Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, register to take part in our community, don't worry this is a simple FREE process that requires minimal information for you to signup.

Registered users can: 

• Start new topics and reply to others.
  • Show off your PC using our Rig Creator feature.
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get updates.
  • Get your own profile page to customize.
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.
  • Upgrade to Premium to unlock additional sites features.
IGNORED

James Webb Telescope News thread

NASA’s James Webb Space Telescope launched at 7:20 a.m. EST Saturday on an Ariane 5 rocket from Europe’s Spaceport in French Guiana, South America.

A joint effort with ESA (European Space Agency) and the Canadian Space Agency, the Webb observatory is NASA’s revolutionary flagship mission to seek the light from the first galaxies in the early universe and to explore our own solar system, as well as planets orbiting other stars, called exoplanets. 

“The James Webb Space Telescope represents the ambition that NASA and our partners maintain to propel us forward into the future,” said NASA Administrator Bill Nelson. “The promise of Webb is not what we know we will discover; it’s what we don’t yet understand or can’t yet fathom about our universe. I can’t wait to see what it uncovers!”

Ground teams began receiving telemetry data from Webb about five minutes after launch. The Arianespace Ariane 5 rocket performed as expected, separating from the observatory 27 minutes into the flight. The observatory was released at an altitude of approximately 870 miles (1,400 kilometers). Approximately 30 minutes after launch, Webb unfolded its solar array, and mission managers confirmed that the solar array was providing power to the observatory. After solar array deployment, mission operators will establish a communications link with the observatory via the Malindi ground station in Kenya, and ground control at the Space Telescope Science Institute in Baltimore will send the first commands to the spacecraft.

Engineers and ground controllers will conduct the first of three mid-course correction burns about 12 hours and 30 minutes after launch, firing Webb’s thrusters to maneuver the spacecraft on an optimal trajectory toward its destination in orbit about 1 million miles from Earth.

“I want to congratulate the team on this incredible achievement – Webb’s launch marks a significant moment not only for NASA, but for thousands of people worldwide who dedicated their time and talent to this mission over the years,” said Thomas Zurbuchen, associate administrator for the Science Mission Directorate at NASA Headquarters in Washington. “Webb’s scientific promise is now closer than it ever has been. We are poised on the edge of a truly exciting time of discovery, of things we’ve never before seen or imagined.”

The world’s largest and most complex space science observatory will now begin six months of commissioning in space. At the end of commissioning, Webb will deliver its first images. Webb carries four state-of-the-art science instruments with highly sensitive infrared detectors of unprecedented resolution. Webb will study infrared light from celestial objects with much greater clarity than ever before. The premier mission is the scientific successor to NASA’s iconic Hubble and Spitzer space telescopes, built to complement and further the scientific discoveries of these and other missions.

NASA's Webb Telescope Launches to See First Galaxies, Distant Worlds | NASA

I will update this thread as new news and information comes out. I'll probably change the title later on to better represent the ongoing news coverage. Anyone who has interesting info or thoughts on this, feel free to update this thread as well! 

FRjH4MvXMAIBzwP.jpg?lb=1024,576

Update:

spacer.png

Edited by UltraMega
  • Thanks 2

Owned

CPU: 5800x
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS TUF Gaming B550-Plus
RAM: XMP 3600mhz CL16
GPU: 7900XT
SOUNDCARD: Sound Blaster Z 5.1 home theater
MONITOR: 4K 65 inch TV
Full Rig Info

Additional info:

Spoiler

The James Webb Space Telescope has an expected mass about half of Hubble Space Telescope's, but its primary mirror, a 6.5 m (21 ft) diameter gold-coated beryllium reflector will have a collecting area over six times as large, 25.4 m2 (273 sq ft), using 18 hexagonal mirrors with 0.9 m2 (9.7 sq ft) obscuration for the secondary support struts.

JWST is designed primarily for near-infrared astronomy, but can also see orange and red visible light, as well as the mid-infrared region, depending on the instrument. The design emphasizes the near to mid-infrared for three main reasons:

• high-redshift objects have their visible emissions shifted into the infrared
  • cold objects such as debris disks and planets emit most strongly in the infrared
  • this band is difficult to study from the ground or by existing space telescopes such as Hubble

Ground-based telescopes must look through Earth's atmosphere, which is opaque in many infrared bands (see figure of atmospheric absorption). Even where the atmosphere is transparent, many of the target chemical compounds, such as water, carbon dioxide, and methane, also exist in the Earth's atmosphere, vastly complicating analysis. Existing space telescopes such as Hubble cannot study these bands since their mirrors are insufficiently cool (the Hubble mirror is maintained at about 15 °C (288 K; 59 °F)) thus the telescope itself radiates strongly in the infrared bands.

JWST will operate near the Earth–Sun L2 (Lagrange point), approximately 1,500,000 km (930,000 mi) beyond Earth's orbit. By way of comparison, Hubble orbits 550 km (340 mi) above Earth's surface, and the Moon is roughly 400,000 km (250,000 mi) from Earth. This distance made post-launch repair or upgrade of JWST hardware virtually impossible with the spaceships available during the telescope design and fabrication stage. Objects near this Lagrange point can orbit the Sun in synchrony with the Earth, allowing the telescope to remain at a roughly constant distance and with constant orientation of the single heatshield and the Bus toward the earth and the sun to block heat and light from the Sun and Earth and maintain communications. This arrangement will keep the temperature of the spacecraft below 50 K (−223 °C; −370 °F), necessary for infrared observations.

This image gives an idea of why the larger size of the JWSC will allow it to see more distant objects. Because light gets essentially stretched out more and more the further it travels, a larger telescope is needed to see it. 

James-Webb-redshift-diagram.png?fit=1780

Owned

Full Rig Info

Very interesting stuff.  Been keeping my eye on this for a while, still not sure how I feel about it lol.  On one hand, what they're proposing is just, wow.  Seeing the beginning of the universe......  But on the other hand, how's this going to affect things outside of science?  Is this going to prove creationism, the big bang theory, or any other explanation to how the universe was created?  I mean, what are they actually going to see with this thing?  Don't get me wrong, I think this is fantastic, and hopefully it'll help answer some questions that are older than a millennium.  But....guess we'll see!  I'm just not sure that humanity is ready for something like this, but I hope I'm wrong on that. 🙂

Owned

CPU: Ryzen 7900x
GPU: Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX
PSU: Cooler Master 850w Platinum
CPU COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid PL360 Flux
MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte B650 Aorus AX
SSD/NVME: Solidigm P41 Plus 2TB Gen4 NVME
RAM: G.Skill Flare X DDR5-6000
CASE: HAF700 Berserker
Full Rig Info

Too much

Owned

CPU: AMD Opteron 180 @ 3.0GHz
MOTHERBOARD: Asus A8N SLI
RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS DDR400 @ 2.5-3-3-6
PSU: eVGA 600BQ
GPU: Sapphire HD5870
SOUNDCARD: Asus Xonar DG
OPTICAL: DVDRW with Lightscribe
SSD/NVME: 64GB HP 2.5" SSD
Full Rig Info

Too much

Owned

CPU: AMD Athlon 1100MHz
MOTHERBOARD: ECS K7S5A
RAM: 2x256MB Corsair XMS DDR400 @ 133MHz / CAS2
PSU: Antec 350w
GPU: ATI Radeon 9800 PRO
SOUNDCARD: Creative Live! 5.1
OPTICAL: LG 16x DVD-ROM
OPTICAL 2: IOMagic 48x16x48 CDRW
Full Rig Info

31 minutes ago, pioneerisloud said:

Very interesting stuff.  Been keeping my eye on this for a while, still not sure how I feel about it lol.  On one hand, what they're proposing is just, wow.  Seeing the beginning of the universe......  But on the other hand, how's this going to affect things outside of science?  Is this going to prove creationism, the big bang theory, or any other explanation to how the universe was created?  I mean, what are they actually going to see with this thing?  Don't get me wrong, I think this is fantastic, and hopefully it'll help answer some questions that are older than a millennium.  But....guess we'll see!  I'm just not sure that humanity is ready for something like this, but I hope I'm wrong on that. 🙂

When people say this thing is a time machine, what they really mean is it will see light from sources that are really far away and because light takes time to travel through space, the further away something is the further back in time we see it as. Like how it takes 8 minutes for light to travel from the sun to the earth, so if you look at the sun from earth you are seeing it how it looked 8 minutes ago. Likewise, if you look at a galaxy that's 10 billion light-years away, you see it as it looked 10 billion years ago except actually it will look a lot more red due to the light being stretched out when it travels over great distances.  

• Thanks 2

Owned

Full Rig Info

Updated info, this video has a good explanation of the overall mission plan:

Owned

Full Rig Info

• UltraMega changed the title to James Webb Telescope Launched successfully

I've been loosely following information on this, and I'm really excited to see what comes of this project. Thanks for compiling info and updates all in one place!

Owned

CPU: [AMD] Ryzen 9 3900X
CPU COOLER: [Cooler Master] MasterLiquid ML360R
MOTHERBOARD: [Asus] ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Wifi
RAM: [G.Skill] Trident Z 4x8 GB DDR4 3600
SSD/NVME: [Western Digital] Black 512 GB NVMe SSD
SSD/NVME 2: [Team] 4x 1 TB 2.5" SSD
HDD: [Western Digital] Black Series 3 TB HDD
GPU: [EVGA] RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: [AMD] Ryzen 7 3700X
CPU COOLER: [Cooler Master] MasterLiquid ML240L
MOTHERBOARD: [MSI] MAG B550M Mortar Wifi
RAM: [G.Skill] Trident Z 4x8 GB DDR4 3200
SSD/NVME: [Crucial] P2 500 GB NVMe SSD
HDD: [Western Digital] Black Series 2 TB HDD
HDD 2: [Western Digital] Caviar Green 3 TB HDD
GPU: [EVGA] RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Hybrid Gaming
Full Rig Info

I have been waiting on the James Webb to launch for a long time. Can't wait to see what it can see, kinda like when Hubble did the Deep field and Ultra Deep feild.

$1,334.62

Owned

CPU: Ryzen 3600x
MOTHERBOARD: MSI a520-m
GPU: Power Color RX 6700 xt
CASE: CoolerMaster TD500
RAM: Crucial DDR4 2x8GB
CPU COOLER: CoolerMaster AIO 240mm
KEYBOARD: CoolerMaster CK721
MOUSE: Corsair Dark Core RGB Pro
Full Rig Info

Antenna deployed today.

WWW.SPACE.COM

The antenna will eventually beam Webb's cosmic images to Earth.

• Thanks 1

Owned

Full Rig Info

Owned

Full Rig Info

Forward sunshield pallet structure lowered today.

Owned

Full Rig Info

Owned

Full Rig Info

WWW.TECHSPOT.COM

The observatory should now have enough propellant to support science operations well past its 10-year...

Apparently the launch had gone so well so far that the telescope has extra fuel now, and can thus last longer. 

Owned

Full Rig Info

$1,334.62

Owned

CPU: Ryzen 3600x
MOTHERBOARD: MSI a520-m
GPU: Power Color RX 6700 xt
CASE: CoolerMaster TD500
RAM: Crucial DDR4 2x8GB
CPU COOLER: CoolerMaster AIO 240mm
KEYBOARD: CoolerMaster CK721
MOUSE: Corsair Dark Core RGB Pro
Full Rig Info

Owned

Full Rig Info

Premium Platinum - Lifetime
766 1,669

I'm enjoying its trek outward as well, regardless of what they end up learning as the result(s) of its trip.

Further reading: If we live in a multiverse, then Where Is Everybody Else?

Edited by iamjanco

16 minutes ago, iamjanco said:

Fermi paradox applied to multiverse... Blow Your Mind Wow GIF by Product Hunt

Multiverse isn't something I follow much even though I would say astronomy is a hobby like interest of mine, it's just too speculative to be all that interesting; but as I understand it other universes wouldn't necessarily have the same fundamental rules. Something like atomic forces being ever so slightly different from ours would result in a universe that probably wouldn't even form general elements so the Fermi paradox probably wouldn't really apply. Well not only that but the Fermi paradox asks why we haven't found other life yet, and for any life in another universe, that's definitely why we haven't found it... being in another universe and all. 

There is an interesting podcast I listened to a while back with Edward Snowden and he talked about how alien life could easily use cosmic background noise to hide interstellar signals and the encryption would be so strong we'd never find it. It's also possible there is life out there and they have some kind of interstellar government (or federation perhaps) that has rules about avoiding contact with less advanced worlds like ours. 

Then again one of the aspects of the Fermi paradox is that life can be common but just never lasts that long. Perhaps in nature, anytime a species evolves intelligence they end up eventually consuming all the resources on their planet or just don't last for various other reasons, maybe viruses. The way things are going on our world, it doesn't seem far fetched at all that our species may not last too long. 

• Thanks 1
  • Respect 1

Owned

Full Rig Info

• 1 month later...

Owned

Full Rig Info

Owned

Full Rig Info

Premium Platinum - Lifetime
335 298

Total waste of time.  We already know its turtles all the way down...😛

TDM

Owned

CPU: 5950x
MOTHERBOARD: Dark Hero
GPU: Aorus 6900XT Extreme WF
RAM: G. Skill Ripjaws V 64GB 3600 14-14-14-34
WC CPU BLOCK: Watercool Heatkiller IV
WC PUMP: XTOP Revo / FLT 120 + 3 D5's
SSD/NVME: Samsung 980 Pro
CASE: Gutted Enthoo Pro 2
Full Rig Info

• UltraMega changed the title to James Webb Telescope News thread

New comparison image from NASA. Definitely a lot higher res. 

BIGTHINK.COM

It was supposed to have a 5.5-10 year lifetime, and take 6 months to calibrate. It's performing better than anyone anticipated.

• Thanks 1
  • Respect 1

Owned

Full Rig Info

Social Media Manager
1.4k 814

This is so cool 😀 i was looking into star photography some week ago pretty complicated hobby.

I wonder if we ever gonna find a planet with something that alive.

Owned

MOTHERBOARD: MSI MPG Z790i EDGE
CPU: Intel 13900k + Top Mounted 280mm Aio
RAM: 2x24gb Gskill 6400 cl36-48-48 1.4v
PSU: Cooler Master V850 SFX Gold White Edition
GPU: UHD ULTRA EXTREME BANANA GRAPHIC
MONITOR: [Monitor] LG CX48 OLED [VR] Samsung HMD Odyssey Plus OLED + Meta Quest 2 120hz
CASE: CoolerMaster NR200P White Mini ITX
SSD/NVME: 2TB Intel 660p 1tb sn850 1tb sn770
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: Asus Strix G15 AE 6800m 5900hx 32gb ram 1440p
RAM: MSI GT60 Dominator 870m 4800MQ
GPU: Alienware M11x R2 i7 640um Nvidia 335m 8gb Ram
MONITOR: Lenovo X270 1080p i7 7600u 16gb ram
SSD/NVME: Acer Chromebook 11.6
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: Ryzen 5560u
MOTHERBOARD: Beelink SER5 Mini PC Box
RAM: 2x32gb Sodimm
CASE: Jonsbo N1 Mini ITX
HDD: 8TB + 4TB HDD + 2 x Intel DC S3500 800GB
Full Rig Info

11 hours ago, UltraMega said:

New comparison image from NASA. Definitely a lot higher res. 

BIGTHINK.COM

It was supposed to have a 5.5-10 year lifetime, and take 6 months to calibrate. It's performing better than anyone anticipated.

Amazing comparison. Only increases my excitement for this project.

Owned

Full Rig Info

Owned

Full Rig Info

• 2 months later...

spacer.png

NASA’s James Webb Space Telescope has produced the deepest and sharpest infrared image of the distant universe to date. Known as Webb’s First Deep Field, this image of galaxy cluster SMACS 0723 is overflowing with detail.

Thousands of galaxies – including the faintest objects ever observed in the infrared – have appeared in Webb’s view for the first time. This slice of the vast universe covers a patch of sky approximately the size of a grain of sand held at arm’s length by someone on the ground.

This deep field, taken by Webb’s Near-Infrared Camera (NIRCam), is a composite made from images at different wavelengths, totaling 12.5 hours – achieving depths at infrared wavelengths beyond the Hubble Space Telescope’s deepest fields, which took weeks.

The image shows the galaxy cluster SMACS 0723 as it appeared 4.6 billion years ago. The combined mass of this galaxy cluster acts as a gravitational lens, magnifying much more distant galaxies behind it. Webb’s NIRCam has brought those distant galaxies into sharp focus – they have tiny, faint structures that have never been seen before, including star clusters and diffuse features. Researchers will soon begin to learn more about the galaxies’ masses, ages, histories, and compositions, as Webb seeks the earliest galaxies in the universe.

This image is among the telescope’s first-full color images. The full suite will be released Tuesday, July 12, beginning at 10:30 a.m. EDT, during a live NASA TV broadcast. 

NASA’s Webb Delivers Deepest Infrared Image of Universe Yet | NASA

Edited by UltraMega
  • Thanks 1

Owned

Full Rig Info

nvm.

Edited by pioneerisloud

Owned

CPU: Ryzen 7900x
GPU: Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX
PSU: Cooler Master 850w Platinum
CPU COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid PL360 Flux
MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte B650 Aorus AX
SSD/NVME: Solidigm P41 Plus 2TB Gen4 NVME
RAM: G.Skill Flare X DDR5-6000
CASE: HAF700 Berserker
Full Rig Info

Too much

Owned

CPU: AMD Opteron 180 @ 3.0GHz
MOTHERBOARD: Asus A8N SLI
RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS DDR400 @ 2.5-3-3-6
PSU: eVGA 600BQ
GPU: Sapphire HD5870
SOUNDCARD: Asus Xonar DG
OPTICAL: DVDRW with Lightscribe
SSD/NVME: 64GB HP 2.5" SSD
Full Rig Info

Too much

Owned

CPU: AMD Athlon 1100MHz
MOTHERBOARD: ECS K7S5A
RAM: 2x256MB Corsair XMS DDR400 @ 133MHz / CAS2
PSU: Antec 350w
GPU: ATI Radeon 9800 PRO
SOUNDCARD: Creative Live! 5.1
OPTICAL: LG 16x DVD-ROM
OPTICAL 2: IOMagic 48x16x48 CDRW
Full Rig Info

6 hours ago, UltraMega said:

Saw this earlier today. When you just glance at the image, it may appear as some random lights on a black background, but once you start to understand you're looking at and learn about the numbers associated with it, this becomes seriously fascinating stuff.

• Thanks 1

Owned

Full Rig Info

Owned