Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, register to take part in our community, don't worry this is a simple FREE process that requires minimal information for you to signup.

Registered users can: 

• Start new topics and reply to others.
  • Show off your PC using our Rig Creator feature.
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get updates.
  • Get your own profile page to customize.
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.
  • Upgrade to Premium to unlock additional sites features.
IGNORED

HP class-action lawsuit for bricking all-in-one printers when ink is low

A federal judge has ruled that HP will have to face a class-action lawsuit accusing them of intentionally disabling scanning and faxing features on its all-in-one printers when the ink runs low. If substantiated, this would be just another tactic the company has used to push costly ink cartridges onto its customers.

Companies like HP and Canon market inkjet printers using the razor-and-blade model. They offer the printers at relatively low prices while making significant profits from the sales of expensive ink cartridges. Consumer Reports suggests that these cartridges can cost users as much as $70 annually. Those attempting to economize by purchasing more affordable third-party cartridges or by refilling their used ones often encounter various restrictive measures, and these practices have landed HP in trouble with regulators worldwide.

WWW.TECHSPOT.COM

A federal judge has ruled that HP will have to face a class-action lawsuit accusing them of intentionally disabling scanning and faxing features on its all-in-one printers...

I started telling customers to avoid HP printers when they started requiring the HP Smart app for lower end models. 

Edited by UltraMega
  • Thanks 3

Owned

CPU: 5800x
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS TUF Gaming B550-Plus
RAM: XMP 3600mhz CL16
GPU: 7900XT
SOUNDCARD: Sound Blaster Z 5.1 home theater
MONITOR: 4K 65 inch TV
Full Rig Info

My second and third printers were the HP DeskJet 560C and 895Cxi. Even then, ink seemed kind of pricey, but that was before the days of ink DRM. I honestly don't remember what led me to get rid of the 895Cxi (probably high ink prices), but I do remember buying OEM HP ink cartridges that had banding and spotty output if they were "expired". After getting 3-4 of them in a row, I took a hammer to the last one of those out of spite and somehow, I still have a photo of it from 2005 saved on my hard drive.

P6050346.thumb.JPG.a2cf052ab5d2e3d67fee2bd421125788.JPG

I was done with HP after that and done with inkjet printers altogether one printer later (a Canon that pissed away excessive ink every startup and eventually threw me a ridiculous printhead error where a replacement would have, in car insurance terms, totaled the printer).

Inkjets suck in general. As for HP, it's not the 1990s anymore which was when they last made a good printer, laser or inkjet. I don't think anything they've made (or rebadged) in the last 20 years was worth owning compared to their competition because of their blatantly anti-consumer tactics. I'm not remotely surprised they would pull this crap with an all-in-one printer when not using a printing function. It's been in their DNA for decades. I'm pretty sure they pioneered ink DRM.

Side note: I remember years ago a former coworker was an HP superfan (yeah, they exist) and an even bigger Samsung superfan. He bought an HP for his first SSD, and all I could think was, "You bought an HP SSD instead of a Samsung? WTH is wrong with you?"

Edited by Snakecharmed
  • Thanks 1

Owned

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7900X
MOTHERBOARD: Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming WiFi
RAM: 64 GB (2x32 GB) G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 CL30
GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming
SSD/NVME: 1 TB WD_BLACK SN850X PCIe 4.0 NVMe
SSD/NVME 2: 2 TB WD_BLACK SN770 PCIe 4.0 NVMe
MONITOR: 38" LG UltraGear 38GN950-B 3840x1600 144 Hz
MONITOR 2: 55" Samsung Neo QLED QN85A 4K 120 Hz 4:4:4
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
MOTHERBOARD: ASRock X300M-STM
RAM: 16 GB (2x8 GB) ADATA DDR4-3200 CL22
SSD/NVME: 500 GB Gigabyte Gen3 2500E PCIe 3.0 NVMe
SSD/NVME 2: 3.84 TB Samsung PM863a Enterprise SATA 6 Gbps
CASE: ASRock DeskMini X300W
CPU COOLER: Thermalright AXP90-X36
CPU COOLER 2: [Fan] Noctua NF-A9x14 92mm PWM 2.52 W
Full Rig Info

I generally avoid buying anything from HP or Dell other than their business-class notebooks (Precision and Elitebook turdbooks) and I avoid throwing money away on disposable laptop garbage in general to the greatest extent possible. I recommend desktops over laptops to anyone that asks, and I agree with the advice to avoid HP inkjet printers. I stopped buying HP inkjets around 2005 as well. Glad to see they might be getting what they deserve for selling rubbish. Their consumer desktops are also garbage, unfortunately. They did not used to be. Once upon a time they were a fairly decent brand.

I switched to Epson Workforce printers (my last one held up for more ten years) and I replaced that one with an ET-3850 EcoTank. EcoTank seems like the way to go. No complaints so far. It does a nice job and holds a ton if inexpensive ink.

Edited by Mr. Fox

Owned

CPU: Intel Core i9-14900KF - Bare Die
MOTHERBOARD: ASUSTeK ROG Maximum Z790 Apex
RAM: G.SKILL Trident Z5 48GB DDR5 @ 8600 - On Water
GPU: MSI RTX 4090 Suprim-X + Byski Block
PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower GF3 1650W
SSD/NVME: NVMe x9 (11TB), SATA SSD x1 (1TB), HDD x1 (4TB)
CPU COOLER: MO-RA 360, D5 x4, 5 Gal Reservoir, Hailea HC-500A
CASE: Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL EVO
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: Intel Core i9-13900KS - Bare Die
MOTHERBOARD: ASUSTeK ROG Maximum Z790 Apex Encore
RAM: G.SKILL Trident Z5 48GB DDR5 @ 8600 - On Water
GPU: Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC + Alphacool Block
PSU: Corsair RM1200x Shift
SSD/NVME: NVMe x8 (11.5TB), SATA SSD x2 (3TB), HDD x1 (2TB)
CPU COOLER: Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 1080 Nova, D5 x2
CASE: be quiet! Dark Base Pro 901
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: Intel Core i9-14900K - Delidded
MOTHERBOARD: MSI MPG Z790i Edge WiFi (ITX)
RAM: G.SKILL Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 @ 8000
GPU: ASROCK Arc A770 Phantom Gaming OC
PSU: GameMax 850W Gold ARGB
SSD/NVME: NVMe x3 (4TB), SATA SSD x4 (4TB)
CPU COOLER: EK Nucleus CR360 Dark AIO
CASE: ASUS Prime AP201 Micro Tower TG
Full Rig Info

It is a real &*^%$ up situation to put consumers in and I think this is what HP deserves and they 100% should lose the case.

• Thanks 1

£3000

Owned

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D
MOTHERBOARD: MSI Meg Ace X670E
RAM: Corsair Dominator Titanium 64GB (6000MT/s)
GPU: EVGA 3090 FTW Ultra Gaming
SSD/NVME: Corsair MP700 Pro Gen 5 2TB
PSU: EVGA Supernova T2 1600Watt
CASE: be quiet Dark Base Pro 900 Rev 2
FANS: Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC x 6
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: Intel Core i5 8500
RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) Kingston 2666Mhz
SSD/NVME: 256GB Samsung NVMe
NETWORK: HP 561T 10Gbe (Intel X540 T2)
MOTHERBOARD: Proprietry
GPU: Intel UHD Graphics 630
PSU: 90Watt
CASE: HP EliteDesk 800 G4 SFF
Full Rig Info

£3000

Owned

CPU: 2 x Xeon|E5-2696-V4 (44C/88T)
RAM: 128GB|16 x 8GB - DDR4 2400MHz (2Rx8)
MOTHERBOARD: HP Z840|Intel C612 Chipset
GPU: Nvidia Quadro P2200
HDD: 4x 16TB Toshiba MG08ACA16TE Enterprise
SSD/NVME: Intel 512GB 670p NVMe (Main OS)
SSD/NVME 2: Samsung 1TB 980 NVMe (VM's)
SSD/NVME 3: 2x Seagate FireCuda 1TB SSD's (Apps)
Full Rig Info

I've heard good things about Epson EcoTank printers if you need the fine detail and rich color photo quality that an inkjet can deliver. For anything else, laser or LED is the way to go.

I print things so rarely these days that it makes no sense for me to bother with inkjets anymore. I most frequently print shipping labels, and even that only happens perhaps once a month on average. If I have photos to print on paper, sending them to my local Walgreens is more economical and I don't need to be the one fine-tuning printer settings and wasting ink and paper with test prints.

HP is trying to prop up a dying sector of the computer peripherals market. We simply don't print stuff like we used to and they need to adapt rather than antagonize those who still need all-in-one printers for daily use. Those consumers will have other options if you try to screw them. The bean counters at HP haven't learned a thing from every other DRM scheme that has failed miserably, and they don't even have the market position to strongarm their customers into their walled garden.

If you don't want to get dunked on by your device sales, stop offering the hardware at $100. There is too much going on inside of that box for it to be worth so little, no matter how far economies of scale and advancement of technology have taken us in the last two decades. My old DeskJet 560C cost, what, probably $500-600 in 1995? A LaserJet 4 retailed for around $2000 back in its day.

"Think of the original price tag of a printer more like a down payment," Sulin says. "You're still expected to make periodic payments over the course of ownership."

According to IHS Markit, a global information provider, the cost to build a printer is higher than the retail price of most—if not all—consumer printers.

Consider the CR Recommended $70 HP Envy 4520 all-in-one printer. IHS estimates the manufacturing cost of the printer to be about $120.

HP declined to comment on the cost calculation.

IHS says it created the estimate by disassembling the printer and tallying the price of every component, including the monochrome display, enclosure, the included cartridge, the scanning window glass, image sensor, and so on.

The $120 figure doesn't include research and development and post-manufacturing costs, such as shipping.

Edited by Snakecharmed
  • Respect 1

Owned

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7900X
MOTHERBOARD: Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming WiFi
RAM: 64 GB (2x32 GB) G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 CL30
GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming
SSD/NVME: 1 TB WD_BLACK SN850X PCIe 4.0 NVMe
SSD/NVME 2: 2 TB WD_BLACK SN770 PCIe 4.0 NVMe
MONITOR: 38" LG UltraGear 38GN950-B 3840x1600 144 Hz
MONITOR 2: 55" Samsung Neo QLED QN85A 4K 120 Hz 4:4:4
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
MOTHERBOARD: ASRock X300M-STM
RAM: 16 GB (2x8 GB) ADATA DDR4-3200 CL22
SSD/NVME: 500 GB Gigabyte Gen3 2500E PCIe 3.0 NVMe
SSD/NVME 2: 3.84 TB Samsung PM863a Enterprise SATA 6 Gbps
CASE: ASRock DeskMini X300W
CPU COOLER: Thermalright AXP90-X36
CPU COOLER 2: [Fan] Noctua NF-A9x14 92mm PWM 2.52 W
Full Rig Info

23 hours ago, Snakecharmed said:

I've heard good things about Epson EcoTank printers if you need the fine detail and rich color photo quality that an inkjet can deliver. For anything else, laser or LED is the way to go.

I print things so rarely these days that it makes no sense for me to bother with inkjets anymore. I most frequently print shipping labels, and even that only happens perhaps once a month on average. If I have photos to print on paper, sending them to my local Walgreens is more economical and I don't need to be the one fine-tuning printer settings and wasting ink and paper with test prints.

HP is trying to prop up a dying sector of the computer peripherals market. We simply don't print stuff like we used to and they need to adapt rather than antagonize those who still need all-in-one printers for daily use. Those consumers will have other options if you try to screw them. The bean counters at HP haven't learned a thing from every other DRM scheme that has failed miserably, and they don't even have the market position to strongarm their customers into their walled garden.

If you don't want to get dunked on by your device sales, stop offering the hardware at $100. There is too much going on inside of that box for it to be worth so little, no matter how far economies of scale and advancement of technology have taken us in the last two decades. My old DeskJet 560C cost, what, probably $500-600 in 1995? A LaserJet 4 retailed for around $2000 back in its day.

I agree, I despise inkjet, they are just so un-economic to run and maintain. If you are a seldom printer like I am inkjets dry up in 5 mins and clog and then they are never the same again frankly. So even though I am a seldom printer, a year back I splashed cash on a Laser printer and could not be happier. Quality is excellent and I can use it sporadically without worrying that it may just decide not to print because it has dried up lol

£3000

Owned

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D
MOTHERBOARD: MSI Meg Ace X670E
RAM: Corsair Dominator Titanium 64GB (6000MT/s)
GPU: EVGA 3090 FTW Ultra Gaming
SSD/NVME: Corsair MP700 Pro Gen 5 2TB
PSU: EVGA Supernova T2 1600Watt
CASE: be quiet Dark Base Pro 900 Rev 2
FANS: Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC x 6
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: Intel Core i5 8500
RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) Kingston 2666Mhz
SSD/NVME: 256GB Samsung NVMe
NETWORK: HP 561T 10Gbe (Intel X540 T2)
MOTHERBOARD: Proprietry
GPU: Intel UHD Graphics 630
PSU: 90Watt
CASE: HP EliteDesk 800 G4 SFF
Full Rig Info

£3000

Owned

CPU: 2 x Xeon|E5-2696-V4 (44C/88T)
RAM: 128GB|16 x 8GB - DDR4 2400MHz (2Rx8)
MOTHERBOARD: HP Z840|Intel C612 Chipset
GPU: Nvidia Quadro P2200
HDD: 4x 16TB Toshiba MG08ACA16TE Enterprise
SSD/NVME: Intel 512GB 670p NVMe (Main OS)
SSD/NVME 2: Samsung 1TB 980 NVMe (VM's)
SSD/NVME 3: 2x Seagate FireCuda 1TB SSD's (Apps)
Full Rig Info