Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, register to take part in our community, don't worry this is a simple FREE process that requires minimal information for you to signup.

Registered users can: 

• Start new topics and reply to others.
  • Show off your PC using our Rig Creator feature.
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get updates.
  • Get your own profile page to customize.
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.
  • Upgrade to Premium to unlock additional sites features.
IGNORED

MALWAREBYTES: Stalkerware-type app developers fined by NY Attorney General

iamjanco

Premium Platinum - Lifetime
764 1,662

While I'm not a fan of our current state government ('nuff said), I did find the article rather interesting ( Source ):

A wealth of personal information

As far as the apps in question go, the release [PDF] explains what they can get up to without the device owner’s knowledge. This is a long extract, but it’s important to get a feel for just how much the device owner gives up privacy without knowing about it:

"Once installed on a Target Device, the Spyware App will copy information from the Target Device and transmit it to Respondents’ servers, where the information is made available for viewing by the purchaser of the Spyware App. Information copied and transmitted by Respondents’ Spyware Apps includes: call logs (including phone number, date, and call duration); text messages (including message content, date, and recipient); camera images and videos (including the image or video itself and date taken); location (including current latitude and longitude of the device); Gmail data (including an excerpt/snippet of the email message content, email subject, sender and recipient email address, and date); WhatsApp messages (including message text, sender, and date); Skype data (including message content, sender, and date); Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter data (including direct message content, date, and sender); and Google Chrome data (including browser history with URL and dates visited). "

The linked long pdf document (44 pages) mentioned in the quoted text above also is somewhat intriguing. 

Lastly, I probably ought to mention that I run the following three anti-spam/anti-malware extensions in my browsers just for the s&g's. Doing so also kills Youtube ads, which helps speed up getting to the meat of a matter: Bitdefender, AdBlockPlus, and Malware bytes (of course,  😉  ).  I do have to disable Malwarebytes on EHW and a few other sites though, because not doing so results in excessively long site loading times.

• Thanks 2

We really need new national data privacy laws. We have enhanced data privacy laws in my state, but we need it to be more and everywhere. 

• Thanks 4

Owned

CPU: 5800x
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS TUF Gaming B550-Plus
RAM: XMP 3600mhz CL16
GPU: 7900XT
SOUNDCARD: Sound Blaster Z 5.1 home theater
MONITOR: 4K 65 inch TV
Full Rig Info

• 3 weeks later...

I didn't finish reading the entire pdf, but I especially like how they talk about how  snooping can cause relationship problems and suggest that spyware is better...

I wouldn't be upset at someone looking through my phone, but I sure as hell would be if they installed spyware.

I think it's worth noting that the developers didn't hack phones to install their software. 

Users did it for them.  In cybersecurity it's pretty much a given, if they have physical access to the device, they can bypass security.

I know a guy who used to pass out drunk.  His wife used his fingerprints to unlock his phone, then programmed one of hers to be accepted.  He was cheating on her, and she used his phone to impersonate him and talk a lot of crap to the other women.

I don't see what "notifying users" will accomplish.  Nothing stops the user who installs it from clicking past notifications.  They would have to be reoccurring notifications but it doesn't look like the ruling took that into account.

If anything this judgement was way to light.  They should have seized servers and contacted the phone of compromised victims and ask if they wanted to press charges.  There's a conspiracy between the provider and user for sure, and it's likely the money trail isn't too hard to follow.

Aaron's law never passed, why do these guys get off so easily?

Maybe because it mirrors what the U.S. government already does....

• Thanks 1

On 13/02/2023 at 15:40, iamjanco said:

While I'm not a fan of our current state government ('nuff said), I did find the article rather interesting ( Source😞

The linked long pdf document (44 pages) mentioned in the quoted text above also is somewhat intriguing. 

Lastly, I probably ought to mention that I run the following three anti-spam/anti-malware extensions in my browsers just for the s&g's. Doing so also kills Youtube ads, which helps speed up getting to the meat of a matter: Bitdefender, AdBlockPlus, and Malware bytes (of course,  😉  ).  I do have to disable Malwarebytes on EHW and a few other sites though, because not doing so results in excessively long site loading times.

Any reason for AdBlockPlus over uBlock origin?

I'm on Bitdefender/uBlock Origin/pi-hole. Side note, never got YouTube adblocking to work. ever.

On 14/02/2023 at 04:16, UltraMega said:

We really need new national data privacy laws. We have enhanced data privacy laws in my state, but we need it to be more and everywhere. 

Yeah, something akin to GDPR would be a nice start imo. It's about time more people start caring about this stuff, but the people I talk to about it just.. well, don't.

Owned

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7950x
MOTHERBOARD: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB - DDR5 6000 CL30
GPU: Gigabyte GTX1080 OC
CASE: Lian Li o11 Dynamic Evo - temp until Caselabs opens back up
SSD/NVME: Samsung 980 500GB - Linux boot
SSD/NVME 2: Samsung 980 500GB - Windows 10/11 boot
SSD/NVME 3: SK Hynic P31 Gold 1TB
Full Rig Info

764 1,662
15 minutes ago, maddangerous said:

I'm on Bitdefender/uBlock Origin/pi-hole. Side note, never got YouTube adblocking to work. ever.

Not really, no reason. But the combo I'm using seems to be very effective against Youtube ads, at least far as Chrome on 64 bit Win 10 goes.

Just now, iamjanco said:

Not really, no reason. But the combo I'm using seems to be very effective against Youtube ads, at least far as Chrome on 64 bit Win 10 goes.

Word. Were YouTube ads blocked out of the box on that combo?

Owned

Full Rig Info

764 1,662
16 minutes ago, maddangerous said:

Word. Were YouTube ads blocked out of the box on that combo?

Pretty much. I don't get any ads these days on Youtube, as well as a few other sites that were problematic (e.g., Yahoo, which I follow because I'm interested in how today's media attempts to pervert its readers' thoughts -- I'm also into social psychology and sociology 8^)

Edited by iamjanco
  • Respect 1

3 minutes ago, iamjanco said:

Pretty much. I don't get any ads these days on Youtube, as well as a few other sites that were problematic (e.g., Yahoo, which I follow because I'm interested in how today's media attempts to pervert its readers' thoughts -- I'm also into social psychology and sociology 8^)

Interesting. ok, maybe I'll check out ABP then.

RE: Yahoo.. what now?

• Thanks 1

Owned

Full Rig Info

764 1,662

I'd rather not get into a discussion about why I follow Yahoo, especially here. Let's just say there was a time in the past when I was a somewhat proactive stuck-in-the-middle-with-you activist who was followed by people in various high places (literally & rhetorically).

These days I mostly just share music I like to listen to 😉

7 minutes ago, iamjanco said:

Let's just say there was a time in the past when I was [...] followed by people in various high places (literally & rhetorically).

what's higher than space 

Owned

CPU: Intel i9 10900K @ 51/47 1.26v
MOTHERBOARD: Asus Z590 Maximus XIII Hero
RAM: G.Skill DDR4-4266 CL17 32GB @ 4300 15-16-16-35 2T 1.55v
GPU: Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3080 Ti
SSD/NVME: Team Group MP34 4TB NVMe + WD Blue 4TB SATA SSD
CPU COOLER: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 + Noctua iPPC 3000
PSU: Super Flower Leadex Titanium 1000W
CASE: Fractal Design Meshify S2
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: Intel i7 8700K @ 47/43 1.22v
MOTHERBOARD: Asrock Z390 Taichi
RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4-3000 CL16 64GB @ 3200 16-20-20-38 1T 1.35v
SSD/NVME: SN850 1TB + HP EX950 2TB + SX8200 2TB NVMe
HDD: 4x Seagate Exos X16 14TB
OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows Server 2022 Datacenter
OTHER: LSI Logic 9207-8i
NETWORK: Intel X540 10 GbE
Full Rig Info

$600

Owned

CPU: Ryzen 7 5825U
MOTHERBOARD: SFX14-42G-R607
RAM: 16GB LPDDR4-4266
SSD/NVME: SK Hynix P31 Gold 2TB M.2 NVME
SSD/NVME 2: Samsung PM991a 512GB M.2 NVME
GPU: NVIDIA RTX 3050 Ti 4GB 35W @ 55W
OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2021
MONITOR: 14" 1080p IPS 60hz @ 72hz
Full Rig Info

1.1k 705

I use Ublock Origin, Https Everywhere, NoScript, PrivacyBadger, CanvasBlocker and Ghostery in Firefox, on Linux. I frequently have to do captchas and some sites think I'm a bot.

Phone I use Firefox and most of the same addons but not NoScript because its a pain to use on mobile.

I haven't gotten any malware, randomware or any crap like that since like 2008 but back then many of these addons weren't available.

NoScript gets my highest recommendation especially on desktop, it lets you selectively choose which scripts/outside scripts are being loaded in. For EHW everything is safe, but try going to OCN with it enabled and you'll see it has scripts from Twitter, Reddit, Facebook, Google, and others.

Edited by neurotix
  • Thanks 1

$5500

Owned

CPU: Ryzen 9 7900X3D 2100MHz fclk
RAM: G.skill TridentZ5 7600MHz 36-45-45-45 1.425v
GPU: MSI RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 3.135GHz/12.152GHz
MOTHERBOARD: Asus ROG Strix X670E-E Gaming Wifi
SSD/NVME: Crucial T700 1TB Gen 5 M.2
MONITOR: Acer Ultrawide Curved 3440x1440 144Hz HDR400 FreeSync
CASE: anidees Ai Crystal AR3 Midtower
CPU COOLER: EK Nucleus AIO CR360 Dark w/ PTM7950
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900x PBO 4.95GHz
GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Ventus
RAM: G.skill Flare X DDR4 3733MHz 16-16-16-32-50 1T GDM on
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero
CASE: anidees Ai Crystal Cube
PSU: OCZ ModXStream 550w
SSD/NVME: Samsung 850 Evo 256GB
CPU COOLER: Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: i5-7600 4.5GHz
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Strix Z270H Gaming
RAM: G.skill DDR4-3000 15-16-16
CASE: Silverstone Grandia series GD09
GPU: GT 710
SSD/NVME: Samsung 850 Evo
MONITOR: Asus V239H 1080p 60Hz IPS
CPU COOLER: Thermalright AXP-120-X67
Full Rig Info

On 06/03/2023 at 08:18, maddangerous said:

Ublock Origin > AdBlockPlus.  Adblock plus sold out years ago and they allow certain advertisements through.  Youtube doesn't play any advertisements for me.  I'm running it on Firefox, and I have configured Ublock's dashboard to pretty much include every list available.  Whenever I see an annoying ad, I purge/refresh my lists.  If that doesn't work I pull out the element picker and remove the advertisement that way.  It blocks all youtube ads on windows, linux, and android.  I use the firefox browser for my phone instead of the youtube app.  Though I have heard good things about newpipe. 

Twich.tv advertisements on the other hand....  My best attempts to block have left me staring at a black screen for the duration of the advertisement.  I consider that an improvement to seeing the same advertisement 12 times in an hour. 

Maybe one of these days I'll try and put pihole on an OpenWRT router.

On 06/03/2023 at 12:12, neurotix said:

NoScript gets my highest recommendation especially on desktop, it lets you selectively choose which scripts/outside scripts are being loaded in. For EHW everything is safe, but try going to OCN with it enabled and you'll see it has scripts from Twitter, Reddit, Facebook, Google, and others.

+1 for NoScript.  It's a real pain to get used to, especially on new websites, but it's easily one of the best ways to control what content you see. 

On 06/03/2023 at 12:12, neurotix said:

I use Ublock Origin, Https Everywhere, NoScript, PrivacyBadger, CanvasBlocker and Ghostery in Firefox, on Linux. I frequently have to do captchas and some sites think I'm a bot.

At a certain point I think it becomes easier for websites to identify you.  I used to use Waterfox, but quit because it's a lot easier to be identified because so few people use it.  I also ran into websites that refused to run because my browser was "incompatible" and needed to be upgraded....  It's literally a clone of Firefox with the telemetry ripped out.

• Respect 1