Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, register to take part in our community, don't worry this is a simple FREE process that requires minimal information for you to signup.

Registered users can: 

• Start new topics and reply to others.
  • Show off your PC using our Rig Creator feature.
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get updates.
  • Get your own profile page to customize.
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.
  • Upgrade to Premium to unlock additional sites features.
IGNORED

Malwarebytes: Google plans to scrape everything you post online to train its AI

Premium Platinum - Lifetime
766 1,669

Interesting read...

Additions to Google’s Privacy Policy are making some observers worry that all of your content is about to be fed into Google's AI tools. Alterations to the T&Cs now explicitly state that your “publicly available information” will be used to train in-house Google AI models alongside other products.

From the Privacy Policy page:

In some circumstances, Google also collects information about you from publicly accessible sources. For example, if your name appears in your local newspaper, Google’s search engine may index that article and display it to other people if they search for your name. We may also collect information about you from trusted partners, such as directory services who provide us with business information to be displayed on Google’s services, marketing partners who provide us with information about potential customers of our business services, and security partners who provide us with information to protect against abuse. We also receive information from advertising partners to provide advertising and research services on their behalf.

Source

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, iamjanco said:

oops, sorry: this might fit better in rumors; could a mod please accommodate that? TIA!

Google planning to over do it with data... Doesn't sound like a rumor to me 🤣

Owned

CPU: 5800x
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS TUF Gaming B550-Plus
RAM: XMP 3600mhz CL16
GPU: 7900XT
SOUNDCARD: Sound Blaster Z 5.1 home theater
MONITOR: 4K 65 inch TV
Full Rig Info

......Just because you can, doesn't mean you should! 

Totally not surprised. Google within reason has a virtually unlimited library of information, whether it be publicly available or not. So if they want to train an AI system, they have a good pool of information to say the least.

• Thanks 2

£3000

Owned

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D
MOTHERBOARD: MSI Meg Ace X670E
RAM: Corsair Dominator Titanium 64GB (6000MT/s)
GPU: EVGA 3090 FTW Ultra Gaming
SSD/NVME: Corsair MP700 Pro Gen 5 2TB
PSU: EVGA Supernova T2 1600Watt
CASE: be quiet Dark Base Pro 900 Rev 2
FANS: Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC x 6
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: Intel Core i5 8500
RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) Kingston 2666Mhz
SSD/NVME: 256GB Samsung NVMe
NETWORK: HP 561T 10Gbe (Intel X540 T2)
MOTHERBOARD: Proprietry
GPU: Intel UHD Graphics 630
PSU: 90Watt
CASE: HP EliteDesk 800 G4 SFF
Full Rig Info

£3000

Owned

CPU: 2 x Xeon|E5-2696-V4 (44C/88T)
RAM: 128GB|16 x 8GB - DDR4 2400MHz (2Rx8)
MOTHERBOARD: HP Z840|Intel C612 Chipset
GPU: Nvidia Quadro P2200
HDD: 4x 16TB Toshiba MG08ACA16TE Enterprise
SSD/NVME: Intel 512GB 670p NVMe (Main OS)
SSD/NVME 2: Samsung 1TB 980 NVMe (VM's)
SSD/NVME 3: 2x Seagate FireCuda 1TB SSD's (Apps)
Full Rig Info

I don't know why everyone is so bent up about privacy in 2023, it's non-existent anymore. I'm not saying people shouldn't want their privacy, but people thinking that you will still be able to keep it in this modern age is pointless to me. 

766 1,669
4 hours ago, Avacado said:

I don't know why everyone is so bent up about privacy in 2023, it's non-existent anymore. I'm not saying people shouldn't want their privacy, but people thinking that you will still be able to keep it in this modern age is pointless to me. 

Mostly true bud, but not necessarily pointless (at least in my case).  Let me explain.

Over the three decades I've been online my personal data has been found on the 'dark web' multiple times. I dealt with each reported instance by keeping an eye my credit reports, while also enjoying the many free monitoring offers I was able to put to good  use as the result of becoming a member of a number of class action lawsuits (you gotta love lawyers' quests for big bux).

Anyway, back in February, 2022, one of the free offers I was enjoying at the time let me know that a T-Mobile breach had resulted in my social security number being found on the dark web. Mind you, I had dropped that T-Mobile account two decades back. 

Up until recently, I did keep a somewhat careful watch on my locked-down credit reports, each of which I could easily unlock if I wanted to chase more credit. Since I've got great credit and a lot of it though, I gave up chasing those white rabbits for lent 😉

Lastly, in closing, there's also that shelf-expiration date that we're both aware of that's been slowly but surely creeping up on me that tells me thinking, uh, stressing about privacy in this modern age really is kind of pointless, as you suggested. For there might be more important things to think about now, e.g., like having hot fun in the summertime.

...or not  🙂

Spoiler

P.S. My new renewed Leap has shipped. Looking forward to it 😊

leapv2.thumb.jpg.85a1efadf0ad94b23fe753f51c846b08.jpg

Edited by iamjanco
  • Respect 1

13 minutes ago, iamjanco said:

Mostly true bud, but not necessarily pointless (at least in my case).  Let me explain.

Over the three decades I've been online my personal data has been found on the 'dark web' multiple times. I dealt with each reported instance by keeping an eye my credit reports, while also enjoying the many free monitoring offers I was able to put to good  use as the result of becoming a member of a number of class action lawsuits (you gotta love lawyers' quests for big bux).

Anyway, back in February, 2022, one of the free offers I was enjoying at the time let me know that a T-Mobile breach had resulted in my social security number being found on the dark web. Mind you, I had dropped that T-Mobile account two decades back. 

Up until recently, I did keep a somewhat careful watch on my locked-down credit reports, each of which I could easily unlock if I wanted to chase more credit. Since I've got great credit and a lot of it though, I gave up chasing those white rabbits for lent 😉

Lastly, in closing, there's also that shelf-expiration date that we're both aware of that's been slowly but surely creeping up on me that tells me thinking, uh, stressing about privacy in this modern age really is kind of pointless, as you suggested. For there might be more important things to think about now, e.g., like having hot fun in the summertime.

...or not  🙂

I hear you. The below is something I received just a few days ago and the breach was massive in terms of what was released by "Accident". It's just luck of the draw I suppose, but I've given up trying to ease the possibility. I was involved in the T-Mobile leak as well. 

image.thumb.jpeg.932c16576c1b3d78188f3d2bc8035dfc.jpeg

• Thanks 2

766 1,669
23 minutes ago, Avacado said:

I hear you. The below is something I received just a few days ago and the breach was massive in terms of what was released by "Accident". It's just luck of the draw I suppose, but I've given up trying to ease the possibility. I was involved in the T-Mobile leak as well. 

Yup, there's not much you can do about it beyond moving to (e.g.) Montana and going completely off grid, and using UPS drop boxes anonymously for all your outgoing correspondence 

tedk.jpg.02c41e6e44c27e8466c1fc469e9f1e9b.jpg

🤪

1 hour ago, iamjanco said:

...or not  🙂

Reveal hidden contents

P.S. My new renewed Leap has shipped. Looking forward to it 😊

leapv2.thumb.jpg.85a1efadf0ad94b23fe753f51c846b08.jpg

46 minutes ago, Avacado said:

I think the best one I ever ran across was my bank card being declined 1 day but my wifes working. I tried 2 different places and even putting the # in manually and it was declined. I called my bank and they told me they had canceled my card as a courtesy because it had been exposed in a Burger King data breach. While I appreciated the concern,I would have liked it MORE if they'd told me BEFORE canceling the card,especially since I was planning to go out of town in a couple of days to be at the hospital while my wife had surgery. Would have been real nice to find out it was canceled after I was at the hospital with no way to get a new card or my ck book!(I don't drive)

• Thanks 2

766 1,669

A Burger King data breach, who'd a thunk?

I should've mentioned earlier that ALL my personal info has been compromised, except any current pix of me (outside of maybe discord). That includes everything from my date of birth, through all my addresses the past three decades. The only thing it doesn't include yet is my date of death, which is yet to occur, of course.

It's a sound bet releasing that info won't really bother me once that time comes.

2023-07-13_14-58-58.jpg.a28a6ef59a659f2545ff93818cf4027e.jpg

Edited by iamjanco
  • Thanks 2