Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, register to take part in our community, don't worry this is a simple FREE process that requires minimal information for you to signup.

Registered users can: 

• Start new topics and reply to others.
  • Show off your PC using our Rig Creator feature.
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get updates.
  • Get your own profile page to customize.
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.
  • Upgrade to Premium to unlock additional sites features.
IGNORED

CES Sony: PSVR2, New Sony car company

UltraMega

Sony confirms PlayStation VR2 name and Horizon game

Sony has confirmed the name of its next VR headset: unsurprisingly, it’s going to be called PlayStation VR2. Sony Interactive Entertainment president and CEO Jim Ryan announced the name as part of Sony’s CES 2022 presentation, in a move reminiscent of two years ago when the PS5 logo was first revealed on stage in Vegas amid much fanfare. (It looked like the PS3 and PS4 logos but with a 5.)

Sony still hasn’t shown off what the headset itself will look like, but we know quite a bit about its technical specs already. PS VR2 will work with the PS5, of course, and Sony also detailed the controllers — now officially named Sense controllers — all the way back in March. The headset supports haptic feedback, eye tracking, 4K HDR, 90/120Hz frame rates, foveated rendering, and a field of view of 110 degrees, and it connects to the PS5 with a single USB-C cable.

Ryan also announced the first big new exclusive title for PSVR2: Horizon Call of the Mountain. It’ll follow next month’s Horizon Forbidden West, one of Sony’s tentpole releases for 2022, though there’s no indication of a release date for either the game or the headset just yet.

WWW.THEVERGE.COM

A non-Meta VR Horizon.

Sony pivots into cars with Sony Mobility and a Vision-S SUV prototype at CES 2022

During Sony’s keynote presentation at CES 2022, the company rolled out the Vision-S EV we saw last year, along with a new concept SUV dubbed Vision-S 02. But the big surprise (this time) is the launch of Sony Mobility, a new company it’s starting that will focus on electric cars. While the tech industry has been focused for several years on whether or not Apple might produce a vehicle, Sony already showed us a working prototype packed full of its technology, and now it’s going a step further.

WWW.THEVERGE.COM

Sony is exploring launching a commercial EV

Sony cars... never would have guessed. 

Owned

CPU: 5800x
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS TUF Gaming B550-Plus
RAM: XMP 3600mhz CL16
GPU: 7900XT
SOUNDCARD: Sound Blaster Z 5.1 home theater
MONITOR: 4K 65 inch TV
Full Rig Info

Sony needs to keep their focus on what they do best, digital media.  IMO.  Sony EV's.... :lachen:

What's next, is Pioneer Electronics going to the moon or something? :lachen:
EA Games stepping into solar panel tech? :lachen:

C'mon Sony, leave the car building to the car manufacturers, all I'm saying. 🙂

EDIT:  The new VR tech seems neat though.  Still not something I'll ever be interested in, VR tech just makes me feel weird when I try it out lol.  I do appreciate that they're advancing VR tech though for those that like that sort of thing.

Edited by pioneerisloud

Owned

CPU: Ryzen 7900x
GPU: Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX
PSU: Cooler Master 850w Platinum
CPU COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid PL360 Flux
MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte B650 Aorus AX
SSD/NVME: Solidigm P41 Plus 2TB Gen4 NVME
RAM: G.Skill Flare X DDR5-6000
CASE: HAF700 Berserker
Full Rig Info

Too much

Owned

CPU: AMD Opteron 180 @ 3.0GHz
MOTHERBOARD: Asus A8N SLI
RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS DDR400 @ 2.5-3-3-6
PSU: eVGA 600BQ
GPU: Sapphire HD5870
SOUNDCARD: Asus Xonar DG
OPTICAL: DVDRW with Lightscribe
SSD/NVME: 64GB HP 2.5" SSD
Full Rig Info

Too much

Owned

CPU: AMD Athlon 1100MHz
MOTHERBOARD: ECS K7S5A
RAM: 2x256MB Corsair XMS DDR400 @ 133MHz / CAS2
PSU: Antec 350w
GPU: ATI Radeon 9800 PRO
SOUNDCARD: Creative Live! 5.1
OPTICAL: LG 16x DVD-ROM
OPTICAL 2: IOMagic 48x16x48 CDRW
Full Rig Info

18 hours ago, pioneerisloud said:

Sony needs to keep their focus on what they do best, digital media.  IMO.  Sony EV's.... :lachen:

What's next, is Pioneer Electronics going to the moon or something? :lachen:
EA Games stepping into solar panel tech? :lachen:

C'mon Sony, leave the car building to the car manufacturers, all I'm saying. 🙂

EDIT:  The new VR tech seems neat though.  Still not something I'll ever be interested in, VR tech just makes me feel weird when I try it out lol.  I do appreciate that they're advancing VR tech though for those that like that sort of thing.

What Sony has always done best is build electronics...which they've been doing since the 1940's...I don't think building an electric car is that far out of their wheel house....but we'll see if it works out or not...there's a lot of competition.  Sony has it's hands in many things....just like Hyundai.  Everyone probably thinks Hyundai only makes cars but they make everything from offshore drilling rigs to RAM and SSD's. (SK Hynix)...though most spun off into individual entities.

Edited by Diffident
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, Diffident said:

What Sony has always done best is build electronics...which they've been doing since the 1940's...I don't think building an electric car is that far out of their wheel house....but we'll see if it works out or not...there's a lot of competition.  Sony has it's hands in many things....just like Hyundai.  Everyone probably thinks Hyundai only makes cars but they make everything from offshore drilling rigs to RAM and SSD's. (SK Hynix)...though most spun off into individual entities.

Good point. It seems pretty simple for any electronics company to start making cars. Just some electric motors and batteries on a frame really. 

Edited by UltraMega

Owned

CPU: 5800x
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS TUF Gaming B550-Plus
RAM: XMP 3600mhz CL16
GPU: 7900XT
SOUNDCARD: Sound Blaster Z 5.1 home theater
MONITOR: 4K 65 inch TV
Full Rig Info

5 hours ago, Diffident said:

Oh don't get me wrong, I completely understand that Sony has been involved with electronics since its inception.  I'm just saying that I don't know if I'd trust them with a car.  A receiver, TV, phone, etc....sure.  But making cars can quite literally become life or death if something's not right with the car.  Look at some of the Tesla accidents for example.  Then again, I'm also FOR decentralization and avoiding monopolies so I suppose another player in the market couldn't hurt.  I'd much rather see many smaller private companies getting into these things over big giant corporations, but hey they're the ones with the money.  So, on topic of Sony getting into EV's......I guess I'll just say that I can take them or leave them there.  I'm really not massively against the idea, just kind of "meh" on it.

I think a lot of my distrust is coming from this huge electric push we're seeing.  My own state has ruled that gasoline powered vehicles were going to be outlawed starting 2022 I believe it was (we'll see how that plays out / new vehicles only I believe it was).  Self driving cars aren't anywhere NEAR "there" yet.  And our current infrastructure, roads, signs, etc etc.....I just don't feel like we're ready even for non self driving electric cars.  Once we get the prerequisites out of the way, then by all means let's advance cars further.  But as it is right now, we're facing energy shortages.  We also have REALLY poorly maintained roadways as well (at least in my state we do).  The rumor mill also states that lithium is a relatively finite resource as well, and we have no further battery technologies beyond lithium as of right now.  By all means, I love to see stuff advancing.  But I do feel like we need to advance other areas first.

Owned

CPU: Ryzen 7900x
GPU: Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX
PSU: Cooler Master 850w Platinum
CPU COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid PL360 Flux
MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte B650 Aorus AX
SSD/NVME: Solidigm P41 Plus 2TB Gen4 NVME
RAM: G.Skill Flare X DDR5-6000
CASE: HAF700 Berserker
Full Rig Info

Too much

Owned

CPU: AMD Opteron 180 @ 3.0GHz
MOTHERBOARD: Asus A8N SLI
RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS DDR400 @ 2.5-3-3-6
PSU: eVGA 600BQ
GPU: Sapphire HD5870
SOUNDCARD: Asus Xonar DG
OPTICAL: DVDRW with Lightscribe
SSD/NVME: 64GB HP 2.5" SSD
Full Rig Info

Too much

Owned

CPU: AMD Athlon 1100MHz
MOTHERBOARD: ECS K7S5A
RAM: 2x256MB Corsair XMS DDR400 @ 133MHz / CAS2
PSU: Antec 350w
GPU: ATI Radeon 9800 PRO
SOUNDCARD: Creative Live! 5.1
OPTICAL: LG 16x DVD-ROM
OPTICAL 2: IOMagic 48x16x48 CDRW
Full Rig Info

15 hours ago, pioneerisloud said:

Oh don't get me wrong, I completely understand that Sony has been involved with electronics since its inception.  I'm just saying that I don't know if I'd trust them with a car.  A receiver, TV, phone, etc....sure.  But making cars can quite literally become life or death if something's not right with the car.  Look at some of the Tesla accidents for example.  Then again, I'm also FOR decentralization and avoiding monopolies so I suppose another player in the market couldn't hurt.  I'd much rather see many smaller private companies getting into these things over big giant corporations, but hey they're the ones with the money.  So, on topic of Sony getting into EV's......I guess I'll just say that I can take them or leave them there.  I'm really not massively against the idea, just kind of "meh" on it.

I think a lot of my distrust is coming from this huge electric push we're seeing.  My own state has ruled that gasoline powered vehicles were going to be outlawed starting 2022 I believe it was (we'll see how that plays out / new vehicles only I believe it was).  Self driving cars aren't anywhere NEAR "there" yet.  And our current infrastructure, roads, signs, etc etc.....I just don't feel like we're ready even for non self driving electric cars.  Once we get the prerequisites out of the way, then by all means let's advance cars further.  But as it is right now, we're facing energy shortages.  We also have REALLY poorly maintained roadways as well (at least in my state we do).  The rumor mill also states that lithium is a relatively finite resource as well, and we have no further battery technologies beyond lithium as of right now.  By all means, I love to see stuff advancing.  But I do feel like we need to advance other areas first.

There needs to be some more thoughtful effort put into electric cars, which is what you're beginning to see now from other car manufacturers. Tesla's a bad example for anything other than creating the initial push, because their execution in terms of the actual vehicles themselves has been crap. They're a technology marketing company that has been making things up as they go along with respect to manufacturing. The cars are soulless, poorly assembled, and lazily designed. Never has a car that goes 0-60 in less than 3 seconds been so uninspiring. Their level 2 autonomous driving solution should never have been called "Autopilot" because of the implication to the customer, but it's par for the course for X Æ A-12 Sr. to create chaos and let other people actually educate the masses and clean up his messes.

People like to draw parallels between Tesla and Apple, but Tesla's closer to Bose home theater speakers or Beats headphones. Tesla ptiches products like Apple but what they actually deliver is closer to Packard Bell or eMachines.

In other words, I would trust Sony with a creating an electric car more than I trust a company as reckless as Tesla.

Edited by Snakecharmed
  • Thanks 1

Owned

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7900X
MOTHERBOARD: Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming WiFi
RAM: 64 GB (2x32 GB) G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 CL30
GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming
SSD/NVME: 1 TB WD_BLACK SN850X PCIe 4.0 NVMe
SSD/NVME 2: 2 TB WD_BLACK SN770 PCIe 4.0 NVMe
MONITOR: 38" LG UltraGear 38GN950-B 3840x1600 144 Hz
MONITOR 2: 55" Samsung Neo QLED QN85A 4K 120 Hz 4:4:4
Full Rig Info