old one back after testing the new one to make sure there wasn't the same issue.  Had to put down a HEFTY deposit on the credit card just to get it before 3 weeks.  If I hadn't, they told me it would have taken 2-3 months. 

• Respect 1

Owned

Full Rig Info

On 30/04/2022 at 22:43, Soulpatch said:

That's what I thought...  Still took over 2 weeks to get a new one in.  Just got it yesterday, sent the old one back after testing the new one to make sure there wasn't the same issue.  Had to put down a HEFTY deposit on the credit card just to get it before 3 weeks.  If I hadn't, they told me it would have taken 2-3 months. 

Good to hear you have a new one, and I hope it'll work like it should 🙂

Owned

Full Rig Info

• 4 months later...

As a tribute to EVGA I'm benching my 3090FTW3 again...

• Respect 3

Owned

Full Rig Info

I need to catch up with this whole EVGA thing .. but I know its not good.

£3000

Owned

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D
MOTHERBOARD: MSI Meg Ace X670E
RAM: Corsair Dominator Titanium 64GB (6000MT/s)
GPU: EVGA 3090 FTW Ultra Gaming
SSD/NVME: Corsair MP700 Pro Gen 5 2TB
PSU: EVGA Supernova T2 1600Watt
CASE: be quiet Dark Base Pro 900 Rev 2
FANS: Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC x 6
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: Intel Core i5 8500
RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) Kingston 2666Mhz
SSD/NVME: 256GB Samsung NVMe
NETWORK: HP 561T 10Gbe (Intel X540 T2)
MOTHERBOARD: Proprietry
GPU: Intel UHD Graphics 630
PSU: 90Watt
CASE: HP EliteDesk 800 G4 SFF
Full Rig Info

£3000

Owned

CPU: 2 x Xeon|E5-2696-V4 (44C/88T)
RAM: 128GB|16 x 8GB - DDR4 2400MHz (2Rx8)
MOTHERBOARD: HP Z840|Intel C612 Chipset
GPU: Nvidia Quadro P2200
HDD: 4x 16TB Toshiba MG08ACA16TE Enterprise
SSD/NVME: Intel 512GB 670p NVMe (Main OS)
SSD/NVME 2: Samsung 1TB 980 NVMe (VM's)
SSD/NVME 3: 2x Seagate FireCuda 1TB SSD's (Apps)
Full Rig Info

4 hours ago, Bastiaan_NL said:

As a tribute to EVGA I'm benching my 3090FTW3 again...

...don't you have two 3090 FTW3 ? At least they can keep each other company in the cold, dark and lonely nights ahead...

I think I'll take my 7x Classies from previous gens and put them all in the same cardboard box so they can have a game of cards and reminisce while the EVBots shine a warm red onto their coolers...   

• Respect 1

Owned

CPU: CPU: ><.......7950X3D - Aorus X670E Master - 48GB DDR5 7200 (8000) TridentZ SK Hynix - Giga-G-OC/Galax RTX 4090 670W - LG 48 OLED - 4TB NVMEs >< .......5950X - Asus CH 8 Dark Hero - 32GB CL13 DDR4 4000 - AMD R 6900XT 500W - Philips BDM40 4K VA - 2TB NVME & 3TB SSDs >> - <<.......4.4 TR 2950X - MSI X399 Creation - 32 GB CL 14 3866 - Asus RTX 3090 Strix OC/KPin 520W and 2x RTX 2080 Ti Gigabyte XTR WF WB 380W - LG 55 IPS HDR - 1TB NVME & 4TB SSDs
Full Rig Info

2 hours ago, ENTERPRISE said:

I need to catch up with this whole EVGA thing .. but I know its not good.

As we don't know all the facts it's not a good idea to judge, but I was pretty sad when I heard the news..

2 hours ago, J7SC_Orion said:

...don't you have two 3090 FTW3 ? At least they can keep each other company in the cold, dark and lonely nights ahead...

I think I'll take my 7x Classies from previous gens and put them all in the same cardboard box so they can have a game of cards and reminisce while the EVBots shine a warm red onto their coolers...   

The twins are still together. I also still need to do the thing we talked about, and it's on my list. Sadly I found out that the EVGA Z690 Dark Kingpin board doesn't like the EKWB active backplate, which means I need to use risers for the sisters.
Which reminds me, the slot spacing is probably wrong for the NVLink bridge anyways...

A game of cards sounds like fun, I'll ask my 30 series cards what they prefer. Pretty sure they like to see the daylight instead of the inside of a box... 😄

• Respect 1

Owned

Full Rig Info

system.thumb.jpg.8440e74a07f8c86a582b34a40e9bea0d.jpg

It might look like another one of my messy benchmark systems but this one was the most powerfull (and power drawing(and expensive)) system ever on my bench!
3090 FTW3 in NVLink with the 12900KF maxing out at 5.6GHZ in 8P with HT for some benchmarks. With the 1000W bios on both cards I saw up to 1500w powerdraw.

It kinda sucks that the watercooled card doesn't fit in the first slot, I bet the score could be higher with a higher clocking card as 'display' card..

• Thanks 2
  • Respect 1

Owned

Full Rig Info

1 hour ago, Bastiaan_NL said:

system.thumb.jpg.8440e74a07f8c86a582b34a40e9bea0d.jpg

It might look like another one of my messy benchmark systems but this one was the most powerfull (and power drawing(and expensive)) system ever on my bench!
3090 FTW3 in NVLink with the 12900KF maxing out at 5.6GHZ in 8P with HT for some benchmarks. With the 1000W bios on both cards I saw up to 1500w powerdraw.

It kinda sucks that the watercooled card doesn't fit in the first slot, I bet the score could be higher with a higher clocking card as 'display' card..

...I use two of these risers (PCIe 4.0) with no loss in performance per my own tests on 3090, and also 6900XT. With some rejigging, it should work for your SLI / NVLink and two w-cooled 3090s.

linkup40.thumb.jpg.eddad3d0a9597476d7a441db5f5047da.jpg

Edited by J7SC_Orion
  • Respect 1

Owned

CPU: CPU: ><.......7950X3D - Aorus X670E Master - 48GB DDR5 7200 (8000) TridentZ SK Hynix - Giga-G-OC/Galax RTX 4090 670W - LG 48 OLED - 4TB NVMEs >< .......5950X - Asus CH 8 Dark Hero - 32GB CL13 DDR4 4000 - AMD R 6900XT 500W - Philips BDM40 4K VA - 2TB NVME & 3TB SSDs >> - <<.......4.4 TR 2950X - MSI X399 Creation - 32 GB CL 14 3866 - Asus RTX 3090 Strix OC/KPin 520W and 2x RTX 2080 Ti Gigabyte XTR WF WB 380W - LG 55 IPS HDR - 1TB NVME & 4TB SSDs
Full Rig Info

1 hour ago, J7SC_Orion said:

...I use two of these risers (PCIe 4.0) with no loss in performance per my own tests on 3090, and also 6900XT. With some rejigging, it should work for your SLI / NVLink and two w-cooled 3090s.

Yeah, I have a pair of 4.0 risers but I have no proper way to mount those heavy cards above the board at the moment.
I used to have the board one level lower but to modify all that will take me a lot of hours. I managed to score about 330 global points with 5 results (not taking into account the loss of points from other runs dropping out of the list) so I'm pretty happy with that.

Btw, the Superposition score was way lower with two cards than one as expected. Also, most of the hwbot benchmarks don't scale at all with NVLink. Only six benchmarks I did are worth it, five of them with good global points.

• Respect 1

Owned

Full Rig Info

27 minutes ago, Bastiaan_NL said:

Yeah, I have a pair of 4.0 risers but I have no proper way to mount those heavy cards above the board at the moment.
I used to have the board one level lower but to modify all that will take me a lot of hours. I managed to score about 330 global points with 5 results (not taking into account the loss of points from other runs dropping out of the list) so I'm pretty happy with that.

Btw, the Superposition score was way lower with two cards than one as expected. Also, most of the hwbot benchmarks don't scale at all with NVLink. Only six benchmarks I did are worth it, five of them with good global points.

...this stuff is great to make the weirdest supports and mounts out of :

dahl_steel_strapping.jpg.cfb7ce1d5b716f78a295cd9e3989dc7b.jpg

• Respect 1

Owned

Full Rig Info

15 minutes ago, J7SC_Orion said:

...this stuff is great to make the weirdest supports and mounts out of :

dahl_steel_strapping.jpg.cfb7ce1d5b716f78a295cd9e3989dc7b.jpg

I should get me some of that 😄
But I'm not sure if I want to put two 3090's above an expensive motherboard with just that metal strapping. 
At least I know I can get the 3090's to work on that board, maybe one day it'll be a bit colder with a certain type of cooling 🤔

• Thanks 1

Owned

Full Rig Info

1 hour ago, Bastiaan_NL said:

I should get me some of that 😄
But I'm not sure if I want to put two 3090's above an expensive motherboard with just that metal strapping. 
At least I know I can get the 3090's to work on that board, maybe one day it'll be a bit colder with a certain type of cooling 🤔

...I love that stuff - easy to work with, but holds its shape. 

Certain types of cooling, eh 🥶?   Air > water > chilled water > DICE > LN2 (> and possibly liquid helium)

• Respect 2

Owned

Full Rig Info

3 hours ago, J7SC_Orion said:

...I love that stuff - easy to work with, but holds its shape. 

Certain types of cooling, eh 🥶?   Air > water > chilled water > DICE > LN2 (> and possibly liquid helium)

Don't give him any ideas...lol 

• Respect 1

25 minutes ago, Avacado said:

Don't give him any ideas...lol 

I'm sure that he was born ready for cold-induced extra speed 🥶 ...wouldn't surprise me at all if Bastiaan has some hefty copper ingots scurried somewhere & ready to machine his own sub-zero pots....

Owned

Full Rig Info

I'm kinda sad now because of this O11-D case, the FE was the only card that really fit without conflicting with either the side panel, reservoir/pump mount or both. I kinda wish I had a final card from EVGA. My last EVGA card was a GTX 670 FTW. Wife has an EVGA GTX 1660, which is the newest EVGA card in the house.

I do still have an old EVGA GTX 570 HD. I may just hold on to that now... 

Showcase

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
GPU: Nvidia RTX 3080 Ti Founders Edition
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB DDR4-3600 (@ 3733 14-8-14-14-21-35 1T GDM)
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
SSD/NVME: x2 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB
SSD/NVME 2: Crucial MX500 1TB
PSU: Corsair RM1000x
MONITOR: LG 48" C1
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K, Core i9-10900K, Core i3-13100, Core i9-13900KS
GPU: various
RAM: Corsair 32GB DDR3-2400 | Oloy Blade 16GB DDR4-3600 | Crucial 16GB DDR5-5600
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Deluxe | EVGA Z490 Dark | EVGA Z790 Dark Kingpin
SSD/NVME: Samsung 870 Evo 1TB | Inland 1TB Gen 4
PSU: BeQuiet Straight Power 12 1500W
CASE: Cooler Master MasterFrame 700 - bench mode
OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 10 LTSC
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: M1 Pro
RAM: 32GB
SSD/NVME: 1TB
OPERATING SYSTEM: MacOS Sonoma
CASE: Space Grey
Full Rig Info

6 minutes ago, Sir Beregond said:

I'm kinda sad now because of this O11-D case, the FE was the only card that really fit without conflicting with either the side panel, reservoir/pump mount or both. I kinda wish I had a final card from EVGA. My last EVGA card was a GTX 670 FTW. Wife has an EVGA GTX 1660, which is the newest EVGA card in the house.

I do still have an old EVGA GTX 570 HD. I may just hold on to that now... 

I've got a few 600-900 series cards I'd part with  if you are feeling nostalgic for an EVGA piece to rub like a genies lamp.