Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, register to take part in our community, don't worry this is a simple FREE process that requires minimal information for you to signup.

Registered users can: 

• Start new topics and reply to others.
  • Show off your PC using our Rig Creator feature.
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get updates.
  • Get your own profile page to customize.
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.
  • Upgrade to Premium to unlock additional sites features.
IGNORED

AMD's FSR3 launches today

AMD's announcement indicates that the first FSR 3 game updates will be deployed on Friday for Aveum and Forspoken MMORTALS. These two titles, Forspoken and Immortals of Aveum, will be the initial adopters of FidelityFX Super Resolution's (FSR 3) latest iteration.

This iteration introduces frame generation technology aimed at enhancing frame rates. AMD had previously disclosed that these two games would lead the charge in obtaining the FSR 3 update during the autumn season. The roadmap also includes plans for Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora, Cyberpunk 2077, Frostpunk 2, Squad, and Black Myth Wukong to incorporate FSR 3 in subsequent updates.

WWW.GURU3D.COM

AMD's announcement indicates that the first FSR 3 game updates will be deployed on Friday for Aveum and...

Interesting choice to do a surprise launch like this. Excited to see how effective it is! 

Edit: I tried it in Forspoken (free demo on Steam). It definitely works. I did it on my 60hz screen with vsync unlocked, so not an ideal, but otherwise it worked exactly as expected. Basically doubled the FPS. Felt about the same as any other game would with vsync off. I did notice some small visual artifacts, but they looked similar to what I've seen in videos of DLSS 3 artifacts. All and all, well worth the trade off between FPS and visual quality. 

Edited by UltraMega

Owned

CPU: 5800x
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS TUF Gaming B550-Plus
RAM: XMP 3600mhz CL16
GPU: 7900XT
SOUNDCARD: Sound Blaster Z 5.1 home theater
MONITOR: 4K 65 inch TV
Full Rig Info

Wow - I am a bit surprised it was just released. 

Videocardz is reporting more games have FSR3 or Fluid Motion Frames available today (is there a difference?).

AMD-FLUID-MOTION-FRAMES-GAMES-LAUNCH-1200x644.jpg

https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-fluid-motion-frames-now-available-in-12-games-with-adrenalin-preview-driver-only-for-radeon-rx-7000-series

Edit: I just learned that...

FSR3 = Developer input of Frame Generation;

Fluid Motion Frames = Driver level (AMD) input of Frame Generation. 

FSR3 likely a better implementation of Frame Generation but TBD. 

Edited by Slaughtahouse
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Slaughtahouse said:

Videocardz is reporting more games have FSR3 or Fluid Motion Frames available today (is there a difference?).

https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-fluid-motion-frames-now-available-in-12-games-with-adrenalin-preview-driver-only-for-radeon-rx-7000-series

I'm sure what the difference is, there must be some advantage to doing it at the game level vs the driver level, but no idea of the technical aspects. I'd imagine it just has less artifacts when optimized for the game speficially. 

The fact that AMD is making this avaliable at the driver level is huge. A rare win for AMD over Nvidia. 

It's possible to try the AFMF right now via AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition Preview Driver for AMD Fluid Motion Frames Release Notes | AMD 

Edited by UltraMega
  • Respect 1

Owned

Full Rig Info

Seems like Steam still reports base framerate while Adrenalin reports Framegen rate separately. I can’t screenshot it so heres is a photo. 

88 Fps = 176 frame gen. Frame gen adding 19ms of lag in Starfield. Total lag at 26ms approx. Not great. 

I tried RE4 quickly and total system lag was 16ms. 

IMG_0310.thumb.jpeg.3a615c9f7ce11778f6df2c8ffa927cf7.jpeg

Not conclusive testing by any wide margin but I was impressed that the framerate essentially doubled. Didn't have enough time to actually play the game in any meaningful way but looks promising. Just a bit skeptical of the lag, if accurate. 

Edited by Slaughtahouse
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Slaughtahouse said:

What GPUs are compatible with AMD Fluid Motion Frames?
AMD says Fluid Motion Frames is compatible with most modern AMD and Nvidia GPUs. There's no word on Intel GPUs, but in principle Intel's Arc graphics should be able to run Fluid Motion Frames. In practice, it may be more complicated and depend on factors like latency reduction. For the record, these are the GPUs AMD has thus far listed.

AMD:
Radeon RX 5700 onwards supported
Radeon RX 6000-series onwards recommended

Nvidia:
GeForce RTX 20-series onwards supported
GeForce RTX 30-series onwards recommended

so FMF:

a) driver level

b) doesn't require developer integration

c) works on NVIDIA + AMD

::

"works on NVIDIA" really means "works on NVIDIA when they add it to their driver" 

which I assume means they won't to avoid cannibalizing sales of the 4000 series, xd 

Owned

CPU: Intel i9 10900K @ 51/47 1.26v
MOTHERBOARD: Asus Z590 Maximus XIII Hero
RAM: G.Skill DDR4-4266 CL17 32GB @ 4300 15-16-16-35 2T 1.55v
GPU: Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3080 Ti
SSD/NVME: Team Group MP34 4TB NVMe + WD Blue 4TB SATA SSD
CPU COOLER: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 + Noctua iPPC 3000
PSU: Super Flower Leadex Titanium 1000W
CASE: Fractal Design Meshify S2
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: Intel i7 8700K @ 47/43 1.22v
MOTHERBOARD: Asrock Z390 Taichi
RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4-3000 CL16 64GB @ 3200 16-20-20-38 1T 1.35v
SSD/NVME: SN850 1TB + HP EX950 2TB + SX8200 2TB NVMe
HDD: 4x Seagate Exos X16 14TB
OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows Server 2022 Datacenter
OTHER: LSI Logic 9207-8i
NETWORK: Intel X540 10 GbE
Full Rig Info

$600

Owned

CPU: Ryzen 7 5825U
MOTHERBOARD: SFX14-42G-R607
RAM: 16GB LPDDR4-4266
SSD/NVME: SK Hynix P31 Gold 2TB M.2 NVME
SSD/NVME 2: Samsung PM991a 512GB M.2 NVME
GPU: NVIDIA RTX 3050 Ti 4GB 35W @ 55W
OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2021
OPERATING SYSTEM 2: Debian 12.5 KDE
Full Rig Info

I tried it in CP2077 and it does work. It seems like if the FPS is too low or the screen moves around too quickly it basically stops working. Not a surprise since frame gen isn't really for low FPS scenarios. Using path tracing and FSR ultra performance mode + AFMF, FPS can get up to 60 but there is so much post rendering stuff going on that it looks like an acid trip. 

Owned

Full Rig Info

16 hours ago, UltraMega said:

I tried it in CP2077 and it does work. It seems like if the FPS is too low or the screen moves around too quickly it basically stops working. Not a surprise since frame gen isn't really for low FPS scenarios. Using path tracing and FSR ultra performance mode + AFMF, FPS can get up to 60 but there is so much post rendering stuff going on that it looks like an acid trip. 

I tried CP2077 last night and can report the same. 

PT + FG +  7900 XTX @ 4K (C9 OLED) = smeared butter on the screen and terrible lag.

I also tried it with my custom settings which net 40-60fps.  It’s… not that good. Less ghosting but still noticeable trails and the lag is really annoying. It’s maybe better than those old LCD tvs that had frame interpolation because the experience does improve if you base framerate is high enough but honestly not by much. 

I played Starfield with it for about 2mns in that “sweet spot” (60-90 fps) and was arguably worse than CP2077. A lot of lag and just weird pacing. Felt like motion blur that stutters. Very weird. I disabled it immediately after.

The only game that I noticed it running well was Resident Evil 4 but then again, I can run that at 4K / 120 maxed out so any framegen is well above my refresh.

Maybe FSR3 implementation in the direct, game rendering pipeline will eliminate some of the ghosting and lag but for now, I would not recommend “fluid motion frames”. This is coming from again, a 7900 XTX owner. I would be very skeptical how it performs on the 7800 XT or lower tiered cards.

4 hours ago, Slaughtahouse said:

I tried CP2077 last night and can report the same. 

PT + FG +  7900 XTX @ 4K (C9 OLED) = smeared butter on the screen and terrible lag.

I also tried it with my custom settings which net 40-60fps.  It’s… not that good. Less ghosting but still noticeable trails and the lag is really annoying. It’s maybe better than those old LCD tvs that had frame interpolation because the experience does improve if you base framerate is high enough but honestly not by much. 

I played Starfield with it for about 2mns in that “sweet spot” (60-90 fps) and was arguably worse than CP2077. A lot of lag and just weird pacing. Felt like motion blur that stutters. Very weird. I disabled it immediately after.

The only game that I noticed it running well was Resident Evil 4 but then again, I can run that at 4K / 120 maxed out so any framegen is well above my refresh.

Maybe FSR3 implementation in the direct, game rendering pipeline will eliminate some of the ghosting and lag but for now, I would not recommend “fluid motion frames”. This is coming from again, a 7900 XTX owner. I would be very skeptical how it performs on the 7800 XT or lower tiered cards.

Did you try Forspoken? It has a free demo on steam, and the demo was also updated to support FSR3. Works way different and better Than AFMF. 

I dusted off my 1440p 144hz monitor and tried AFMF is starfield as well, and there it was actually OK. I probably wouldn't use it normally, but it was decent. 

If you wanna see how this is really supposed to look tho, gotta download the Forspoken demo. 

Owned

Full Rig Info

On 30/09/2023 at 12:55, UltraMega said:

Did you try Forspoken? It has a free demo on steam, and the demo was also updated to support FSR3. Works way different and better Than AFMF. 

I dusted off my 1440p 144hz monitor and tried AFMF is starfield as well, and there it was actually OK. I probably wouldn't use it normally, but it was decent. 

If you wanna see how this is really supposed to look tho, gotta download the Forspoken demo. 

I have not but I didn’t know there was a demo.

Also, I’m a bit confused but the driver release notes mentioned games supporting the driver level fluid frames tech yet you had mentioned CP2077 also supports it, yet it wasn’t on that list.

I also had it running too with CP2077… so my question is, how many games support fluid motion frames right now with that preview driver? All DX12?

3 hours ago, Slaughtahouse said:

I have not but I didn’t know there was a demo.

Also, I’m a bit confused but the driver release notes mentioned games supporting the driver level fluid frames tech yet you had mentioned CP2077 also supports it, yet it wasn’t on that list.

I also had it running too with CP2077… so my question is, how many games support fluid motion frames right now with that preview driver? All DX12?

CP2077 doesn't support it, but that doesn't mean you can't try it anyway. It will still work as in the effect is enabled, but that doesn't mean it works well. 

AFMF is a neat but sort of impractical trick. FSR3 is very different, and vastly better. 

Owned

Full Rig Info

8 hours ago, UltraMega said:

CP2077 doesn't support it, but that doesn't mean you can't try it anyway. It will still work as in the effect is enabled, but that doesn't mean it works well. 

AFMF is a neat but sort of impractical trick. FSR3 is very different, and vastly better. 

I checked the notes and I figured it out (sort of). The list calls out titles that automatically enable AFMF if you press the "HYPR-RX" toggle. For all other titles that supported AFMF, which includes all DX11 & DX12 titles, you have to manually enable it in the game (per-app) settings within the AMD driver. Not the global graphics settings. 

Be aware that HYPR-RX enables things like Radeon Boost (automatically lowers resoltuion based on camera movements) and driver level FSR called RSR. https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/hypr-rx I personally wouldn't touch that feature but it's their for... someone 🙂

image.thumb.png.5ee2393d5bb60f4ba69a0bd4f9d64717.png

I agree that so far, AMFM is "neat" but really doesn't offer anything better than a display level motion interpolation. 

Just a note, I was getting bad frame pacing issues on the preview driver in normal gameplay without any of the new features enabled. Had to use DDU to completely remove the driver and clean install the latest stable driver to resolve it. 

I'd imagine these pacing issues probably also dampened the FSR3/AFMF experience. 

• Thanks 1

Owned

Full Rig Info

A review from TPU: 

WWW.TECHPOWERUP.COM

Forspoken has been updated with official support for AMD's FidelityFX Super Resolution 3 (FSR 3), which includes their new software-based Frame Generation technology, Fluid Motion Frames. In this...

Speaking of image quality, it is important to note that in order to use AMD's Frame Generation solution, the Super Resolution upscaling component is required. Unfortunately, the image quality of the Super Resolution component isn't improved with the third version of FSR, and the game is still essentially using FSR 2 for upscaling, which, as we have tested numerous times, has major instabilities in motion, especially at lower resolutions. Forspoken in particular is a fast paced action game with a lot of small particle effects on screen during combat and the FSR upscaling solution just fails to render these details, producing a very blurry, pixelated and aliased image in motion, especially at 1080p and 1440p resolutions. Also, the FSR upscaling has very noticeable disocclusion artifacts around main character.

Because the Super Resolution upscaling component is required for Frame Generation to work—all of these image quality issues are transformed into generated frames and they are even more noticeable when Frame Generation is enabled, creating an even more unstable image in motion. However, there is a "Native AA" mode available in the FSR 3 quality settings, which runs the Super Resolution technology without its upscaling component, similarly to NVIDIA's DLAA, but with a higher performance cost in comparison to the native TAA solution. With native FSR enabled, the overall image is sharper, but still has shimmering issues, disocclusion artifacts and pixelated particle effects, they are just a bit less visible. On the good side, AMD's Frame Generation solution does not have any issues with the in-game on-screen UI, the area where DLSS Frame Generation often has issues

Frame pacing issues confirmed. 

Owned

Full Rig Info