Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, register to take part in our community, don't worry this is a simple FREE process that requires minimal information for you to signup.

Registered users can: 

• Start new topics and reply to others.
  • Show off your PC using our Rig Creator feature.
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get updates.
  • Get your own profile page to customize.
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.
  • Upgrade to Premium to unlock additional sites features.
IGNORED

MSI H310I Pro no post with a RX 570 only?!

InverseTundra

Ive got a real interesting issue im curious if any of yall have experience or ideas whats going on. I just picked up a MSI H310I Pro with a Intel I3-9100F off ebay. Got the parts in and found the cooler had broken off and was tumbling around the case during transit. Tested just the cpu and some ram, No issues. Posted just fine as far as i could tell with no gpu ( went through all the post lights no issues ). I then assembled the system thinking i was golden. Go to boot it up, and im stuck on cpu post. System is the above with a Gigabyte Aorus RX570, 16gb (2x8) Geil 3000mhz ram, and a 128gb m.2 ssd. Black screen and gpu fans not running. They move for a half second on initial start but nothing else. Unplug gpu, Golden. So i thought either my gpu is dead or the pci slot is bad. Put gpu back into my old system, boots no questions asked. Install a old gtx 780 to the msi board, Bam boots no issues everything detected. I updated the bios to the latest version and tested again, No change. Also tried 2 other known good power supplies, No change. Im at an absolute loss on whats going on with this combo of parts. Anyone have any clue? Thanks~

Edited by InverseTundra

• InverseTundra changed the title to MSI H310I Pro no post with a RX 570 only?!

You may need to update the bios to your GPU. Some AMD 500 series GPUs actually won't work in newer systems without a bios update. I ran into the same issue myself and it was definitely confusing at first.

I think this is what you need: https://www.amd.com/en/support/gpu-firmware-download  

Owned

CPU: 5800x
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS TUF Gaming B550-Plus
RAM: XMP 3600mhz CL16
GPU: 7900XT
SOUNDCARD: Sound Blaster Z 5.1 home theater
MONITOR: 4K 65 inch TV
Full Rig Info

On 11/19/2020 at 12:43 AM, UltraMega said:

You may need to update the bios to your GPU. Some AMD 500 series GPUs actually won't work in newer systems without a bios update. I ran into the same issue myself and it was definitely confusing at first.

I think this is what you need: https://www.amd.com/en/support/gpu-firmware-download  

That link is for the Fury X and Nano, but i did try some other bios versions. I tried all 3 from gigabytes website and one from techpowerup. Im not sure if i should try another manufacture's bios maybe? Do you think there is a chance that would work? But all the versions i tried had the same result. Half second fan spin at best and no post. Stops on cpu for all versions. All the gpu bios versions support uefi so i dont think its a bios issue but at this point it could be anything. Maybe msi just has it out for this card lol.

4 hours ago, InverseTundra said:

That link is for the Fury X and Nano, but i did try some other bios versions. I tried all 3 from gigabytes website and one from techpowerup. Im not sure if i should try another manufacture's bios maybe? Do you think there is a chance that would work? But all the versions i tried had the same result. Half second fan spin at best and no post. Stops on cpu for all versions. All the gpu bios versions support uefi so i dont think its a bios issue but at this point it could be anything. Maybe msi just has it out for this card lol.

All I know for sure is I had to update the bios on an AMD RX 480 to get it to work on one of my PCs even though it worked fine in another. Something to do with UEFI compatibility. There was an official update for it when I did it. The 480 and 570 are pretty similar so it sounds like the same issue to me. 

If you already updated the bios of the video card and it's still not working then IDK, must be a different issue. 

Owned

Full Rig Info

This is something I faced before and I will also echo that I had to update the GPU BIOS to get it UEFI compatible, then it worked. 

Have you also updated the mobo BIOS and tried resetting the Mobo by removing the battery to reset the DMI Pool Data. Had to do this back in the day, not for a long time though, but another possibility. 

The other thing I can suggest is putting another GPU in the first PCI-E Slot and then put the non working one in the next slot. If you can get in the BIOS via the first slot GPU you may be able to play around with the PCI-E links gen to another gen and try with the non working GPU back in the first slot.

£3000

Owned

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D
MOTHERBOARD: MSI Meg Ace X670E
RAM: Corsair Dominator Titanium 64GB (6000MT/s)
GPU: EVGA 3090 FTW Ultra Gaming
SSD/NVME: Corsair MP700 Pro Gen 5 2TB
PSU: EVGA Supernova T2 1600Watt
CASE: be quiet Dark Base Pro 900 Rev 2
FANS: Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC x 6
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: Intel Core i5 8500
RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) Kingston 2666Mhz
SSD/NVME: 256GB Samsung NVMe
NETWORK: HP 561T 10Gbe (Intel X540 T2)
MOTHERBOARD: Proprietry
GPU: Intel UHD Graphics 630
PSU: 90Watt
CASE: HP EliteDesk 800 G4 SFF
Full Rig Info

£3000

Owned

CPU: 2 x Xeon|E5-2696-V4 (44C/88T)
RAM: 128GB|16 x 8GB - DDR4 2400MHz (2Rx8)
MOTHERBOARD: HP Z840|Intel C612 Chipset
GPU: Nvidia Quadro P2200
HDD: 4x 16TB Toshiba MG08ACA16TE Enterprise
SSD/NVME: Intel 512GB 670p NVMe (Main OS)
SSD/NVME 2: Samsung 1TB 980 NVMe (VM's)
SSD/NVME 3: 2x Seagate FireCuda 1TB SSD's (Apps)
Full Rig Info

16 hours ago, UltraMega said:

All I know for sure is I had to update the bios on an AMD RX 480 to get it to work on one of my PCs even though it worked fine in another. Something to do with UEFI compatibility. There was an official update for it when I did it. The 480 and 570 are pretty similar so it sounds like the same issue to me. 

If you already updated the bios of the video card and it's still not working then IDK, must be a different issue. 

I just tried a RX 470 i had laying around and same exact issue. But if i use the GTX 780 i have it boots no issues, Same with a GT 620. The system im testing on is a i5-6400 on a Asus Z270 Mark 2, Which is a newer and uefi board. All cards boot zero issues on the test system. But go to the MSI board and anything amd wont post. Updated the board to the lastest bios too. So perplexing that its amd only.

2 hours ago, ENTERPRISE said:

This is something I faced before and I will also echo that I had to update the GPU BIOS to get it UEFI compatible, then it worked. 

Have you also updated the mobo BIOS and tried resetting the Mobo by removing the battery to reset the DMI Pool Data. Had to do this back in the day, not for a long time though, but another possibility. 

The other thing I can suggest is putting another GPU in the first PCI-E Slot and then put the non working one in the next slot. If you can get in the BIOS via the first slot GPU you may be able to play around with the PCI-E links gen to another gen and try with the non working GPU back in the first slot.

Tried 4 bio's on the RX 570, Unless i try another manufacture bios on the card it hasnt worked. Motherboard was on the first release bios, updated to latest and no change. I did try resetting with the battery aswell. Sadly this is a ITX board so i got one slot. I can get into the bios with the Nvidia cards like i said above, ive tried changing the bios around with UEFI and CSM but it hasnt done anything. I can try dropping to 8x or pcie gen 2 to see if that helps. Such a odd and annoying issue. 

Hmmmm that is odd. Clearly that mobo has some form of disagreement with the AMD GPU's. I can only assume it is something at the BIOS/UEFI level that has not been addressed.

£3000

Owned

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D
MOTHERBOARD: MSI Meg Ace X670E
RAM: Corsair Dominator Titanium 64GB (6000MT/s)
GPU: EVGA 3090 FTW Ultra Gaming
SSD/NVME: Corsair MP700 Pro Gen 5 2TB
PSU: EVGA Supernova T2 1600Watt
CASE: be quiet Dark Base Pro 900 Rev 2
FANS: Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC x 6
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: Intel Core i5 8500
RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) Kingston 2666Mhz
SSD/NVME: 256GB Samsung NVMe
NETWORK: HP 561T 10Gbe (Intel X540 T2)
MOTHERBOARD: Proprietry
GPU: Intel UHD Graphics 630
PSU: 90Watt
CASE: HP EliteDesk 800 G4 SFF
Full Rig Info

£3000

Owned

CPU: 2 x Xeon|E5-2696-V4 (44C/88T)
RAM: 128GB|16 x 8GB - DDR4 2400MHz (2Rx8)
MOTHERBOARD: HP Z840|Intel C612 Chipset
GPU: Nvidia Quadro P2200
HDD: 4x 16TB Toshiba MG08ACA16TE Enterprise
SSD/NVME: Intel 512GB 670p NVMe (Main OS)
SSD/NVME 2: Samsung 1TB 980 NVMe (VM's)
SSD/NVME 3: 2x Seagate FireCuda 1TB SSD's (Apps)
Full Rig Info

On 11/20/2020 at 7:23 PM, InverseTundra said:

I just tried a RX 470 i had laying around and same exact issue. But if i use the GTX 780 i have it boots no issues, Same with a GT 620. The system im testing on is a i5-6400 on a Asus Z270 Mark 2, Which is a newer and uefi board. All cards boot zero issues on the test system. But go to the MSI board and anything amd wont post. Updated the board to the lastest bios too. So perplexing that its amd only.

Tried 4 bio's on the RX 570, Unless i try another manufacture bios on the card it hasnt worked. Motherboard was on the first release bios, updated to latest and no change. I did try resetting with the battery aswell. Sadly this is a ITX board so i got one slot. I can get into the bios with the Nvidia cards like i said above, ive tried changing the bios around with UEFI and CSM but it hasnt done anything. I can try dropping to 8x or pcie gen 2 to see if that helps. Such a odd and annoying issue. 

Very odd. Try setting your bios to defaults and see what happens. I wish I could remember more about exactly how I fixed the issue when I had it. I think it actually was a motherboard bios update that fixed it for me now that I'm thinking more about it but my pc was older and you already updated your mobo bios anyway. 

Owned

Full Rig Info