Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, register to take part in our community, don't worry this is a simple FREE process that requires minimal information for you to signup.

Registered users can: 

• Start new topics and reply to others.
  • Show off your PC using our Rig Creator feature.
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get updates.
  • Get your own profile page to customize.
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.
  • Upgrade to Premium to unlock additional sites features.
IGNORED

Aorus X570 bclk overclocking.

Alastair
Go to solution Solved by PCSarge,

9 hours ago, ENTERPRISE said:

Playing devils advocate, but why would a software tweak for base clock make a difference if the BIOS adjustment doesn't work ? I could be missing a point. 

Well since the drive in question doesn't show up in bios when at 101. I just wanted to see if I boot everything at stock and then increase base clock in software if that does anything at all. It my not work at all but 🤷🏻 what the heck

8 hours ago, PCSarge said:

he keeps putting too much effort for 50mhz.

software tweaks cause many other problems. features are disabled in them for a reason. so you dont break anything

The things we do for those mhz. 

Owned

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X @ 4.65GHz (1T)/ 4.4GHZ (16T)
MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte Aorus X570 Pro-Wifi
RAM: Avexir Core 2 3600MHz 18-20-20-38 1T C-Die
GPU: MSI Vega 64 Wave. (Vega 64 LC) 1770/1150
PSU: CoolerMaster V1300 Platinum
SSD/NVME: Muskin Pilot-E 1TB PCI-E 3.0
SSD/NVME 2: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB
SSD/NVME 3: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB
Full Rig Info

2 hours ago, Alastair said:

Well since the drive in question doesn't show up in bios when at 101. I just wanted to see if I boot everything at stock and then increase base clock in software if that does anything at all. It my not work at all but 🤷🏻 what the heck

if only we paid this much attention to detail with our wives.......they'd either kill us or love us more

Owned

CPU: AMD R7 7800X3D
GPU: AMD RX Sapphire 7800XT Pure
MOTHERBOARD: MSI B650M Project Zero
RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB 32-38-38 @ 6200mhz
SSD/NVME: Sabrent Rocket NVMe 500GB (Windows)
SSD/NVME 2: WD Black SN850X 4TB (Games)
SSD/NVME 3: Cruicial MX 500 2TB (Programs)
SSD/NVME 4: Crucial MX 300 1TB (Documents/Downloads)
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: Xeon 5345 @ 2.3GHZ
CPU 2: Xeon 5345 @ 2.3GHZ
MOTHERBOARD: Intel S5000PSL E-ATX
RAM: 32GB Hynix ECC DDR2 667Mhz
CPU COOLER: 2x Dynatron 2U Heatsinks
SSD/NVME: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB
HDD: Seagate Firecuda Compute 2TB
OPERATING SYSTEM: Winodws Server 2019 Standard
Full Rig Info

I personally have always stayed away from base clock tweaking just for the instability issues alone. If it were just an Overclocking only rig, sure why not. But as my work/gaming rig, certainly not worth it.  Not saying do not do it, everyone is free to do whatever they like with their gear, just me personally I stay away from it. 

£3000

Owned

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D
MOTHERBOARD: MSI Meg Ace X670E
RAM: Corsair Dominator Titanium 64GB (6000MT/s)
GPU: EVGA 3090 FTW Ultra Gaming
SSD/NVME: Corsair MP700 Pro Gen 5 2TB
PSU: EVGA Supernova T2 1600Watt
CASE: be quiet Dark Base Pro 900 Rev 2
FANS: Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC x 6
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: Intel Core i5 8500
RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) Kingston 2666Mhz
SSD/NVME: 256GB Samsung NVMe
NETWORK: HP 561T 10Gbe (Intel X540 T2)
MOTHERBOARD: Proprietry
GPU: Intel UHD Graphics 630
PSU: 90Watt
CASE: HP EliteDesk 800 G4 SFF
Full Rig Info

£3000

Owned

CPU: 2 x Xeon|E5-2696-V4 (44C/88T)
RAM: 128GB|16 x 8GB - DDR4 2400MHz (2Rx8)
MOTHERBOARD: HP Z840|Intel C612 Chipset
GPU: Nvidia Quadro P2200
HDD: 4x 16TB Toshiba MG08ACA16TE Enterprise
SSD/NVME: Intel 512GB 670p NVMe (Main OS)
SSD/NVME 2: Samsung 1TB 980 NVMe (VM's)
SSD/NVME 3: 2x Seagate FireCuda 1TB SSD's (Apps)
Full Rig Info

7 hours ago, PCSarge said:

if only we paid this much attention to detail with our wives.......they'd either kill us or love us more

Good thing I am reading this comment while the wife is busy. Otherwise she may just agree with you. 

Owned

Full Rig Info

10 hours ago, Alastair said:

...Just a few 'general' observations on this. BCLK oc'ing was s.th. I did automatically with prior Intel systems (desktop, HEDT)...and with strap 100, BCLK of 103.5 was usually my starting point. As BCLK clocking also affects  PCIe peripherals and RAM, it was mostly trial and error to find that magic max stable point. Generally, up to 105 was considered 'mostly safe' back then.

...my two X570 boards (3950X, 5950X) are much trickier re. BCLK...dropped drives and other 'niceties' can happen, or just a massive loss in overall performance. Keep in mind that the more recent Ryzen CPUs are already 'hyped' right out of the box (more on that below). Also, PCIe 4.0 is much more sensitive to deviations of BCLK than PCIe 3.0, and depending on the Ryzen chip in question, the same holds for the internal Infinity Fabric.

...there are some boards that let you adjust the PCIe clock separately from BCLK, but given the 'hyped from the factory' nature of these chips, your best bet is to throw good RAM at it and then use Ryzen Dram calculator to max your specific set...that is after you set the best possible PBO/2 for the processor. The recent Ryzens love fast & tight RAM and really wake up with the right combo.

Almost more important is 'extensive if not overkill' cooling, given the internal boost algorithms that have temps as a major input that determines burst and sustained speed.

• Respect 1

Owned

CPU: CPU: ><.......7950X3D - Aorus X670E Master - 48GB DDR5 7200 (8000) TridentZ SK Hynix - Giga-G-OC/Galax RTX 4090 670W - LG 48 OLED - 4TB NVMEs >< .......5950X - Asus CH 8 Dark Hero - 32GB CL13 DDR4 4000 - AMD R 6900XT 500W - Philips BDM40 4K VA - 2TB NVME & 3TB SSDs >> - <<.......4.4 TR 2950X - MSI X399 Creation - 32 GB CL 14 3866 - Asus RTX 3090 Strix OC/KPin 520W and 2x RTX 2080 Ti Gigabyte XTR WF WB 380W - LG 55 IPS HDR - 1TB NVME & 4TB SSDs
Full Rig Info

36 minutes ago, J7SC_Orion said:

...Just a few 'general' observations on this. BCLK oc'ing was s.th. I did automatically with prior Intel systems (desktop, HEDT)...and with strap 100, BCLK of 103.5 was usually my starting point. As BCLK clocking also affects  PCIe peripherals and RAM, it was mostly trial and error to find that magic max stable point. Generally, up to 105 was considered 'mostly safe' back then.

...my two X570 boards (3950X, 5950X) are much trickier re. BCLK...dropped drives and other 'niceties' can happen, or just a massive loss in overall performance. Keep in mind that the more recent Ryzen CPUs are already 'hyped' right out of the box (more on that below). Also, PCIe 4.0 is much more sensitive to deviations of BCLK than PCIe 3.0, and depending on the Ryzen chip in question, the same holds for the internal Infinity Fabric.

...there are some boards that let you adjust the PCIe clock separately from BCLK, but given the 'hyped from the factory' nature of these chips, your best bet is to throw good RAM at it and then use Ryzen Dram calculator to max your specific set...that is after you set the best possible PBO/2 for the processor. The recent Ryzens love fast & tight RAM and really wake up with the right combo.

Almost more important is 'extensive if not overkill' cooling, given the internal boost algorithms that have temps as a major input that determines burst and sustained speed.

As you say. BCLK is a pain in the @ss. However. I'm on the journey for any and every mhz I can. 

The x570s are being a pain with regards to sata etc. I may not get 101 as I expand my storage. So I may have to live with it. I am using PBO to OC. I am using the edc bug and a 200mhz offset as well. Along with my scaler and voltage adjustments that means with a boost multi of 46.75 means I am seeing clocks as high as 4722mhz. Of course I won't notice ~50mhz loss. The only thing bruised would be my ego. 🤣

Thankfully pcie 4 isn't a concern to me. Both my GPU and m.2 are 3.0 units. But as for ram. Welk Budget dictated what I could get at the time. So I bought the cheapest 3600mhz kit I could find. But alas the cheapest kit of 3600s ended up being Samsung cdies. Which are a bit iffy to work with and iffier to tighten up still. 

Overkill cooling. I got that covered. A loop a built up to keep a pair of Fiji's and a Vishera pushing 5GHz cool. Now days a Ryzen and an overclocked Vega are old hat to this loop. 

• Thanks 1

Owned

Full Rig Info