Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, register to take part in our community, don't worry this is a simple FREE process that requires minimal information for you to signup.

Registered users can: 

• Start new topics and reply to others.
  • Show off your PC using our Rig Creator feature.
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get updates.
  • Get your own profile page to customize.
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.
  • Upgrade to Premium to unlock additional sites features.
IGNORED

Case recommendation

firedfly

I'm looking to move my water cooled 3080TI setup into a case for use in my living room.  Do you guys have suggestions on cases to use?  Smaller would be better, but I know there are limits on how small I can go while containing the WC gear.

I plan to cool:

- EVGA Hydro Copper 3080ti

- a cpu (not sure which one yet)

I have the following pump/res and radiator:

Aquacomputer ULTITUBE D5 200 reservoir with D5 PWM pump

Black Ice Nemesis 360GTX® Dual-Core Xtreme Profile Radiator

Thanks in advance for your suggestions and comments!

Meshify 2 Compact? kind of pushing it though. 

your GPU length + radiator thickness = 344mm, case GPU length spec is up to 341mm GPUs with the front 25mm fans. Use a 15mm fan in front of the GPU and you should have room 🙃

Owned

CPU: Intel i9 10900K @ 51/47 1.26v
MOTHERBOARD: Asus Z590 Maximus XIII Hero
RAM: G.Skill DDR4-4266 CL17 32GB @ 4300 15-16-16-35 2T 1.55v
GPU: Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3080 Ti
SSD/NVME: Team Group MP34 4TB NVMe + WD Blue 4TB SATA SSD
CPU COOLER: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 + Noctua iPPC 3000
PSU: Super Flower Leadex Titanium 1000W
CASE: Fractal Design Meshify S2
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: Intel i7 8700K @ 47/43 1.22v
MOTHERBOARD: Asrock Z390 Taichi
RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4-3000 CL16 64GB @ 3200 16-20-20-38 1T 1.35v
SSD/NVME: SN850 1TB + HP EX950 2TB + SX8200 2TB NVMe
HDD: 4x Seagate Exos X16 14TB
OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows Server 2022 Datacenter
OTHER: LSI Logic 9207-8i
NETWORK: Intel X540 10 GbE
Full Rig Info

$600

Owned

CPU: Ryzen 7 5825U
MOTHERBOARD: SFX14-42G-R607
RAM: 16GB LPDDR4-4266
SSD/NVME: SK Hynix P31 Gold 2TB M.2 NVME
SSD/NVME 2: Samsung PM991a 512GB M.2 NVME
GPU: NVIDIA RTX 3050 Ti 4GB 35W @ 55W
OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2021
MONITOR: 14" 1080p IPS 60hz @ 72hz
Full Rig Info

Are you planning on cooling a 3080ti and a CPU with just one 360mm rad? 

What case are you using currently and how much smaller are you realistically trying to go? 

The 360GTX and 200mm reservoir already rule out anything SFF.

Owned

CPU: 5900X + Optimus block
MOTHERBOARD: MSI X570 Ace
GPU: EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra + Optimus block
RAM: 32GB Oloy Blade 3600CL14
SSD/NVME: 1TB SN750 Black
SSD/NVME 2: 1TB SN750 Black
SSD/NVME 3: 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus
CASE: LD PC-V7
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: 7800X3D
MOTHERBOARD: B650E-I Strix
RAM: G.Skill Flare X5
GPU: Reference 6950 XT
CASE: InWin D-Frame Mini
WC RADIATOR: MO-RA3 with 4x180mm Silverstone fans
FAN CONTROLLER: Aquaero
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: 12600KF
MOTHERBOARD: Z790I Strix
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo
GPU: RTX 2080
CASE: Sliger SM580
WC RESEVOIR: Phanteks R160C
WC RADIATOR: XSPC TX240 Ultrathin
FANS: Phanteks T30
Full Rig Info

19 minutes ago, Fluxmaven said:

Are you planning on cooling a 3080ti and a CPU with just one 360mm rad? 

What case are you using currently and how much smaller are you realistically trying to go? 

The 360GTX and 200mm reservoir already rule out anything SFF.

This was in a spotswood open frame case and was my first attempt at water cooling.  I've never enclosed the WC parts into a case before.

I don't need anything super small (SFF), but I'd also like to avoid any giant cases if possible.  A mid tower sized case would be fine... Though I'm doubtful everything will fit in one?

So, I'm quite inexperienced when it comes to water cooling.  I had thought to cool both the 3080ti and cpu with a single 360mm rad.  Do I need to rethink that?

Depends on the CPU but I'd want more rad space. 

Open frame is best case scenario for rads since there's fresh air intake and no restrictions. Any case is going to perform slightly to moderately worse depending on airflow.

It also comes down to your expectations. If you have some powerful fans you don't mind running at full blast, you can get away with less radiator. If you want to push overclocks, or have the system be quiet, you'll need more rad.

Most mid tower cases support multiple radiators. 

Owned

CPU: 5900X + Optimus block
MOTHERBOARD: MSI X570 Ace
GPU: EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra + Optimus block
RAM: 32GB Oloy Blade 3600CL14
SSD/NVME: 1TB SN750 Black
SSD/NVME 2: 1TB SN750 Black
SSD/NVME 3: 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus
CASE: LD PC-V7
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: 7800X3D
MOTHERBOARD: B650E-I Strix
RAM: G.Skill Flare X5
GPU: Reference 6950 XT
CASE: InWin D-Frame Mini
WC RADIATOR: MO-RA3 with 4x180mm Silverstone fans
FAN CONTROLLER: Aquaero
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: 12600KF
MOTHERBOARD: Z790I Strix
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo
GPU: RTX 2080
CASE: Sliger SM580
WC RESEVOIR: Phanteks R160C
WC RADIATOR: XSPC TX240 Ultrathin
FANS: Phanteks T30
Full Rig Info

10 hours ago, firedfly said:

So, I'm quite inexperienced when it comes to water cooling.  I had thought to cool both the 3080ti and cpu with a single 360mm rad.  Do I need to rethink that?

It's possible, but you will have to sustain high fan RPM noise to make it viable. I had the same issue in the Silverstone case review I did here on the forums. The UT60 was enough rad for a 9900K and 3070Ti, but during heavy continuous loading, RPM's were north of 2k. It certainly would not fit your 200mm reservoir though.

https://extremehw.net/all-reviews/silverstone-alta-g1m-case-sx1000-sfx-l-review/

• Thanks 2

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the suggestions so far!  I wanted to give an update on my plans and see if you guys have any more recommendations. 

The goal of this build is to have a gaming PC connected to my tv in the living room.  Low noise is the biggest priority.  I don't plan to overclock any of the components.  The intended use case is for games and, at times, folding on the 3080ti.

I've acquired a few more parts for the build.  This is what I have so far:

Aquacomputer ULTITUBE D5 200 reservoir with D5 PWM pump

Black Ice Nemesis 360GTX® Dual-Core Xtreme Profile Radiator

MSI Z690 MPG Edge WiFi DDR4

Intel Core i5-13600K

- Some Gskill DDR4 ram that will be pulled from another system (2x16gb, I think)

Based on suggestions so far, I plan to pick up another radiator to ensure both the 3080ti and i5-13600k can be cooled without ramping the fans up too high.  I currently have a Black Ice Nemesis 360GTX.  It doesn't look like those are in stock anywhere at the moment.  Do you guys have suggestions for another radiator to purchase for this build?  Will another 360 be sufficient?

@Avacado suggested I get a Heatkiller IV for the cpu block.  Is this the correct thing to purchase for my cpu?  Do I need a backplate as well?  

https://www.performance-pcs.com/water-cooling/water-blocks/water-blocks-cpu/heatkiller-iv-pro-intel-lga-1x00-pure-copper.html

As far as my initial question goes, I'm still trying to decide on a case.  I'm currently leaning towards a Lian Li O11 Dynamic Evo (https://www.newegg.com/white-lian-li-o11-dynamic-evo-atx-mid-tower/p/2AM-000Z-00094).  It looks like I can put a 360 rad on the bottom and another on the top with the pump mounted to the side fan wall.  Thoughts on this?  

I'd also like to thank @Avacado (again) and @Bastiaan_NL for further discussion about this project on discord.

If anyone has any thoughts/suggestions/etc, they are appreciated.  Thanks!

• Respect 1

16 minutes ago, Avacado said:

360mm top/bottom is easily attainable in the O11XL. I am not sure on the mini. 

I was looking at the O11 Dynamic Evo.  It looks like its a few inches shorter than the XL, but similar length and width.  I wasn't looking at the mini.  The O11 Dynamic Evo should fit well in the space I have.  I could probably move to the XL if I needed to (I have more space for a computer than I expected I would when I started this thread).

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, firedfly said:

I was looking at the O11 Dynamic Evo.  It looks like its a few inches shorter than the XL, but similar length and width.  I wasn't looking at the mini.  The O11 Dynamic Evo should fit well in the space I have.  I could probably move to the XL if I needed to (I have more space for a computer than I expected I would when I started this thread).

Should fit then. I have a bog standard old O11-D which is narrower than the new ones and it fits a HWLabs 360GTS in the bottom. That said it will block the bottom headers on your motherboard from access after installation, so if you ever need to plug in something to a USB 2.0 header like a flow meter or fan controller, you'll have to drain and take the rad out. Won't have to do that on the XL I think, but Avacado can confirm.

Showcase

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
GPU: Nvidia RTX 3080 Ti Founders Edition
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB DDR4-3600 (@ 3733 14-8-14-14-21-35 1T GDM)
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
SSD/NVME: x2 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB
SSD/NVME 2: Crucial MX500 1TB
PSU: Corsair RM1000x
MONITOR: LG 48" C1
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K, Core i9-10900K, Core i3-13100, Core i9-13900KS
GPU: various
RAM: Corsair 32GB DDR3-2400 | Oloy Blade 16GB DDR4-3600 | Crucial 16GB DDR5-5600
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Deluxe | EVGA Z490 Dark | EVGA Z790 Dark Kingpin
SSD/NVME: Samsung 870 Evo 1TB | Inland 1TB Gen 4
PSU: BeQuiet Straight Power 12 1500W
CASE: Cooler Master MasterFrame 700 - bench mode
OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 10 LTSC
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: M1 Pro
RAM: 32GB
SSD/NVME: 1TB
OPERATING SYSTEM: MacOS Sonoma
CASE: Space Grey
Full Rig Info

19 hours ago, firedfly said:

If you can accommodate the XL, just get the XL. I used to run 2x Acool UT60's (Top/Bottom) in it. I did have to take off the I/O cover on the MOBO, but hey, it fit. 

And they have gotten expensive, I only paid $100 for mine, but this front panel opens up endless possibilities with this case. I had them make mine in white (Just had to ask). 

WWW.PERFORMANCE-PCS.COM

That 011XL case has been great for you, and maybe you've swapped out the front with a previous custom panel, but now you're getting the itch to do something else with it?  Maybe want to step it up a bit?  We...

Edited by Avacado
  • Respect 1