Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, register to take part in our community, don't worry this is a simple FREE process that requires minimal information for you to signup.

Registered users can: 

• Start new topics and reply to others.
  • Show off your PC using our Rig Creator feature.
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get updates.
  • Get your own profile page to customize.
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.
  • Upgrade to Premium to unlock additional sites features.
IGNORED

Folding Team Competition?

BWG

@ENTERPRISEhow's it goin? Remember that thing we used to do over there? I would like to motion for a Team Competition that is completely revamped and possibly shortened to make it less painful to join. I think every Editor can remember the benefits for the folding team this had. I believe at one point, over 70% of the monthly points were from TC.

I heard @axipherwas a statics genius, and the stats site is still functioning and intact as far as I can tell. I led all i7's this month hahaha! 1337Lutz is still around to possibly help.

Untitled.thumb.png.8575d2a20bf2bd3efcde726fe991fe17.png

Owned

CPU: 5600x
GPU: EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
GPU 2: EVGA RTX 3080ti FTW3 Ultra
GPU 3: EVGA RTX 3080ti XC3 Hybrid
GPU 4: EVGA RTX 3070ti FTW3 Ultra
GPU 5: MSI RTX 3070 Gaming X Trio
GPU 6: Asus RTX 2080ti ROG STRIX
GPU 7: EVGA RTX 3080ti FTW3 Ultra
Full Rig Info

Yeah, I'm still hosting the site for it, I think Lutz still has access to it.

BWG, I'm pretty sure we never changed credentials, so you should still be able to access all the management stuff if you remember how to.

We can probably scrounge together some teams between both sites if we wanted to go that way.

Im happy to discuss Ideas for it but ultimately It would come down to someone to run point on this and work with me/others to make it happen.

£3000

Owned

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D
MOTHERBOARD: MSI Meg Ace X670E
RAM: Corsair Dominator Titanium 64GB (6000MT/s)
GPU: EVGA 3090 FTW Ultra Gaming
SSD/NVME: Corsair MP700 Pro Gen 5 2TB
PSU: EVGA Supernova T2 1600Watt
CASE: be quiet Dark Base Pro 900 Rev 2
FANS: Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC x 6
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: Intel Core i5 8500
RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) Kingston 2666Mhz
SSD/NVME: 256GB Samsung NVMe
NETWORK: HP 561T 10Gbe (Intel X540 T2)
MOTHERBOARD: Proprietry
GPU: Intel UHD Graphics 630
PSU: 90Watt
CASE: HP EliteDesk 800 G4 SFF
Full Rig Info

£3000

Owned

CPU: 2 x Xeon|E5-2696-V4 (44C/88T)
RAM: 128GB|16 x 8GB - DDR4 2400MHz (2Rx8)
MOTHERBOARD: HP Z840|Intel C612 Chipset
GPU: Nvidia Quadro P2200
HDD: 4x 16TB Toshiba MG08ACA16TE Enterprise
SSD/NVME: Intel 512GB 670p NVMe (Main OS)
SSD/NVME 2: Samsung 1TB 980 NVMe (VM's)
SSD/NVME 3: 2x Seagate FireCuda 1TB SSD's (Apps)
Full Rig Info

23 minutes ago, axipher said:

Yeah, I'm still hosting the site for it, I think Lutz still has access to it.

BWG, I'm pretty sure we never changed credentials, so you should still be able to access all the management stuff if you remember how to.

We can probably scrounge together some teams between both sites if we wanted to go that way.

Yeah, I have most of it, but a lot of the saved PM's on OCN got nuked in one of the shuffles it appears. I did access a few items for passkeys and such, so I know everything seems in-tact. I knew the next requirement would ensue, so I could help if needed. Time is a little more on my side now.

16 minutes ago, ENTERPRISE said:

Im happy to discuss Ideas for it but ultimately It would come down to someone to run point on this and work with me/others to make it happen.

What's the salary like? ?

Edited by BWG

Owned

Full Rig Info

8 hours ago, BWG said:

Yeah, I have most of it, but a lot of the saved PM's on OCN got nuked in one of the shuffles it appears. I did access a few items for passkeys and such, so I know everything seems in-tact. I knew the next requirement would ensue, so I could help if needed. Time is a little more on my side now.

8 hours ago, BWG said:

Premium account ? ?

£3000

Owned

Full Rig Info

Owned

Full Rig Info

£3000

Owned

Full Rig Info

Alright, we will get to work on something! If anyone else would like to share some ideas that participated in TC Previously, let's hear them!

Edited by BWG

Owned

Full Rig Info

Someone had floated the idea (over on OCN, was that you @BWG) of pooling all the interested folders, and then doing a draft to fill out the teams.  I think that is a decent idea, because it might even things out a bit.  I know that I was generally able to recruit people for my team, but that wasn't always the case with other teams, and I had an advantage since I was the Editor of the BOINC section.

Outside of having enough folders interested in joining, the most important thing will be to have a reliable stats site.  Not sure how specifically you want to structure the teams, but we could look at CPU, GPU-O (open), NVIDIA, and AMD.  Balance is always tough unless there is a full roster for every team.   

Folding@Home Staff
1 hour ago, tictoc said:

Someone had floated the idea (over on OCN, was that you @BWG) of pooling all the interested folders, and then doing a draft to fill out the teams.  I think that is a decent idea, because it might even things out a bit.  I know that I was generally able to recruit people for my team, but that wasn't always the case with other teams, and I had an advantage since I was the Editor of the BOINC section.

Outside of having enough folders interested in joining, the most important thing will be to have a reliable stats site.  Not sure how specifically you want to structure the teams, but we could look at CPU, GPU-O (open), NVIDIA, and AMD.  Balance is always tough unless there is a full roster for every team.   

Oh yeah, that was me, but it was something the 'High Performing' Team Captains would never agree to since they earned their rank, and at that time, prizing was involved. 

Axipher, and I remember a lot of those past discussions, but really, let your ideas just flow. We want to consider doing something different. One thing's for certain, it needs to remain a competitive folding event that is elite folding. High overclocking! Highly competitive, but there's some consideration for shortening the time frame to make more people attracted to it in our current environment.

I don't really know what happened with the stats site after my last departure, but I can say one thing, it needed managed. We had far less unresolvable problems on tc.folding.net where everything was accessible, and at least 1 of the 2 original creators were involved. For the most part, things were fairly good with the stats site, and it was evolving before I left. Countless times I was begging 1337Lutz to repair issues with it, and it was something that needed repeated frequently with certain changes in the collection of data. 

Categories are fun! We have to keep those, but I am somewhat opposed to bringing CPU's into the event this time around. Also, I prefer smaller teams. I imagine Axipher, or I will put up a post with a fillable form for people to express interest. We're also unsure of whether it will be an EHW Exclusive or Cross-Forum. That's something we've always restricted to be on 1 site only and you were required to fold for the hosting forum. But, given the nature of this folding team and it's newness, a concession might be made.

I'd welcome more veteran's to come discuss the re-incarnation of Team Competition! 

Edited by BWG
  • Thanks 1

Owned

Full Rig Info

Folding@Home Staff - Team Lead

I should be able to fold with some lesser cards, but my 3 best rigs won't be available for a couple weeks.

Owned

CPU: Ryzen 9 5950x
MOTHERBOARD: B550 PG Velocita
RAM: 4x8GB Ballistix
GPU: RX 6900 XT
PSU: LEADEX V Platinum 1KW
CASE: QUBE 500
SSD/NVME: T-FORCE CARDEA A440 PRO
Full Rig Info

Cheap

Owned

CPU: Ryzen 5 5500
MOTHERBOARD: X470 TAICHI
RAM: Crucial Ballistix MAX 2x8GB
PSU: EVGA SUPERNOVA P5
SSD/NVME: Silicon Power A60 256GB
GPU: Quadro M4000
GPU 2: Quadro M4000
GPU 3: Quadro M2000
Full Rig Info

Folding@Home Staff
14 minutes ago, damric said:

I should be able to fold with some lesser cards, but my 3 best rigs won't be available for a couple weeks.

This might take a little bit to plan out. I'd say they'll be ready well before going live with the event again. Besides, 1337Lutz has not told me how many dinners he needs to help, if he will.

Edited by BWG

Owned

Full Rig Info

Folding@Home Staff
2 minutes ago, tictoc said:

I'm all about competition.  Once upon a time I had a TC 290 OC'd to the moon, and it was beating 290X's, 390X's, and maybe even a Fury or two. :devil:

I'll be around to lend a hand with anything you guys need, and I'll start brainstorming on some ideas for the reincarnation of the TC. :cheers:

It's going to take a lot of PM's this time around.

OCN migrations deleted my script I used too!

Owned

Full Rig Info

At some point we will have our own dedicated stats site for EHW, However I am happy to have a domain setup for any custom stats/site that has to be created in the meantime if that becomes the case.

£3000

Owned

Full Rig Info

Owned

Full Rig Info

£3000

Owned

Full Rig Info

5 hours ago, BWG said:

Oh yeah, that was me, but it was something the 'High Performing' Team Captains would never agree to since they earned their rank, and at that time, prizing was involved. 

Axipher, and I remember a lot of those past discussions, but really, let your ideas just flow. We want to consider doing something different. One thing's for certain, it needs to remain a competitive folding event that is elite folding. High overclocking! Highly competitive, but there's some consideration for shortening the time frame to make more people attracted to it in our current environment.

I don't really know what happened with the stats site after my last departure, but I can say one thing, it needed managed. We had far less unresolvable problems on tc.folding.net where everything was accessible, and at least 1 of the 2 original creators were involved. For the most part, things were fairly good with the stats site, and it was evolving before I left. Countless times I was begging 1337Lutz to repair issues with it, and it was something that needed repeated frequently with certain changes in the collection of data. 

Categories are fun! We have to keep those, but I am somewhat opposed to bringing CPU's into the event this time around. Also, I prefer smaller teams. I imagine Axipher, or I will put up a post with a fillable form for people to express interest. We're also unsure of whether it will be an EHW Exclusive or Cross-Forum. That's something we've always restricted to be on 1 site only and you were required to fold for the hosting forum. But, given the nature of this folding team and it's newness, a concession might be made.

I'd welcome more veteran's to come discuss the re-incarnation of Team Competition! 

And for those of us who weren't involved before, how was it structured? Not that I will have any valuable feedback but I don't have any frame of reference

Folding@Home Staff

I'll fix that from being required. ?

You'd have to expand the spoiler and click the links in the op of the sign-up thread.

Edited by BWG

Owned

Full Rig Info

Folding@Home Staff
20 minutes ago, Avacado said:

@BWG Can you help me get HFM going to view like you have it in your sig? 

I'll make a guide tonight or tomorrow night.

• Thanks 2

Owned

Full Rig Info

Folding@Home Staff
40 minutes ago, Avacado said:

Ok, thank you! I will be trying to link 4 different rigs. 

Oh man! That part was the hardest. Are they at least on the same network?

Edited by BWG

Owned

Full Rig Info

Just now, BWG said:

Oh man! That part was the hardest. Are they at least on the lame network?

I'm going to be honest. Past DHCP auto assignment, I couldn't tell you the IP addresses. I will have to take a deep look at my network and get it functional. 

Folding@Home Staff
3 minutes ago, Avacado said:

I'm going to be honest. Past DHCP auto assignment, I couldn't tell you the IP addresses. I will have to take a deep look at my network and get it functional. 

As long as they are on the same network, it should not be too hard. Of course, if the local ip renews, then you'd need to change the client config for sharing, or figure out how to make the local ip static. I'm not much of a networking guru, but ipconfig will give you the local ip on each machine. Are they all running Windows?

Owned

Full Rig Info

8 minutes ago, BWG said:

As long as they are on the same network, it should not be too hard. Of course, if the local ip renews, then you'd need to change the client config for sharing, or figure out how to make the local ip static. I'm not much of a networking guru, but ipconfig will give you the local ip on each machine. Are they all running Windows?

Yes, they are. I'll see what I can do when you link the guide. Not going to have an anxiety attack just yet. 

Looks like the router sees all 4, even though only 1 is wired?? LOL

ip.png.c73964746993d3910ff2034d8ec4776e.png

I can extend or eliminate the lease times to keep addresses consistent, would prefer that to making static IPs. 

DHCP.png.002a13b9617588ea1ece708b57770792.png

NVM, max lease time is 48 hours. 

Edited by Avacado

Folding@Home Staff
8 minutes ago, Avacado said:

Yes, they are. I'll see what I can do when you link the guide. Not going to have an anxiety attack just yet. 

Looks like the router sees all 4, even though only 1 is wired?? LOL

ip.png.c73964746993d3910ff2034d8ec4776e.png

I can extend or eliminate the lease times to keep addresses consistent, would prefer that to making static IPs. 

DHCP.png.002a13b9617588ea1ece708b57770792.png

NVM, max lease time is 48 hours. 

Mine's DHCP too. My clients keep the same address mostly as long as they're still plugged in or the wireless config isn't deleted.

Owned

Full Rig Info

Just now, BWG said:

Mine's DHCP too. My clients keep the same address mostly as long as they're still plugged in or the wireless config isn't deleted.

No worries. I have been reading some crash course material on Static with my router, I think I can handle it if need be.