Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, register to take part in our community, don't worry this is a simple FREE process that requires minimal information for you to signup.

Registered users can: 

• Start new topics and reply to others.
  • Show off your PC using our Rig Creator feature.
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get updates.
  • Get your own profile page to customize.
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.
  • Upgrade to Premium to unlock additional sites features.
IGNORED

Do or don't, B350 vs B550

Go to solution Solved by ENTERPRISE,

-How I ended up in this situation:

Ok so I'm one of those guys who bought a B350 early on in the Ryzen experience, and paired it with a R7 1700... then upgraded to a 2700x.... and now running a 3900x in it... 

I can get the latest greatest B550 version of my current board for 100$ right now (sale price, normally 160$)

-What I'm asking:

Should I do it?

I'm leaning to NO, but am I missing something?  

-Pro's of the switch:

NVME support of PCIE 4.0 drives for possible future upgrades as well as native support for 2 NVME drives (currently using an adapter for my second NVME)

Better VRM's should I ever decide to take advantage of my custom loop and go for a crazy overclock.

Opens up the possibility of CPU upgrade in future as well as faster RAM upgrades (although this is unlikely for me until AM5 comes out)

-Cons:

$$ I really don't like spending money for something that probably won't show any real benefit

Possibly having to reinstall windows... actually I would likely do it anyway

Possibly introduce issues that I don't have, my system now is very stable, as is folded for a week on cpu and gpu without crashing stable.

-Side points:

I'm not suffering from overheating VRM's (don't recall ever seeing it go over 60C under stock settings)  oh and I have checked by other than senor methods just to make sure.

My current board (asus tuf B350M plus gaming) was one of the many who's vrm's were rated as good enough for the top tier 3000 series cpu's at stock and even overclocking so long as good fans were cooling the VRM's... clicky  For those wondering, I have always and will always dedicate a fan to my VRM's so long as I am using a custom loop

The RAM speeds are limited on this board however due to the poor traces, but I am able to run my RAM at it's rated speeds with significantly tightened timings

I don't do all core OC'ing although, I have tested and can hit 4.3ghz with no trouble on this board... and although I don't leave it on auto, PBO on auto will usually push an all core of 4.2ghz on it's own

Normally I opt for a more power limited scenario just for the point of not using to much power, usually undervolted and power limited to 110w or less... at these settings I get near stock PBO performance but CPU and VRM temps rarely cross 50C under full load.

Edited by Minotaurtoo

I don't have an expert opinion on the subject, but if you don't like spending money on something that you might not feel performance wise than I would keep the money in my pocket for something that does make a significant difference. 
On the other hand, $100 is not too expensive and you could sell your B350 for whatever they go for. 

Owned

CPU: Intel Core i9 13900KF
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z690 HERO
RAM: G.SKILL Trident Z5 6400CL30-38-38-28
PSU: Corsair AX1600i
GPU: Galax 4090 Hall Of Fame OCLabs Edition
Full Rig Info

• Solution

Reading your post the benefits to upgrading are:

1. PCIe 4

2. Extra NVMe 

3. Future CPU pathway.

It sounds like you have a nicely tuned system as it is and you are not having any issues with it. Unless you really want or need any of the above 3 points, I would not upgrade.

I mean the upgrade is relatively cheap but you have to factor in time to re-tune the system as well. Not always just about the cost in $.

I would personally leave it. Your only missed benefit is PCIe 4, but unless you are needing faster NVMe drives, there is no point. GPU,s do not really benefit from PCIe 4 yet in and meaningful way.

• Thanks 1

£3000

Owned

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D
MOTHERBOARD: MSI Meg Ace X670E
RAM: Corsair Dominator Titanium 64GB (6000MT/s)
GPU: EVGA 3090 FTW Ultra Gaming
SSD/NVME: Corsair MP700 Pro Gen 5 2TB
PSU: EVGA Supernova T2 1600Watt
CASE: be quiet Dark Base Pro 900 Rev 2
FANS: Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC x 6
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: Intel Core i5 8500
RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) Kingston 2666Mhz
SSD/NVME: 256GB Samsung NVMe
NETWORK: HP 561T 10Gbe (Intel X540 T2)
MOTHERBOARD: Proprietry
GPU: Intel UHD Graphics 630
PSU: 90Watt
CASE: HP EliteDesk 800 G4 SFF
Full Rig Info

£3000

Owned

CPU: 2 x Xeon|E5-2696-V4 (44C/88T)
RAM: 128GB|16 x 8GB - DDR4 2400MHz (2Rx8)
MOTHERBOARD: HP Z840|Intel C612 Chipset
GPU: Nvidia Quadro P2200
HDD: 4x 16TB Toshiba MG08ACA16TE Enterprise
SSD/NVME: Intel 512GB 670p NVMe (Main OS)
SSD/NVME 2: Samsung 1TB 980 NVMe (VM's)
SSD/NVME 3: 2x Seagate FireCuda 1TB SSD's (Apps)
Full Rig Info

That's what I was thinking, but wanted to ask just in case I was missing something major... I've been known to not know everything lol... Honestly, the dread of retuning a system is nearly enough to keep me from upgrading even when needed, and right now, thanks to Ryzen my PC is actually exceeding my needs. ?

Folding@Home Staff - Team Lead

I'm not impressed by any of the 500 series boards really. The good ones are way overpriced. Keep that 300 series board until you absolutely must upgrade it for something you actually need.

I have three B450 rigs and two X470 rigs and they do what I need. One of the X470s now runs a 5800x with 64GB of RAM without any issues. The other runs a 3600 with 32GB RAM.

I don't need faster NVMe drives, I need MORE NVMe drive slots and more USB ports, and that's about the only reason I could see swapping any of my boards out.

• Thanks 1

Owned

CPU: Ryzen 9 5950x
MOTHERBOARD: B550 PG Velocita
RAM: 4x8GB Ballistix
GPU: RX 6900 XT
PSU: LEADEX V Platinum 1KW
CASE: QUBE 500
SSD/NVME: T-FORCE CARDEA A440 PRO
Full Rig Info

Cheap

Owned

CPU: Ryzen 5 5500
MOTHERBOARD: X470 TAICHI
RAM: Crucial Ballistix MAX 2x8GB
PSU: EVGA SUPERNOVA P5
SSD/NVME: Silicon Power A60 256GB
GPU: Quadro M4000
GPU 2: Quadro M4000
GPU 3: Quadro M2000
Full Rig Info

• 1 month later...

A little late to the party, but my 2 cents......

I bought a B450 board myself even though X570 and B550 boards were available (got it cheap).  Honestly, those couple of reasons aren't worth an upgrade to me personally.  Adapters work fine for NVME drives if you really have a need for it.  CPU expansion, you've already got a 3900x you said.  My philosophy in this particular instance is going to be, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".  Unfortunately with Ryzen CPU's, there's such a limited margin for tuning and overclocking, its just not worth the hassle and cost of upgrading a motherboard alone....in my opinion.

• Thanks 1

Owned

CPU: Ryzen 7900x
GPU: Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX
PSU: Cooler Master 850w Platinum
CPU COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid PL360 Flux
MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte B650 Aorus AX
SSD/NVME: Solidigm P41 Plus 2TB Gen4 NVME
RAM: G.Skill Flare X DDR5-6000
CASE: HAF700 Berserker
Full Rig Info

Too much

Owned

CPU: AMD Opteron 180 @ 3.0GHz
MOTHERBOARD: Asus A8N SLI
RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS DDR400 @ 2.5-3-3-6
PSU: eVGA 600BQ
GPU: Sapphire HD5870
SOUNDCARD: Asus Xonar DG
OPTICAL: DVDRW with Lightscribe
SSD/NVME: 64GB HP 2.5" SSD
Full Rig Info

Too much

Owned

CPU: AMD Athlon 1100MHz
MOTHERBOARD: ECS K7S5A
RAM: 2x256MB Corsair XMS DDR400 @ 133MHz / CAS2
PSU: Antec 350w
GPU: ATI Radeon 9800 PRO
SOUNDCARD: Creative Live! 5.1
OPTICAL: LG 16x DVD-ROM
OPTICAL 2: IOMagic 48x16x48 CDRW
Full Rig Info

well my question may have answered itself today... turned on the pc... boot started... turned off... press power button... turned on but with device digital signature error... powered off and unplugged.... turned on again and voila normal boot... ran some tests (sfc, stress, mem, etc) and no failures... hmmm maybe just a random glitch... turned off and back on... started booting, turned off... ok, this is annoying... tried to get into bios... no go... unplugged, turned on, into bios no issues... turned off fast boot and secure boot... booted into windows just fine.... then power off and power on.... started booting, turned off... tried to just power back on... no good, weird black screen error about possible corrupt file... power off, unplug and power on,  booted normally... soooo... sound like motherboard failing to you?

Edit:  now that I think about it I may have been missing some warning signs earlier... about 3 weeks ago one of my USB hubs went out, or so I thought.... I bought a new hub... no good... gave up and just ran wires to the back of the pc, still had issues... finally managed to get everything plugged in a place that it worked.... and my dumb but blamed it on the devices being stubborn and bad connections.

Edited by Minotaurtoo

I have two B550 systems and neither board was over $100. I don't see much point in spending that much on B550. If you want to spend that much on a motherboard you should be looking at 570 boards imo. 

• Thanks 2

Owned

CPU: 5800x
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS TUF Gaming B550-Plus
RAM: XMP 3600mhz CL16
GPU: 7900XT
SOUNDCARD: Sound Blaster Z 5.1 home theater
MONITOR: 4K 65 inch TV
Full Rig Info

well... despite the fact that I had decided not to do it... the fate gods spoke and said... your motherboard is going to take a dump....so it did... (details above)... like literally right after I had made my mind up not to buy it....

I bought the newer version of my board... a much improved one too I might add... kind of impressed actually... many features that I wouldn't really expect on a B550 board...like bios flashback.  There is also a weird "performance enhancer" apparently designed by The Stilt... and it works... not sure if it's stable or not, but it'll hold an all core of nearly 4.3ghz during a cinebench run and under light loads hits and holds over 4.4ghz... and single core it will hit and hold 4.6+ (usually 4.65)... for actual demonstrable improvements, it's only a little bit, but given it actually uses less wattage than PBO and yields better results, I'm impressed....

Thanks again to all who responded, and had I not started having problems, I would have certainly kept my old board

TLDR, is it worth buying a new motherboard if you don't have issues with your old board?... Nope.