Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, register to take part in our community, don't worry this is a simple FREE process that requires minimal information for you to signup.

Registered users can: 

• Start new topics and reply to others.
  • Show off your PC using our Rig Creator feature.
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get updates.
  • Get your own profile page to customize.
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.
  • Upgrade to Premium to unlock additional sites features.
IGNORED

Fan Control Problem. - 100% set, <60% reported.

LabRat
2 Attachments
Go to solution Solved by pio,

Radeon Instinct MI25, flashed to WX 9100, using VegaFE(air) PowerPlayTables. The card is powering and controlling the 4-pin 120x38mm (ducted) server axial-blower.

Note: The Axial Bloweymatron is of lesser power draw than the stock Vega56/64 blower

Windows 10x64 Professional (22H2)
GPU-z 2.55.0 / OpenHardwareMonitor 0.9.6

I have had this issue across both AMD-official and Amernime Zone drivers (multiple versions)

1694994682824.png

I'm not even sure if the fan isn't *actually* at 100%. (It's kinda hard to tell by noise.)

I would greatly appreciate any

input, suggestions, or solutions.

For those that are aware of my 'adventures' with this card, I just re-pasted it, and modified the heatsink.

Great improvement! Now, I just wanna make sure that I'm getting the most cooling 'ability' possible.

Thanks!

• Thanks 1
  • Respect 1

Tried removing the Acoustic limit? Set to 0MHz and see.  Though it already looks like the fan speed is maxing per your sensors tab. I can't tell if power target relates to fan or the card. Maybe try 100% to see if there is a difference.

*Edit, I think max fan speed should be somewhere over 4000RPM, so you might be right.

This might help, roughly goes over the settings:

MININGSOFT.ORG

Overdrive NTool: Download from the official site, change timings using the example of AMD 580 and Vega. In this tutorial, you will learn how to set up and use OverdriveNTool v0.2.9 and newer.

Edited by Avacado
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Avacado said:

Tried removing the Acoustic limit? Set to 0MHz and see.  Though it already looks like the fan speed is maxing per your sensors tab. I can't tell if power target relates to fan or the card. Maybe try 100% to see if there is a difference.

*Edit, I think max fan speed should be somewhere over 4000RPM, so you might be right.

This might help, roughly goes over the settings:

MININGSOFT.ORG

Overdrive NTool: Download from the official site, change timings using the example of AMD 580 and Vega. In this tutorial, you will learn how to set up and use OverdriveNTool v0.2.9 and newer.

Good ideas, TY for linky. 

Edit: Tried the acoustic limit to 0. Same behavior. 
image.thumb.png.a89ce7f389df41b9b31a4a8775ba0a85.png

Edit 2: Tried moar powah (for funsies) and actually under a load, instead of manually setting 100 for all fanstates.

image.thumb.png.f1c4d0efd7159f5b1a2a60b20a551fa3.png

Kudos for getting me to try that. Not 'the solution' but using the VegaFE PPT, I can actually get more than +50% power now.

Also related, is the fact I'm using a 120mm x 38mm axial blower, instead of a 'real' Vega's centrifugal fan assembly.

The fan speed percentage is based off the stock blower fan so it doesn't report that properly if you're using a different fan, just pay attention to RPM. It also changes based on what bios or PPTable you use.
On mine with a GTX 480 fan 100% reports as ~80% IIRC with WX 9100 PPTable.

Underlined offers an explanation as to why I previously saw it max @ 50% but,

this latest PPT I'm using off an unlisted/unverified VegaFE (air) card goes to 58%.

Edited by LabRat
  • Respect 2

• Solution

I mean I did tell you hours ago on Steam, the RPM reading is accurate still.  But hey, glad you got it sorted.  :thumbs_thumbup:  😛  

• Thanks 1

Owned

CPU: Ryzen 7900x
GPU: Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX
PSU: Cooler Master 850w Platinum
CPU COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid PL360 Flux
MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte B650 Aorus AX
SSD/NVME: Solidigm P41 Plus 2TB Gen4 NVME
RAM: G.Skill Flare X DDR5-6000
CASE: HAF700 Berserker
Full Rig Info

Too much

Owned

CPU: AMD Opteron 180 @ 3.0GHz
MOTHERBOARD: Asus A8N SLI
RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS DDR400 @ 2.5-3-3-6
PSU: eVGA 600BQ
GPU: Sapphire HD5870
SOUNDCARD: Asus Xonar DG
OPTICAL: DVDRW with Lightscribe
SSD/NVME: 64GB HP 2.5" SSD
Full Rig Info

Too much

Owned

CPU: AMD Athlon 1100MHz
MOTHERBOARD: ECS K7S5A
RAM: 2x256MB Corsair XMS DDR400 @ 133MHz / CAS2
PSU: Antec 350w
GPU: ATI Radeon 9800 PRO
SOUNDCARD: Creative Live! 5.1
OPTICAL: LG 16x DVD-ROM
OPTICAL 2: IOMagic 48x16x48 CDRW
Full Rig Info

1 minute ago, pioneerisloud said:

I mean I did tell you hours ago on Steam, the RPM reading is accurate still.  But hey, glad you got it sorted.    😛  

Well, when you have no clue what the 'rated' RPM of my kit-bashed Dell workstation fan is...

(and no pics of the hub, for datasheet lookup)

Edited by LabRat

1 minute ago, LabRat said:

Well, when you have no clue what the 'rated' RPM of my kit-bashed Dell workstation fan is...

(and no pics of the hub, for datasheet lookup)

Most common RPM for a 120x38mm "bloweymatron" fan would be 3000 RPM though.  So just going by averages, seems accurate enough to say 3000 RPM is "probably" your highest RPM the fan can do.  It's at near 3000 RPM in your screenshots at 100% set (60% reading).  I know the % reading in GPUz is based off PWM signal, which isn't present if the stock fan is gone.  Sooooooooo yeah.  😛 

• Thanks 1

Owned

Full Rig Info

Too much

Owned

Full Rig Info

Too much

Owned

Full Rig Info

2 minutes ago, pioneerisloud said:

Most common RPM for a 120x38mm "bloweymatron" fan would be 3000 RPM though.  So just going by averages, seems accurate enough to say 3000 RPM is "probably" your highest RPM the fan can do.  It's at near 3000 RPM in your screenshots at 100% set (60% reading).  I know the % reading in GPUz is based off PWM signal, which isn't present if the stock fan is gone.  Sooooooooo yeah.  😛 

Being PWM, I was worrying about the "Fan Speed %" being derived from "PWM Duty Cycle"
rather than a comparator to a 'fixed, expectant value' in vBIOS/PPT.

One of those times where 'other experience' can mis-lead one away from the answer

Like part numbers on Brake Calipers, they're *not* unique for each side....

Now I we know. 

6 minutes ago, LabRat said:

Being PWM, I was worrying about the "Fan Speed %" being derived from "PWM Duty Cycle"
rather than a comparator to a 'fixed, expectant value' in vBIOS/PPT.

One of those times where 'other experience' can mis-lead one away from the answer

Like part numbers on Brake Calipers, they're *not* unique for each side....

Now I we know. 

Fan speed % = exactly that though.  The percentage the fans are spinning at, COMPARED TO (you were forgetting that part) maximum RPM.  What is maximum RPM for the fan you're using?  Does your card's VBIOS know?  The RPM's are accurate.  % is not.  🙂  Even on stock cards, I've seen this same behavior sometimes with aftermarket AIB coolers.  Completely bone stock cards, but "max out" around 60% fan speed........but yet insanely high RPM's.  Yeah.  Ignore fan speed % unless its actually a stock and accurate fan installed.

Edited by pioneerisloud
  • Thanks 1

Owned

Full Rig Info

Too much

Owned

Full Rig Info

Too much

Owned

Full Rig Info

19 minutes ago, pioneerisloud said:

Fan speed % = exactly that though.  The percentage the fans are spinning at, COMPARED TO (you're forgetting that part) maximum RPM.  What is maximum RPM for the fan you're using?  Does your card's VBIOS know?  The RPM's are accurate.  % is not.  🙂  Even on stock cards, I've seen this same behavior sometimes with aftermarket AIB coolers.  Completely bone stock cards, but "max out" around 60% fan speed........but yet insanely high RPM's.  Yeah.  Ignore fan speed % unless its actually a stock and accurate fan installed.

Your simplification-explanation, belies and describes the precise reason I'd mis-lead myself:

Duty Cycle % would also fit that definition.

Any magnetic or resistive load cannot exceed 100% Duty Cycle. -Regardless of its rated rotational speed, torque, or thermal dissipation.

Honestly, I just didn't think 'it was that "dumb" '.

Makes a lot more sense to me to be a duty cycle (to me) but,
I can see the utility in it being simply compared to the known-equipment's RPM rating.

Ex: if your card is 'stock' and the fan % is low, that'd be a sign the bearings are failing, there's air-restriction, or dust has built up on the fan (slowing it).

Edit:

I know the % reading in GPUz is based off PWM signal, which isn't present if the stock fan is gone. 

Incorrect. Replacement is also a 4-pin PWM fan, pin-for-pin adapted to the GPU's fan header.
Also (AFAIK), RPM is off a 'pulse signal' from a hall-effect sensor/equivalent* in the fan.

(*IIRC, 'back EMF' can be used as a sorta in-situ hall-effect sensor.)

Edited by LabRat
  • Respect 1

• 5 months later...
On 17/09/2023 at 19:07, LabRat said:

Radeon Instinct MI25, flashed to WX 9100, using VegaFE(air) PowerPlayTables. The card is powering and controlling the 4-pin 120x38mm (ducted) server axial-blower.

Note: The Axial Bloweymatron is of lesser power draw than the stock Vega56/64 blower

Windows 10x64 Professional (22H2)
GPU-z 2.55.0 / OpenHardwareMonitor 0.9.6

I have had this issue across both AMD-official and Amernime Zone drivers (multiple versions)

1694994682824.png

I'm not even sure if the fan isn't *actually* at 100%. (It's kinda hard to tell by noise.)

I would greatly appreciate any

input, suggestions, or solutions.

For those that are aware of my 'adventures' with this card, I just re-pasted it, and modified the heatsink.

Great improvement! Now, I just wanna make sure that I'm getting the most cooling 'ability' possible.

Thanks!

Sweet dude, can you link me to this OverdriveNTool 0.2.9?  I have a Powercolor Red Dragon Vega 56 and just resurrected from the dead & now I'm looking to dial er' in.

Premium Bronze
145 184
Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, HeyItsChris said:

Sweet dude, can you link me to this OverdriveNTool 0.2.9?  I have a Powercolor Red Dragon Vega 56 and just resurrected from the dead & now I'm looking to dial er' in.

SOURCEFORGE.NET

Download OverdriveNTool 0.2.9 for free. Latest Version 0.2.9. This application is for editing some parameters in the AMD OverdriveN API supported GPUs (currently 290, 290x, 380, 380x, 390, 390x, Fury...

This application is for editing some parameters in the AMD OverdriveN API supported GPUs (currently 290, 290x, 380, 380x, 390, 390x, Fury, Fury X, Nano, 4xx, 5xx series, Vega 56, Vega 64) and Overdrive8 API supported GPUs (currently Radeon VII, RX 5000 series)

Edited by LabRat
  • Thanks 1