Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, register to take part in our community, don't worry this is a simple FREE process that requires minimal information for you to signup.

Registered users can: 

• Start new topics and reply to others.
  • Show off your PC using our Rig Creator feature.
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get updates.
  • Get your own profile page to customize.
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.
  • Upgrade to Premium to unlock additional sites features.
IGNORED

3 yr old PC needs some love - Upgrading GPU to water cooling - Which Radiator?

Go to solution Solved by UltraMega,

Just now, DinoBull said:

I'd likely sell them. The RTX 2080 ti is still fetching $300 - $400 USD on ebay. New they are still crazy expensive! Ive seen them at $1200! Silly when you can now get more powerful cards at $800.

I do a lot on ebay. I checked and the loswest buy it now price for a 2080Ti is ~$250, which means that's about what it would sell for. After ebay fees and tax, you would get about $200 for it. 

• Thanks 1

Owned

CPU: 5800x
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS TUF Gaming B550-Plus
RAM: XMP 3600mhz CL16
GPU: 7900XT
SOUNDCARD: Sound Blaster Z 5.1 home theater
MONITOR: 4K 65 inch TV
Full Rig Info

This thread has taken a turn from:

I'm going to water cool my GPU and I need radiator suggestions

TO

I might scrap that idea and upgrade the GPU instead for about the same cost

Now considering the purchase of an RTX 4070 ti since that is what I was going to spend water cooling my RTX 2080 ti. Better still i'd sell the old GPU for a couple hundred and actually spend less than water cooling the GPU... Thoughts?

• Respect 2

19 minutes ago, DinoBull said:

TO

Now considering the purchase of an RTX 4070 ti since that is what I was going to spend water cooling my RTX 2080 ti. Better still i'd sell the old GPU for a couple hundred and actually spend less than water cooling the GPU... Thoughts?

Like I said earlier, it ALL depends on games you play and the goals you have for that rig.  If you're happy with the 2080Ti's performance, or maybe if you want just a LITTLE BIT more performance out of it (like 1-3%), then water cool it.  If you want it to be a neater looking rig, water cool it.  You want silence?  Water cool.  If you're after a bigger jump in performance, new GPU / CPU depending (in this case GPU).

Basically, what I'm getting at here is that water cooling isn't going to net you any increase in performance.  At least nothing tangible.  Yes, you'll be able to overclock a little bit more.  But is that overclock going to be worth the money invested to get it for such a small percentage increase?  No.  People that water cool proper, do it for other reasons.  Keeping the same loop for years (as mentioned by Avacado earlier).  Silence.  Higher performance across multiple builds by just changing the blocks out.  The looks of water cooling.  DIY'ing and building something custom 100% yourself.  There's many reasons why people water cool.  But to make a big leap in performance, that's not one of them.

Owned

CPU: Ryzen 7900x
GPU: Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX
PSU: Cooler Master 850w Platinum
CPU COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid PL360 Flux
MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte B650 Aorus AX
SSD/NVME: Solidigm P41 Plus 2TB Gen4 NVME
RAM: G.Skill Flare X DDR5-6000
CASE: HAF700 Berserker
Full Rig Info

Too much

Owned

CPU: AMD Opteron 180 @ 3.0GHz
MOTHERBOARD: Asus A8N SLI
RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS DDR400 @ 2.5-3-3-6
PSU: eVGA 600BQ
GPU: Sapphire HD5870
SOUNDCARD: Asus Xonar DG
OPTICAL: DVDRW with Lightscribe
SSD/NVME: 64GB HP 2.5" SSD
Full Rig Info

Too much

Owned

CPU: AMD Athlon 1100MHz
MOTHERBOARD: ECS K7S5A
RAM: 2x256MB Corsair XMS DDR400 @ 133MHz / CAS2
PSU: Antec 350w
GPU: ATI Radeon 9800 PRO
SOUNDCARD: Creative Live! 5.1
OPTICAL: LG 16x DVD-ROM
OPTICAL 2: IOMagic 48x16x48 CDRW
Full Rig Info

• Solution
27 minutes ago, DinoBull said:

TO

Do it. 4070Ti is a solid 40% faster than the 2080Ti. Definitely a much bigger jump than you would get from water cooling anything you currently have. 

WWW.NEWEGG.COM

Buy MSI Ventus GeForce RTX 4070 Ti 12GB GDDR6X PCI Express 4.0 Video Card RTX 4070 Ti VENTUS 3X 12G with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

Edited by UltraMega
  • Thanks 1

Owned

Full Rig Info

Isn't the 3090 faster than the 4070Ti?  I'd almost rather grab a used 3090 personally for that kinda scratch.  More VRAM available to it too, for the higher resolutions.

Owned

CPU: Ryzen 7900x
GPU: Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX
PSU: Cooler Master 850w Platinum
CPU COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid PL360 Flux
MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte B650 Aorus AX
SSD/NVME: Solidigm P41 Plus 2TB Gen4 NVME
RAM: G.Skill Flare X DDR5-6000
CASE: HAF700 Berserker
Full Rig Info

Too much

Owned

CPU: AMD Opteron 180 @ 3.0GHz
MOTHERBOARD: Asus A8N SLI
RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS DDR400 @ 2.5-3-3-6
PSU: eVGA 600BQ
GPU: Sapphire HD5870
SOUNDCARD: Asus Xonar DG
OPTICAL: DVDRW with Lightscribe
SSD/NVME: 64GB HP 2.5" SSD
Full Rig Info

Too much

Owned

CPU: AMD Athlon 1100MHz
MOTHERBOARD: ECS K7S5A
RAM: 2x256MB Corsair XMS DDR400 @ 133MHz / CAS2
PSU: Antec 350w
GPU: ATI Radeon 9800 PRO
SOUNDCARD: Creative Live! 5.1
OPTICAL: LG 16x DVD-ROM
OPTICAL 2: IOMagic 48x16x48 CDRW
Full Rig Info

33 minutes ago, pioneerisloud said:

Isn't the 3090 faster than the 4070Ti?  I'd almost rather grab a used 3090 personally for that kinda scratch.  More VRAM available to it too, for the higher resolutions.

The 4070ti beats the 3090 in most cases. 

• Thanks 1

Owned

Full Rig Info

8 hours ago, DinoBull said:

One of my old builds (The White Kraken (2019) by chrisjmartini - Intel Core i9-9900K, GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic ATX Full Tower - PCPartPicker) is in need of an upgrade to stretch it's life expectancy 2 or 3 more years. I have already decided that upgrading the gpu or cpu doesn't make sense as the board is a z390 and the gpu and cpu are already maxxed out (i9 9900k) for this configuration. Any newer GPU would suffer a bottleneck due to the PCIe version and other limitations. I have been building PCs for over 25 years but have never tried liquid cooling. My intent is to dip my toe into liquid cooling that GPU (EVGA RTX 2080 ti XC Ultra Gaming). The CPU already has an AIO liquid cooler installed that is good enough and should last a few more years. So i'm only considering the GPU cooling loop for now. I want the cooling to be optimized to push the boost clock and memory of the GPU as high as possible. The stock dual fan/heatsink on this card is already excellent, but likely no match for a higher end liquid cooling solution. Also of note: This PC has 12 fans! So I was looking to simply repurpose and not add any additional fans. Until someone commented that my fans have a static pressure value that is too low (1.4mm) for push pull on a decent radiator.
I have done a ton of research preparing for this but I am still a little unsure as to which radiator to use. I need some thoughtful suggestions from experienced liquid cooling gurus. The basic parts list so far (not counting the fittings & bending kit):

Suggestions on what 360mm radiator to use?

white-kraken-2019.jpg

That's a nice-looking build. 

My go-to rads are either triple-core 480s or triple / dual-core 360s copper/brass rads....generally, the thicker and more cores, the better - especially with the latest-gen CPUs and GPUs which have boost algorithms which use temps as a major input. Since you want to / need to stick to 360s re. available space, I highly recommend the > XSPC RX 360  - I have six of those in use (some continuously from as far back as 2013) in several builds with zero problems. Great performance and quality.

FYI, 2nd slide below is an old pic looking at a 360 single-core from a Corsair H150i Pro AIO and a TT CL 360 triple core (64 mm thick) - obviously, much better cooling than a single-core 360 but that might not fit your build, not least as with those, you probably should use push-pull fans...can't really go wrong with the XSPX 360 V3 though, subject to making sure it fits.

RX 360s in the back row

radscopperU.thumb.jpg.729f35bfed8a01ba1c13fc7c9e311d5f.jpg

Radcomp2u.jpg.4b99cf5c4a9cdcbf0550fb3484de080e.jpg

Edited by J7SC_Orion
  • Thanks 1

Owned

CPU: CPU: ><.......7950X3D - Aorus X670E Master - 48GB DDR5 7200 (8000) TridentZ SK Hynix - Giga-G-OC/Galax RTX 4090 670W - LG 48 OLED - 4TB NVMEs >< .......5950X - Asus CH 8 Dark Hero - 32GB CL13 DDR4 4000 - AMD R 6900XT 500W - Philips BDM40 4K VA - 2TB NVME & 3TB SSDs >> - <<.......4.4 TR 2950X - MSI X399 Creation - 32 GB CL 14 3866 - Asus RTX 3090 Strix OC/KPin 520W and 2x RTX 2080 Ti Gigabyte XTR WF WB 380W - LG 55 IPS HDR - 1TB NVME & 4TB SSDs
Full Rig Info

2 hours ago, pioneerisloud said:

On paper, the 3090 looks like an absolute beast of a card. And it is:

Specs RTX 4070 Ti RTX 3090
Architecture Lovelace Ampere
Stream Processors / CUDA Cores 7680 1,0496
Boost Clock (GHz) 2.61 1.70
Base Clock (GHz) 2.31 1.40
GDDR6X Memory 12GB 24GB
Memory interface 192-bit 384-bit
Maximum Resolution 7680 x 4320 7680 x 4320
Connectivity HDMI 2.1a 3 x Display Port HDMI 2.1a, 3 x DP 1.4a
Dimensions 285 x 112 x 42 mm 313 x 138mm
Recommended Power Supply 750W 750W

HOWEVER: Lovelace architecture is way more efficient with 3rd generation ray tracing cores and 4th generation Tensor cores. As a result, the 4070 ti is able to compute ray tracing and make use of use of its neural graphics more efficiently, giving you more computing power for less electricity. 

The upshot of this is that the 4070 ti is the more powerful card despite its smaller bus width and memory size. In fact, the 4070 ti is more powerful than the 3090 ti, an incredible statistic that is a testament to the breakthroughs the Lovelace architecture made.

Also, it uses far less power than the 3090, on average around 41% less.

Edited by DinoBull
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, J7SC_Orion said:

That's a nice-looking build. 

My go-to rads are either triple-core 480s or triple / dual-core 360s copper/brass rads....generally, the thicker and more cores, the better - especially with the latest-gen CPUs and GPUs which have boost algorithms which use temps as a major input. Since you want to / need to stick to 360s re. available space, I highly recommend the > XSPC RX 360  - I have six of those in use (some continuously from as far back as 2013) in several builds with zero problems. Great performance and quality.

FYI, 2nd slide below is an old pic looking at a 360 single-core from a Corsair H150i Pro AIO and a TT CL 360 triple core (64 mm thick) - obviously, much better cooling than a single-core 360 but that might not fit your build, not least as with those, you probably should use push-pull fans...can't really go wrong with the XSPX 360 V3 though, subject to making sure it fits.

RX 360s in the back row

Wow, you are truly a water cooling veteran. Thanks for the suggestions.

My CPU AIO cooler uses a 360 rad that is side vertically mounted in the case. I customized it a little with a push/pull configuration with the fans on that since there was enough space. However, for the space the GPU Rad will sit in (top), not enough space for a rad + the push fans + the pull fans. When added up, the height encroaches into the motherboard and AIO tubes for the CPU.

I may opt for just upgrading the GPU anyhow. It seems to be more cost effective performance-wise over the small performance improvements water cooling yields in this case.

47 minutes ago, DinoBull said:

Wow, you are truly a water cooling veteran. Thanks for the suggestions.

My CPU AIO cooler uses a 360 rad that is side vertically mounted in the case. I customized it a little with a push/pull configuration with the fans on that since there was enough space. However, for the space the GPU Rad will sit in (top), not enough space for a rad + the push fans + the pull fans. When added up, the height encroaches into the motherboard and AIO tubes for the CPU.

I may opt for just upgrading the GPU anyhow. It seems to be more cost effective performance-wise over the small performance improvements water cooling yields in this case.

...I used to build in regular cases, but not anymore...just be cautious because of the 'slippery slope', a GPU upgrade invariably leads to other upgrades...I use computers for both work and play and recently replaced the 3090 from my sig rig with a 4090 (left pic, right GPU)...the 3090 went into another work build (w/2x 2080 Tis) for some light ML and serious rendering (right pic). Now I am thinking about a mobo / CPU upgrade for the left side...

I use oversize water-cooling because the machines have to be, and are, absolutely silent, even the 4090 with a custom vbios at just about 700 W on its own...the 'left pic' setup has a combined 2520 x 63 rads and Arctic p12 pwm pst push-pull fans throughout...did I mention the slippery slope ? 

3090triple4090and6900XT.thumb.jpg.31af458171531ab055a98e9f053deb49.jpg

• Respect 2

Owned

CPU: CPU: ><.......7950X3D - Aorus X670E Master - 48GB DDR5 7200 (8000) TridentZ SK Hynix - Giga-G-OC/Galax RTX 4090 670W - LG 48 OLED - 4TB NVMEs >< .......5950X - Asus CH 8 Dark Hero - 32GB CL13 DDR4 4000 - AMD R 6900XT 500W - Philips BDM40 4K VA - 2TB NVME & 3TB SSDs >> - <<.......4.4 TR 2950X - MSI X399 Creation - 32 GB CL 14 3866 - Asus RTX 3090 Strix OC/KPin 520W and 2x RTX 2080 Ti Gigabyte XTR WF WB 380W - LG 55 IPS HDR - 1TB NVME & 4TB SSDs
Full Rig Info

Lots of good discussion in this thread.

my .2c, is any funds would be far better spent on a new GPU rather than water-cooling older hardware. I think out of all the poor pricing from NV, outside the 4090, the 4070TI is the most “stomachable” of the options. It hurts to recommend it, because NV really doesn’t deserve to be rewarded for their poor pricing strategies, but ultimately it would be a significant upgrade from the 2080TI, and after selling the 2080TI, the cost wouldn’t be mostly fair.

I think you’ll find the watercooling itch you’re beginning to get will only grow with time.. so I’m sure you’ll end up building a loop in the near future anyway.

Another thing to consider, is the fact that DLSS3 seems to alleviate some CPU limitation when it’s in use, and you’ll be able to utilize DLSS3 with a Lovelace arch GPU. I’m not a big proponent of the whole “FAKE FRAMES” thing, but it’s certainly something else that could be considered.

Edited by acoustic
  • Respect 2

22 hours ago, DinoBull said:

Good point RE: cooling parts life span.

All good suggestions on the radiators. Hardware labs also make the Corsair XR5 & XR7 Rads AFAIK. That's why I have the XR5 as a potential on the list.

Thanks for the reassurance on the aquacomputer rad. I live in California, which is normally very dry with low humidity anyways. So if I do choose that radiator, It'll likely be fine.

Corsair XR5 and XR7 radiators are rebrands of the lower end HWLabs L-series rads, with a markup and as such often end up selling for the same price as the higher end HWLabs Nemesis line. Same money spent you can get the Nemesis rads instead of paying the Corsair tax for lower end radiators.

I'd also avoid the Corsair pump/res combo. For the money spent its not only an underpowered pump, its cheap plastic materials. You get much higher material quality with Aquacomputer Ultitube, Bitspower, and Heatkiller would all be better options.

9 hours ago, acoustic said:

Lots of good discussion in this thread.

my .2c, is any funds would be far better spent on a new GPU rather than water-cooling older hardware. I think out of all the poor pricing from NV, outside the 4090, the 4070TI is the most “stomachable” of the options. It hurts to recommend it, because NV really doesn’t deserve to be rewarded for their poor pricing strategies, but ultimately it would be a significant upgrade from the 2080TI, and after selling the 2080TI, the cost wouldn’t be mostly fair.

I think you’ll find the watercooling itch you’re beginning to get will only grow with time.. so I’m sure you’ll end up building a loop in the near future anyway.

Another thing to consider, is the fact that DLSS3 seems to alleviate some CPU limitation when it’s in use, and you’ll be able to utilize DLSS3 with a Lovelace arch GPU. I’m not a big proponent of the whole “FAKE FRAMES” thing, but it’s certainly something else that could be considered.

You're not wrong about needing to think if its worthwhile to watercool older parts. That said a 2080 Ti is roughly equivalent to 3070/3070 Ti performance. For the money spent for a 4070 Ti which is roughly 3090/3090 Ti performance, yes its an uplift with newer feature, better RT, etc, but I don't know, doesn't seem worth it to me for the money. But you've definitely given OP some thoughts to consider. The DLSS and newer RT cores if you care about RT will certainly be an uplift over the 2080 Ti.

Edited by Sir Beregond
  • Respect 2

Showcase

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
GPU: Nvidia RTX 3080 Ti Founders Edition
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB DDR4-3600 (@ 3733 14-8-14-14-21-35 1T GDM)
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
SSD/NVME: x2 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB
SSD/NVME 2: Crucial MX500 1TB
PSU: Corsair RM1000x
MONITOR: LG 48" C1
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K, Core i9-10900K, Core i3-13100, Core i9-13900KS
GPU: various
RAM: Corsair 32GB DDR3-2400 | Oloy Blade 16GB DDR4-3600 | Crucial 16GB DDR5-5600
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Deluxe | EVGA Z490 Dark | EVGA Z790 Dark Kingpin
SSD/NVME: Samsung 870 Evo 1TB | Inland 1TB Gen 4
PSU: BeQuiet Straight Power 12 1500W
CASE: Cooler Master MasterFrame 700 - bench mode
OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 10 LTSC
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: M1 Pro
RAM: 32GB
SSD/NVME: 1TB
OPERATING SYSTEM: MacOS Sonoma
CASE: Space Grey