Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, register to take part in our community, don't worry this is a simple FREE process that requires minimal information for you to signup.

Registered users can: 

• Start new topics and reply to others.
  • Show off your PC using our Rig Creator feature.
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get updates.
  • Get your own profile page to customize.
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.
  • Upgrade to Premium to unlock additional sites features.
IGNORED

US government warns Nvidia

UltraMega

Raimondo isn't happy about Nvidia simply redesigning its chips to circumvent US export rules, threatening that "If you redesign a chip around a particular cut line that enables them to do AI, I'm going to control it the very next day."

With around 25% of Team Green's data center revenue coming from China, Nvidia has warned about the impact these bans will have on its bottom line. CFO Colette Kress previously said they would also result in a permanent loss of opportunities for the US to compete and lead in the Chinese market.

Raimondo acknowledged the financial impact the export bans have on companies, adding that there are more important things than money. "I know there are CEOs of chip companies in this audience who were a little cranky with me when I did that because you're losing revenue," she said. "Such is life. Protecting our national security matters more than short-term revenue."

US government warns Nvidia against circumventing China export restriction by redesigning chips | TechSpot

Hopefully this isn't too political. This seems to be the biggest new on this topic in a while.

Just from a financial standpoint, this type of news has been sending Nvidia's stock price through a lot of ups and downs. One day the US updates it's export ban list and Nvidia stock goes down, shortly after Nvidia releases new chips to sell internationally and their stock goes back up, and the cycle repeats. It seems this could be an end to that cycle, but I have no doubt Nvidia's stock will only take a small hit. Right now they might as well be selling water in the desert, there's not a lot that can slow them down. Every chip they can make for AI will have a buyer willing to pay a lot, be it in the US or elsewhere. 

It always makes me pause to think that Nvidia, the company I've been buying GPUs to game on since Battlefield 1942 came out on PC in 2001 now has such a pivotal role in vital tech.  

Edited by UltraMega

Owned

CPU: 5800x
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS TUF Gaming B550-Plus
RAM: XMP 3600mhz CL16
GPU: 7900XT
SOUNDCARD: Sound Blaster Z 5.1 home theater
MONITOR: 4K 65 inch TV
Full Rig Info

Related News:

This might be why the RTX 4090 is getting so expensive:

The RTX 4090, despite being one of the best graphics cards you can buy, has been the center of controversy over the last few months. The powerful consumer graphics card has seen price increases while GPU prices seem to be falling elsewhere, and we might finally know why.

Thousands of RTX 4090 graphics cards are being repurposed as AI chips in China, reports Wccftech. Just days before the report, a ban on AI chips sold to China from the U.S. went into effect, which includes the RTX 4090. The report states that Nvidia prioritized “a large chunk” of RTX 4090 graphics cards to China a few days before the ban went into effect.

This might be why the RTX 4090 is getting so expensive | Digital Trends

Wasn't really aware that 4090's were getting so expensive until someone asked me about one recently, and sure enough they are going for around $2400+ now. 

Not totally clear on the sequence of events here but it seems that Nvidia's decision to prioritize China for 4090 shipments recently has left other markets lacking, but I suppose the ban will bring prices down soon. 

I don't think it's a stretch at all to say that AI is very weaponizable, and in that sense Nvidia is starting to have more and more in common with a company like Lockheed Martin. It's fascinating to watch this play out. I can't think of any other large company that's stumbled into being so vital to national security interests just by making entertainment products. I wonder if Nvidia would be in this position if they had never purchased Ageia for PhysX, it seems like that's when GPGPU and CUDA started to take off which sort of set GPUs on a path to become more than just graphics chips. 

Owned

Full Rig Info

3 hours ago, UltraMega said:

Related News:

This might be why the RTX 4090 is getting so expensive | Digital Trends

Wasn't really aware that 4090's were getting so expensive until someone asked me about one recently, and sure enough they are going for around $2400+ now. 

Not totally clear on the sequence of events here but it seems that Nvidia's decision to prioritize China for 4090 shipments recently has left other markets lacking, but I suppose the ban will bring prices down soon. 

I don't think it's a stretch at all to say that AI is very weaponizable, and in that sense Nvidia is starting to have more and more in common with a company like Lockheed Martin. It's fascinating to watch this play out. I can't think of any other large company that's stumbled into being so vital to national security interests just by making entertainment products. I wonder if Nvidia would be in this position if they had never purchased Ageia for PhysX, it seems like that's when GPGPU and CUDA started to take off which sort of set GPUs on a path to become more than just graphics chips. 

Isn't that why there's going to be a 4090-D?  I think that was what I read / saw about that.  I don't remember where I heard that though.

Owned

CPU: Ryzen 7900x
GPU: Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX
PSU: Cooler Master 850w Platinum
CPU COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid PL360 Flux
MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte B650 Aorus AX
SSD/NVME: Solidigm P41 Plus 2TB Gen4 NVME
RAM: G.Skill Flare X DDR5-6000
CASE: HAF700 Berserker
Full Rig Info

Too much

Owned

CPU: AMD Opteron 180 @ 3.0GHz
MOTHERBOARD: Asus A8N SLI
RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS DDR400 @ 2.5-3-3-6
PSU: eVGA 600BQ
GPU: Sapphire HD5870
SOUNDCARD: Asus Xonar DG
OPTICAL: DVDRW with Lightscribe
SSD/NVME: 64GB HP 2.5" SSD
Full Rig Info

Too much

Owned

CPU: AMD Athlon 1100MHz
MOTHERBOARD: ECS K7S5A
RAM: 2x256MB Corsair XMS DDR400 @ 133MHz / CAS2
PSU: Antec 350w
GPU: ATI Radeon 9800 PRO
SOUNDCARD: Creative Live! 5.1
OPTICAL: LG 16x DVD-ROM
OPTICAL 2: IOMagic 48x16x48 CDRW
Full Rig Info

1 hour ago, pioneerisloud said:

Isn't that why there's going to be a 4090-D?  I think that was what I read / saw about that.  I don't remember where I heard that though.

That is or was Nvidia's plan but it seems unclear if they will still be able to do that after the government basically warned them to stop redesigning chips to get around the bans. 

Owned

Full Rig Info

https://www.guru3d.com/story/nvidia-no-longer-a-graphics-company/

CEO [Jensen] sent out an email on Friday evening saying that everything is moving to deep learning and "We're no longer a graphics company". Nvidia, known for its longstanding role in video card manufacturing, has traditionally served both consumer and professional markets, maintaining a strong presence in the industry for over a decade. The company's position, however, is evolving, with a shift in identity from being solely a graphics card producer to embracing a broader technological spectrum. Jensen Huang, CEO of Nvidia, has articulated a change in the company's self-perception, no longer seeing it as exclusively a graphics card entity. This reorientation is fueled by diversified revenue sources, especially from the rapidly growing artificial intelligence (AI) sector.

Edited by UltraMega

Owned

Full Rig Info